Just back from a TA on the Marina, Bcn to Mia.

jonthomas

We’d travel internationally extensively and rarely call back. This thing of claiming to need to be connected constantly is overblown.

We have gone days on Oceania with no internet for a variety of reasons. The earth keeps on spinning .

I agree with ORV, if you feel you can’t go a day without internet, you need to find a new cruise line. May also need to evaluate why you believe that’s the case!

• Like 5

I am with ORV & Pinot. We just did the TA on Sirena. Was the WiFi sketchy at times? Yep. Is it a bit of a pain to have to share? See above response. Has the food always been perfect? Same answer. Is the bathroom tiny? I could go on, but, until I have good reason not to be, I am inclined to give Oceania some grace. We have done 4 cruises since last October with another next month. We are thankful the line is still sailing and think they are doing a pretty darn good job of trying to

manage cash flow; staffing, hiring, and training; and, of course those pesky supply chain issues. Please, folks, count your blessings and look at all of the positive things about Oceania. That’s the same thing I tell my husband about me. Fortunately, he gets it. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Richard,

I have not tried to ask anything since the disaster in the office last Friday..i will check with FDR next week..

Jancruz1

thank you so much.   Have a happy holiday if we do not speak before.  Susan is out playing  canasta

6 hours ago, basenji56 said:

At the prices charged by Oceania, decent internet should be a given.  Many of us need it to keep in contact with our families at home.  

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a cruise line, regardless of price, that provides a consistently reliable and reasonably fast internet system. Some of that is due to the nature of satellite communications and global location, more of it is due to the exorbitant cost to the cruise line of providing anything remotely resembling a land-based service.

None of us would like the effect on our cruise or internet fares if the lines offered anything close to a "home service". There are some excellent eSIM vendors who provide large amounts of data for a very reasonable price - although that only helps when in, or very close to port. 🍺🥌

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

If you need to be connected at all times, and have no time when you are not connected with a consistent speed to the interwebs then cruising probably isn’t for you..

Ditto for everyone who asks for vaccine requirements and mask rules.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a cruise line, regardless of price, that provides a consistently reliable and reasonably fast internet system. Some of that is due to the nature of satellite communications and global location, more of it is due to the exorbitant cost to the cruise line of providing anything remotely resembling a land-based service.

Although I prefer Oceania, I have had fairly decent internet on three Royal Caribbean ships this year.  Including a RC Transatlantic.  Good enough to use WhatsApp to make audio calls.  Ships with 5000 passengers.  Ships with a price one third of that of Oceania.

43 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Although I prefer Oceania, I have had fairly decent internet on three Royal Caribbean ships this year.  Including a RC Transatlantic.  Good enough to use WhatsApp to make audio calls.  Ships with 5000 passengers.  Ships with a price one third of that of Oceania.

Do you get free access to the internet on RCL?

• Like 1

just  a comment

A friend was  on Insignia  recently & DH  zoomed with him daily

some days  when people were coming back to the ship  it was a bit choppy  but  other times it was fine

It depends on the number of users  online

Timing is everything 😉

When onboard DH rarely uses the internet  & I am usually on for  CC/emails maybe banking is required 

I am on vacation 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

just  a comment

A friend was  on Insignia  recently & DH  zoomed with him daily

some days  when people were coming back to the ship  it was a bit choppy  but  other times it was fine

It depends on the number of users  online

Timing is everything 😉

When onboard DH rarely uses the internet  & I am usually on for  CC/emails maybe banking is required 

I am on vacation 😃

As a solo, I like to use the internet to keep up with friends and family.  It's not that big of a deal on cruises where you are in port every day since I have decent internet through T-Mobile.  But it is pretty important on a TA when you are at sea for at least a week.  I just think Oceania should up its game when it comes to Wi-Fi given its marketing as a luxury cruise line.  You are welcome to disagree.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, basenji56 said:

At the prices charged by Oceania, decent internet should be a given.  Many of us need it to keep in contact with our families at home.  

I hope you can find another cruise line that fits your needs better.  The choice Is yours.  Oceania is what it is.  And I love it just the way it is.....

• Like 3

20 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I hope you can find another cruise line that fits your needs better.  The choice Is yours.  Oceania is what it is.  And I love it just the way it is.....

We love it just the way it is, too. It sounds like Celebrity might

27 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

As a solo, I like to use the internet to keep up with friends and family.  It's not that big of a deal on cruises where you are in port every day since I have decent internet through T-Mobile.  But it is pretty important on a TA when you are at sea for at least a week.  I just think Oceania should up its game when it comes to Wi-Fi given its marketing as a luxury cruise line.  You are welcome to disagree.  

It sounds like Celebrity might be a better alternative for you, at least on a transatlantic cruise. We just completed one and had no (major) issues keeping up with friends and family, and we even had to share the logon. Our dog sitter sent videos, which we were able to download. Also, as a backup, I always make sure family has the emergency number to call the ship, if they can’t get ahold of us. 

2 hours ago, SophieM said:

We love it just the way it is, too. It sounds like Celebrity might

It sounds like Celebrity might be a better alternative for you, at least on a transatlantic cruise. We just completed one and had no (major) issues keeping up with friends and family, and we even had to share the logon. Our dog sitter sent videos, which we were able to download. Also, as a backup, I always make sure family has the emergency number to call the ship, if they can’t get ahold of us. 

It's a tough choice for sure.  I also cruise Celebrity, Royal and Viking Ocean.

I love the smaller ships, the better food and the better service.  I prefer the entertainment on O over Celebrity too.  

I just don't see why there has to be a choice when it comes to Wifi.  I am willing to pay extra (and have) to get wifi that works.  Elon Musk is selling StarLink to the entire cruise industry.  It relies on many small satellites in low orbits and is perfect for TAs.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Elon Musk is selling StarLink to the entire cruise industry.  It relies on many small satellites in low orbits and is perfect for TAs.  

I am sure it is a cheap option also  🤔

WHAT IS WAVENET WIFI?

Updated June 19, 2018

Wavenet FREE Unlimited WiFi is included in your cruise fare and you may access the Internet throughout the entirety of the ship, including all suites, staterooms, public rooms and outdoor decks. One login is provided per suite or stateroom, which may be used on one device at a time. Additional logins and upgrade packages are available for purchase on board. For your convenience, Internet-enabled computers are also available in the Oceania@Sea Internet Center aboard each of our ships.

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

In all the discussions here on the internet service on remote voyages, never once did I hear someone suggest buying or renting a satellite phone, which would make the service provided by the cruise line irrelevant.

Are they allowed? A while ago I discovered that satellite messengers (more basic than a phone) are (were?) not allowed on cruise ships.

16 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

excellent question, google says yes.  I think it would be worth looking into further.

Found it...https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005475473-What-Not-To-Bring-On-Board

Actually, it just says no satellite phones. Maybe satellite messengers would be OK, but I would check before bringing/using one. Just don't hit the SOS button if someone is blocking the buffet 😉

• Like 1