Antarctica: all 3 ships meet

alithecat

I would love to do that. I’m 99.9% certain however that drone use is illegal in Antarctica. I know it’s done, so suspect it’s with a special license to do so operated by the ship not guests. I’m fairly sure I looked this up a while back. All the greatest locations are off limits… 

What a fantastic photo that is. Thanks for sharing OP… love to see some more if you have any.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, les37b said:

I would love to do that. I’m 99.9% certain however that drone use is illegal in Antarctica. I know it’s done, so suspect it’s with a special license to do so operated by the ship not guests. I’m fairly sure I looked this up a while back. All the greatest locations are off limits… 

What a fantastic photo that is. Thanks for sharing OP… love to see some more if you have any.

On our ship passengers were banned from using drones but the expedition team had them aloft all the time when the weather was OK. 

55 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

On our ship passengers were banned from using drones but the expedition team had them aloft all the time when the weather was OK. 

Confirming what I’d said. Cheers.

Recreational flights are banned. It is possible to fly with a permit for making documentaries and other commercial use. It would seem you also need to hold an advanced license (which probably 99.9% of UAV pilots won’t hold. I certainly don’t.)

https://www.antarcticaguide.com/blog/can-you-fly-drone-your-antarctic-cruise

The reasons it gives, to a degree is fair enough, though I don’t buy the it would diminish enjoyment of fellow guests being buzzed by noisy drones. It’s highly unlikely you’d hear mine unless you were 20 feet or so away and it certainly wouldn’t be noisy.  I simply would never get that close.

I can understand not wanting to disturb wildlife, though again, I wouldn’t go close enough… others might not, so it’s just a no no.  Pollution from crashed drones I guess is fair enough. You can’t ever guarantee mechanical or battery failure, pilot error or attacks from above. I’ve certainly had to evade attacks from gulls on numerous occasions. As mentioned, weather is another issue. I suspect gusty winds are likely a huge issue.

That said, having your voyage recorded by expedition crew who I’m aware do produce a keepsake, must be a superb keepsake. 

Anyone able to confirm what the DVD(?) produced is like? Length of movie, did it cover guest movements or simply scenery, wildlife and ship? I’m sure I read the DVD was gifted to guests, though that might be wishful thinking, especially now.

13 hours ago, alithecat said:

We are on the Cloud and just met the Wind and Endevour on a beautiful Antarctica evening. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c57a3ec09079a3a6f2e7ac02d006b8eb.jpeg

That is soooo cool!  Mrs Banjo and I have never been on Endeaver, but the Wind and Cloud are two of our favorite ships. What a wonderful photo.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

That said, having your voyage recorded by expedition crew who I’m aware do produce a keepsake, must be a superb keepsake. 

Anyone able to confirm what the DVD(?) produced is like? Length of movie, did it cover guest movements or simply scenery, wildlife and ship? I’m sure I read the DVD was gifted to guests, though that might be wishful thinking, especially now.

Les - We were on Seabourn Quest to Antarctica and South Georgia.  The 'memento movie' was given to us on a USB stick, ran about 10 minutes, nice quality imagery, professionally cut together, they preserved passengers' privacy by not having any close-ups etc.  Nice to have and I think they can be found on YouTube.  I also think Silversea used to charge for them.  Maybe I'm wrong there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Les - We were on Seabourn Quest to Antarctica and South Georgia.  The 'memento movie' was given to us on a USB stick, ran about 10 minutes, nice quality imagery, professionally cut together, they preserved passengers' privacy by not having any close-ups etc.  Nice to have and I think they can be found on YouTube.  I also think Silversea used to charge for them.  Maybe I'm wrong there. 

No charge for the USB flash drive on our Cloud cruise a year ago. The only problem I had with it was the Polar Plunge video at the end capturing everyone's dive into the ice-cold water, including my horrible-looking effort. 😬 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

You are correct. They did charge back when we first started doing expeditions (2009), but they stopped charging by 2017, I think.

In our cruise in August 2022 a pen drive were given free of charge. short and only the environment. No guests images.

Thank you to the OP for a wonderful photo.

Only this week we have switched our Cloud Antarctica/Falklands/S.Georgia cruise to Endeavour in November this year. We're looking forward to seeing reviews of the latter in the next few months to see if we have made the correct decision.

On Silver Wind some year ago in the Arctic and they had a 'professional' photographer onboard producing the memento movie - for sale at the end. The movie wasn't very good at all hence he got very few takers IIRC. Good news they have switched to a free of charge USB drive, presumably produced by one of the expedition team.        

We did a back to back Antarctica and South Georgia.  Both gave us a video on a flash drive.  The Antarctica one was excellent filmed and edited by the ships photographer..  The videographer that was to be on board for the second cruise got covid before boarding, so he was not available.  A passenger who happened to work for Silverseas stepped in a did an adequate job.  Both were lovely additions to all the photos we took.  The cruises were last February/ March on the Cloud.

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2023 at 1:56 AM, machotspur said:

Thank you to the OP for a wonderful photo.

Only this week we have switched our Cloud Antarctica/Falklands/S.Georgia cruise to Endeavour in November this year. We're looking forward to seeing reviews of the latter in the next few months to see if we have made the correct decision.

On Silver Wind some year ago in the Arctic and they had a 'professional' photographer onboard producing the memento movie - for sale at the end. The movie wasn't very good at all hence he got very few takers IIRC. Good news they have switched to a free of charge USB drive, presumably produced by one of the expedition team.        

Do you happen to be on the October 31st sailing? We just booked that one and are so excited.