First sailing after dry dock should I be worried?

cruisinqt

I just found out that the cruise we booked will be the first one after dry dock. I’m reading all of these posts about dry docks taking longer than they’re scheduled and cruises getting canceled. It’s making me nervous. It’s on the Freedom on 10/23/23. It’s a 14 day repositioning cruise starting in Barcelona and ending in Orlando. I don’t want to book expensive transatlantic flights and overseas hotels only to have to cancel it all. The cancellation fees could be quite expensive. Should I be worried? Do I need to switch sailings?

Perhaps I missed them, but I don't recall any cases of scheduled dry docks taking longer and resulting in canceled cruises. I have heard of delivery of new ships being delayed and I have heard of unscheduled dry docks cancelling cruises though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

your cruise will more than likely go on as scheduled with workers putting the finishing touches on the drydock work during the crossing.

Correct. But keep an open mind and understand that work might not be complete in some venues. 

These are known as "shake out cruises" and I try to avoid them. 

• Like 1

@cruisinqt

There was one instance earlier this year with Breeze. It's first cruise after the dry dock (from Galveston, no transatlantic) was shortened a day. But that was just because of a storm in the Atlantic. I don't think you will have any problems as the dry dock is just next door.

Don't worry

Edited by CarnivalShips480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, icft said:

Perhaps I missed them, but I don't recall any cases of scheduled dry docks taking longer and resulting in canceled cruises. I have heard of delivery of new ships being delayed and I have heard of unscheduled dry docks cancelling cruises though.

There have been a few that extended their dry docks from 2 weeks to 4 weeks because they needed more work than estimated. It was all done and decided a few months ahead of time by the higher ups. And it probably wouldn’t impact anyone very much on a normal cruise. But since this is a transatlantic cruise not only is the airfare far more expensive, but it will have lots more restrictions and will be much harder and more expensive to change. That’s what I’m worried about with the Freedom. Since they had that fire on board I’m worried that it will need more dry dock time and they’ll decide to do a longer dry dock. Maybe I’m just worrying about nothing.  But when I saw we were the first sailing after dry dock it concerned me. The Freedom needs a lot of work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

Correct. But keep an open mind and understand that work might not be complete in some venues. 

These are known as "shake out cruises" and I try to avoid them. 

Yeah I normally avoid them too. But the price was so cheap we just couldn’t resist it. Plus we get to go to Barcelona and all over Spain and the Canary Islands too. We just couldn’t pass this one up. We are going more for the ports than anything. 

• Like 1

Isn't this dry dock for replacement of the whale tail which is why it's in Europe to be done at the builders yard. I doubt there will be a huge amount of work done just the new funnel the exterior paint and some very minor enchantments all of which should be fine for the return leg. 

• Like 1

There have been several threads here posted by people worried about the May 28th Pride sailing out of Barcelona.  It is right after dry dock too.  It is no longer bookable and not on any port schedules.  John Heald says it is still on but we who are booked feel in limbo and Carnival isn't helping.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

There have been a few that extended their dry docks from 2 weeks to 4 weeks because they needed more work than estimated. It was all done and decided a few months ahead of time by the higher ups. And it probably wouldn’t impact anyone very much on a normal cruise. But since this is a transatlantic cruise not only is the airfare far more expensive, but it will have lots more restrictions and will be much harder and more expensive to change. That’s what I’m worried about with the Freedom. Since they had that fire on board I’m worried that it will need more dry dock time and they’ll decide to do a longer dry dock. Maybe I’m just worrying about nothing.  But when I saw we were the first sailing after dry dock it concerned me. The Freedom needs a lot of work. 

Why does Freedom need a lot of work?

4 hours ago, BETSY DOLL said:

Why does Freedom need a lot of work?

It had a bad fire a few months back. The tail is ruined and I hear there’s a smoky smell they can’t get out of the carpets. Usually when a ship does a 2 week dry dock it’s just a fresh coat of paint, new linens & bedding, and light cosmetic work. They don’t usually put in all new flooring or do major remodels in a 2 week dry dock. I was a little worried they may decide to do a 4 week dry dock instead which they sometimes switch to a few months ahead of schedule. But everyone seems to think that’s not likely to happen so maybe my worries were unfounded. 

I would not worry unless the propellors come loose and you return from dinner and there is paddle on your bed and orders to report for duty at 8AM. 

You should have trip interruption insurance to take care of flights and hotels in the event of cancelation. You credit card may even include it free of charge.

6 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

It had a bad fire a few months back. The tail is ruined and I hear there’s a smoky smell they can’t get out of the carpets. Usually when a ship does a 2 week dry dock it’s just a fresh coat of paint, new linens & bedding, and light cosmetic work. They don’t usually put in all new flooring or do major remodels in a 2 week dry dock. I was a little worried they may decide to do a 4 week dry dock instead which they sometimes switch to a few months ahead of schedule. But everyone seems to think that’s not likely to happen so maybe my worries were unfounded. 

We were on Freedom in October and there was no smoky smell then.

4 hours ago, Knights on the Beach said:

We were on Freedom in October and there was no smoky smell then.

Really? That’s good to hear. Some cruisers were complaining about it in their reviews but that was a while back. I’m glad they were able to fix it. 

Some people like to dramatize things a lot.

The funnel repair shouldn't take to long. This dry dock was planned soon after the fire, but of course Freedom is due for a dry dock anyway. The shipyard should have the wings ready, and all they have to do is lift it up. Not that quite that simple, but close.