Art auctions just aren’t the same…

wcook

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is sort of like wanting to feed a thousand people with a hundred servings of soup:  if you keep adding water, you will always have enough.   Anyone who sailed HAL, Celebrity or Princess before they joined the downward spiral of competition with Carnival and NCL will see that HAL, Celebrity and Princess are more than a little bit different from how they were twenty years ago.

Very true.   Sadly, by all accounts, they are different than they were 2 or 3 years ago.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Very true.   Sadly, by all accounts, they are different than they were 2 or 3 years ago.   

VERY good point.  We are experiencing no 'shortages' in of service or food, so I thank you all for the reminder that Princess is probably struggling with all kinds of issues after the virus.  I'll try to keep a more open mind, but it's difficult in the face of such obvious bad management over such a wide range of fairly simple issues.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 4:52 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Of course not -- the piece you buy at a shipboard "art" auction is the lure --- just the best copy of the hundreds (thousands?) ; and they want to keep it on board so they can keep selling it.  

I hope you did not really think that you had any chance of buying a true "original" at one of those auctions. 

I should never buy anything at an "art" auction.

I was not talking about something bought on the auction. I was talking about "art" someone won. I thought the prizes was small prints, more like postcards but obviously it isn't. 

9 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I was not talking about something bought on the auction. I was talking about "art" someone won. I thought the prizes was small prints, more like postcards but obviously it isn't

At our auction, small prints were given away to everyone who stuck it out to the end. They came in a nice cardstock envelope and you just took it with you. You could win larger prints; those are the ones you get shipped to your house for $35 infrared. 

On 12/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, wcook said:

when you have a drink package. Always a fun time, but mostly for the free champagne I think. Just a big goof - a only on a cruise ship activity. But somehow I feel like I’m being cheated since I’m not “scamming” free alcohol. Maybe I could actually buy some art. Bwahahahaha. Kidding. 

Anyway, auction starts in 10 minutes. Hope everyone is having a great day. 

That's a stretch calling the hooch 'champagne'.  But it was always fun to swill and chuckle at the stuff they sell.  

We think cruise ship art auctions have been consistent for decades 🙂  Since I would get flamed for even hinting that these auctions are a "rip off" I will not say such a thing :).  We do have an old acquaintance that used to make his living running those auctions on cruise ships and he now lives in a very large home (in Florida) and regularly cruises (as a passenger) on all the money he made with those art auctions.  On the other hand, selling art to folks has some similarities to selling vitamins!  If the person is happy with their purchase, then God bless em.

But folks should use their own eyes.  Why do you think that some cruise lines allocate lots of space and time to the art auction folks?  Do you think they do it out of the goodness of their heart?  or....Do you think they might do it because it has proved to be a major profit center?

Hank

• Like 2

I've never even been remotely tempted by the works on offer. But if I was on QM2 and they were offering prints of Stephen Card's Cunard ship paintings, I'd be seriously tempted. But as a substitute I have got the book Cunarder which contains lots of them.

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We think cruise ship art auctions have been consistent for decades 🙂  Since I would get flamed for even hinting that these auctions are a "rip off" I will not say such a thing :). 

No Worries, I will - RIP OFF!

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But folks should use their own eyes.  Why do you think that some cruise lines allocate lots of space and time to the art auction folks?  Do you think they do it out of the goodness of their heart?  or....Do you think they might do it because it has proved to be a major profit center?

Hank

Lots of cruisers are SUCKERS! 

W. C. Fields was right; "It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money." 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We think cruise ship art auctions have been consistent for decades 🙂  Since I would get flamed for even hinting that these auctions are a "rip off" I will not say such a thing :).  We do have an old acquaintance that used to make his living running those auctions on cruise ships and he now lives in a very large home (in Florida) and regularly cruises (as a passenger) on all the money he made with those art auctions.  On the other hand, selling art to folks has some similarities to selling vitamins!  If the person is happy with their purchase, then God bless em.

Hank

‘Look, those are the bankers’ and brokers’ yachts.’

‘Where are the customers’ yachts?’ asked the naive visitor.”

Just like anything else, if you are pleased with what you buy, you're a winner.  Jewelry, artwork, gimcracky stuff, 'resortwear' you'll never wear again ... never mind all the scoffers ... if it makes you happy, go for it.  

I have a friend with an online consumer advocacy, Michelle just told the story about a woman who bought a $20K diamond in the Caribbean, then changed her mind after she got home, wanted her money back.  She actually told Michelle that Diamonds International had 'forced' her to buy the thing.  So be honest with yourself and enjoy whatever you purchase.  But maybe put a dollar limit on your shopping?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Just like anything else, if you are pleased with what you buy, you're a winner.  Jewelry, artwork, gimcracky stuff, 'resortwear' you'll never wear again ... never mind all the scoffers ... if it makes you happy, go for it.  

I have a friend with an online consumer advocacy, Michelle just told the story about a woman who bought a $20K diamond in the Caribbean, then changed her mind after she got home, wanted her money back.  She actually told Michelle that Diamonds International had 'forced' her to buy the thing.  So be honest with yourself and enjoy whatever you purchase.  But maybe put a dollar limit on your shopping?  

Back in the mid-1600s, lots of people were very pleased with their purchases of tulip bulbs ... until they weren't. 🤯 📉 

At least they were pretty. 🌷

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Back in the mid-1600s, lots of people were very pleased with their purchases of tulip bulbs ... until they weren't. 🤯 📉 

And in the early-2000s lots of people are (or, until recently, were) very pleased with their purchases of virtual currency.

13 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And in the early-2000s lots of people are (or, until recently, were) very pleased with their purchases of virtual currency.

🤔 Are you implying that that the Tulip NFT I bought in 2021 for $55K, which BTW I stare at all the time, might not be worth $55K anymore?  🤯  But it's an original, non fungible, one of a kind, masterpiece! 

And don't you dare criticize my purchase of those wonderful Bored Ape Yacht Club tokens. Hey they are true art, not like that Mona Lisa chick's 'painting'! So what if they cost me $12 mil? 

(Please note; the above is non fungible sarcasm. 😁

• Haha 2

We noticed a very strange sculpture in the "Fine Arts Gallery" during our Princess Northern Capitals cruise this past October.   It looked like a plucked Turkey that had been run over a few times then left too long in a toaster oven.

Anyone else on the Island notice that?  It was right at the entrance to the "Fine Arts Gallery".   I wonder what it was supposed to be.    

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We noticed a very strange sculpture in the "Fine Arts Gallery" during our Princess Northern Capitals cruise this past October.   It looked like a plucked Turkey that had been run over a few times then left too long in a toaster oven.

Anyone else on the Island notice that?  It was right at the entrance to the "Fine Arts Gallery".   I wonder what it was supposed to be.    

It was likely a plucked Turkey that had been run over a few times :).  My "favorite" work of art is in the Gugenheim (Bilbao) and is simply a small pile of dust/dirt next to a normal dustpan.  The first time we saw it we thought the janitor had simply gone on break :).  

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It was likely a plucked Turkey that had been run over a few times :).  My "favorite" work of art is in the Gugenheim (Bilbao) and is simply a small pile of dust/dirt next to a normal dustpan.  The first time we saw it we thought the janitor had simply gone on break :).  

Hank

That's funny!  I actually found the building to be much more impressive than the contents.   

32 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That's funny!  I actually found the building to be much more impressive than the contents.   

Completely agree.  We have suggested that folks might want to take the tram (or the long walk)over to the Gugenheim and admire it from outside.  One can also walk in the main doors and admire the main atrium (without buying an entrance ticket).  We have found the art collection very disappointing although they do sometimes have some excellent special exhibitions.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 10:30 PM, ldubs said:

Sounds like a representation of a customer of Park West...🤔

• Haha 1