Upgrade Offer - opinions welcome!

mathed101

7 minutes ago, mathed101 said:

I decided to go with the Neptune suite! 

Since the price of the suite $3199 pp is out of our normal range the upgrade allows to try it without the full expense. Our cabin was $1169 with HIA and crew appreciation so I think we did pretty good!

I think that is good reasoning and a reasonable decision. I do not know what choice I would have made!

I should have pointed out earlier: coming from a Verandah booking, you will not get the double Mariner points for the upsell. Not to be a downer! but just don't expect them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mathed101 said:

Thanks so all of you for your opinions, they really helped me with the decision! 

Since the price of the suite $3199 pp is out of our normal range the upgrade allows to try it without the full expense. Our cabin was $1169 with HIA and crew appreciation so I think we did pretty good!

I only have three days to learn all about the Neptune. I have checked HAL's website and I will do some searching on CC. If anyone wants to tell me about any and all things that they like about the Neptune suite life, please do!! 🙂

Day one go to Lounge and meet your 2  concierge members. They will work effortlessly to make your cruise wonderful, booking excursions, dinners, ordering any special items to room (need a power strip, ask for one). If you do need to go to excursion desk or guest services, there is a separate Club Orange line you can use. The lounge has beverages (teas, soda, juice, alcohol) breakfast, lunch and snack items (mostly fruit, finger foods, etc to tyed you over until meal time). Enjoy snacks and drinks with other passengers or keep to yourselves in your cabin, no problem. As a Neptune guest you get priority boarding, tender, breakfast in PInnacle grill, priority seating/dining, Espresso machine in cabin, bose blue tooth speaker in room (if you have music downloaded on phone, etc. extra Orange Club menu item in MDR, disembarkment is anytime within early and late times. You will be spoiled...but if you need something just ask concierge.  Enjoy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I think that is good reasoning and a reasonable decision. I do not know what choice I would have made!

I should have pointed out earlier: coming from a Verandah booking, you will not get the double Mariner points for the upsell. Not to be a downer! but just don't expect them.

Thank you for pointing that out. It was definitely stated in the offer. What is interesting to me is that the first cruise we went on Hal was in 2019 and we upgrade from an OV on the Volendam to a Handicap Vista Suite and received the double Mariner points. Things have changed!

44 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Day one go to Lounge and meet your 2  concierge members. They will work effortlessly to make your cruise wonderful, booking excursions, dinners, ordering any special items to room (need a power strip, ask for one). If you do need to go to excursion desk or guest services, there is a separate Club Orange line you can use. The lounge has beverages (teas, soda, juice, alcohol) breakfast, lunch and snack items (mostly fruit, finger foods, etc to tyed you over until meal time). Enjoy snacks and drinks with other passengers or keep to yourselves in your cabin, no problem. As a Neptune guest you get priority boarding, tender, breakfast in PInnacle grill, priority seating/dining, Espresso machine in cabin, bose blue tooth speaker in room (if you have music downloaded on phone, etc. extra Orange Club menu item in MDR, disembarkment is anytime within early and late times. You will be spoiled...but if you need something just ask concierge.  Enjoy. 

Wow, thanks for all of that - everything sounds wonderful!! We could use some spoiling!  We will definitely go to the lounge on day one and meet the concierge members! 

I didn't remember about the breakfast in Pinnacle grill so that will be a nice. Is it crowded?

The priority boarding and tendering sound great, do I need to ask for a ticket or something?

What does priority seating/dining actually mean? 

I thought I read about High Tea in the suite, is that still an option?

23 minutes ago, mathed101 said:

Thank you for pointing that out. It was definitely stated in the offer. What is interesting to me is that the first cruise we went on Hal was in 2019 and we upgrade from an OV on the Volendam to a Handicap Vista Suite and received the double Mariner points. Things have changed!

I think you were lucky.  I’ve done many an upsell aka upgrade and have never gotten double points.  They have had this disclaimer on the upsells for as long as I remember. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mathed101 said:

Wow, thanks for all of that - everything sounds wonderful!! We could use some spoiling!  We will definitely go to the lounge on day one and meet the concierge members! 

I didn't remember about the breakfast in Pinnacle grill so that will be a nice. Is it crowded?

It can be, especially disembarkment day but don't let that discourage you.

The priority boarding and tendering sound great, do I need to ask for a ticket or something?

No. Your key card will be gold so that is your tender ticket when you show it getting off. 

What does priority seating/dining actually mean? 

There is a specific line/entry for Neptune and Club Orange members (to right of hostess) so less waiting. Seats are reserved usually by the windows in the MDR. 

I thought I read about High Tea in the suite, is that still an option?

Never did High Tea in suite (or on ship) as we usually would sit in lounge and meet new people (when not active on ship or on balcony). There is high tea and snacks there but I've heard mixed reviews on high tea in general. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think you were lucky.  I’ve done many an upsell aka upgrade and have never gotten double points.  They have had this disclaimer on the upsells for as long as I remember. 

We took an upsell on the Zaandam (where the Vista Suites are the lowest class with a balcony) in 2014 and did NOT get the additional 14 points... but we did have a lovely cabin for three adults! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

We took an upsell on the Zaandam (where the Vista Suites are the lowest class with a balcony) in 2014 and did NOT get the additional 14 points... but we did have a lovely cabin for three adults! 

We are going to try the Zaandam for the New England cruise in September. We have an OV partial obstruction like we did on the Volendam in 2019. The Vista Suite was very nice on the Volendam and we hope to make our 3rd Hal cruise in one as well if we get an upsell offer again. Fingers crossed!!

23 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Totally lucky! Plus the luckiest and best part for us was the huge balcony of the Vista HC suite on the aft starboard side! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, REOVA said:

It can be, especially disembarkment day but don't let that discourage you.

No. Your key card will be gold so that is your tender ticket when you show it getting off. 

There is a specific line/entry for Neptune and Club Orange members (to right of hostess) so less waiting. Seats are reserved usually by the windows in the MDR. 

Never did High Tea in suite (or on ship) as we usually would sit in lounge and meet new people (when not active on ship or on balcony). There is high tea and snacks there but I've heard mixed reviews on high tea in general. 

Thank you for answering my questions! I am taking notes!!

10 hours ago, mathed101 said:

If anyone wants to tell me about any and all things that they like about the Neptune suite life, please do!!

Our favorites parts are the complimentary laundry and dry cleaning, breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, the personalized attention from the Neptune concierges, and the great nibbly food in the Neptune Lounge throughout the day.

Congratulations on the upsell!  Have  a great time.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mathed101 said:

Thanks so all of you for your opinions, they really helped me with the decision! 

I only have three days to learn all about the Neptune. I have checked HAL's website and I will do some searching on CC. If anyone wants to tell me about any and all things that they like about the Neptune suite life, please do!! 🙂

I am currently enjoying my Neptune balcony  on Eurodam having taken the upsell from V to SB @ $599. Like you, getting an experience beyond the normal budget. At terminal had to mention we had priority embarkation (twice) to make sure we got in the upstairs (first boarding) seating area. (No big crowds so no big lines so they were just moving everyone in the same direction.) Once on board it's been all good. Room and perks are excellent. No regrets whatsoever! Bon voyage!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WannaSea said:

I am currently enjoying my Neptune balcony  on Eurodam having taken the upsell from V to SB @ $599. Like you, getting an experience beyond the normal budget. At terminal had to mention we had priority embarkation (twice) to make sure we got in the upstairs (first boarding) seating area. (No big crowds so no big lines so they were just moving everyone in the same direction.) Once on board it's been all good. Room and perks are excellent. No regrets whatsoever! Bon voyage!

I am so happy for you!! Thanks for the info...I cannot wait to enjoy our balcony! We love balconies!! 

What time did you get to the port? Was it before your assigned check-in time listed on your boarding pass?

20 hours ago, mathed101 said:

For us the most useful thing in our Neptune suite was access to the concierge in the Neptune lounge. Available all day, so every time I had a question or wanted to deal with something I just made the walk down to the lounge. I have lots of questions.

The room size and verandah were very nice, but we are okay with smaller size. The bathroom and closet space, however, were wonderful. We couldn't even use all the closet space, and two sinks in the large bathroom were nice.

We're trying to make the same decision about our next cruise on the Rotterdam: booked in a Neptune suite, but we've only paid the deposit. If we stay in the Neptune it will be for the concierge and other small conveniences. For example, it's nice to make a short walk for a snack or a drink.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mathed101 said:

I am so happy for you!! Thanks for the info...I cannot wait to enjoy our balcony! We love balconies!! 

What time did you get to the port? Was it before your assigned check-in time listed on your boarding pass?

Perk #1, assigned boarding was 11am first available. Perk #2 luggage tags changed to "Priority". Got there about 10:45, ushered to priority waiting room within 10 minutes. Boarding started about 11:15, preceded only by wheelchair assist people. After stepping on board we were alerted room wasn't ready yet so just went to Lido aft for an adult beverage then lunch in MDR (anyone can go but not many know it's available) which started at noon. When we got to the room, steward was waiting to say hi, luggage was in spacious room, complementary sparkling wine was on ice. First class. Balcony is large with 2 chairs & footstools and a table with 4 chairs for alfresco dining. Sorry can't post photos right now maybe later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

The room size and verandah were very nice, but we are okay with smaller size. The bathroom and closet space, however, were wonderful. We couldn't even use all the closet space, and two sinks in the large bathroom were nice.

I watched a youtube video tour of a NA Neptune suite from a travel agent and I just couldn't believe the amount of closet space! The guy who gives the tour happens to be 6'6" tall and when he said he could fit in the shower I was hooked! My husband is 6'5" so this will be so nice for him. The dual sinks and the size of the bathroom looks awesome as does the vanity space, which will be great for me!

We aren't too far from the lounge so I think that will be a big plus, but we will definitely have to put some time in walking around the ship!

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Do singles ever get an offer of up-grade. ?

I got an EXCELLENT upsale at a very reasonable price on my recent Eurodam cruise.  I would have taken it except that I had specific plans for my cabin.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WannaSea said:

Perk #1, assigned boarding was 11am first available. Perk #2 luggage tags changed to "Priority". Got there about 10:45, ushered to priority waiting room within 10 minutes. Boarding started about 11:15, preceded only by wheelchair assist people. After stepping on board we were alerted room wasn't ready yet so just went to Lido aft for an adult beverage then lunch in MDR (anyone can go but not many know it's available) which started at noon. When we got to the room, steward was waiting to say hi, luggage was in spacious room, complementary sparkling wine was on ice. First class. Balcony is large with 2 chairs & footstools and a table with 4 chairs for alfresco dining. Sorry can't post photos right now maybe later.

I just printed our luggage tags and they do say Priority on them so hopefully they will get to our room faster than the average. Our boarding pass still has a later time to board at 12:20 so I hope we will be able to still make it to the MDR for lunch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

My question is:  was the offer still available when you called back?  Generally you have to jump on the offer as soon as you get it, before it’s either sold out or they move onto another customer. 

Offer may be available, but the best located cabins likely will be gone.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

My question is:  was the offer still available when you called back?  Generally you have to jump on the offer as soon as you get it, before it’s either sold out or they move onto another customer. 

The email was sent at 12:38 pm and I saw it at 12:45 pm. I called at 2:38 pm and was on hold for about 20 minutes. While I was on hold I was on HAL's website looking at what SA cabins were still available.  There were still the same 10 suites on deck 7, that were available when I checked the night before, so I thought that was a good sign. It does make me wonder about the whole upsell process, especially since it was only a few days until sail date.

The rep was ready to go with room offers as soon as I gave her my booking number. It was a quick and easy process and I think I waited on hold longer than it took to make a decision and pay for it! She only offered me that non adjoining suites at first until I asked her about one of them. She said it was available but most people don't really want them if there are others that are not adjoining so she offers those first. I took one that was not adjoining.

I just checked again and there are still 6 Neptune Suites available on deck 7 and 2 on deck 6. All of the Signature Suites are sold out.

• Thanks 1