Peru Travel Warning-Heads Up-Maybe Important-Please Read if you are on the Moon Grand Voyage.

chrism23

The US State Department issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for all of Peru (go to the State Department Smart Traveler Program for more info) on December 22 for all of Peru.  A level 3 warning advises one to "reconsider" travel.  It expands its Do Not Travel Notice to a number of other destinations including Cusco.  For the moment, and these situations are always fluid, this does mean, among other things, that if you signed up for a pre or post tour Macchu Pichu excursion, you are not going if your are sane.  I don't think the State Department can prevent you from going there. If you choose to go, I think this does mean your are on your own.  Mazel Tov.  

Most Silversea passengers on this trip are using the Westin Miraflores hotel as their pre-embarkation (Silver) hotel.  For those who haven't been to Lima before, the Miraflores neighborhood is a very upscale, posh, district and as safe as your are going to get in Lima.  I am not worried about that.  Although I had scheduled a one day private tour of Lima which I might soon cancel.  

Now what Silversea does with this I have not a clue and maybe someone here can enlighten us all.  If it is nothing more than protesters setting up barricades and burning trash cans no big deal.  If they start shooting, BigDeal.  The Moon's departure date from Lima is January 22 and evidently there are quite a few SS Pax embarking in Lima.  Bypassing Peru and boarding at the next-non Peruvian port which is Arica Chile, in my mind, cannot be an option because of the logistics of air travel and many other things.  So, for the moment, there is not much we can do.

For those so inclined please do not get snarky with this, like whoever asked if I had been to Sevastapol lately in a previous thread.  This can be serious stuff and warrants serious attention.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrism23 said:

For those so inclined please do not get snarky with this, like whoever asked if I had been to Sevastapol lately in a previous thread.  This can be serious stuff and warrants serious attention.  

That certainly wasn’t snarky, it was intended as humour and acknowledging your long list of flashpoints on your travels. Apologies if you thought it was. I agree it’s very serious stuff. I did go on to raise the very real concerns of Insurance cover, which you acknowledged.

Agree Arica isn’t an option having personally faced that situation in January and had to stay on to Valparaiso as it wasn’t a place we could disembark to fly home.

• Like 1

These are not normal times in Peru. However, I do not react automatically to State Department travel advisories. Having lived and work abroad for a number of years and having good cooperative relations with the consular services, I know that State Is hyper-cautious.  Part of this is the CYA mentality of many bureaucrats, who quite reasonably do not want to be called in front of congressional committees if a citizen or two happens to have been injured in a riot.  Why were they there?  People should exercise common sense to retreat from such situations.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Observer said:

These are not normal times in Peru. However, I do not react automatically to State Department travel advisories. Having lived and work abroad for a number of years and having good cooperative relations with the consular services, I know that State Is hyper-cautious.  Part of this is the CYA mentality of many bureaucrats, who quite reasonably do not want to be called in front of congressional committees if a citizen or two happens to have been injured in a riot.  Why were they there?  People should exercise common sense to retreat from such situations.

Appreciate these excellent, above comments.  Yes, be careful and cautious.  But, don't avoid any and all potential challenges in the world.  There are serious issues in many places, but the media and bureaucracies do, at times, over-hype situations.  Using good judgement is usually the best policy. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It would seem that no stops allowed in Peru now and even embarkation / disembarkation is going to be a huge issue in Lima. Currently the Moon is on its way to Salaverry, but no guest allowed off.

Brings back memories of 12 months ago where we weren’t allowed into Peru either, though that was Covid lockdown related.

Safe travels to all doing the swap in Lima. Anyone on board or boarding please update and confirm if that’s what has happened. Viewing the TV footage in Lima right now, looks pretty scary with tear gas, buildings ablaze and 1000s on the streets battling the police.

7 hours ago, les37b said:

It would seem that no stops allowed in Peru now and even embarkation / disembarkation is going to be a huge issue in Lima.

What’s your source that no cruise ships can stop in Peru, Les?  If true, I expect ChrisM’s report to be fascinating.  From what I’ve heard from a friend on board is that the Moon is sailing for Lima where disembarkation / embarkation will take place.  All land tours have been cancelled there though.

Edited by Stumblefoot

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

What’s your source that no cruise ships can stop in Peru, Les?  If true, I expect ChrisM’s report to be fascinating.  From what I’ve heard from a friend on board is that the Moon is sailing for Lima where disembarkation / embarkation will take place.  All land tours have been cancelled there though.

It was my wife that said it to me this morning (so far from reliable!) and guess she was quoting from someone on that other site and onboard. I did say in the post is anyone on board able to confirm if it was true.

When I checked, the Moon was on its way to Salaverry this morning. It’s currently bobbing about outside of Salaverry and shown as “underway” but travelling at under 1Kph. Is Salaverry a dock or tender port? (We weren’t permitted to visit there last year either so don’t know.) But if it is a dock port, it does sound like it’s accurate.

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm. Fingers crossed I didn’t see something on the internet that turned out not to be true! lol If your friend is on board now, they should be in Saleverry not on way to Lima, so it certainly sounds like they are saying they’ve bypassed Salaverry.

Did you see the footage from Lima? As long as the airport/ hotels used/ and dock is clear of the troubles, all should be ok if allowed to travel.  It  sure looked messed up what I saw.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Seabourn Quest is in Lima now. We have CC members onboard who have posted on the SB board earlier today. 

Update, it was a fuel and provisions call only, guests were apparently not allowed to disembark. 

3 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Update, it was a fuel and provisions call only, guests were apparently not allowed to disembark. 

The Sojourn and Moon are both on their way to Callao. Seven seas Marina has just left.

On the Seabourn board, no passengers allowed off and was treated as a supply stop only. Can’t see anything for Mariner.

The Moons stop is obviously a different scenario being an embarkation / disembarkation stop. Fingers crossed all goes well and transition is straight forward and uneventful….. and allowed!.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Everything went well.  The ship and passengers are in Arica today as they begin their long, slow slide down the coast of Chile.

Great news…. Hopefully their journey isn’t as eventful and scary as our journey to Arica 12 months ago when the whole ship shuddered for a minute after we hit a whale!

• Like 1

Reminded me of our arrival into Arica from Guayaquil (Should have been Lima!)

Yes, a yellow quarantine flag - luckily she escaped Jail 2 days before arrival and we were both able to do an excursion which included a visit to that rather large flag!

Hopefully there is no yellow flag today?

image.thumb.png.bb9c2dc945af5a27614870a6cd20fbb7.png

image.thumb.png.2eb56c034969f6c7727acedae6680a49.png

• Like 1