Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

Any idea where Marcela and Janet from the Retreat went? If you see Sinclair (room attendant) please say hi from us (the Moushons - broken royal suite in May)!

and if you like scotch ask Singh to make you a Monkey old fashion - my husbands favorite 

Edited by Rmoosh

19 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Having been there a number of times, 3 in the last year, I don't see much of a difference between the spots the different ships are in.  

By the way, we sometimes walk to a restaurant on the water called The Office on the Beach.  It's about a 20-30 minute walk, and quite good.  Apparently, it was the first of it's kind (DH knows of what kind but he's taking a nap).

Sadly, The Office is no longer in business.  We always loved it, and looked forward to going there during our cruise in September (2022).  We were disappointed to find out it closed due to the pandemic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShelleyQT said:

Sadly, The Office is no longer in business.  We always loved it, and looked forward to going there during our cruise in September (2022).  We were disappointed to find out it closed due to the pandemic.

We were there about a month ago, and it was booming.  Maybe you're thinking of a different place?  (or I am)

Edited by abbydancer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, abbydancer said:

We were there about a month ago, and it was booming.  Maybe you're thinking of a different place?  (or I am)

No, I'm definitely thinking of the Office.  We used to go there every time we went to Cabo, and we've been to Cabo many times.  It's a whole different place now (we didn't go in).  There is also the Mango Deck next door, which is extremely loud and boisterous, and always "hopping."  Mango Deck is not our kind of place, and although we did go in and order a margarita, it was not good (it was from a mix, not freshly made like the Office used to do).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShelleyQT said:

No, I'm definitely thinking of the Office.  We used to go there every time we went to Cabo, and we've been to Cabo many times.  It's a whole different place now (we didn't go in).  There is also the Mango Deck next door, which is extremely loud and boisterous, and always "hopping."  Mango Deck is not our kind of place, and although we did go in and order a margarita, it was not good (it was from a mix, not freshly made like the Office used to do).

Here's where we were, both in December 21 and November:

https://www.theofficeonthebeach.com/

I don't know when you were last there, but it's looked like this since my first visit in 2016.

Edited by abbydancer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, abbydancer said:

Here's where we were, both in April and November:

https://www.theofficeonthebeach.com/

That's the place (although the last time I was there, they had blue umbrellas up...maybe they take them down in the evening.  Anyway, I believe you when you say it was open in April, and maybe even in November, but it was all closed up in September.  Maybe they reopened, which would be awesome!

• Like 1

Just now, ShelleyQT said:

That's the place (although the last time I was there, they had blue umbrellas up...maybe they take them down in the evening.  Anyway, I believe you when you say it was open in April, and maybe even in November, but it was all closed up in September.  Maybe they reopened, which would be awesome!

That could be.  It may have just been a staff shortage that day, as they were definitely open both before and and after your September 2022 visit.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Didn't realize that.   I thought that was what was mentioned at the toast.

Jim:  We have been to Cabo on 8 to 10 port calls, most recently in September 2022, and even when the we are the only ship we tender.  I have never seen a cruise ship docked at Cabo and don't know where they would dock.  If something has changed in the past two months, please post a photo of a docked cruise ship.  And I also don't think there is a "preferred" tender location.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree.

I spoiled it for  Iain.   I was in Modesto visiting our daughter and we watched Jeopardy on Monday.   For some reason it wasn't blacked out there and I spoiled the TOC  and when I called him I said how surprised I was with  the bidding that gave Amy the win.

but awesome our Girl Amy won. It is a move forward for man kind and she is a local gal.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Beautiful night in  Cabo!  We stayed on the ship and had dinner on our balcony.

Lots of sea lions  barking in the background.

1BD5F9DC-917A-4343-B7CD-AFF38006E80D.thumb.jpeg.24af518e4c7a70d8d81deae25e5fc24c.jpeg

868CC11F-B88F-4439-88E2-7BFA167C319E.jpeg

MamaFej you were supposed to be here for this dinner, yes a little guilt tripping 😘

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, jelayne said:

MamaFej you were supposed to be here for this dinner, yes a little guilt tripping 😘

Yeah... I keep feeling jealous when I read this thread, then I remember why I had to bow out, and I feel better about it. 

We took the tender to port and walked over Los Deseos for dinner. It was very good but I grew tired of being asked if I wanted to get high. Numerous times they tried to sell us weed and Coke. A lot of people out and about tonight. 

Enjoying Starlink on this ship. Internet has been great. 

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

Beautiful night in  Cabo!  We stayed on the ship and had dinner on our balcony.

Lots of sea lions  barking in the background.

1BD5F9DC-917A-4343-B7CD-AFF38006E80D.thumb.jpeg.24af518e4c7a70d8d81deae25e5fc24c.jpeg

868CC11F-B88F-4439-88E2-7BFA167C319E.jpeg

We plan on having a few meals on our balcony as well 😜

• Like 1

I'm running behind after having our first Port of Call yesterday.    We arrived at 2:00 and tenders were running a bit slow.    we left the ship around 2:45 on our Tour -

4x4 Rugged Off road Adventure.   We didn't get back to the ship until 7:30 PM

_MG_0080.JPG

_MG_0030.JPG

_MG_0123.JPG

_MG_9915.JPG

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 8

22 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I’m sorry to intrude with another question: As a suite guest, is tipping advised/suggested/appreciated for services? I’m so accustomed to placing cash in outreached hands, but this feels very different to me. More like Crystal. I had one fellow refuse my tip. I couldn’t help but feel embarrassed. Was I gauche with tipping in this way?  We’re in 1239, btw. 🙂

No worries -  Nothing is off topic on my Live Posts as I also go way off topics at times.

Tipping is a personal choice.   I take into consideration that tipping is already based on 18%.    We always tip extra for good service.    If someone just does their job we do not feed compelled to tip extra.  

An example of going beyond is Singh in Retreat lounge.    First night he didn't have my Fre non-alcaholic wine but went out and found a bottle.   After the first night when he would hear us chatting with Mar he would Prepare Iain's Grey Goose and Tonic and my UN-Wine and have it sitting at the table for us.   

We always tip at the end of the cruise and write a personal note on a Thank You card.   As a general rule all tips in Luminae, Blu and MDR are pooled as well as bars.   I have been told by a HR manager that if you leave additional tips by placing a person's name on the Additional Tip form it goes to the individual.   She was the one who applied it to their payroll check.     I trust what she told me and have been personally thanked by the crew member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, janbear said:

I just asked my husband to buy myself a pair of these for Christmas! Thank you for the recommendation. I think we might have been booked in the same cabin coming up on Sunday but i managed to switch it to one on the next deck below thankfully. 

They do work.   I really can't say how they work but they use noise masking technology as oppose to noise cancelling.   I use a sound that is more like a meditation tone and really makes me sleep even if no noise.

Many of us that have a spouse that Breaths Heavy or Snores find them a solution.   I often use a silicon ear plug in one ear (the one down to pillow) and the Sleep bud in the other, but if the snoring get's lound  -- both are popped. in

image.thumb.png.3d53bf227e3affe3c3a8cf3863263ca2.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 39august said:

Jim,  how are you and Iain doing with the noise from the OVC above your suite?  Sorry, I posted just as janbear was posting above. 

You do hear it but become accustomed to it pretty quickly.   I'm glad we are on deck 11 next cruise.  It reminds me of or place in SF on a Cable Car Line. They are good about not doing it before around 8:00 or after 8 at night. 

22 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I bought them, based on Jim's recommendation earlier this year. They do work well to dampen noise, including snoring. However, for me, they are very uncomfortable. I am a side-sleeper, so I only wear one at a time (the other ear being buried in a pillow). When I almost inevitibly wake up during the night, I have to switch ears and sides. If Hubby isn't snoring too badly, I don't bother with them, and just play my sleep stories or soundscapes  on the phone. If he is, then the Bose buds come out. 

This is not to discourage you, just to make you aware of another experience. They do come with three sizes of silicone for the part that goes into your ear. Even the smallest is too large for me. Other folks find them to be comfortable. Hopefully, you will, too. 

LOL... I do the same.     

• Like 1

Your 4x4 off road adventure- did you return after dark?😱
I don’t see lights on the 4x4, I have just switched ours on and it is now 4 pm ( I so hate these dark late afternoons).

Edited by upwarduk

22 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

Both were excellent in the Solstice in September. We are not typically fans of Tuscan but it was delicious.

We were the same.  We had been disappointed in Tuscan but went on Silhouette and they had really upped their game.   We went more than once.   Saying that -  to me Murano is unbeatable and never been disappointed but on longer multi segment cruises their menu is rather limited.

• Like 1