Dry Dock & Q.Vic

Bell Boy

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Just saw a video on social media of an onboard announcement confirming that. The quote from that announcement was "... and then we will switch over to our shoreside cooling and freshwater intakes."

Yes I was in a poor reception area so only managed to make out part of the announcement and looking from my balcony I see the pipes. First passengers of at  quarter past five so must not want to stay for masked ball formal night.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

As someone has pointed out, it is not even two days, let alone three. Why not enjoy the wonderful city of Cadiz? Unless you’ve never been to Lisbon, you are not losing really, are you, and instead having a rare experience, which many would find fascinating?

I’m sure anybody who paid x000,s for a Christmas cruise would be happy sitting in the garage for two days. Cadiz may be nice to see but if you have planned to go in land then it would only be in the dark. I would much prefer to go to Lisbon which despite extensive travelling (mostly not on cruises) I have never visited. I will now most likely book a hiking holiday with Lisbon extension so I can explore at leisure

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yorkshire born sailor said:

I’m sure anybody who paid x000,s for a Christmas cruise would be happy sitting in the garage for two days. Cadiz may be nice to see but if you have planned to go in land then it would only be in the dark. I would much prefer to go to Lisbon which despite extensive travelling (mostly not on cruises) I have never visited. I will now most likely book a hiking holiday with Lisbon extension so I can explore at leisure

Surely it won’t be dark all day tomorrow? Rotten to miss Lisbon though, I quite see.

41 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I was wondering if they will be working 24 hours, I guess we'll find out in the morning!

If I had an aft cabin I might be tempted to book a hotel or an Airbnb in Cadiz for a couple of nights.

If I’d already paid for a Q5 or a Q6 there’s no way I would be paying any more for a hotel!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I was wondering if they will be working 24 hours, I guess we'll find out in the morning!

If I had an aft cabin I might be tempted to book a hotel or an Airbnb in Cadiz for a couple of nights.

Probably not 3 shifts.  Two shifts, 0800-1600, and 1600-2400, or thereabouts would be my guess, skipping the third shift while pax would be sleeping.  Would assume that tonight is mainly going to be lowering stuff into the dock, and erecting staging around the prop, and rigging the chain hoists to the hull lifting points.  Likely no real propeller work until morning.  Given the 36 hour time frame, this should be about right.  Finish up tomorrow at midnite, and wait for morning to flood the dock.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Probably not 3 shifts.  Two shifts, 0800-1600, and 1600-2400, or thereabouts would be my guess, skipping the third shift while pax would be sleeping.  Would assume that tonight is mainly going to be lowering stuff into the dock, and erecting staging around the prop, and rigging the chain hoists to the hull lifting points.  Likely no real propeller work until morning.  Given the 36 hour time frame, this should be about right.  Finish up tomorrow at midnite, and wait for morning to flood the dock.

Your comments are so helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you.

• Like 4

Currently on board the dry docked QV.

I'm pretty angry at the way Cunard have handled this, and thats assuming that the dry docking all goes to plan and they do actually properly fix the propellor this time.

The fact that we unknowingly boarded a ship that was in need of repair - which had already been booked in for this dry docking before we boarded.  The enormous vibration in the restaurant when underway - which to me seems like an earthquake across most of deck 2, and the planned disruption to the itinerary in order to make sure the world cruise isn't impacted.  To answer other comments in this topic - I would like to have been informed beforehand about the situation, and to decide to travel or not.  We feel like we were lied to.

I will happily accept port changes due to circumstances beyond Cunard's control such as the weather, however this was in their control and planned in before we boarded.  I was really looking forward to visiting Lisbon, and it was to be a highlight for me. 

We also think we left Madeira far earlier than originally intended, which I presume was so that we could make it to Cadiz on time.  The original itinerary had Madeira for both the 31st and 1st and an overnight stay, and a sea day on the 2nd to get to Cadiz on the 3rd.  Can anyone comment if I’ve got this correct?  

The fact that its spun as a "once in a lifetime opportunity" is, I think, the worst bit ... I'm a bit of a self-confessed ship geek, but I'm not finding this remotely interesting/exciting.  Being stuck on a ship for 7 hours today while waiting to be allowed off was just annoying.  I came on an expensive luxury holiday, not an industrial dry dock site visit.  Credit to the dry dock crew though.  There wasn’t even a wobble as the ship came in and was positioned and then lowered, and also not even a flicker as the power etc was switched over.  All very impressive in that regard.

I see that not everyone on this topic feels the same, and thats fine.  Some of the comments I've seen here and on Facebook seem to imply that I should just feel lucky to be aboard at all - as if we've been gifted this trip and not paid for it with our own hard earned money, a sentiment I just don't understand.

To answer someone’s question - we finally got off and away in the bus today about 5.30.  Others on the bus said they were glad to be off.  We were on the first shuttle bus and glad to escape.  It was dark as we walked into Cadiz to go exploring.  A formal night while in a dry docked ship feels very odd indeed.   We’ll get the full day and night here tomorrow, but we’ve to be aboard before 9am on Wednesday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I think the ships usually sail from Maderia once the fireworks are finished on the 31st. What does your itinerary say ? If it was early morning on 1st you didn't lose any time there.

It said

31st December - Funchal

1st January - Funchal 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RAL72 said:

We also think we left Madeira far earlier than originally intended, which I presume was so that we could make it to Cadiz on time.  The original itinerary had Madeira for both the 31st and 1st and an overnight stay, and a sea day on the 2nd to get to Cadiz on the 3rd.  Can anyone comment if I’ve got this correct?

Here is the original itinerary I have for the current voyage listing the departure from Madeira as 1:00am on January 1st.

23/12/22 Southampton: Depart 18:00
24/12/22 At Sea
25/12/22 At Sea
26/12/22 At Sea
27/12/22 Lanzarote: 08:00 - 17:00
28/12/22 Fuerteventura: 08:00 - 18:00
29/12/22 La Palma: 08:00 - 21:00
30/12/22 Tenerife: 08:00 - 17:00
31/12/22 Madeira: Arrive 09:00
01/01/23 Madeira: Depart 01:00
02/01/23 At Sea
03/01/23 Cadiz: 08:00 - 18:00
04/01/23 Lisbon: 09:00 - 18:00
05/01/23 At Sea
06/01/23 At Sea
07/01/23 Southampton: Arrive 06:30

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here is the original itinerary I have for the current voyage listing the departure from Madeira as 1:00am on January 1st.

Thanks very much for clarifying, we were confused about that. They'd shown it as 'overnight' in some places which is what confused us. 

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Surely it won’t be dark all day tomorrow? Rotten to miss Lisbon though, I quite see.

42 minutes ago, RAL72 said:

Currently on board the dry docked QV.

I'm pretty angry at the way Cunard have handled this, and thats assuming that the dry docking all goes to plan and they do actually properly fix the propellor this time.

The fact that we unknowingly boarded a ship that was in need of repair - which had already been booked in for this dry docking before we boarded.  The enormous vibration in the restaurant when underway - which to me seems like an earthquake across most of deck 2, and the planned disruption to the itinerary in order to make sure the world cruise isn't impacted.  To answer other comments in this topic - I would like to have been informed beforehand about the situation, and to decide to travel or not.  We feel like we were lied to.

I will happily accept port changes due to circumstances beyond Cunard's control such as the weather, however this was in their control and planned in before we boarded.  I was really looking forward to visiting Lisbon, and it was to be a highlight for me. 

The fact that its spun as a "once in a lifetime opportunity" is, I think, the worst bit ... I'm a bit of a self-confessed ship geek, but I'm not finding this remotely interesting/exciting.  Being stuck on a ship for 7 hours today while waiting to be allowed off was just annoying.  I came on an expensive luxury holiday, not an industrial dry dock site visit.  Credit to the dry dock crew though.  There wasn’t even a wobble as the ship came in and was positioned and then lowered, and also not even a flicker as the power etc was switched over.  All very impressive in that regard.

I see that not everyone on this topic feels the same, and thats fine.  Some of the comments I've seen here and on Facebook seem to imply that I should just feel lucky to be aboard at all - as if we've been gifted this trip and not paid for it with our own hard earned money, a sentiment I just don't understand.

To answer someone’s question - we finally got off and away in the bus today about 5.30.  Others on the bus said they were glad to be off.  We were on the first shuttle bus and glad to escape.  It was dark as we walked into Cadiz to go exploring.  A formal night while in a dry docked ship feels very odd indeed.   We’ll get the full day and night here tomorrow, but we’ve to be aboard before 9am on Wednesday.

Quite agree, we booked the whole day in Seville so may hopefully squeeze an hour in Cadiz before sunset. Also upset about Lisbon, we cruise for the places and not so much the ship and be honest not very impressed with bar service but maybe that’s for another topic.

I agree that if I was on this cruise I would not be very happy either. Many of the Cunard "geeks" who will not have a wrong word said against Cunard whatever they will do or say. It was obvious they knew about dry docking prior to this cruise leaving Southampton and all cruisers should have been informed and the opportunity of cancelling with no losses and full refund. But of course Cunard will not do that because it is all about money not customer loyalty or satisfaction. I think I am right, if not I am to be corrected, but do not think anything of any sort of compensation for disruption and missing of port has been offered. It is totally different when ports are missed due to circumstances beyond Cunard's control but this one is not and totally different. What makes it more insulting in my eyes is the arrogance of Cunard and the "spin" to make out that this is "a once in a lifetime opportunity". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I agree that if I was on this cruise I would not be very happy either. Many of the Cunard "geeks" who will not have a wrong word said against Cunard whatever they will do or say. It was obvious they knew about dry docking prior to this cruise leaving Southampton and all cruisers should have been informed and the opportunity of cancelling with no losses and full refund. But of course Cunard will not do that because it is all about money not customer loyalty or satisfaction. I think I am right, if not I am to be corrected, but do not think anything of any sort of compensation for disruption and missing of port has been offered. It is totally different when ports are missed due to circumstances beyond Cunard's control but this one is not and totally different. What makes it more insulting in my eyes is the arrogance of Cunard and the "spin" to make out that this is "a once in a lifetime opportunity". 

Well, we will hope it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can see it is very disappointing to miss the beautiful city of Lisbon if you haven’t been there, but Cadiz is splendid too. Unless, it was very noisy overnight, I really can’t see that there is anything much to moan about, unless one is looking for reasons to be miserable. As you will see from other posts, I am frequently critical of Cunard, but can’t see a reason to be here.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Why do you find it insulting because some will/ would have found the whole experience fascinating?  It's all about different viewpoints  and  I'm not in the least bit insulted because yours differ from mine.

Should Cunard have informed passengers beforehand? Maybe/maybe not. As I'm in the ''would have found it really interesting'' group [group, not ''geek'' group] I'm on the fence on that one but how many passengers would have altered their Christmas plans and said ''no, we're not going'' if they were given the chance? I'm guessing not many in reality but we'll never know. It's easy for us armchair onlookers to say'' I'd cancel'' when there's no booking to cancel but can you imagine the uproar if the scenario in post #8 was a reality? 

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells would have had a field day! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Should Cunard have informed passengers beforehand? Maybe/maybe not. As I'm in the ''would have found it really interesting'' group [group, not ''geek'' group] I'm on the fence on that one but how many passengers would have altered their Christmas plans and said ''no, we're not going'' if they were given the chance? I'm guessing not many in reality but we'll never know. 

I think it would have been reasonable of Cunard to inform their customers so they had a choice.  As you say, I expect the majority would have decided to keep their holiday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from the Solent. 

Good to see that there are a number of CC members onboard.

Still pleased  to share my friend's photographs which have been kindly posted 'elsewhere'.

463596919_CadizQV9GangwayinPlaceDocking.thumb.jpg.698bee93f69a771da95e84e8ab57d835.jpg

There were other photographs on a Cunard fb group of which I am a member but not the Admin: hence I do not have the authority to copy and post them.

However, what I can do is mention that that were very informative and showed that many passengers went out into Cadiz last night for meals. Now that's what I call making the most of the situation which for me would have been a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Well, we will hope it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can see it is very disappointing to miss the beautiful city of Lisbon if you haven’t been there, but Cadiz is splendid too. Unless, it was very noisy overnight, I really can’t see that there is anything much to moan about, unless one is looking for reasons to be miserable. As you will see from other posts, I am frequently critical of Cunard, but can’t see a reason to be here.

The main reason I can find that was disappointing is Cunard obviously knew about dry dock and missing Lisbon prior to leaving Southampton. They should have told customers and given option of cancelling or at least an amount of OBC as a gesture.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The main reason I can find that was disappointing is Cunard obviously knew about dry dock and missing Lisbon prior to leaving Southampton. They should have told customers and given option of cancelling or at least an amount of OBC as a gesture.

A small amount of OBC would have been nice. It would also have been nice to tell people before they left, as does often happen with itinerary changes. But why should they give people the option of cancelling because of one change of port. It would be crazy. Or perhaps they could have charged extra to all those who preferred Cadiz. 😀

• Like 1