This fellow said he was assaulted by an MSC crew member...

Stockjock

My attitude about this is that there is probably a video, so if a passenger is making an allegation of a physical assault, they should review the videotape and release it. If it’s true, they owe the passenger an apology or more. If it’s false, then they should embarrass the guy, at a minimum.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

My attitude about this is that there is probably a video, so if a passenger is making an allegation of a physical assault, they should review the videotape and release it. If it’s true, they owe the passenger an apology or more. If it’s false, then they should embarrass the guy, at a minimum.

...And sadly; my take on it is that, no matter if true or false, this guy just wanted his 15 fame minutes... And he may very well to have them...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Well, if you think that’s bad, I used to be a police officer, and you can only imagine the type of false complaints that officers get from people who aren’t exactly thrilled about being arrested.

I empathize with the law enforcement community.  Tough gig and mostly thankless duty.

That said, seems everyone is looking for a “woe is me….feel badly for me” story when it comes to some cruise passengers.  We’re on a cruise….where just about every crew member on board is trained and trying to appease every whim the guests may have, and to do it politely with a smile.

This YouTuber planted himself in security’s way.  So, he wants to put a black mark on this person’s file because his feelings were hurt.  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

...And sadly; my take on it is that, no matter if true or false, this guy just wanted his 15 fame minutes... And he may very well to have them...

I will say this.  If I was physically treated in such a way, I wouldn't be at all nice about it.  The fellow spends most of the video singing MSC's praises, which makes me suspicious.

The way to solve it is to release the video.  If the guy is being completely untruthful, consider banning him from future sailings.  If it was just a light touch, disclose it and move on.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 8420PR said:

To save anyone listening from watching the video, I summarized it below:

• The blogger boarded in San Juan at a crew only gangway.
  • At the top of the gangway a security person dealing with an incident shouted at people to move out the way, the blogger didn't move out the way in time so the security member touched him to move him out the way and ran past to deal with the incident. 
  • No pain, injuries or bruising was mentioned by the blogger.
  • Guest services offered an apology, and said they would inform the dept head.
  • The blogger is upset that he received no compensation from either guest service or MSC customer service.

I think it is valid for Stockjock to share this, and I'm sure everyone will have a different reaction and opinion.    My opinion is it shouldn't even be considered an incident, and more a way for the blogger to increase revenue from youtube.  

Yes, I happened to watch this video this AM and I had the same reaction as you.  First of all, he knew it was a crew only gangway and yet entered anyway because it was the most convenient for his aft balcony cabin.  The security officer coming up from behind most likely didn't know he wasn't a crew member and was obviously on his way to an incident and in a hurry to respond.  This guy was in the wrong place, period.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Went back to this gentleman's video and read through his viewers responses. Counted 124 responses and not a single thumbs down. 

Youtube doesn't display thumbs down publicly anymore, the option is there and the content creator can see how many thumbs down clicked but not general viewers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, defbref said:

Youtube doesn't display thumbs down publicly anymore, the option is there and the content creator can see how many thumbs down clicked but not general viewers.

This forced me to go back and read 123 of the replies. They are mixed and one wrote "thumbs down". In situations like this one with no apparent loss it would be better not to take the case to the court of public opinion. Perhaps an apology and a complimentary massage might have made a better video.

1 minute ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This forced me to go back and read 123 of the replies. They are mixed and one wrote "thumbs down". In situations like this one with no apparent loss it would be better not to take the case to the court of public opinion. Perhaps an apology and a complimentary massage might have made a better video.

So if I went down into the engine room and hurt myself, should I be compensated? I am not supposed to go where only the crew are supposed to which is exactly what this guy did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

So if I went down into the engine room and hurt myself, should I be compensated? I am not supposed to go where only the crew are supposed to which is exactly what this guy did.

He said, "the gangway was designed to be used by crew as well". So it was not 'crew only'. 

So if one wanders anywhere and gets hurt ? Yes.

Three ships in port. Long line to get back on board, 15-30 minutes. Even at the YC gangway there were 2 staff making sure we were at the proper gangway before allowing us on the gangway. Too much trouble to have a guest from another ship try to board. They must be stopped before getting to the gangway. The flow is one way at these times.

IMG_2114.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 8420PR said:

To save anyone listening from watching the video, I summarized it below:

• The blogger boarded in San Juan at a crew only gangway.
  • At the top of the gangway a security person dealing with an incident shouted at people to move out the way, the blogger didn't move out the way in time so the security member touched him to move him out the way and ran past to deal with the incident. 
  • No pain, injuries or bruising was mentioned by the blogger.
  • Guest services offered an apology, and said they would inform the dept head.
  • The blogger is upset that he received no compensation from either guest service or MSC customer service.

Thank you for saving me the time. I made it through 1minute and then turned it off. The guy is an attention whore - as many (not all) YouTubers / Vloggers / whatever they are called are. If your summary is accurate, then that's all I needed to hear. If the influencer was in "work-space" (crew-only gangway) then their rules apply. If I (security person) am dealing with an emergency, then GTF out of the way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Went back to this gentleman's video and read through his viewers responses. Counted 124 responses and not a single thumbs down. 

I don't know if it's still the case, but can't he moderate (eliminate) the posts / comments he doesn't like?  

8 hours ago, no1talks said:

Morpheus, a dialed-in guy like you probably has one of these for the entries to both your townhouse and country chateau..

I have found that it is more 'cost effective' to dump the Villa and Chateau in favor of the MSC Yacht Club, thus depriving the staff, at both, their 'love nests' while we were away.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Three ships in port. Long line to get back on board, 15-30 minutes. Even at the YC gangway there were 2 staff making sure we were at the proper gangway before allowing us on the gangway. Too much trouble to have a guest from another ship try to board. They must be stopped before getting to the gangway. The flow is one way at these times.

IMG_2114.jpeg

If they are going to position Yacht Club as a premium product, couldn’t they at least spell it correctly?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I did watch the entire video, but we must be cognizant of only hearing one side of the story.  For all we know somebody got hurt (or was very sick) on the pier and perhaps the security guy was rushing to a phone to get help.  That is total speculation on my part, but the point is without hearing from the other party we do not know all the circumstances.   However, the blogger was certainly owed a quick apology.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:52 AM, Ryan82 said:

I'm sorry I'm going to say it too. A lot of the cruise bloggers are way too full of themselves in terms of their "importance" and "influence". I don't care if that makes me unpopular. Whilst it's fun undeniably to watch their videos sometimes I do think sometimes filming stuff all the time must be annoying for crew (albeit most politely smile etc).

Completely agree. There is a UK vlogging couple who have slatted MSC on their last cruise due to a member of staff coming over telling them to stop filming and making them cry. I've seen vloggers filming on board and they really do take over the space. I, personally, don't want to be in their bloody film, but don't get asked one way or another.

• Like 3