Diamond and spouse in same cabin

sml3

15 hours ago, sml3 said:

My 27 year old son and his wife are traveling with us in February. My son just did his check in and it came up on his set sail pass that he is diamond status. My husband and I are diamond but my son has not cruised with us since we reached that status. We were gold the last time he was with us. When he logs into his account online his C&A number is not showing. It is showing on his reservation. I think somehow our travel agent set his status to diamond by accident. My question is that since his information now says diamond will his spouse also be diamond on this cruise? If so how should we go about setting her up for those benefits on the cruise? Hope this all made sense!

It may *not* be a mistake that your son is diamond.  If you made diamond before he turned 18, then technically, he matches you up until he's 18.  Even if he's only sailed once.

My younger stepdaughter is Diamond.  She's been on one cruise. I hit diamond before she hit 18.  She's matched with me at Diamond.  My older step daughter was 18 before I hit platinum.  She stayed Gold.

The problem here, is that status matching matches points of the highest member in the family.  Your son, who does NOT have the prerequisite points to be Diamond, can't share his Diamond status as that was shared with him and he doesn't actually have the points to be diamond.

15 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Your son, who does NOT have the prerequisite points to be Diamond, can't share his Diamond status as that was shared with him and he doesn't actually have the points to be diamond.

When you link to someone with status it doesn't matter how many points they have - the linked person gets the status.

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

When you link to someone with status it doesn't matter how many points they have - the linked person gets the status.

But in this case, the son is the linked person.  He doesn't get to daisy chain his status that was shared to him to his wife.  His points are still at whatever he earned.  I do not believe shared status can be further shared.  I've seen posts here before from people who've tried.  I think to share status, you need to have actually have earned the points to the level that is to be shared.  I think i saw a post a while ago where a widow, or widower who had shared status could not share their status with their new spouse because he or she did not technically earn the status.

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not a problem if you were D+ in 2001

Our problem was we only sailed one Royal cruise prior to kids turning 18. So they never got any matching status. The younger one is kinda pissed that he had to earn his status on his own🤣

We were platinum when our daughter turned 18. She's 19 now and platinum, but with 52 points of her own. We have since turned diamond (yay!) and she is so annoyed! First world problems, right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I do not believe shared status can be further shared.  I've seen posts here before from people who've tried.  I think to share status, you need to have actually have earned the points to the level that is to be shared.

I don't recall anyone being denied status linking regardless of point level. What you do need the points for is to move to the next level.

Biker, whose DD is a 50ish point D+ who has linked to a first-time cruiser who is now also a D+.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I don't recall anyone being denied status linking regardless of point level. What you do need the points for is to move to the next level.

Biker, whose DD is a 50ish point D+ who has linked to a first-time cruiser who is now also a D+.

You're able to do it?  That's awesome. 

My stepdaughter unfortunately will probably never cruise again :(.  She's Diamond though with 10 points, so she'll never really get to use those benefits.

31 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

We were platinum when our daughter turned 18. She's 19 now and platinum, but with 52 points of her own. We have since turned diamond (yay!) and she is so annoyed! First world problems, right? 

Tell her to save her money and she too can advance in points lol.

• Haha 1

My parents reached Diamond after I turned 18 but I sailed with them prior to turning 18. I and subsequently my wife have achieved Diamond status due to my parents teaching Diamond. I have been on multiple cruises and never had an issue for me or my wife. We even went on a celebrity as Elite. 

i know there was a change in C&A in the mid 2000s? That closed that loophole

37 minutes ago, nyguyrw said:

My parents reached Diamond after I turned 18 but I sailed with them prior to turning 18. I and subsequently my wife have achieved Diamond status due to my parents teaching Diamond. I have been on multiple cruises and never had an issue for me or my wife. We even went on a celebrity as Elite. 

i know there was a change in C&A in the mid 2000s? That closed that loophole

That's awesome! Maybe his first step is calling C&A to see what his status is when he gives them his number. Perhaps he is truly showing as diamond!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sml3 said:

That's awesome! Maybe his first step is calling C&A to see what his status is when he gives them his number. Perhaps he is truly showing as diamond!

He just called C&A. He is diamond that he inherited from us. It's so crazy because we were gold when he last cruised with us. Is it safe to say that his diamond status won't be revoked?

• Like 2

My husband and I are diamond, we only took our childern on three of our cruises. On their own they might be gold.  My son is 25 and recently married.   He booked a cruise as a honeymoon directly with RCCL. During the booking process, the RCCL agent said congratulations on reaching diamond and welcome back to cruising.  The booking agent set up the soon to be new wife with a C&A number with 0 points, but couldn't make her diamond because they system won't let a 0 be diamond.  

When they got on the ship, a few days after the wedding. They went to the Loyalty desk and requested matching status for her.  The Loyalty desk agent asked for a copy of something proving they were married.  Luckly, they had taken a picture of the marriage license and had it on their phones.  Now they are both diamonds.  Seems like a strange loyalty program.

Edited by kathygruvs

36 minutes ago, sml3 said:

He just called C&A. He is diamond that he inherited from us. It's so crazy because we were gold when he last cruised with us. Is it safe to say that his diamond status won't be revoked?

Safe to say he is officially diamond. 🍷 The only difference is his CAS cruise points will be different than yours. His wife will also be diamond. 

Edited by davekathy

Call the Crown and Anchor number and sort this out.  If he is diamond (not matter how he got there) then she is entitled to his status.   If she needs a C&A number they can sort that out too.  I recently had my wife's status upgraded to Diamond Plus doing this. 

3 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Call the Crown and Anchor number and sort this out.  If he is diamond (not matter how he got there) then she is entitled to his status.   If she needs a C&A number they can sort that out too.  I recently had my wife's status upgraded to Diamond Plus doing this. 

See post #37. 

2 hours ago, sml3 said:

Don’t think it makes a difference when he cruised with you, only what your status was prior to him turning 18.  Assuming his number was linked to yours when he DID cruise with you, his status matched yours.  If you were Diamond when he turned 18, so was he.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

But in this case, the son is the linked person.  He doesn't get to daisy chain his status that was shared to him to his wife.  His points are still at whatever he earned.  I do not believe shared status can be further shared.  I've seen posts here before from people who've tried.  I think to share status, you need to have actually have earned the points to the level that is to be shared.  I think i saw a post a while ago where a widow, or widower who had shared status could not share their status with their new spouse because he or she did not technically earn the status.

I can tell you the daisychain effect is in full force, from personal experience with sons-in-law

Edited by not-enough-cruising

2 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I'm happy to be wrong here.  I may have misread something else then.

Just for the sake of a funny story, I can take it one step further.

The wife and I have a friend who inherited diamond plus status from her second husband. She went on one cruise and then got a divorce. (Another funny story for another day.)

She is now a 14 point diamond plus who shares her ex-husband’s status with her new husband and he has never been on a cruise but will be diamond plus on his first cruise with us in February

Herein  lies one of the problems with the structure of the status sharing within the program

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Just for the sake of a funny story, I can take it one step further.

The wife and I have a friend who inherited diamond plus status from her second husband. She went on one cruise and then got a divorce. (Another funny story for another day.)

She is now a 14 point diamond plus who shares her ex-husband’s status with her new husband and he has never been on a cruise but will be diamond plus on his first cruise with us in February

Herein  lies one of the problems with the structure of the status sharing within the program

See, I could have sworn i read a post here where this didn't happen.  Or they cancelled the sharing status, or something where it involved a death or divorce.  

7 hours ago, BND said:

Tell her to save her money and she too can advance in points lol.

She's too busy going to college to cruise with us these days... her next cruise isn't until June 2024. I think we will make it to diamond plus before she makes it to diamond lol

My husband and I reached Diamond Status a number of years ago and our younger son acquired the same status as us prior to his turning 18. He was 17 when we became Diamond.  His wife had never set foot on cruise ship in her entire life.  She is more of sailboat / yacht girl.  Anyhow, she took much pride in entering the Diamond Lounge with her Diamond Status having some munchies and drinks, chatting with all the old timers but more importantly getting the four free drinks or was it three for her daily allocation onto her cruise card.  Automatically, when my son sent in a copy of their marriage license and proof that they lived at the same address (lol), she was given Diamond Status to match that of my son.  Unfortunately, they are both miffed that husband and I did not achieve Diamond Plus before he turned 18.  I told him that he would not have his Elite Princess Status (which means nothing these days) if we would have totally concentrated our cruises with RCCL. Oh well.  Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. (LoL).  So to answer the question, son should call RCCL, send proof of marriage and same living address and voila Diamond status accorded to the wife as well.