Cairns - summer port day

Two questions please.  Can more than one cruise ship dock/tender at Cairns on the same day?

Suggestions please for non- ship tour ideas for port day in  Cairns especially for someone who likes walking & nature (realise it will be hot).

Thinking Botanical Gardens & aquarium but up for any other suggestions.

No kids.  Two adults.

Have done Skyrail to Kuranda on previous ship visit.

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Two questions please.  Can more than one cruise ship dock/tender at Cairns on the same day?

Suggestions please for non- ship tour ideas for port day in  Cairns especially for someone who likes walking & nature (realise it will be hot).

No kids.  Two adults.

Thanks 

I think the dock is 550 long but can only take one ship at a time.

There used to be a mob that did a day trips to Cooktown but I can’t seem to find them . Like you said it’s going to be hot.

I don’t know how much you want to spend but we can dream 

https://www.nautilusaviation.com.au

We spent an hour or so at the Cairns Museum on the corner of Lake and Shields Street. It covers the history of Cairns very well and it was really interesting. It is just over a ten minute walk from the cruise ship terminal.

• Thanks 1

Two days ago @portofcairns published photos of Quuen Elizabeth  294 mtrs and Noordam 285mtrs both moored at Cairns Cruise Terminal. They were reposted by Dundees On The Waterfront. Great walk along the Esplanade then round trip to the railway station . Cheers, Buzz.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

No kids.  Two adults.

Thanks 

What time do you dock?  I did a beautiful walk along the Esplanade early in the morning in the cool.  Lots of birds on mud flats if the tide is out.  Muddy's Cafe is a popular cafe on the Promenade to stop to have a drink.  Lots of locals there having breakfast. 

Botanical Gardens is known for having one of the best collections of tropical plants and is well worth a visit.

You could catch a local bus to one of the northern beaches, like Palm Cove, and walk along the beach. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I think the dock is 550 long but can only take one ship at a time.

There used to be a mob that did a day trips to Cooktown but I can’t seem to find them . Like you said it’s going to be hot.

I don’t know how much you want to spend but we can dream 

https://www.nautilusaviation.com.au

There could be day trips to Port Douglas, but there wouldn't be day trips to Cooktown. It is much too far.

22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There could be day trips to Port Douglas, but there wouldn't be day trips to Cooktown. It is much too far.

I have done it on a cruise years ago, we flew to Cooktown . 
A small bus picked us up in Cooktown and did a bit of a tour .

38 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I have done it on a cruise years ago, we flew to Cooktown . 
A small bus picked us up in Cooktown and did a bit of a tour .

I don't think Cooktown is so great that I would take a flight as a day trip from Cairns. Port Douglas and the Daintree are worth a day trip.

2 hours ago, BuzzBuzzen said:

Two days ago @portofcairns published photos of Quuen Elizabeth  294 mtrs and Noordam 285mtrs both moored at Cairns Cruise Terminal. They were reposted by Dundees On The Waterfront. Great walk along the Esplanade then round trip to the railway station . Cheers, Buzz.

Also occurred a couple of months ago with 2 x P&O ships, Explorer and Encounter.

Next double-take in more ways than one - Coral Princess and Island Princess berthed end to end on 23rd February.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

We visited the aquarium in August. Walked from the port and spent a few hours there. We really enjoyed our visit.

Thank you, it's good to hear as that is what my family and I plan to do on our shore day, together with a dip in lagoon 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think Cooktown is so great that I would take a flight as a day trip from Cairns. Port Douglas and the Daintree are worth a day trip.

I wasn’t just Cooktown it was mostly the Scenic flight, I would do it again 

35 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I wasn’t just Cooktown it was mostly the Scenic flight, I would do it again 

I knew the attraction was the scenic flight, as we thought of doing that flight once.  It is really beautiful country where the rainforest meets the beach.  We have stayed at Cooktown and I went there this year on a cruise - interesting historic town.  

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I knew the attraction was the scenic flight, as we thought of doing that flight once.  It is really beautiful country where the rainforest meets the beach.  We have stayed at Cooktown and I went there this year on a cruise - interesting historic town.  

The drive up to Cooktown is interesting too. We went there for a few days on one of our FNQ holidays some years ago. 

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I like Cooktown but I haven’t been there for a long time.

The museum is interesting,they have a heap of glass tubes in there . They are the results of lightning hitting the sand dunes.

• Thanks 1

In Cairns a couple of weeks ago. Luminosa and a smaller ship in port (Coral Adventures?)

Very hot so I'd plan an early walk if docking early. The Esplanade has a lovely long walk along waterfront with adjacent parklands. Some memorials further up.

Great idea to take swimmers and enjoy the beautiful lagoon on way back to ship. Little shade though. And remember, if docking Wednesdays that the lagoon is closed until after lunch for cleaning each week.

12 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

In Cairns a couple of weeks ago. Luminosa and a smaller ship in port (Coral Adventures?)

Very hot so I'd plan an early walk if docking early. The Esplanade has a lovely long walk along waterfront with adjacent parklands. Some memorials further up.

Great idea to take swimmers and enjoy the beautiful lagoon on way back to ship. Little shade though. And remember, if docking Wednesdays that the lagoon is closed until after lunch for cleaning each week.

Thanks for that.  Cruise departing Brisbane on 4/12, Cairns is Wednesday from 10-7pm, so early evening walk along the foreshore would be nice.  Thanks for information re closing of the lagoon on Wednesday mornings.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks for that.  Cruise departing Brisbane on 4/12, Cairns is Wednesday from 10-7pm, so early evening walk along the foreshore would be nice.  Thanks for information re closing of the lagoon on Wednesday mornings.  

Cairns forecast for Wednesday, 7/12 looks like a lovely mild day. 

26-28c,feels like 30c,, mostly sunny, wind 11 km/h, 9% chance of rain, 10 UV reading very high,

sunrise 5.35am sunset 6.41 pm.

24 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Two ships can dock was on Dora when her big sister also docked in Cairns. Botanical Gardens first up then pub or aquarium both involve liquids .

Hemingway's Brewery Cairns Wharf is a heritage listed venue located at the Cairns Liner Terminal in Cairns with views across Trinity inlet. It was very popular when I was in Cairns this year.