Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from Jim_lain! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Jim_Iain was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

It's that time again to enjoy life and relaxation at sea.   We set sail on Saturday out of San Pedro (LAX).   As usual all are welcome and feel free to chime in and add your comments.   If your on the cruise feel free to help out and post your observations and photos.

I was surprised to discover when I looked back at our cruise history that we have never sailed SOLSTICE before.   How did that happen?  

As many of you know Solstice was built in 2008 and is 14 years old.    She is a S-Class ship  and has not been revolutionized.  Her passenger load is 2,850-3,420 but by my count shows she  will be sailing at about 1,600.  She also has a maximum crew of 1,000.

Stock Photo with her Blue's on.

image.jpeg.2995b2f994d02ad820906b99522f1700.jpeg

• Like 28

First up will be our Itinerary -   Both cruises are identical so will only post the December 3 one.   So far this season Solstice has had a 7 day cruise with Cabo San Lucas and Ensanada.   I chose this one as it is 8 days and skips

Ensanada and does    and overnight in Cabos and does Mazatland and Puerto Vallarta.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/is/image/content/dam/celebrity/new-images/2023-mexican-riviera/Humpback-Whale-Cabo-San-Lucas-2560x1440.jpg?$24x5-large$

image.thumb.png.ca5bbd7314003e7d41cfdb955386b766.png

image.thumb.png.14586252ee9035cd68f9accdc5bde464.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 5

Thanks for being the first post.   Really looking forward to the cruise.   I know you will think we are wimps as you are from Illinois  but is 43 this morning and only 60 for a high today and are looking forward to nice warm temperatures.

Excellent! ... always enjoy these posts and ever grateful that you take the time to make them...

We are just about 4 weeks away from our Australia/New Zealand cruise on Eclipse, another un-revolutionized 'S' class ship, so we look forward to your comments on Solstice.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Excellent! ... always enjoy these posts and ever grateful that you take the time to make them...

We are just about 4 weeks away from our Australia/New Zealand cruise on Eclipse, another un-revolutionized 'S' class ship, so we look forward to your comments on Solstice.

I've been on Eclipse recently and really enjoyed her.   We aren't big on sunbathing and rarely use the Retreat Sundeck.  

Enjoy Australia and New Zealand.   We will be doing that cruise in about a year from now.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Bon voyage you two! Hope you have calm, safe, and (most importantly) healthy seas ahead!

Thanks -  Hope you are both ok and have only memories of your Covid experience.    Hopefully neither of us need to experience that again.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Enjoy your cruises!  Only one more sailing has Ensenada, the XMas sailing on XMas day, in the itinerary this season.  The Solstice's itineraries from now on this season are quite varied and can include ports of call in San Diego and/or Catalina island

I noticed that -   I'm not real big on Ensanada.   We've done the Catalina cruise on Millennium last year and really enjoyed.

33 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

Enjoy your cruise! As always, I am thankful that you bring us along so we can cruise vicariously though you. 

Thanks Mickey -  from your FB posts look like Erin is off the ship.    Any idea yet what her next posting will be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for being the first post.   Really looking forward to the cruise.   I know you will think we are wimps as you are from Illinois  but is 43 this morning and only 60 for a high today and are looking forward to nice warm temperatures.

You are not wimps.  43 is COLD.  Have a fabulous cruise.  Would appreciate all tips about embarcation at San Pedro as I've never sailed from there before.  Only San Diego.  Seems strange to fly all the way across the country for a cruise when I have many cruise ports practically in my back yard.

30 minutes ago, Stratford1950 said:

Hi Jim…

You mentioned in your last cruise about upcoming eye surgery. Has that happened and I hope it went well.

Everything is doing well.   I have an appointment on Thursday and get the stitches removed.  Yuck.   The Doctor said it is painless but I'm squeamish.    I didn't even realize there were still stitches after 8 weeks.

The good point is they did a cataract surgery at the same time and I no longer have to wear glasses. 

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You are not wimps.  43 is COLD.  Have a fabulous cruise.  Would appreciate all tips about embarcation at San Pedro as I've never sailed from there before.  Only San Diego.  Seems strange to fly all the way across the country for a cruise when I have many cruise ports practically in my back yard.

We are much milder than you in Florida.    We don't get humidity and most of the time Summer temps are between 70-80 but nights are in the 60's-70's.   We are suppose to get some rain later this week and may be also showers in LA for our departure.   After a 3 year drought we almost do a happy rain dance when we do get rains.

I've also never sailed out of San Pedro and will report on the experience.   Still trying to figure out if we take the shuttle to the LAX-IT lot for Uber or just pay the premium for Black and grab from the terminal. 

3 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I always love following along with you and Iain. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the heat while you can. I’ve been on the Solstice three times and loved the ship.

Thanks.   I was checking today and looks like night time temps of 70 and High of 78.   Perfect.

Yasss!  I’m so looking forward to going along on another Jim and Iain cruise!  

And this one will be especially helpful as I’m doing the Mexican Riviera cruise on Solstice in March (but with Catalina and Cabo as ports). I’ll have to make a stop for live review reading wine on my way home from work today!

That passenger count sounds heavenly to me, especially just after coming off the nearly full Beyond.

Safe, smooth, healthy travels and thank you   so much for taking us along!

Welcome to Southern California. We've never sailed out of California on Celebrity but we'd love to take a Pacific Coastal cruise someday. Maybe a Mexican Riviera if the price is right. The first Celebrity ship we sailed on was the Solstice to Alaska.

Looking forward to your live report.

Edited by scrapcreator