Continental Breakfast/coffee is no longer free? Rumor or Not?

northwoodsmom

It's really not about the total amount and whether it breaks the bank or not.  We all decide what we're willing to spend money on.  While I enjoyed having coffee delivered every morning, I'm not willing to pay $5 for it.  I can just go to the buffet, get some coffee, and return to my cabin to get showered/dressed.  That being said, I have no problem going to the craps table and putting $100 on the pass line.  I'll miss the coffee delivery, but I'm not pissed or anything.  I just put it into the "oh well" category.  My cruise will not by any less awesome because of it

• Like 2

Add this cost with the new gratuities and other extra fees that are popping up everywhere and I get why people are looking around at other lines. It is what it is- NCL will change if they find people don't want to pay whatever costs they throw at people....OR --much like Disney--people will still pay it no problems and the ships will sail full. Supply and Demand. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

there is 20% gratuity, so it's $6 per day.  the $2 delivery tip would be what you'd choose to give the delivery person, but it's in addition to the 20% already added to the order

@julig22 is right. Gratuities on room service are only charged on non-complimentary food and beverage items . Gratuities have never been charged on top of the delivery service charge.

This FAQ hasn't been updated to reflect  the new fee scheme, probably because the new fee structure hasn't been fully rolled out yet, but the conceptual framework should still be good.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

oh.  You may be right.  I didn't realize there was anything you had to pay for.  I thought everything was free, but there was simply a room service charge.  I definitely wouldn't pay for anything I could go get from the buffet for free

You pay for specialty juices for example.  And the statement is generic to all room service - I don't get the beverage package so would have to pay for a soda.

• Like 1

Kind of a bummer, we both liked to get the continental breakfast so we could pregame breakfast and take morning meds with food without needing to go eat a full meal right away. Not the end of the world, but I should probably remember to toss a few granola bars in the luggage in case we're feeling lazy and want to sleep in.

1 minute ago, ladysoleil said:

Kind of a bummer, we both liked to get the continental breakfast so we could pregame breakfast and take morning meds with food without needing to go eat a full meal right away. Not the end of the world, but I should probably remember to toss a few granola bars in the luggage in case we're feeling lazy and want to sleep in.

I always bring baggies with me, sometimes get cookies or pastries to save for another time.  Maybe not absolutely fresh but I'm good with that.

• Like 3

Just now, julig22 said:

I always bring baggies with me, sometimes get cookies or pastries to save for another time.  Maybe not absolutely fresh but I'm good with that.

Not a bad idea at all! I'm not picky, just need a little something in the morning. The guy will want coffee, but if he feels strongly enough about it, he'll get up. 😂

I'll probably treat us at least once, but every day, well, I'd rather spend the money on something else. 

13 hours ago, RD64 said:

Those of you who whine about every nickel and dime that you have to spend - perhaps a time machine back to 1995 aboard the Norway to show you what classic main stream cruising was all about - and how it can’t even be compared to what is passing a vacation now.

Please keep that time machine for yourself. I would not want to go back to 1995. I'd have to dress up and that just ain't happening. I'll take the nickel and dime regime over dressing up any day. In fact, I'll pay even more just to not dress up. See NCL, I'm helping you out! New revenue source here...for $5/day you'll let me wear my flippie floppies, t-shirt, and shorts, while those that (for some inconceivable reason to me) wear their Sunday's finest. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Please keep that time machine for yourself. I would not want to go back to 1995. I'd have to dress up and that just ain't happening. I'll take the nickel and dime regime over dressing up any day. In fact, I'll pay even more just to not dress up. See NCL, I'm helping you out! New revenue source here...for $5/day you'll let me wear my flippie floppies, t-shirt, and shorts, while those that (for some inconceivable reason to me) wear their Sunday's finest. 

For the record, flippie floppies and shorts are my Sunday’s finest. 

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, njhorseman said:

@julig22 is right. Gratuities on room service are only charged on non-complimentary food and beverage items . Gratuities have never been charged on top of the delivery service charge.

This FAQ hasn't been updated to reflect  the new fee scheme, probably because the new fee structure hasn't been fully rolled out yet, but the conceptual framework should still be good.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

If it hasn't been update, is it because it is not yet fleet wide? 

30 minutes ago, northwoodsmom said:

If it hasn't been update, is it because it is not yet fleet wide? 

As I said in my post " This FAQ hasn't been updated to reflect  the new fee scheme, probably because the new fee structure hasn't been fully rolled out yet" . 

"Hasn't been fully rolled out yet" means it isn't yet fleetwide. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

A number of years back I was on a Royal Caribbean Cruise and then you needed to "Dress Up" just to eat in the Dining Room. While I complied it apparently wasn't enough for some. I wore nice dress slacks, a collared shirt with tie, and sport coat to dinner. There were 4 men at the table next to us wearing tuxes. They had daggers in their eyes as they continuously stared at me and it was obvious I didn't meet their dress code approval. What a sorry group that was...little did they know that they looked more like "Skipper Sam" than anything else. I knew that would be my last cruise on Royal and the laid back casual feeling of NCL is what I wanted.

636610695192020665-Skipper-Sam.PNG

• Haha 3

On 12/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, Laszlo said:

Funny, I could care less about the charge. We have done 11 cruises with NCL. Never got room service with the exception of our last cruise in the Haven. Its far easier for us to grab coffee or some breakfast in the buffet. Guess I'm the odd man out

That's how the majority are regarding thermal spa that's for a fee on any main cruise line.  No one cares; however, for us it's one of the most important key points of cruising (I spent hours there every day and go twice or more on sea days); so, we either book an Aqua class cabin on Celebrity or pay whatever fee is on other cruise lines.

1 hour ago, Red-Sol said:

A number of years back I was on a Royal Caribbean Cruise and then you needed to "Dress Up" just to eat in the Dining Room. While I complied it apparently wasn't enough for some. I wore nice dress slacks, a collared shirt with tie, and sport coat to dinner. There were 4 men at the table next to us wearing tuxes. They had daggers in their eyes as they continuously stared at me and it was obvious I didn't meet their dress code approval. What a sorry group that was...little did they know that they looked more like "Skipper Sam" than anything else. I knew that would be my last cruise on Royal and the laid back casual feeling of NCL is what I wanted.

636610695192020665-Skipper-Sam.PNG

To this day, I'll never understand why the way someone else dresses affects anyone else.  I don't get it.

I used to pack the suit, the dress shirts and ties (needed more than one so I didn't repeat).  Heck, when I first started cruising back in the '80s, I rented tuxes on board (don't see that anymore).  So glad that's over with.  Save on packing.  Save on luggage fees. 

This was probably about 7-8 years ago, but I was in the MDR dining with my family on a Royal Cruise.  Right in front of us was a table of "tux/gown" people.  The ship's photographer came around hustling pics. The table in front, asked us if we would move, as we weren't dressed to their standards and we would show up in the background and ruin their photo.

I was irate.  Good thing my family was there to calm me down.  

Fortunately, this craziness has died down quite a bit in recent years given that social mores have changed on how people dress.

I do not care how others dress on board.  Doesn't bother me one iota if someone wears a tux or gown, if that makes you feel good.  No sweat off my brow. Respect and courtesy dictate you don't tell me I can't sit and dine anywhere because you don't like the way I dress.  Too bad...so sad!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

To this day, I'll never understand why the way someone else dresses affects anyone else.  I don't get it.

I used to pack the suit, the dress shirts and ties (needed more than one so I didn't repeat).  Heck, when I first started cruising back in the '80s, I rented tuxes on board (don't see that anymore).  So glad that's over with.  Save on packing.  Save on luggage fees. 

This was probably about 7-8 years ago, but I was in the MDR dining with my family on a Royal Cruise.  Right in front of us was a table of "tux/gown" people.  The ship's photographer came around hustling pics. The table in front, asked us if we would move, as we weren't dressed to their standards and we would show up in the background and ruin their photo.

I was irate.  Good thing my family was there to calm me down.  

Fortunately, this craziness has died down quite a bit in recent years given that social mores have changed on how people dress.

I do not care how others dress on board.  Doesn't bother me one iota if someone wears a tux or gown, if that makes you feel good.  No sweat off my brow. Respect and courtesy dictate you don't tell me I can't sit and dine anywhere because you don't like the way I dress.  Too bad...so sad!

It doesn't bother me either.  It's just a simply a masquerade (especially, considering on top of that, with pieces of cloths over ones' air intake, too): I imagine a picture perfect (not my picture, I don't make pictures on cruises; just figuratively speaking, picture) - couples with tuxedo, suites, pants, shirts of all different kinds (sleeves, no sleeves...), jeans,... shorts, swimming attire, all blended together, and everyone is pretty, pretty, pretty happy!

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gmbhardy said:

Well that settles it. I’m packing a tux for my next cruise so I can wear it eating my upscale continental breakfast. You only need to impress yourself - right.

I prefer to impress no one...because I don't care what anyone thinks about me. I lost that care about five years ago when I realized I just don't care. 🙂 Wear that tux if it makes you feel better about yourself/more impressed with yourself. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I prefer to impress no one...because I don't care what anyone thinks about me. I lost that care about five years ago when I realized I just don't care. 🙂 Wear that tux if it makes you feel better about yourself/more impressed with yourself. 

Ah….ok!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Perhaps those men were jealous of the fact that you were dressed far more comfortably than they.  Perhaps their wives insisted they wear tuxedos and they prefered  your dress.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 12:31 PM, nonchalant_muse said:

Personally, I love MSC. DH and I have a sailing booked with them early next year. Most of the negative comments are attributed to the fact that it is an international cruise line and operates a little differently from an American cruise line. However, MSC has paid close attention and is working hard to cater more towards the preferences of American customers. 

Pricing-wise, MSC is hands-down the best. And, in my humble opinion, accommodation, service and amenities on MSC rivals that of any other cruise line despite paying far, far less. 

I'm probably going to try MSC next year when they begin sailing out of NY.  I only cruise out of NY because it's close. Flying just adds a ton of expense - two flights, hotel for night before, meals etc.

I've been getting really good deals on RCL out of NY plus I'm Diamond which give me four free drinks a day and other perks so I factor that in also when looking at other cruise lines.