Flu around the ships--Nieuw Amsterdam

12cruise2

10 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Wonder if the turnover days are enough time for sanitization of public areas or it's just a quick spit shine? 

Viruses don’t hang along long and soap, Clorox and other normal cleaning agents quickly remove any lingering germs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Viruses don’t hang along long and soap, Clorox and other normal cleaning agents quickly remove any lingering germs. 

Well, we all know how good people are at using soap on cruise ships. Fears allayed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Well, we all know how good people are at using soap on cruise ships. Fears allayed. 

I am talking about cleaning supplies.  I regularly clean my house and know the effectiveness of normal household cleaners in response to your concern about the previous occupants 

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am talking about cleaning supplies.  I regularly clean my house and know the effectiveness of normal household cleaners in response to your concern about the previous occupants 

So the question remains; is there enough time and staff power to thoroughly disinfect, or little more than cosmetics and linens? I know there is always a rush by guests who want to board. Perhaps cruise lines are using 3rd party vendors to steam or "fog out" areas of the ship before guests board, or not? I really don't know and am asking. 

3 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

So the question remains; is there enough time and staff power to thoroughly disinfect, or little more than cosmetics and linens? I know there is always a rush by guests who want to board. Perhaps cruise lines are using 3rd party vendors to steam or "fog out" areas of the ship before guests board, or not? I really don't know and am asking. 

There used to deep cleaning on turnaround days when the previous cruise had many cases of norovirus but I haven't been onboard on turn around day since pre- covid so I'm not sure what the current procedures are.

30 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, it is.  Read the back of your household cleaning products 

On 12/3/2022 at 12:12 PM, Sea42 said:

There used to deep cleaning on turnaround days when the previous cruise had many cases of norovirus but I haven't been onboard on turn around day since pre- covid so I'm not sure what the current procedures are.

I think there still is.  When we boarded in Barcelona the first boarding was at 1 pm (I was in the first group).  there was no serious illness on our sailing but I suspect they try to clean thoroughly before the sailing - especially where this was a transatlantic.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I think there still is.  When we boarded in Barcelona the first boarding was at 1 pm (I was in the first group).  there was no serious illness on our sailing but I suspect they try to clean thoroughly before the sailing - especially where this was a transatlantic.

That's good to know. I'd rather wait a bit to board if it means the crew gets the time they need to do a proper cleaning.

• Like 2

I got Covid on Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago and was isolated.  When the doctor called me they were more concerned if I had a flu vaccine then the Covid booster.  I have had the flu vaccine and I am double vaxed and triple boosted.  I had a mild case.  

when we were released from isolation. We had to be gone for two hours to change the bedding and steam clean the cabin.

What surprised me when we got out of isolation was how many people were coughing and and blowing their noses with a head full of snot.  Lots of germs running around the ship.

we wore masks but not too many other people were.

I know what the COVID protocols are for HAL, but are there specific protocols for flu and RSV fleet-wide regarding days in isolation, refunds for missed days enjoying the cruise, medical care, etc?

Best wishes for a quick recovery to those who are ill.

21 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I know what the COVID protocols are for HAL, but are there specific protocols for flu and RSV fleet-wide regarding days in isolation, refunds for missed days enjoying the cruise, medical care, etc?

Best wishes for a quick recovery to those who are ill.

No, there are no refunds because you got sick.  The current Covid policy ends March 31. Those who are concerned might consider not sailing during flu season or finding really good insurance.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

No, there are no refunds because you got sick.  The current Covid policy ends March 31. Those who are concerned might consider not sailing during flu season or finding really good insurance.

Mary, our letter from HAL while on the NA now with husband who got the flu and had to be isolated for two days says he will get future cruise credit for days in isolation.

57 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Mary, our letter from HAL while on the NA now with husband who got the flu and had to be isolated for two days says he will get future cruise credit for days in isolation.

That is weird.   They can’t afford this.  I don’t know what they are thinking.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is weird.   They can’t afford this.  I don’t know what they are thinking.  

On the other hand, can they afford having people decide not to book future cruises due to reports of obviously ill people refusing to stay in their cabins when still contagious?  

On my October Celebrity cruise, I was seated one night in the MDR at a table for two (and you know how close those tables are spaced on most lines) next to an obviously ill couple. And when I say obviously ill, I mean that they looked flushed, watery eyes, debilitating coughing (not just a gentle hack or clearing of the throat) and nose-blowing. 

It was only day 4 or 5 of a 19 day BTB and I did not want to get sick so I very quietly asked my waiter if he could send over the head waiter or maitre d', who I then asked for a different table. This was quickly accommodated. 

But when people this ill come to the dining room and expose dozens of others (crew and passengers) in the process, something is wrong.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

On the other hand, can they afford having people decide not to book future cruises due to reports of obviously ill people refusing to stay in their cabins when still contagious?  

On my October Celebrity cruise, I was seated one night in the MDR at a table for two (and you know how close those tables are spaced on most lines) next to an obviously ill couple. And when I say obviously ill, I mean that they looked flushed, watery eyes, debilitating coughing (not just a gentle hack or clearing of the throat) and nose-blowing. 

It was only day 4 or 5 of a 19 day BTB and I did not want to get sick so I very quietly asked my waiter if he could send over the head waiter or maitre d', who I then asked for a different table. This was quickly accommodated. 

But when people this ill come to the dining room and expose dozens of others (crew and passengers) in the process, something is wrong.

Usually those provisions are covered by insurance.  Did @12cruise2 have insurance through HAL?  That would explain her payment 

Edited by Mary229

42 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

We had to do this too,   Before Covid. Was shocking that people would come to dinner or go to the shows so obviously ill.  

I was quarantined once onboard for Flu, prior to Covid and there was no refund nor did my travel insurance cover it.   But it did cover my lengthy stay in Anchorage and multiple doctor visits before I could safely fly home. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We had to do this too,   Before Covid. Was shocking that people would come to dinner or go to the shows so obviously ill.  

I was quarantined once onboard for Flu, prior to Covid and there was no refund nor did my travel insurance cover it.   But it did cover my lengthy stay in Anchorage and multiple doctor visits before I could safely fly home. 

Sorry to hear it, but unfortunately not surprised. 😔

• Like 1

gotta love these threads -   people have been getting sick on cruise ships since they started - use to call it Norovirus -  now it's covid  or the flu - or the next "virus"   people should NOT travel if this is a problem -   take your masks if you wish - people won't stop you -  PLEASE do not make me put one on -   my body my choice

• Like 4

Just now, esimon said:

gotta love these threads -   people have been getting sick on cruise ships since they started - use to call it Norovirus -  now it's covid  or the flu - or the next "virus"   people should NOT travel if this is a problem -   take your masks if you wish - people won't stop you -  PLEASE do not make me put one on -   my body my choice

See people hack and wheeze all the time; they do nothing for others but expect everyone else to stay away and provide a vacation bubble for them.  how's that work? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

See people hack and wheeze all the time; they do nothing for others but expect everyone else to stay away and provide a vacation bubble for them.  how's that work? 

I was on a small group trip Thanksgiving weekend. At lunch I was seated next to someone who was coughing.  I immediately, politely and discretely asked them if they had a cold (much less contentious).  They said no, it was an allergy.   They then politely asked what I would have said if they had responded yes.  I said I would have politely moved myself to another table. Seems like in a civil society you have a right to exclude yourself from contact without enforcing dictums on others 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3