Interesting (and shocking) change to beverage package upgrade eff. Jan 1 2023

DCGuy64

8 minutes ago, Sharicruz said:

Passengers have never been able to upgrade the O Life House Beverage package prior to boarding.  The cost to upgrade the O Life House Beverage package once you board is $30.00 per person, per day.

Not necessarily questioning your statement (which I know for a fact was true in the past when the upgrade was $20 [difference from $40 to $60]).

Rather, let me rant about how this thread continues to be the perfect example of why, when folks post here on CC about O policy changes or updates or confirmations (supposedly based on info coming direct from O), they really do need to provide a copy of the source document (albeit with personal info redacted if do required).

As I mentioned in an earlier exchange about the O beverage package purchase web page: Until or unless O adds to (or otherwise changes) what’s on its website, what appears there (as right or wrong or irrational or unclear as it may be) is the “de facto” rule. 

That said, however, it’s difficult to not surmise that the confusing and missing clarifications often found on the O website and in many of its communications regarding cruise specifics are anything less than intentional - which then  leaves lots of room to interpret the rules - often at the passengers’ expense.

Want an example? One only needs to look at the deterioration of the SailSafe FAQs throughout 2022 where items regarding what O will/will not pay for in terms of Covid costs slowly disappeared with each update.

• Like 1

So about the Root Beer. I can believe that. I once had an amusing and enlightening conversation with a couple of servers onboard. They truly didn't understand the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero, and of course to add to the confusion the ship frequently has Coke Light which is the international version of Diet Coke. For even more confusion you also have the Caffeine Free options to understand. 

Sure don't want to be drinking a Ginger Beer, that might send them over the edge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

Confusion reigns. If these changes actually happened or are happening, then somebody didn't think it through before the information was released. I'm not shooting you, it appears you're only a messenger. 

I think I'll just quit drinking, that'll make it simpler to figure out. 

Well ORV, let’s not say “quit drinking.” Rather, let’s say “think twice about the O Life booze package (with or without upgrade).”

Some folks are forgetting that the O Life pp fare (even without the air component) is higher than the “cruise only” fare by whatever is the amount of 1/2 the SBC option. Thus, if you pick the basic booze perk (at the old $40/person/day) on a cruise with $800 SBC/cabin O Life value, a 10 day cruise has zero value more than if you purchase the package outright. It only has added value if the cruise is long enough and you drink enough.

FWIW, we no longer do the booze packages regardless of the cruise length or itinerary. And it has little to do with our average consumption. I’ve occasionally done the math and with Happy Hour pricing, Welcome event plus multiple O Club parties per segment (Platinum folks are generally invited to each repeat O Club night), invited dinners, BYO wine, Bin End wines and “favored” bartenders, we come out way ahead on a la carte purchasing.

• Like 2

I am very new to Oceania.  My cruise is 10 months away. I read post like these to gain information to make my upcoming 10 day cruise experience in the Mediterranean all it can be.  I have cruise for decades and twice last year.  I can confirm that drink packages have been an issue on NCL for the last two cruises.  

On to Oceania.  Here is what I have learned on this CruiseCritic.com Oceania Blog.

1. If you Take the Drink Package Perk: You can upgrade to the Prestige Drink package for $20.00 per day per passenger.  You can only upgrade on the ship.  If you do, you don't get all the benefits you would have gotten if you purchased the Prestige Package Pre-Cruise.  What I understand now is that upgrading on the ship will cost as much or more than just buying it from the start. Solution:  I will have my travel agent change my perk to OBC of $600.00.  Use that plus $600.00 of my own to purchase the Prestige Drink Package from now.  Simple solution to a complicated problem.
  2. Best Overall Perk:  The Excursions.  I also did the math on that and I see what everyone is saying.  That said, I rarely use the Cruise Brands excisions and usually do my own.  Especially in the Europe Countries we are traveling in.  
  3. Accuracy from Oceania Telephone Reps:  I originally attempted to book my cruise with one of the Oceania Telephone Reps.  I felt that this person was a very good sales consultant but when I asked some complicated questions (Not my first Rodeo) they never got back with me.  I then booked with my travel agent who answered all my questions quickly and before I would book. Also gave me the American Express Platinum Perks. 

My recent experience with the NCL Premium PLUS Beverage Package (This is the upgrade to the Perk Beverage Program) was bad.  Every time I wanted something, the answer was Supply Chain.  I simply figured that NCL the parent company for Oceania was looking to reduce costs and increase prices. We can all understand this when a cruise company lost so much money, they need a way to get back to even.  All I ask is charge me more, don't confuse me and provide a quality product. Simple as that.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 1

I apologize to everyone. This is my first Oceania cruise and my first time with a TA. I was just passing on info which I guess I shouldn't have and in turn was just part of the problem. I have been on all of the major cruise lines and have never seen this kind of confusion before especially from the cruise line itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amber14 said:

I apologize to everyone. This is my first Oceania cruise and my first time with a TA. I was just passing on info which I guess I shouldn't have and in turn was just part of the problem. I have been on all of the major cruise lines and have never seen this kind of confusion before especially from the cruise line itself.

The cruise line is not confused only the people who are putting out misinformation

Jancruz1

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

The cruise line is not confused only the people who are putting out misinformation

Jancruz1

Jan

I think part of the problem is some phone reps  at O  are not well trained or are confused  then passing on mis information

Post #27  for example

JMO

Lyn

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

when folks post here on CC about O policy changes or updates or confirmations (supposedly based on info coming direct from O), they really do need to provide a copy of the source document (albeit with personal info redacted if do required).

With the caveats and suggestion of FF, has anyone got a written communication more current, more updated or closer to the source than this one?

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Have not seen any  documents from FF to confirm anything he has posted

More to the point - has anyone posted any written communication from an official of Oceania? other than this one? 

Until such time, this is the only official position.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Jan

I think part of the problem is some phone reps  at O  are not well trained or are confused  then passing on mis information

Post #27  for example

JMO

Lyn

I know that Lyn but anyone that has been on this board knows they are not the people to call with questions about on board prices.they are great making reservations and giving the best promotions available

Jancruz1

• Like 3

Just now, Robjame said:

More to the point - has anyone posted any written communication from an official of Oceania? other than this one? 

Until such time, this is the only official position.

What will really be interesting is seeing what the Blue Books posted for arrival after 1/1/23 say. I hardly ever look at them but seem to remember that there’s a full page ad for the booze packages. I should be receiving one in the next few weeks for a mid-February cruise and will post the page if it’s any different than what others may have already posted before then.

Speaking of which…  Anyone have a new Blue Book on hand?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amber14 said:

Amber you are going to have a wonderful cruise and all this will be in the rear view mirror..

Jancruz11

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What will really be interesting is seeing what the Blue Books posted for arrival after 1/1/23 say. I hardly ever look at them but seem to remember that there’s a full page ad for the booze packages. I should be receiving one in the next few weeks for a mid-February cruise and will post the page if it’s any different than what others may have already posted before then.

Speaking of which…  Anyone have a new Blue Book on hand?

Yup, I have one sitting on my lap for a cruise starting next week.  There are no prices printed on the ad for the beverage packages.  On the bottom of the ad it says;

To purchase your Beverage Package and view package options, details and prices, visit OceaniaCruises.com/myaccount or call Oceania Cruises 855-OCEANIA (855-623-2642)

It does not mention a new beverage prepaid gratuity option, which apparently you invented from nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Yup, I have one sitting on my lap for a cruise starting next week.  There are no prices printed on the ad for the beverage packages.  On the bottom of the ad it says;

To purchase your Beverage Package and view package options, details and prices, visit OceaniaCruises.com/myaccount or call Oceania Cruises 855-OCEANIA (855-623-2642)

It does not mention a new beverage prepaid gratuity option, which apparently you invented from nothing. 

Look at the F&B section of your online account and you should find the same option to pre-purchase gratuities related to beverage packages as has been posted here in this thread.
BTW, if your gratuities are covered by Oceania and, as “YOU invented from nothing,” the gratuity box was for the daily service charge for other than booze, your auto-populated total due would be $0.00.

We’re all still waiting for you to demonstrate anything other than what is on the current printed page.

15 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

The funny thing is that whether one DIY or uses a TA depends upon a plethora of factors, including one's time and ability to do something as well as can one even readily access one of these "unicorn" O TAs. And does one spend enough money on a TA over time to develop the magical relationship some tell us about but never give us any details on (since the TAs are anonymous). I suspect little old DSM IA doesn't even have a "unicorn" O TA. And I certainly won't spend enough money a TA to make them want my business! The two times I did try to find and use a "unicorn" I didn't find them offering me anything over and above what I could do myself. I'm focused on booking the cruises during the public SALES.

Give it  a rest

You seem to be able to use the internet you do not need to have a TA in your backyard  I use one in the USA

You already know  why no one mentions their TA by name  

next cruise ask some of the shipmates  who they use if you really want  to know

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Look at the F&B section of your online account and you should find the same option to pre-purchase gratuities related to beverage packages as has been posted here in this thread.
BTW, if your gratuities are covered by Oceania and, as “YOU invented from nothing,” the gratuity box was for the daily service charge for other than booze, your auto-populated total due would be $0.00.

We’re all still waiting for you to demonstrate anything other than what is on the current printed page.

since you're the one that invented that absurd idea and are the only person claiming it is correct, the onus is on you to prove it.

So far you've asked others for proof, hold yourself to the same standard.   

• Like 1