MDR Arvia

binman2

4 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I've just seen a video of Arvia and the MDR does indeed show bare tables with mats and serviettes.

Not a good look, fine dining experience it isn't.

I wonder if this was taken during the loyalty embarkation lunch, I seem to remember that on Iona we only had table mats for the buffet lunch.

1 hour ago, binman2 said:

Noticed pictures on Daily Mail site of the Coral and Pearl MDR on Arvia looks like tablecloths no more table mats serviettes laid out on melamine tables guess it saves on the linen 

I have just had a look at the photos of the tables you mention printed in the Daily Mail. Those tables without table cloths are in the 'Glass House' beside the Atrium. Not the MDR.

Edit: I have now seen the MDR photos and they do indeed show tables without the white linen table cloths. It must have been set up like that for a photo shoot, as it wasn't like that when we ate in there.

Brian 

Edited by Otter18
Correction
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, binman2 said:

Noticed pictures on Daily Mail site of the Coral and Pearl MDR on Arvia looks like tablecloths no more table mats serviettes laid out on melamine tables guess it saves on the linen 

Which Arvia have they reviewed then, the MDRs are Meridian and Zenith?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otter18 said:

I have just had a look at the photos of the tables you mention printed in the Daily Mail. Those tables without table cloths are in the 'Glass House' beside the Atrium. Not the MDR.

Edit: I have now seen the MDR photos and they do indeed show tables without the white linen table cloths. It must have been set up like that for a photo shoot, as it wasn't like that when we ate in there.

Brian 

Could be that place mats are used at breakfast and possibly lunch, with linen used at dinner. Just a thought.

Anything remotely approaching fine dining in the MDRs is most certainly an alien concept but tablecloths do marginally lift things: I find they add to the experience just a little and sets a nice tone…despite the mediocrity that sometimes follows.

Edited by Camberley

1 hour ago, Camberley said:

Anything remotely approaching fine dining in the MDRs is most certainly an alien concept but tablecloths do marginally lift things: I find they add to the experience just a little and sets a nice tone…despite the mediocrity that sometimes follows.

Fair comments. Nice tableclothes with china and cutlery do lift a dining room when you enter, otherwise you might as well be in the buffet or American diner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t really like tablecloths so it wouldn’t bother me. I think they’re old fashioned. 

But they do mop up any spills better than it goingstraight onto the table top, and if dirty they are changed before the next party uses the table.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But they do mop up any spills better than it goingstraight onto the table top, and if dirty they are changed before the next party uses the table.

But if you spill some red wine before eating your starter, the stain is there for the whole meal! I just like clean and simple. I’ve never owned a tablecloth and don’t intend ever to buy one! 

11 hours ago, Ardennais said:

But if you spill some red wine before eating your starter, the stain is there for the whole meal! I just like clean and simple. I’ve never owned a tablecloth and don’t intend ever to buy one! 

Spilling wine instead of it going in your gob? That wouldn't happen with a Yorkshireman! 🙄

• Haha 3

Table cloths are a personal choice, I use them but I know that I am now in the minority amongst my family and friends.  What I have noticed is that the table cloth users are mainly people without children. When we are eating out it seems that few restaurants now use them.

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Table cloths are a personal choice, I use them but I know that I am now in the minority amongst my family and friends.  What I have noticed is that the table cloth users are mainly people without children. When we are eating out it seems that few restaurants now use them.

I do agree. Years ago we always had a tablecloth on the dining table. I never do now.

It might be quicker for the waiters to quickly remove a tablecloth than clean down a table, however not having tablecloths in the MDR would certainly cut down on what must be considerable laundry costs….…

• Like 1

Removing table cloths will place the MDRs on a par with Wetherspoons, or a factory canteen. Nothing wrong with either of those,  but they do not pretend to be fine dining establishments. 

And has anyone noticed that in those places where table cloths are not used, the table tops all have a "sticky" feel to them, caused by the build up of anti-bacterial cleaner ? Yes, spray with  cleaner  after each use of each table, but the occasional rub down with soap and really hot water wouldn't go amiss. 

( Hark at me writing like Mrs Hinch !) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Removing table cloths will place the MDRs on a par with Wetherspoons, or a factory canteen. Nothing wrong with either of those,  but they do not pretend to be fine dining establishments. 

And has anyone noticed that in those places where table cloths are not used, the table tops all have a "sticky" feel to them, caused by the build up of anti-bacterial cleaner ? Yes, spray with  cleaner  after each use of each table, but the occasional rub down with soap and really hot water wouldn't go amiss. 

I totally agree and would hate to see the MDR with place mats……. But I can see that they will be disappearing on many of their ships at some point. 
BTW - Mrs W will be expecting you to be keeping your dining table clean now 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Do you recommend any particular brand of cleaning product. Bathroom and kitchen as well, if your expertise extends that far.🤔

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I totally agree and would hate to see the MDR with place mats……. But I can see that they will be disappearing on many of their ships at some point. 
BTW - Mrs W will be expecting you to be keeping your dining table clean now 🤣🤣

For Christmas lunch, a couple of non family members joined us. We didn't know their expectations, so we used a Christmas tablecloth AND placemats.  Didn't want them thinking the Zap's were common as muck.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, zap99 said:

For Christmas lunch, a couple of non family members joined us. We didn't know their expectations, so we used a Christmas tablecloth AND placemats.  Didn't want them thinking the Zap's were common as muck.

Just a thought. Can those of you who are regular patrons of Michelin starred restaurants let us know whether they use table cloths?