***HELP*** NCL AIR QUESTION

KAYKAY121

Has anybody gotten their flights from NCL and used one leg of the flight but not the other? I booked an earlier flight on another airline for the flight home since AA doesn't allow changes. We would get in just before Midnight and not get home before 2:00 AM on Monday morning. My flights last time were great. I knew I was taking a chance but we could drive home before this flight gets us there. 

Secondly, I called to let them know I had booked a different flight home and wouldn't be using the flight they booked. They want to charge me 100% of the airfare because we are within 75 days of travel. I didn't have my flight info 75 days out and they won't allow changes (FINE). What happens if I just don't get on that later flight? The airlines are not the same. I know it is not illegal but what will happen? Anybody know??? Are they going to charge me? I can use the other flights I booked at a later date if this is going to end up costing a fortune. I am under $300 RT for two including my new flights home so I may end up taking the late flight home. I wasn't expecting that flight since we are in ATL and so many connections go through there. 

If you miss any part of a flight, all further legs are normally cancelled, as you are not turning up for just the last leg there is no problem.
People often book a return if a return is less than a single, then not turn up for the return, you won't get a refund but as long as its the last leg you miss, no loss, no problem.

Edited by ziggyuk

3 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Look up throwaway ticketing if you want to know what could happen and what is likely to happen.

Looked it up before posting. It isn’t clear. My tickets are both one way and  on two separate airlines. I didn’t book my new ticket with either of those airlines. I would change and pay to change but the airline my return flight is on isn’t allowing a flight change. And I don’t have an issue with that. I just need to be home earlier.

10 hours ago, KAYKAY121 said:

Looked it up before posting. It isn’t clear. My tickets are both one way and  on two separate airlines. I didn’t book my new ticket with either of those airlines. I would change and pay to change but the airline my return flight is on isn’t allowing a flight change. And I don’t have an issue with that. I just need to be home earlier.

Ah, okay.  I misunderstood.  I thought you meant that your NCL flights were with one airline and the ones you booked were with another.  

So if your return flight is really one-way then I guess that would not be throwaway ticketing, at least from the airline's perspective.  

When you say NCL wants to charge you 100% do you mean on top of what you already paid, or just that they won't refund you anything for the flight that you don't want to take?  No refund seems quite understandable.  

8 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

Ah, okay.  I misunderstood.  I thought you meant that your NCL flights were with one airline and the ones you booked were with another.  

So if your return flight is really one-way then I guess that would not be throwaway ticketing, at least from the airline's perspective.  

When you say NCL wants to charge you 100% do you mean on top of what you already paid, or just that they won't refund you anything for the flight that you don't want to take?  No refund seems quite understandable.  

I don't want a refund. My flight cost is reasonable even with the flights I booked. I was told to call reservations and cancel my flight but I would be charged the value of the flight  per the cancellation schedule because we were within 75 days of travel.  I am undecided if we will be using the flights and changing our other flights to a later date. 

On 11/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, KAYKAY121 said:

They want to charge me 100% of the airfare because we are within 75 days of travel.

I guess I am struggling with what this means.  I interpreted it to mean, you wouldn't be getting any money refunded, which is understandable and what I would expect.  

With that in mind, I wouldn't even bother talking to NCL about it.  It's lost money at this point.  Just book your replacement flight and don't show up for the NCL flight.  There will be no repercussions.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this happens.  Not so much how the mistake happens (people hit wrong keys all the time), but how the mistake was allowed to go unnoticed until the flights were ticketed.  The deviations are right on the PDF confirmation you get when you book, as soon as you get it and review it, the mistake of the lack of deviation should be a clue to the mistake and THAT is the time to get it fixed.

And, OP, you're not the first this happened to, someone else recently posted the same issue, and the same lack of confirming details were correct.

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

With that in mind, I wouldn't even bother talking to NCL about it.  It's lost money at this point.  Just book your replacement flight and don't show up for the NCL flight.  There will be no repercussions.

This.  No need for NCL to know what you are doing if you are not taking their flights.

• Like 1

We did exactly this.  DW and I had the air promo.  Delta out, United back.  DD also on trip.  Got air details about 40 days out.  Air on United cheapest was $500 for DD coming back.  Could book all three of us on AA in first class for around $600 coming back.  Plus I detest UA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

We did exactly this.  DW and I had the air promo.  Delta out, United back.  DD also on trip.  Got air details about 40 days out.  Air on United cheapest was $500 for DD coming back.  Could book all three of us on AA in first class for around $600 coming back.  Plus I detest UA.

Thank you. I only called them to maybe get an understanding employee that MIGHT assist me with trying to change my flight (additional charges would have been OK) but what I got was you will have to pay a cancellation fee based on the fee schedule because you are within 45 days of sailing and you can't request changes or deviations to flights after 75 days. OH well, It is vacation and we are limited to days off so we are making it work. Just don't want surprise charges after we get back so I asked on here. 

1 hour ago, KAYKAY121 said:

Thank you. I only called them to maybe get an understanding employee that MIGHT assist me with trying to change my flight (additional charges would have been OK) but what I got was you will have to pay a cancellation fee based on the fee schedule because you are within 45 days of sailing and you can't request changes or deviations to flights after 75 days. OH well, It is vacation and we are limited to days off so we are making it work. Just don't want surprise charges after we get back so I asked on here. 

If they were open to making changes just imagine how many requests they would have to deal with!... I think it's quite understandable that they have to be firm on that.

22 hours ago, hallux said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this happens.  Not so much how the mistake happens (people hit wrong keys all the time), but how the mistake was allowed to go unnoticed until the flights were ticketed.  The deviations are right on the PDF confirmation you get when you book, as soon as you get it and review it, the mistake of the lack of deviation should be a clue to the mistake and THAT is the time to get it fixed.

And, OP, you're not the first this happened to, someone else recently posted the same issue, and the same lack of confirming details were correct.

At least in my case ( I just had this happen to me on an inbound flight) the confirmation PDF just shows where I am flying out of.  This is my first time on NCL and first cruise in a long time.  I had no idea that it should have said "deviation" on the PDF, so had no idea the agent missed it.  Did not realize until I got my flight information which is too late, and NCL will not change it, so I am out of luck and probably going to book a new flight the day before the boat departure as I had planned.  I will be out the money, but not willing to risk a delayed flight.  

I priced out what we would pay on our own and what the promo is and there is a huge difference, even when pricing the cheapest fares.  I am not sure how they even manage this promo.  We're going to bite the bullet and hope for the best, while expecting we will probably be disappointed at the same time.  Just want to get on the ship 🤞

14 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

I priced out what we would pay on our own and what the promo is and there is a huge difference, even when pricing the cheapest fares.  I am not sure how they even manage this promo.  We're going to bite the bullet and hope for the best, while expecting we will probably be disappointed at the same time.  Just want to get on the ship 🤞

That's our story too! I'll be updating everyone in March how well/not well it goes. I'm definitely concerned...anything free has a catch, right? 

14 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

I think it's partly buying in bulk, partly getting the low-yielding itineraries/schedules and maybe to some extent a loss leader.

I booked an earlier flight on another airline for the flight home since AA doesn't allow changes.

Can you explain what you mean by this? What do you mean they don't allow changes? I've never heard of that. Do you mean "free changes," or no changes at all? I think depending on the fare class you might have to pay a change fee, cancellation fee, or rebook fee, but in all my years of flying I've never heard of an airline saying you can't make any changes whatsoever. That would be news to me. Anyway, regardless, I hope it all works out for you, I can certainly understand wanting to get home earlier.

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Can you explain what you mean by this? What do you mean they don't allow changes? I've never heard of that. Do you mean "free changes," or no changes at all? I think depending on the fare class you might have to pay a change fee, cancellation fee, or rebook fee, but in all my years of flying I've never heard of an airline saying you can't make any changes whatsoever. That would be news to me. Anyway, regardless, I hope it all works out for you, I can certainly understand wanting to get home earlier.

NO CHANGES.... The fare going to MIA is changeable but the flight home is not. Two different airlines. 

1 minute ago, KAYKAY121 said:

NO CHANGES.... The fare going to MIA is changeable but the flight home is not. Two different airlines. 

Sorry, what I meant was, in your first part you said

I booked an earlier flight on another airline for the flight home since AA doesn't allow changes

So that led me to believe AA was originally in charge of both legs, but you elected to book your own flight back home on a different airline because American Airlines wouldn't allow changes. I was just curious what American actually said. I just found that weird.

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Sorry, what I meant was, in your first part you said

So that led me to believe AA was originally in charge of both legs, but you elected to book your own flight back home on a different airline because American Airlines wouldn't allow changes. I was just curious what American actually said. I just found that weird.

I am calling them today. I didn't have time yesterday. I tried to do it online and it won't let me. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

We usually fly United basic economy, no changes, not even with fees.