Live Review, Odyssey of the Seas, Dec 3-11

Stealthdog

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from Stealthdog! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Stealthdog was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We are excited to board the Odyssey of the Seas this Saturday as part of a B2B (or side to side), with the second leg being the Celebrity Beyond Dec 11-18.

This will be our 4th Royal sailing, and have also sailed Celebrity, Norwegian, and Disney.  My last review of the Symphony of the Seas was mostly post-cruise.  This one will be more live with daily reviews and updates.  

Some information in case people have specific questions about cabin, dining, status perks, etc:

- We are staying in a Balcony on Deck 6 (we have some bid ups, but the ship looks almost 100% filled, so have very low hopes).

- We have the UDP, so will be trying most (if not all) of the restaurants on board for dinner, all the specialty dining options for lunch, and the ala carte options.

- We do not have an alcohol package and are bringing wine and water on board and will pay as we go for anything else.

- We have platinum status (due to reciprocity with Celebrity).  

- We have Voom for one device.

Itinerary for the sailing:

Dec 3 - Fort Lauderdale

Dec 4 - At Sea

Dec 5 - Labadee

Dec 6 - At Sea

Dec 7 - Aruba

Dec 8 - Curacao

Dec 9 - At Sea

Dec 10 - At Sea

Dec 11 - Fort Lauderdale

We have been to Aruba and Curacao multiple times each, but this is our first time to Labadee.  We elected to do shore excursions for Aruba and Curacao with Royal Caribbean this sailing.  Southern Caribbean sailings are our favorite Caribbean itineraries.

We took the autotrain from Lorton, Virginia to Samford, Florida last week and spent Thanksgiving and this week in the Orlando area.  We plan to take the autrotrain back up after the Beyond sailing, assuming there is no rail strike.  If anyone has any questions on the autotrain, feel free to ask.  We will drive to Fort Lauderdale Friday afternoon and spend the night with a friend, who will drop us off at the port Saturday morning enroute to a cruise he is taking out of Miami on Saturday.

I'll plan to post menus, the daily, and the entertainment schedule.  Ask any question and I'll try to get the answer, post the picture, or provide whatever you want.

When this review is done, I'll leave a link for the review we will do for the Beyond for anyone who wants to follow along that one as well.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the Roll Call members for this Odyssey sailing.  This Roll Call is huge - nearing 600 posts and more than 20 pages in the thread.  I expect this to be a very lively sailing!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

"I'd also like to give a shout out to the Roll Call members for this Odyssey sailing.  This Roll Call is huge - nearing 600 posts and more than 20 pages in the thread.  I expect this to be a very lively sailing!

Hey, I am on that roll call.  See you on the ship in a couple days!

Edited by kathygruvs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

@StealthdogThe Odyssey was great! We sailed Nov 13th. If by chance you get the paper that lists the Captain, CD, Hotel Director etc. with their photo & bio, I would appreciate it if you could share it. It was not available my sailing as it still had the old CD on it. Enjoy your vacation.

On our 11/19 cruise I never saw the officers, CD, etc listed on a document. I kept on looking at each days Cruise Compass hoping they would show their names. All I know was that the Captain’s name was Per and Cruise Dir was Anna 

Edited by lcpagejr

@StealthdogThe Odyssey was great! We sailed Nov 13th. If by chance you get the paper that lists the Captain, CD, Hotel Director etc. with their photo & bio, I would appreciate it if you could share it. It was not available my sailing as it still had the old CD on it. Enjoy your vacation.

I'll see what I can do! 🙂 

• Like 1

And we are onboard. Checkin time was 1130. We took an uber from NE Fort Lauderale - $15 for uber, $25 for uberxl. Little traffic at the port today even though there are several ships debarking. Odessey is port 18. We were through security by 1100 and on the ship by 1130. We both carried on 2 bottles of wine and water.

First stop was dining reservations. Made all 8 dinner and 5 lunches with good times every day. There were long lines at some of the specialty restaurants to book dining. Look around until you find a small line. We booked at Wonderland - there were no line.

The ony show to book on board is The Book. Everything else appears to be first come first serve.

Having lunch at Giovannis. Its empty!

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 3

@StealthdogGlad your onboard. I'm so jealous. If you are interested, you should also book the NorthStar & iFly as soon as possible. If I remember correctly, NorthStar is free on port days & approx. $20 pp on sea days because they are able to swing out over the ocean. In port, it only goes straight up.

You are correct. We did North Star in Curacao at no charge

• Like 1

Hey Stealthdog.... Beware you stay on ship time. Funny story as we left La Romana we were having a couple of leisurely drinks in Soalarium Bar. We then headed down to cabin to get ready for our 7pm MTD.  In cabin I casually looked at my phone and it said 6:50pm!!!   We did not have internet package and left our phones on airplane mode...but the settings automatically changed to local time which moved the clock ahead an hour!!  Fortunately we had TV on which showed the time and I soon realized what happened. You can manually move the region in your settings to Miami and your phone will restore to that time. Was a crazy half hour while figuring it out lol!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

@StealthdogGlad your onboard. I'm so jealous. If you are interested, you should also book the NorthStar & iFly as soon as possible. If I remember correctly, NorthStar is free on port days & approx. $20 pp on sea days because they are able to swing out over the ocean. In port, it only goes straight up.

Thanks - We booked the NorthStar on Labadee day - figured we will be on and off the ship so its easier to manage times.  We aren't going to try out the iFly.  Both the NorthStar & iFly are available for bookings on all port days for free.  

Both are easy to book - you can do it off the app on your phone.  If you have issues with booking on the app, there will be staff on deck 14 at the bottom of the stairs by the Lime and Coconut that will help you with your reservations.

• Thanks 1