Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

32 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

If you think there are cutback coming in Oceanview Café, check out the main dining room menus for Beyond's Jan 3rd - 8th cruise. No entree's or appetizers.

People eat too much as it is.  I heard Celebrity is going to hand out baloney sandwiches instead of having dinner service.  I heard it on the internet so it must be true.  😭

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

People eat too much as it is.  I heard Celebrity is going to hand out baloney sandwiches instead of having dinner service.  I heard it on the internet so it must be true.  😭

Anything heard on the big social media site that can’t be mentioned here must be true. 

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Is anyone on the EDGE right now that can confirm/deny?

This was posted to social media today (1/3/23) at 10:00 a.m. EST. According to this cruiser he is currently on the edge and the ocean view buffet is scaled back significantly. He stated this is all that was offered at 6:00 p.m. and that the changes went into effect on 1/1. 

image.png.5d083307d2d12b1820fc0c2706c9a556.png

Edited to add, I'm going to start a new thread just in case someone on the edge isn't following this thread.

That's how the Millie has been for months although I would say it was at least a dozen items which is far more than "a few"

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I think this Board is falling for some classic social media ploys by sad people who have nothing better to do. Start a rumour and sit back and read the reactions. In our experience finding a seat in the OVC in peak lunch hours during the sea days is almost impossible so where would these people go? Makes absolutely no sense and would be mayhem with people even not being able to eat.

Dinner service means after 6pm. You are from another region and are clearly discussing lunch time. I resent the rest of your comments. What is sad is calling a stranger a liar for asking about something they saw on social media. When they come to fruition I can expect an apology, I am sure...

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Doesn't Disney have that unique dining room rotation system? I think with that dining model it kinda changes the whole dynamics. Was there any other venues you can have dinner without an extra fee if you didn't want to go to the dining room? 

Yes; the nightly entertainment includes/involves the dining rooms. There are parades, interactive shows, meal service is specifically timed around live action plays in some dining rooms. The entire dining and entertainment model only works because of how they time it. Anytime dining, night time buffet, etc. would not fit with the entertainment themes and schedules. Specialty restaurants are very limited and pitched as upscale for adults, not family affairs, so there is an understanding that you are stepping out of the dining time entertainment. 

1 hour ago, dreamer321 said:

If you think there are cutback coming in Oceanview Café, check out the main dining room menus for Beyond's Jan 3rd - 8th cruise. No entree's or appetizers.

Where would we see them?

8 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Dinner service means after 6pm. You are from another region and are clearly discussing lunch time. I resent the rest of your comments. What is sad is calling a stranger a liar for asking about something they saw on social media. When they come to fruition I can expect an apology, I am sure...

530pm for MDR select for many (possibly all) ships.  To my surprise, on the Millie at Blu the app says it opens at 530pm but they start seating you at 5pm, serve drinks and bread but you wouldn't get any food until a bit after 530pm

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

530pm for MDR select for many (possibly all) ships.  To my surprise, on the Millie at Blu the app says it opens at 530pm but they start seating you at 5pm, serve drinks and bread but you wouldn't get any food until a bit after 530pm

The buffets are actually open (well, were) from 5-6pm but not published in the paper. There is a whole kids corner loaded up at that time.  I simply meant that the poster was referencing lunch time crowds when the discussion is about dinner.

• Like 1

Just now, 39august said:

we are on  EQ now. Our Luminae waiter told us today that this will happen today. We will check tonite.

The original post I saw was from EQ also.  thanks for taking a few minutes to check it out. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 39august said:

we are on  EQ now. Our Luminae waiter told us today that this will happen today. We will check tonite.

Thanks...Consider using a cell phone to take a video and post to social media or even youtube; if youtube you may receive at least a thousand views since you would be the first to report on this

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

I did not call you a liar, the people to whom I was referring to as sad were those you heard this rumour from (those on social media) not you. I thought that was implicit. As all of my comments were not aimed at you, you have nothing to resent from what I said. I am not here to pick fights, nor score points, and like to show respect to all. I don’t think I have anything to apologise really for but I will sincerely  say sorry for unintentionally offending you as that wasn’t my intention at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So if I'm reading this correctly, and granted I have not read every post, Oceanview dinner buffet is to be cancelled.  Thankfully for my upcoming Equinox February trip, it is not.  I really dislike people who start rumors based on a conversation with a supposed waiter or whatever.  I like links and pictures myself

Screenshot_20230103-170248_Celebrity.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I did not call you a liar, the people to whom I was referring to as sad were those you heard this rumour from (those on social media) not you. I thought that was implicit. As all of my comments were not aimed at you, you have nothing to resent from what I said. I am not here to pick fights, nor score points, and like to show respect to all. I don’t think I have anything to apologise really for but I will sincerely  say sorry for unintentionally offending you as that wasn’t my intention at all. 

Very Fair

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, and granted I have not read every post, Oceanview dinner buffet is to be cancelled.  Thankfully for my upcoming Equinox February trip, it is not.  I really dislike people who start rumors based on a conversation with a supposed waiter or whatever.  I like links and pictures myself

Screenshot_20230103-170248_Celebrity.jpg

The reports are saying it is pizza, pasta, salad bar, stir fry. No central stations, no carving, etc. There are people posting this on the more interactive forums over the past hour saying it started yesterday. I guess 4 corners counts as dinner, but not what people are anticipating or expecting.  I guess we will know in a few hours or days? 

I should have used the phrasing Downgraded or Reduced; that would have been more appropriate. 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

The reports are saying it is pizza, pasta, salad bar, stir fry. No central stations, no carving, etc. There are people posting this on the more interactive forums over the past hour saying it started yesterday. I guess 4 corners counts as dinner, but not what people are anticipating or expecting.  I guess we will know in a few hours or days? 

I should have used the phrasing Downgraded or Reduced; that would have been more appropriate. 

If this is going to be instituted fleet wide that's setting a very disappointing precedent and I don't see how they can consider themselves a premium cruiseline when they're offering less than and literally every other cruiseline. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If this is going to be instituted fleet wide that's setting a very disappointing precedent and I don't see how they can consider themselves a premium cruiseline when they're offering less than and literally every other cruiseline. 

I’m done I’m canceling my first cruise on celebrity. Very disappointed I was paying higher prices for what I was told would be better services 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Hopefully nothing more than a bad test that is retracted quickly. 

Or; introduce a few unpopular changes concurrently and then rescind the most onerous and appear to be "listening to the voice of the customer"

3 minutes ago, Mittens101 said:

I’m done I’m canceling my first cruise on celebrity. Very disappointed I was paying higher prices for what I was told would be better services 

Are you doing so due to the rumors or reports?  I'm not at all saying that they may not be true, but it seems that maybe just the uncertainty has goten to you.  If so, good for taking a stand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LGW59 said:

Are you doing so due to the rumors or reports?  I'm not at all saying that they may not be true, but it seems that maybe just the uncertainty has goten to you.  If so, good for taking a stand.

I’m on the phone checking with celebrity now. When I booked it was for the better food, better room service etc the cutting of services is not what I signed up for

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I did a seven night on Reflection last month and was very much less than impressed with the oceanview cafe offerings.  The cuts of meat were inferior to the rest of the ship.  EVERYTHING was overcooked.  Way too many pots of "food" swimming in sauces and gravy.  Everything was loaded with sugars.

Did you write it up on the survey???

More importantly, did you notify the OVC Manager and the F&B Manager about the less than spectacular challenges???

If so, what was their response?

bon appetit and bon voyage