Bimmer09 Christmas Cruise to Mexico on the Diamond

Bimmer09

9 hours ago, LC1950 said:

G'day Norris mate.  Thank you for another very entertaining entry into your Gentleman's Seafaring Journal.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for your brain-fog ... yep can relate to that as DH and I both contracted the dreaded virus after our October/November '22 cruise.  Fortunately now in January we're both back to normal ... or as "normal" as we will ever get but it took time for us 2 old fogies to get over it completely.  Hope you and Carol both fully recover completely very soon.

Wow, another victim of Covid from a cruise. We'll still proceed with the Apex in June.

Carol told me the CDC no longer requires cruise lines to report cases.

There was very little evidence that Covid was still a threat- on the plane, in the hotel, on the ship and in the ports.

You and us can say differently.

Thanks for your good wishes!

Norris

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Wow, another victim of Covid from a cruise. We'll still proceed with the Apex in June.

Carol told me the CDC no longer requires cruise lines to report cases.

There was very little evidence that Covid was still a threat- on the plane, in the hotel, on the ship and in the ports.

You and us can say differently.

Thanks for your good wishes!

Norris

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. We obviously were well protected from severe disease because of our boosters. But man the cruise ship had abandoned ALL protocols. In Mexico they announced several times that local laws required masking on the tenders and busses, but it was ignored by the passengers and not enforced by the crew/tour guides. This made me furious, especially given the age of the passengers. After a near death experience for the industry in 2020, you would think it would be extra careful, but no. I truly don’t know how I could have been more careful, but one-way masking only provides a modicum of protection. Norris didn’t want to bring everybody down by mentioning the Covid, but I felt it was a public service. Obviously we can’t rely upon the CDC to warn cruisers. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Norris- I enjoyed reading your journal about your cruise that did seem very relaxing for you and Carol. It was unfortunate that you did get Covid after dodging it for three years. But, as you pointed out,it was fortunate that you could deal with being sick at home rather than on the ship. 

I read that you are looking forward to a future trip to NYC ( my old stomping grounds) and a cruise in June. I am wondering if you have any reservations/ thoughts about this future travel after dealing with Covid post vacation ?

Would you do anything differently than you did on this past cruise? 

Wishing you and Carol healthy days ahead. Stay warm and safe !

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 1

Carol- I was glad to read Norris’ journal of your cruise. It seemed to be a relaxing time for you and good for you that you attended Spanish classes and other activities on the ship.

It seemed as though I was reading about a cruise occurring before 2020.

It was discouraging to read that the ship had abandoned all Covid protocols.

It seems that cruising in general was safer when testing,vaccination proof and masking was still in place and ships were not filled to capacity.

Although my husband and I have been extremely careful due to some of our health situations, we were considering a Princess Cruise until we read about the loosening of protocols.

I think you had a good point in reporting that you did develop Covid from your travels. It is a public service and gives people something to consider. We all have levels of risk tolerance. My husband has a very risk adverse attitude.

I do not see a cruise in our future. It’s a pity though as our clocks are ticking.

Wishng you and Norris a full recovery soon.

Stay warm and safe.

MJ🙋🏻

10 hours ago, Nee Nee and Biddy said:

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I'm looking forward to hearing about your next cruise in June. All of your reviews are so well written and entertaining. 

My husband and I also came home with Covid after our Alaskan cruise in June.  On the plane ride home I suddenly couldn't smell anything and I knew we were in trouble! Oh well. As the days go by, you will continue to improve.  It took us about 6 weeks to feel 100% again.  

Thank you for the kind compliments.

I'm seeing quite a few Cruise ship Covid responses. Luckily we didn't lose taste nor smell with our dose. 

We last traveled August 2022 to Germany for 11 days, 6 nights of which were spent in a crowded theater where maybe 30-40% were masked. We visited beer gardens -outdoors-where none were masked. These were the only times we were in crowds of people. We stayed healthy. Maybe we were lucky.

At my smoking table on the Diamond I seemed to be a magnet for people who wanted to chat. That I always enjoy-meeting new cruisers-but  none of us were ever masked as we were smoking and drinking.That was the closest I came to strangers but we were close enough to be breathing in the same air. It's a risk you take on a cruise ship.

There seems to be a collective (here and in Europe) feeling that Covid has passed or is no longer a threat. I may have missed that memo...

I have said to Carol during the past two weeks or so "won't it be great to wake up one morning without a cough and with our energy restored?". If it takes 4 more weeks then so be it.

Hope to see you in my June 22 review on X.

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, perfect match said:

I never expected to get through all 11 pages when I started reading earlier tonight, but once I started reading I was hooked and couldn’t stop! I’m keeping this page open so I can come back later and catch up with you and Carol on the rest of your travels. 

There’s way too much for me to try and comment on everything in this wonderful review, so I’ll cut straight to the cats 😻. First of all, my condolences 💐 on the loss of your beautiful Snowy. I’m glad you found not just one, but two new cats to rescue and offer to them a wonderful, loving home.

I’m so glad you and Carol are still cruising and still traveling the world. I’ll definitely be looking for you at the end of June (or will it be July, I didn’t count the days) on the Celebrity board. 

Nancy, I'm glad you found me here! June 22nd we return from Rotterdam after a 12 day to Iceland on the Apex.

Yes we wanted to take two cats-for company when we travel-and we got quite the pair who were already together living on a golf course where I assume they were dumped.

They do nightly floor shows with lots of slow-motion boxing, wrestling and acrobatics with a few long naps in high places thrown in.

Thanks for following!

Norris

• Like 2

Norris, very sorry to hear that you both acquired the dreaded COVID.  I wish you a complete recovery, presto.  I really doubt that you got it on the ship.  As I understand it, you came off the ship on the 27th and had symptoms on the 1st.  That is five days.  The incubation period for Omicron is less than that i.e. around 3 days, give or take.  It is highly unlikely that you would get it on a flight so I'm thinking you most probably got infected somewhere in San Diego or at an airport, San Diego or Chicago.  Or even at your local watering hole after you got home.  But not from the cats.

• Like 1

So glad I found this review.  Glad you and Carol are back to cruising. I’ve always enjoyed your reports and wonderful pictures. Condolences for your dear Snowy and congratulations on your retirement. Often have thought of you and glad to see you here and healthy (besides Covid, I also contracted it on a cruise in May!). Looking forward to your report on the Apex in June!!  Be well!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Norris, very sorry to hear that you both acquired the dreaded COVID.  I wish you a complete recovery, presto.  I really doubt that you got it on the ship.  As I understand it, you came off the ship on the 27th and had symptoms on the 1st.  That is five days.  The incubation period for Omicron is less than that i.e. around 3 days, give or take.  It is highly unlikely that you would get it on a flight so I'm thinking you most probably got infected somewhere in San Diego or at an airport, San Diego or Chicago.  Or even at your local watering hole after you got home.  But not from the cats.

You make a good point. It is difficult to pinpoint where we got infected and the precise onset of symptoms. There are so many variables and so little data. I am 99% certain it was on the cruise itself, however. In order of likelihood: Churchills, bus tours, tenders, dining room. The current strain is much more contagious. We don’t know what the community levels were. Our boosters could be waning in effectiveness after four months (no data made public on this). We didn’t get sick on our 2021 cruise, when testing, masking, and vaccinations were required, not just “recommended.” 

What could we have done differently? Not much. What could the cruise lines do differently? A ton, including enforcing local requirements on excursions. 

Will we cruise again? You betcha! Although I would prefer to take a “calculated risk” when I know the odds. 

Carol

• Like 8

And on the bright side of your covid infection, now you two have hopefully developed the natural immunity which may be the best protection for your next travels. I do hope you feel back to normal soon.

We have done two cruises since covid but still have not caught it (yet), we did not fly for either cruise.

• Like 1

DH and I leave on a 10 day cruise next month so decided to get boosted that past weekend. I'm thinking that was a good decision.

We both came down sick in September after a trip to London, tested negative for Covid but the symptoms sure seemed like Covid. We were only actually sick a few days but had coughs that lasted a while. I think we got it at the airports - they were really crowded and no masks in sight. If it was Covid, then it was the first time for us.

We also cruised last January and I appreciated the precautions that were in place. Too bad there aren't any now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, yoshi said:

And on the bright side of your covid infection, now you two have hopefully developed the natural immunity which may be the best protection for your next travels. I do hope you feel back to normal soon.

We have done two cruises since covid but still have not caught it (yet), we did not fly for either cruise.

Yoshi, I'd be happy if we built up some immunity.

We have a return flight to New York in 5 weeks, then an 8+ hour return flight to Rotterdam in June.

In June-12 days on a ship. I'll hope for the best!

Norris

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Norris- I enjoyed reading your journal about your cruise that did seem very relaxing for you and Carol. It was unfortunate that you did get Covid after dodging it for three years. But, as you pointed out,it was fortunate that you could deal with being sick at home rather than on the ship. 

I read that you are looking forward to a future trip to NYC ( my old stomping grounds) and a cruise in June. I am wondering if you have any reservations/ thoughts about this future travel after dealing with Covid post vacation ?

Would you do anything differently than you did on this past cruise? 

Wishing you and Carol healthy days ahead. Stay warm and safe !

MJ🙋🏻

MJ, we are still planning NYC and Apex in June, therefore rolling the dice. Our alternative is to stay home and continue ordering groceries and food in, thus avoiding human contact . That's the only safe way to proceed. 

However that is not living. Apex will be our only cruise this year if we don't book a Christmas one-which we will do if all goes well in June I imagine. We have an opera in Chicago early February but most of the 3,000 will be masked-we certainly will. 

With caution and protocols relaxed everywhere we have gone since Europe in late 2021 we will still be cautious in taxis, elevators, theaters where  close contact is unavoidable. We will wear our masks.

I did not wear a mask on the ship when talking to someone 3 feet away while drinking at a table. Sip, mask, sip...not practical. Bonkers- as is chew mask chew.

I checked the CDC today and symptoms show 2 to 14 days after infection which is a wide window that would definitely include the ship, hotel, airplane as possibles for breathing Covid.

We'll carry on living is the short answer.

Thanks for your questions!

Norris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

After getting Covid on the Discovery Halloween cruise, I am wondering the same.  Thank you for your opinion.

Thanks for reading my whatever it was and for your question. See my response to MJSailors above..

Cheers!

Norris 

• Like 1

Norris,I totally understand your point of view. Anyone can get Covid anywhere- even a simple trip to the market or local library.

We have traveled to Florida - March 2022 and then Oct-Nov of 2022.

All went well for us on those trips.

We have socialized with friends and family since having both boosters and all has gone well there too.

We are cautious though about visiting places outside of the US as both hubby and I have health issues and I will soon be 70 ( yikes! ),hubby is 71 and we are not as resilient as we used to be in younger days. Our concern is getting medical care if needed in another country.Also my husband does deal with anxiety.

Hoping sometime to venture farther afield.

As always, wishing you and Carol good days and good health-

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 2

Finally got around to finishing this fine Journal.  Thank you as always for the detail, photos and irreverence.  I feel as if I have been on this cruise, which I think is a good thing because it is not an itinerary that I covet.  But I'm not sure if your tales and photos have solidified that opinion or flipped it.  I guess time will tell.  Glad that you and Carol weathered the Covid storm.  Safe and healthy travels to you both from here on out!  

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, Bimmer09 said:

Thank you for the kind compliments.

I'm seeing quite a few Cruise ship Covid responses. Luckily we didn't lose taste nor smell with our dose. 

We last traveled August 2022 to Germany for 11 days, 6 nights of which were spent in a crowded theater where maybe 30-40% were masked. We visited beer gardens -outdoors-where none were masked. These were the only times we were in crowds of people. We stayed healthy. Maybe we were lucky.

At my smoking table on the Diamond I seemed to be a magnet for people who wanted to chat. That I always enjoy-meeting new cruisers-but  none of us were ever masked as we were smoking and drinking.That was the closest I came to strangers but we were close enough to be breathing in the same air. It's a risk you take on a cruise ship.

There seems to be a collective (here and in Europe) feeling that Covid has passed or is no longer a threat. I may have missed that memo...

I have said to Carol during the past two weeks or so "won't it be great to wake up one morning without a cough and with our energy restored?". If it takes 4 more weeks then so be it.

Hope to see you in my June 22 review on X.

Norris

Norris,

Were you in Oberammergau for the Passion Play?!  I was there and saw it!

Jamie

15 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Finally got around to finishing this fine Journal.  Thank you as always for the detail, photos and irreverence.  I feel as if I have been on this cruise, which I think is a good thing because it is not an itinerary that I covet.  But I'm not sure if your tales and photos have solidified that opinion or flipped it.  I guess time will tell.  Glad that you and Carol weathered the Covid storm.  Safe and healthy travels to you both from here on out!  

Jimmy, I'm glad you followed it to the end. My thanks for joining us here!

The itinerary wasn't a bucket list by any means. We wanted to go somewhere warm and Carol said "NO Caribbean" which narrowed our choices. I only booked one excursion before sailing as the pickings were slim to my tastes. Iceland and the UK will be more our style,  bar the temperatures.

This itinerary was for those who like beaches and margaritas and watersports (parasailing, jet skis)

It beat Chicago where temperatures hit minus 30F with the windchill and was a check-in on the Princess experience after the Diamond's long lay off.

I've been reading several boards on CC and cutbacks, staff shortages/staff training are seemingly the order of the day coupled with raising prices. The times, they are a changing...

Norris

10 hours ago, spingal said:

Norris,

Were you in Oberammergau for the Passion Play?!  I was there and saw it!

Jamie

Congratulations on attending the Passion Play.

We were in Germany for the Wagner festival in Bayreuth.

Norris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

The itinerary wasn't a bucket list by any means. We wanted to go somewhere warm and Carol said "NO Caribbean" which narrowed our choices. I only booked one excursion before sailing as the pickings were slim to my tastes.

Living on the east coast, it is just so easy to use the Caribbean as our warm weather escape.  And I spent 5 days in Mazatlán many years back, and many people have said that the cruise port stops aren't all that different.  Not that I didn't enjoy my time there.  I did.  Beach. Shrimp every night that were as big as your hand, washed down by cheap bottles of beer (as opposed to bottles of cheap beer...there is a difference.)  I just don't need a cruise to do the "wash, rinse, repeat" of walking along the waterfront looking at the same crafts, some handmade and many imported from Asia.  And as you know and reported, there aren't many (any??) excursions that draw me in.  If I ever do that itinerary, it would be for the sea days, and perhaps spend as much time on shore as I do when a ship ports in Nassau, if you get my drift.     

12 hours ago, spingal said:

Were you in Oberammergau for the Passion Play?!

Not cruise related, but I saw the PP in 1990.  While on the topic of bucket list items, this was on the top of my mother's.  One of my best friends happened to be living in Garmisch (sp?) in 1990, so I invited myself and my mother for a stay in their guest room and we coupled that with tickets to the Passion Play which included a two-night stay with a "host family" in Oberammergau. Unforgettable experience for lots of reasons, but mostly because of my mother's beaming face when she finally got to do an exotic thing that she had dreamt of for many, many years.      

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 10:15 AM, JimmyVWine said:

If I ever do that itinerary, it would be for the sea days, and perhaps spend as much time on shore as I do when a ship ports in Nassau, if you get my drift.     

Jimmy, we have picked out our cruise for next Christmas which I think you may regard as a more interesting itinerary than the Mexico one...

Ruby Princess December 20, 10 day Panama canal partial transit including Cartagena, Limon (Costa Rica) Georgetown Grand Cayman and Falmouth, Jamaica. Panama canal is on Christmas Day.

How does that sound?

Norris

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Jimmy, we have picked out our cruise for next Christmas which I think you may regard as a more interesting itinerary than the Mexico one...

Ruby Princess December 20, 10 day Panama canal partial transit including Cartagena, Limon (Costa Rica) Georgetown Grand Cayman and Falmouth, Jamaica. Panama canal is on Christmas Day.

How does that sound?

Norris

A+. I will transit the Panama Canal someday. Though I guess I better plan it soon before all the ships are so big that they will clog the canal and cause an international incident. 

• Haha 1

Glad you all are the mend. Really enjoyed reading about your trip while I have been laid up.  We returned from a cruise on January 8th on the Enchanted Princess and had a great time, it was our first since COVID shut things down. It was great we felt the service was amazing compared to our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess in September of 2019.  I had started having a little tickle in my throat the last day of the cruise, then in Ft Lauderdale were there was so many people in the terminal it was standing room only. I went to the bathroom to change, while waiting for a stall heard this guy coughing like he was dying, a cough I would come to know all to well 3 days later when I came down not with COVID but Flu-A and RSV I have been off work at home until yesterday were I went in for a few hours. RSV is apparently just as contagious as COVID. I was told I needed to quarantine for 7 days. Now on second round of medication and still coughing, run down, no energy and if I walk any distance like from my bedroom to the den am out of breath. My wife of course also got sick with RSV but she was exposed to it not only from me but her mother who was in the hospital with it. Her mother, back home, had contracted the virus while we were on the cruise and was taken to the hospital, so my wife was going back and forth between her mom and I. When I went to the doctor they tried to get me a room at the hospital but it was full so sent me home with an arm load of pills and inhalers. I am still sick while her mom 88 is back home and doing great. I think the difference is she received breathing treatments and IV’s and I had only pills and inhalers. So the moral to my sob story here is at this point I would rather have had COVID which I have had not only once but 3 times. Compared to this crap it is a walk in the park. So I do not know if I got sick on the cruise or the airport. We wore masks on the cruise, in the buses on the tours, in the airport, on the plane except to drink, took stairs not the elevator, did not go to any shows, basically we tried to avoid crowds. So there is stuff out there that is just as bad or worse than COVID. Is this going to stop me from cruising nope have 2 more booked already, one in August and in December this year and cannot wait to go! 

• Thanks 1