Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

My take on this is that the OBC you received was due more to the other issues you listed than because your cruise missed Coco Cay. We have received onboard OBC at a similar level (when staying in a suite) because of onboard issues similar to those you experienced - without ever missing a scheduled port of call.

Could be, I honestly hadn't thought of that! Our cabin attendant has been very apologetic, and I do feel for the crew.

3 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Your probably in an interior room for $500.  What do you care?   Are you even impacted or just here to be a Karen. 

WOW.  The other poster is also on your sailing, so of course they are impacted.  Whatever cabin they have booked is their business.  Someone in an interior cabin has the same right to be upset as someone in a suite!

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Deez123 said:

Sitting at airport, waiting to board.  Got the text but no email.   From this thread I see RCL knew about this 24 hrs ago.   Do better RCL.  You know full well many people leave day prior and you sat on the info.  1/7 refund is not enough.  Now I have to book another hotel room and food for another day.   I’m sure it won’t be 1/7 either, there will be some BS reason why it’s not that amount. Fees/taxes etc

They don’t bother to refund port charges any more either. 

edit:  Some additional context for my anger here.  Originally booked for Dec.   They swap ship and downgrade us from 2 Bedroom grand suite with no comp.  4 weeks later they cancel the cruise… why?  They are using the ship for promo purposes.  BS.  Gave 1 option for same itinerary at retained price.   That’s this cruise.   Which by the way had sky high airfare due to holiday 

1/7 if we get it, doesn’t cover the “fixed” costs of parking and airfare for a shorter trip.  Maybe $100 OBC for my $10k fare would be in order. 

4 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Correct.   Ours will not.  Why?  Because we were made aware of the delay BEFORE we left.  Actually as we were getting in the car to head to airport. 

I checked fights and price went from $500pp to $800pp (x4) to switch days.  Plus we would loose hotel night and parking for the day anyway.  

Made more sense to take the original flight and pay for another hotel night. 

Okay, you have now lost all credibility.  You really need to get your story straight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

They are offering the passengers on the shortened cruise quite a bit:

Onboard Credits:

Since we’re cutting our cruise short, we’ll provide you with the value of 1 day of your cruise fare as a refundable onboard credit. Plus, you’ll receive a prorated refundable onboard credit for any pre-cruise packages you have purchased, including RoyalUp. If you pre-purchased any Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for Nassau, they will be refunded as a refundable onboard credit. All of these credits will be applied to your Onboard Account and can be used anywhere onboard. Any remaining amounts after your cruise ends will be refunded to your card on file.

What they’re “offering” is a return of charges WE’VE paid. Either for the cruise fare, excursions or any other packages we’ve already paid for but obviously cannot receive because we’re not onboard.  They are giving us the points for the day that was cancelled, so from what it appears to me that’s the only thing I’m being offered. I would expect to receive a refund for the one day we’ve lost because they cancelled it.

So an extra point  isn’t what I consider quite a bit. 

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Where do you see what they got for missing coco cay? I'd be interested in knowing.

I've missed ports this year for weather and gotten nothing. Please post what they got for missing coco cay. 

Someone posted in this thread that they received 400 when they missed coco cay on this cruise. We’ve never had anything like that in any of our cruises, not even refund of port charges

1 hour ago, Wheels87 said:

Exactly why do you say that? 

From my own personal experience, I have been on 35 cruises and three of them have been interrupted by medical emergencies and another by severe fog. That's more than 10% of the time. The cruise contract discussed these very issues. To say that people need to be flexible when cruising is "Utter nonsense" contradicts the history of cruising.

From our experience just this year, we’ve had this happen on our TA on Odyssey in April where we lost a really good port and had an added sea day which made us have more days at sea, and now this cruise. This is our 4th cruise so far this year, so for us it’s happened 50% of the time.

The credit given to us for missing CoCo was dependent on your stateroom category. The person who got $400 was in a suite. Balconies got $200 plus $50 for 3rd and 4th guest.

By comparison, average cruise fare for a family of 4 on this cruise was about $5k, so that would have been over $700 refund.

I do think Royal was very generous and what they gave us for missing Coco, but I don't think it was a vastly superior compensation compared to those missing a day and getting 1/7 back. Yes missing a day sucks, but things happen.

Many people on this cruise, while enjoying the free day, did not choose this. It just happened to us.

• Like 1

I am sorry I don’t think it’s bitching as some here have stated. I think we have some legitimate concerns and questions. I for one don’t think it’s fair for us not to get a full points for a 7 day cruise just for us losing a day off of the cruise at no fault of our own. Here again I understand things happen but Royal Caribbean needs to be fair across the board to all the ones who are still onboard and us boarding a day later now. People who live close to the port are not being inconvenienced as much as the ones who live out of state and much further away. We deserve equal compensation for us being inconvenienced.

Edited by Alabamacruiser1969
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alabamacruiser1969 said:

I am sorry I don’t think it’s bitching as some here have stated. I think we have some legitimate concerns and questions. I for one don’t think it’s fair for us not to get a full points for a 7 day cruise just for us losing a day off of the cruise for no fault of our own. Here again I understand things happen but Royal Caribbean needs to be fair across the board to all the ones who are still onboard and us boarding a day later now. People who live close to the port are not being inconvenienced as much as the ones who live out of state and much further away. We deserve equal compensation for us being inconvenienced.

Why does Royal have to compensate you? I am not understanding this? Why are you not contacting the family with the medical emergency? I can see if Royal did not maintain something on the ship and knew about it before sailing that caused a delay. Medical of a guest should not make them hand out feebies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alabamacruiser1969 said:

I am sorry I don’t think it’s bitching as some here have stated. I think we have some legitimate concerns and questions. I for one don’t think it’s fair for us not to get a full points for a 7 day cruise just for us losing a day off of the cruise for no fault of our own. Here again I understand things happen but Royal Caribbean needs to be fair across the board to all the ones who are still onboard and us boarding a day later now. People who live close to the port are not being inconvenienced as much as the ones who live out of state and much further away. We deserve equal compensation for us being inconvenienced.

I think I read you DO get full pts for the 7 days. .. 

And sounds like when you board you will get more obc for hotel etc. See above.

• Like 1

For right or for wrong, it does seem to matter that it's a holiday cruise in terms of compensation. We were also on the ill-fated Odyssey Christmas cruise in Dec. 2021--after we visited CocoCay, every single other port rejected us due to COVID, resulting in 7 sea days.

We were given half of our cruise fare in refundable OBC, which is the most OBC I will likely ever see again, unless there's some fresh hell out there we have yet to experience lol. Still a fantastic cruise (one of our favorites of the 20 cruises we've been on), and a great ship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mreimer said:

Why does Royal have to compensate you? I am not understanding this? Why are you not contacting the family with the medical emergency? I can see if Royal did not maintain something on the ship and knew about it before sailing that caused a delay. Medical of a guest should not make them hand out feebies. 

Well to answer your snarky answer to my question is that the current people still onboard are getting compensation by Royal Caribbean. Correct me if I’m wrong I don’t think the family of the one with the medical condition is compensating those passengers so all I am saying is Royal Caribbean needs to be fair across the board on the compensation to all who were affected by this the one’s still onboard and the one waiting to board a day later now.

Edited by Alabamacruiser1969
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alabamacruiser1969 said:

Well to answer your snarky answer to my question is that the current people still onboard are getting compensation by Royal Caribbean. Correct me if I’m wrong I don’t think the family of the one with the medical condition is compensating those passengers so all I am saying is Royal Caribbean needs to be fair across the board on the compensation to all who were affected by this the one’s still onboard and the one waiting to board a day later now.

I apologize if I came across as snarky as this was not my intention at all. I don’t care what other get or don’t get. I also am not looking for something for free. I just don’t see how Royal should compensate anyone for a guest having a medical issue. 

Edited by Mreimer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

AND from what I have read on "other" sites Royal is charging those still onboard for the extra day for the UBP and UDP  no free day

They are charging them half price. Good deal if you ask me. 

Edited by Mreimer

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

AND from what I have read on "other" sites Royal is charging those still onboard for the extra day for the UBP and UDP  no free day

Yes, there is a copy of the letter posted.  I think that is petty, especially for Voom.  Just expend it for free as they have done in the past.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mreimer said:

They are charging them half price. Good deal if you ask me. 

Half price based on the full onboard rate, not the sale prices we booked in advance.

Still worth it for an extra day on the ship, but a lot of strong opinions on this on the ship. I'm ok with it, but many are not.

• Like 4

Just now, jrapps said:

Half price based on the full onboard rate, not the sale prices we booked in advance.

Still worth it for an extra day on the ship, but a lot of strong opinions on this on the ship. I'm ok with it, but many are not.

Right! I think we need a new thread:

Diamond Plus - should I get the extended drink package for half price or just use my vouchers! Lol

I can see bitching if Royal caused this. This was an unforeseen medical emergency on board. Please are not paying for an extra day on board, food, entertainment, activities, and loyalty point. So to me $40 for a drink package for the day is not a big deal. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mreimer said:

Right! I think we need a new thread:

Diamond Plus - should I get the extended drink package for half price or just use my vouchers! Lol

I can see bitching if Royal caused this. This was an unforeseen medical emergency on board. Please are not paying for an extra day on board, food, entertainment, activities, and loyalty point. So to me $40 for a drink package for the day is not a big deal. 

Yeah. I know walking past guest services you just see the really unhappy people (those OK with it aren't waiting at guest services LOL) but some people are just unreasonable. One guy in front of me last night berated an officer for 30 minutes that he already paid 15k for his cruise and charging him another $100 for a day of internet for his 2 cabins of guests was a bridge too far. He wasn't leaving until he got special treatment (no, he never got it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Because more goes into a vacation.   I probably wouldn’t have laid out over $2k in airfare and parking for a 6 day trip.  

if position was reversed and you couldn’t make the ship due to an airline delay or medical emergency, would RCL refund you?   Nope.  They keep 100%.   Not too much to ask for a little something to recognize this caused a lot of expense and hassle for the 12k people without the medical emergency.   

Remember: If one of you family members has a medical emergency at sea this week, Royal Caribbean will inconvenience 12k people to take care of your loved one.  Surely your beloved are worth it and you would not want it any other way.  As a fellow guest I accept that.  If you cannot accept it, select a different form if vacation; cruising is not for you.

In fact, it did not have to be a passenger on the ship.  Hypothetically had Wonder of the Seas (or any other cruise ship) been the closest ship to a distressed vessel at sea, she would have diverted to render aid to a fellow mariner, which might hypothetically inconvenience you on future cruise.  If you don’t like that, don’t cruise.

You are supposed to buy travel insurance if you want a refund if You have a medical emergency or airline delay. Cancel for any reason insurance is also available; it would be employed in all sorts if circumstances such as itinerary changes.

Royal Caribbean encouraged people to purchase travel coverage.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Remember: If one of you family members has a medical emergency at sea this week, Royal Caribbean will inconvenience 12k people to take care of your loved one.  Surely your beloved are worth it and you would not want it any other way.  As a fellow guest I accept that.  If you cannot accept it, select a different form if vacation; cruising is not for you.

In fact, it did not have to be a passenger on the ship.  Hypothetically had Wonder of the Seas (or any other cruise ship) been the closest ship to a distressed vessel at sea, she would have diverted to render aid to a fellow mariner, which might hypothetically inconvenience you on future cruise.  If you don’t like that, don’t cruise.

You are supposed to buy travel insurance if you want a refund if You have a medical emergency or airline delay. Cancel for any reason insurance is also available; it would be employed in all sorts if circumstances such as itinerary changes.

Royal Caribbean encouraged people to purchase travel coverage.

We never travel without plenty of insurance. Hope we never have the need to use it.

• Like 3