Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

At the last minute Uber won out at 22.50.  I have to say the driver was like an autonomous car.   Didn’t get out of car to assist with bags and didn’t say a word for the entire trip.  I told Iain I have no intention of tipping a Robot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just a slight drizzle before the storm.  The trip to the airport took 12 minutes and SJC is really quiet. 

We started to stand on the first class line but saw a self drop off.  Just scan QR code and put on belt.  AwY it went

6C760758-E28E-4644-9365-2B2EC50FFB41.thumb.jpeg.63d01619685ee2df9c3c6731c5cb0b1c.jpeg

AEA27651-2A36-4E0E-8356-4F4BCA889769.thumb.jpeg.ea780162ae02668925597b4c382ac445.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rotoal said:

Global Entry is also a Real ID, it is easier than carrying a passport for domestic flights.   But for a cruise that goes anywhere outside of the U.S., I would still want to have my passport just in case.

You would think that would be true but I don't think it works that way. My son had an issue trying to use his Global Entry card, when he tried to use it instead  of his drivers license on a domestic flight.  Ridiculous IMHO as getting a Real ID is much easier than getting a Global Entry card as respects security checks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

At the last minute Uber won out at 22.50.  I have to say the driver was like an autonomous car.   Didn’t get out of car to assist with bags and didn’t say a word for the entire trip.  I told Iain I have no intention of tipping a Robot. 

We had the same experience.  He just sat there and watched two seniors struggling to get our bags in the car. Also no personality.  Is it a California thing? First time it's ever been that way for us on many trips.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Understand that my husband and I reached the Zenith level of the Captain's Club in 2016.  Through the years the "process" has changed.  In 2016 only the folks being recognized as new Zenith members were on the bridge.  In our case there were several other Zenith's onboard, which we knew, but they were not included. And we were not asked if we wanted to invite them.  Nor did the Captain's Club ask them either.  We did, however,  have a lovely private dinner with Captain Kate.  

Somewhere around 2018  or so the new Zeniths were either asked if they wanted to invite others, or simply (and I suspect this was the "new" standard) the Captain's Club host/hostess invited all of the Zenith's onboard, whether the newbie knew them or not.  We have attended a number of bridge "ceremonies" where we didn't know the folks at all.  

There is/was a facebook group hosted by a Zenith who now has been banned.  I never bothered to "friend" the organizer, but he and his wife certainly know who my husband and I are.  We have met them.  Becoming a "Zenith" was never a goal for us.  It just happened.  There are now so many Zeniths it is becoming, on some ships, rather unmanageable for the Captain's Club host/hostess, and I suspect Zenith's have, as mentioned by Jim, lost their sparkle, particularly to management as some have quite the ego.

Is it the egos (and I'm new to this Zenith thing so I can't speak to that)  or is it because many of us are "of an age" and not the demographic Celebrity prefers to cater to nowadays I wonder?  And are there really that many on most sailings? Again, new to this so i dont know the answer to that. Regardless it's still nice to get some extra perks and a free cruise, although some of the perks are worthless when you're in a suite. I honestly don't care all that much about the lunches or in person recognitions but I think they should be consistent sailing to sailing. I am bummed about lack of access to the Retreat lounge as I rarely find it really busy when I sail in suites so I feel this was an unnecessary cutback.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

AirTag confirmed bag and back pack on the plane.  

Love the AirTags, we have a set ready for our flights to Australia later this month...

Have a great flight and looks like you are leaving just in time.

Edited by Mark_T

2 hours ago, viperfoth said:

I know you stated the 'trick' to get HDMI selection using the Closed Caption before. But do all ships have this trick?

Keep us updated on how the Solstice has been updated for the TVs. Last we went (in AQ) they were roughly 36" TVs that were a bit thick and we had to unplug a MacMini (inside the nightstand) to get it connected.

This January we are all suite for a month in a CS so maybe its different now 🙂

Keep up the posts Jim_Lain... Love them (except for the gas price)

So far used on Edge,, Millennium, Silhouette and Summit.  

will let you know more on a totally non revolutionarized Solatice.   On all the other ship the TV’s are more of a monitor using a URL page. 

21 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

We’re on this cruise. On the freeway and should be there in about two hours. Please tell me the app is all we need to board! Never been on Celebrity. RS for our first time. Subscribed!!

Since they've done away with testing and showing vaccine cards, that's it.  I usually add the boarding passes to my apple wallet, although the last few cruises we just had to give them our name a cabin number without showing anything except our passports and covid stuff (our last X cruises all had vaccine and test requirements, which shouldn't be the case today).

Edited by abbydancer
  • Like 1

Glad I found this "live" and have finally caught up.

Will be sitting back &  following along.  We have never been on a Pacific coast cruise (yet). And I haven't been to Calif. in many, many, many years (I was 18, on a family summer trip to visit the grandparents).

Have a wonderful cruise.

Lorie

6 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I don't want any animals hurt in what I read. If I get an inking that might happen I sneak a peak at the last few pages and if the dog is mentioned, I will keep reading the book. Otherwise,back to the library it goes.

Laura

Me too Laura! Hijack done Jim 😊

Margaret. 

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The rains are common no ashore as we board.  We are scheduled for an on time departure 

CB845A2F-B710-4698-BF28-96F514993449.jpeg

Have a great cruise. Good thing you were going out of San Jose; San Francisco is such a nightmare when it rains.

Dianne