Full diagnostic search?

birdylady

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The dog walks up the line in Immigration/Customs, so self-assist bags are sniffed, as well as the ones piled up in the terminal.

Where was that?  All I see is pax walking all their luggage off and right out the door after facial recognition in PC.  

1 minute ago, shipgeeks said:

The dogs are pretty low-key.  Easy to miss, especially if you are focused on holding your passport or whatever.  

I have not seen them in the terminals at all.  I am sure they must indeed be there...somewhere.  

The one I always noticed, and is always there....is the one at the end of the pier in Cozumel.  What a cool, calm, and collected pooch!  🙂 

As a young male solo cruiser I get stopped a lot. It used to make me nervous and lead to a lot of follow up questions and an occasional visit to a secondary screening room. 

Now I'm used to it and after I answer a couple questions they are satisfied and send me along.

It is most definitely not random as the questions are always the same and triggered by me being solo. 

The automated facial recognition most ports use now also helps because the computer doesn't recognize I'm solo.

1 hour ago, jam19872016 said:

As a young male solo cruiser I get stopped a lot. It used to make me nervous and lead to a lot of follow up questions and an occasional visit to a secondary screening room. 

Now I'm used to it and after I answer a couple questions they are satisfied and send me along.

It is most definitely not random as the questions are always the same and triggered by me being solo. 

The automated facial recognition most ports use now also helps because the computer doesn't recognize I'm solo.

I am sorry. You would think a manager could come to your cabin before departure day to discuss. 

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, nelblu said:

Do we know if Customs still practice having dogs go around luggages to smell for drugs, etc.

Yes, and they did so in Miami during embark back in October.  We had to take any backpacks or other carried items off and have them near the ground so the nice doggie could sniff them.   I had not seen quite THAT much attention before during embark.  

On 12/23/2022 at 5:57 PM, ocean sounds said:

imho OP had it correct - disembarking.

Your humble opinion is indeed correct AND factual.  🙂  
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disembarking  

On 12/27/2022 at 2:47 PM, island lady said:

I have not seen them in the terminals at all.  I am sure they must indeed be there...somewhere.  

The dogs have already done their job before the passengers disembark and the luggage is out in the terminal.

For those doing self disembarkation with luggage, the dog(s) and handler(s)  will be somewhere where one passes through.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The dogs have already done their job before the passengers disembark and the luggage is out in the terminal.

For those doing self disembarkation with luggage, the dog(s) and handler(s)  will be somewhere where one passes through.

Probably, but I still have never seen/witnessed it.  

So, what about all the carry on bags that come off during disembarkation with the pax that had put their checked luggage out the night before?  Have never had Mr. Sniffy dog come up to us even once for those.  

On 12/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I believe that is called profiling; and is frowned upon

Publicly, yes it is.  Privately, it's used all the time by law enforcement.   Profiling has taken a terrible hit by those that throw the bigot/racism word around.  That is not what profiling is.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:49 PM, jam19872016 said:

Once we left the ship separately.  My husband did early walk off and went to fetch the car.  I disembarked a bit later, collected the checked bag and then approached immigration alone.  I was surprised how many more questions were asked when I was a solo, younger female vs part of a couple.  

28 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

He was probably hitting on you. 😃 

Doubtful.  Among the female agent’s questions to me was the pronunciation of the last name on my passport.  My response caused her face to tense until it became clear I was pronouncing my last name as she looked at my middle name.  I pronounced it and explained that when I married I elected to use my maiden name as a middle name.  The tension eased.  She said she was currently engaged and deciding whether to change her name.

• Like 1