Internet capacity on Regent

bluestocking7

42 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

We will be on Voyager in May and are looking forward to experiencing this improved experience. Or not. 

We were on Voyager in the Autumn and despaired at the dreadful internet speed.  We were advised that during the next upgrade, this would be a priority and would be greatly improved ( from someone in a position to know about such things and whose advice we trust).  Will that be before May?  I don't know!!  But I hope so, on your behalf @jeb_bud!

19 hours ago, slidebite said:

Of course. My point is my single connection you have per suite was dreadful as it was. Hotspotting that same connection (and sharing it with another device, or two, since that is what a hotspot is) would just be sharing be sharing an awful connection.

It's been 4 years since our last Regent cruise it was awful then. Maybe they're better now? :shrug:

Still awful

22 minutes ago, Gilly said:

We were on Voyager in the Autumn and despaired at the dreadful internet speed.  We were advised that during the next upgrade, this would be a priority and would be greatly improved ( from someone in a position to know about such things and whose advice we trust).  Will that be before May?  I don't know!!  But I hope so, on your behalf @jeb_bud!

Need a full hand if 5 fingers and perhaps more to count the number of times we have been promised better internet service without any improvement. 

Don’t hold your breath waiting for any improvement. 

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

>>Don’t hold your breath waiting for any improvement...

Tru dat.  Currently on the Explorer and wifi is as pokey and inconsistent as ever. 

Best use of the binoculars is to use them to wedge cabin door open.  If you do this when in port (and people are getting off of the ship) then things like email and connecting to Wordle are possible...  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, rkaratsu said:

Tru dat.  Currently on the Explorer and wifi is as pokey and inconsistent as ever. 

Best use of the binoculars is to use them to wedge cabin door open.  If you do this when in port (and people are getting off of the ship) then things like email and connecting to Wordle are possible...  

actually wedging the door open we used trash can does improve the internet significantly. 

reason is that the repeaters are in the hallways and each suite is fully encased ruth steel so this lets the signal in your suite.  Not the best solution but does help on all cruise ships. 

On our last cruise (Splendor, Dec 2022) it mattered little where you were. I had trouble sending texts in the Atrium sometimes. In each port, I turned on my cell signal and used data roaming to actually get anything done.  It remains a major fail on Regent's part!

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

the repeaters are in the hallways and each suite is fully encased ruth steel so this lets the signal in your suite.

I was told was that in the next upgrade, each suite will have a dedicated repeater.  I managed to upload my blog each day with quite heavy photo content, not from our suite but from a particular location on Voyager that I identified as having a stronger signal.  I had tried the open door solution already, finding it made little difference, sadly.

Internet at sea will never be the same as on land and as improvements have been made, then usage has also increased along with the average file sizes being moved around.  Before I attempt to upload anything, especially photographs, I edit to reduce file size and can usually manage some kind of success, even if it tries my patience at times.  

• Like 2

We did a med cruise last spring, what I found interesting (from an IT perspective) was where our internet connection showed that we were connecting from, Florida! I can look to see who is connecting to our system and from where, during the 14 days I connected from Florida 12 of those days. 

16 hours ago, rallydave said:

actually wedging the door open we used trash can does improve the internet significantly. 

reason is that the repeaters are in the hallways and each suite is fully encased ruth steel so this lets the signal in your suite.  Not the best solution but does help on all cruise ships. 

15 hours ago, Gilly said:

I was told was that in the next upgrade, each suite will have a dedicated repeater. 

Posts #96 & #104 on the following thread gives our experience with Wi-Fi repeaters on Regent ships (some are in the suites):

Our takeaway from our experiences on Mariner a year ago, and Splendor more recently, are:

- Some repeaters are in the suites; not just in the hallways

- If you have to go to the lengths of wandering around looking for a connection, propping suite door open, wearing a tin hat etc. then it is worth seeking help from the on board internet manager; who may in turn have to seek help from a ship's technical officer

- "3 bars" on your device confirms that you are connected to the nearest W-Fi repeater; however that repeater may not necessarily be connected to the internet 🤨

- Some internet managers are more au fait with the ship's Wi-Fi infrastructure than others 🙄

23 hours ago, rallydave said:

Need a full hand if 5 fingers and perhaps more to count the number of times we have been promised better internet service without any improvement. 

Don’t hold your breath waiting for any improvement. 

I know - remember the short-lived "fiber optic speeds for everyone on board" they were spouting a few years back?  More like 9.6 dial-up, really.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, LvnCruisin said:

We did a med cruise last spring, what I found interesting (from an IT perspective) was where our internet connection showed that we were connecting from, Florida! I can look to see who is connecting to our system and from where, during the 14 days I connected from Florida 12 of those days. 

That is because the HQ of the contracting internet company and its IT infrastructure is located in Malabar Florida.  Majority of cases will have the IP address from Florida.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, flossie009 said:

Posts #96 & #104 on the following thread gives our experience with Wi-Fi repeaters on Regent ships (some are in the suites):

Our takeaway from our experiences on Mariner a year ago, and Splendor more recently, are:

- Some repeaters are in the suites; not just in the hallways

- If you have to go to the lengths of wandering around looking for a connection, propping suite door open, wearing a tin hat etc. then it is worth seeking help from the on board internet manager; who may in turn have to seek help from a ship's technical officer

- "3 bars" on your device confirms that you are connected to the nearest W-Fi repeater; however that repeater may not necessarily be connected to the internet 🤨

- Some internet managers are more au fait with the ship's Wi-Fi infrastructure than others 🙄

We are on the Mariner right now. Wifi access is not a problem, we have all the bars. But Internet access is just terrible. And it is worse when we are in a port. According to the ship's internet guru it is a satellite issue.

As somebody else mentioned: just not enough bandwidth. And, therefore, Regent also blocks sites with video like YouTube and many others.

Right now, we are in the port of Callao, actually waiting to be getting to our pier. They just won't let us in blaming weather. But the weather is just fine according to our captain. Must be political weather. In any case, due to our location in the wider port area internet is even worse.

39 minutes ago, bitob said:

Silversea is getting starlink across the fleet. I’d bet Regent will follow

39 minutes ago, bitob said:

Silversea is getting starlink across the fleet. I’d bet Regent will follow

Carnival has also signed a Contract with Starlink for their services across their entire fleet including all Carnival Brands. 

3 hours ago, bitob said:

>>starlink coming to regent...

While whining to the IT guy here on the Explorer about the wifi, I asked about the future of Starlink. He said it was being tested on 6 NCL ships but also said that Starlink had limitations (and many places the Explorer goes wouldn't be in Starlink coverage).  

Personally, it seemed like he was already in CYA mode before Starlink even gets  to Regent... 🤔 (This message was created hassle-free in the Port Chalmers cruise terminal that has *fast*, free wifi.  No wonder there are tons of crew in here...) 

• Like 2

Do the cabins have a Cellular connection, so I can just connect my computer directly and not have to use WiFi?  If not in the cabins, are they anywhere on the ship that is accessible to passengers?   I've found on most lines the Internet is from bad to unusable.  Last cruise I was on, I sometimes got as fast as 8 MBps, but usually between 3 - 5.  Used to over 200 at home, and of course, don't expect anything like that onboard.

1 hour ago, gwesq said:

Do the cabins have a Cellular connection, so I can just connect my computer directly and not have to use WiFi?  If not in the cabins, are they anywhere on the ship that is accessible to passengers?   I've found on most lines the Internet is from bad to unusable.  Last cruise I was on, I sometimes got as fast as 8 MBps, but usually between 3 - 5.  Used to over 200 at home, and of course, don't expect anything like that onboard.

Nope - no direct connect...and you were lucky to 3 to 5.

1 hour ago, gwesq said:

No. And it is never cellular it would be a LAN line   Even with a LAN connection internet would be equally bad as the problems are usually not enough bsndwidth being bought by the cruise from satellite to the. Hip. 

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

No. And it is never cellular it would be a LAN line   Even with a LAN connection internet would be equally bad as the problems are usually not enough bsndwidth being bought by the cruise from satellite to the. Hip. 

There are connections on board that are extremely fast. The customer IT guy has one and so does the internal IT person who maintains the ships servers and computers. The ship also has a fast connection for navigational/command needs. A single limited bandwidth connection is used by all the staff and guests for personal use. This should be changing very soon.

14 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

There are connections on board that are extremely fast. The customer IT guy has one and so does the internal IT person who maintains the ships servers and computers. The ship also has a fast connection for navigational/command needs. A single limited bandwidth connection is used by all the staff and guests for personal use. This should be changing very soon.

I was speaking of the guest connections. Of course certain connections are unthrottled fo the cruise consultant snd senior officers for  navigational and company needs.  And for convenience are thru LAN connections which do avoid the steel limitations.  

36 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Yes - I meant LAN, don't know why I said Cellular - brain fog.