Interesting (and shocking) change to beverage package upgrade eff. Jan 1 2023

DCGuy64

I didn’t even notice the new drinks and prices, I think we had 2 maybe 3 drinks this cruise. 

We were in Jacque’s and asked for a nice dessert wine and the only one offered by the Somelier was a Sauternes which we were surprised about, I would prefer to have been given a few options. 

I do think O should do the decent thing and honour the price for those who are actually on board and had the lower price. 

Also interestingly I was challenged by a waiter about my Root Beer (which I had requested as a fridge drink) as it “Was a beer that they don’t offer” so clearly they are instructed to challenge about drinks purchased from outside drunk outside one’s cabin. All quite correct, I just thought it was an interesting exchange. 

5 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I didn’t even notice the new drinks and prices, I think we had 2 maybe 3 drinks this cruise. 

We were in Jacque’s and asked for a nice dessert wine and the only one offered by the Somelier was a Sauternes which we were surprised about, I would prefer to have been given a few options. 

I do think O should do the decent thing and honour the price for those who are actually on board and had the lower price. 

Also interestingly I was challenged by a waiter about my Root Beer (which I had requested as a fridge drink) as it “Was a beer that they don’t offer” so clearly they are instructed to challenge about drinks purchased from outside drunk outside one’s cabin. All quite correct, I just thought it was an interesting exchange. 

Did the waiter not actually know what root beer was?

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you. Of course, as you say, "as of this morning..." 😆

Forgive the sarcasm (it's not aimed towards you), but when a TA who presumably doesn't work for the cruise line is more trustworthy than the employees who do, that's sad. I don't doubt that we'll have a super cruise, I see tons of great reviews of Oceania so I'm not worried, but I am disappointed not to be able to get a straight answer from them. And by no means is inconsistency confined to Oceania, however this is a LOT more expensive than we usually pay, so I was hoping for better customer service, and that's a (minor) letdown.

Your onboard experience is usually a lot better  than  Customer service  on land 

but the way things are going all bets are off 

Some TA's  are better connected  with O than others 😉

JMO

1 minute ago, shepherd really said:

Did the waiter not actually know what root beer was?

No, I explained what it was an likened it to Ginger Ale where the Ale part is just the name. 

Root Beer isn’t known all over. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Interesting  they would challenge you on a soda  which complimentary

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

Hang on to your suspenders:

We just spent a half hour talking to a bar tender

Bar tenders and assistant bartenders do NOT participate in or share in the gratuities. They are salaried. If you tip within the system, they do not get any of that - none of the 20% drink fee, none of your 18 (23) % daily gratuity, none of the added tip you put on the bar tab when you order a drink. 
If you give the bar tender cash, he does keep that.

The bar waiter DOES participate in the tips which is why a bar tender will encourage you to order through a bar waiter.

Lesson - tip in cash

- order through a bar waiter

From my decades of experience as a cruiser as well as a number of years as a travel agency owner...

Revelation #1: A substantial percentage of the crew honestly doesn't know where their paycheck comes from and how their pay is computed. This is particularly true if they're new...and a substantial percentage of crew on board cruise ships now are new. Hint...the 20% auto gratuity is where their salary primarily comes from. 

Revelation #2:  It's not uncommon for crew to flat out lie about this topic to gain your sympathy and con you into tipping in cash because they can slip those tips directly into their pockets. 

I'm not saying whether what you were told is true or false today on Oceania, but take it with a grain of salt because there's a chance you were not told the truth either out of ignorance or because you were lied to.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

substantial percentage of the crew honestly doesn't know where their paycheck comes from and how their pay is computed. This is particularly true if they're new...and a substantial percentage of crew on board cruise ships now are new.

And a higher percentage of CC experts aren’t the experts they think they are

This is insulting. Until you have some creditable information, resist the impulse to type tripe.

• Like 1

Just now, Robjame said:

And a higher percentage of CC experts aren’t the experts they think they are

This is insulting. Until you have some creditable information, resist the impulse to type tripe.

Credible information...my years as a travel agency owner and decades as a cruiser have given me the opportunity to learn from cruise line executives both on land and from senior hotel officers such as general managers and F&B directors on board ships. Oh...and I've had waiters give me the more accurate information that they prefer an additional gratuity to be in cash rather than added onto the charge slip because they can keep the cash while the added tip on the charge slip is pooled. 

It's rather common for people in general not to read or understand a contract that's shoved in front of them for their signature. Do you really think that somehow crew recruited for shipboard work do a better job of that than other people?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No- I’m not talking about creating a voluminous legal contract. Rather, whether it accompanies a copy of your O invoice, Vacation Summary, pre-purchase tours PDF and/or other O and/or TA “$ docs” or it stands alone, a simple paragraph with “It is my understanding that we agree ……..” should save you from ever having to deal with a “whizzing match” once onboard.

Great post, @Flatbush Flyer, you obviously took a while to write something this thorough and detailed. I really appreciate that (perhaps a tired and overused phrase, but I mean it seriously). I think you are 100% right about having something written in hand. I do plan to have docs at the ready just in case, as you say, it "becomes a problem." Thank you very much!

A little research will set you straight:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

As mentioned above, not all members of the ship staff receive a share of the gratuities paid by passengers. Bartenders, main show entertainers and third-party shop employees are some of the more obvious ones, but they're not the only ones.”

But then again you are the self-proclaimed expert

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meg1021 said:

You're very fortunate to have a knowledgeable TA, fluent in Oceania-speak. We're leaving on the January 15th, 2023 sailing on Insignia.  I emailed my TA with 5 questions that I need answers to on January 1st.  I realize that was a holiday weekend, so I didn't expect a prompt reply, but here it is, a Friday afternoon, and I have yet to hear from her.  I will give it until Monday, and then try another email or phone call.  In addition to that, she's given us incorrect information regarding O Life, but apologized for the mistake.  All in all, somewhat frustrating, for a first time Oceania customer.  I have read the message boards, and fortunately had some of my questions answered by fellow posters, who have sailed with Oceania in the past, and seem to be familiar with a lot of the quirks of their perks, amenities, and various website issues.

I haven't seen you here asking questions, I would caution you to be very wary of information from the BIG social media site. I see so much misinformation there it almost makes my head explode. This board is truly one of the best sites for factual information, with a few exceptions. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Over the 18, almost 19 years you've sailed with O, whom did you believe when you had to get information? I'd really appreciate knowing what, if any, reliable sources of information there are out there. Thanks, and rest assured we very much look forward to our cruise (assuming it sails-it's in Japan and we've had 2 such cruises cancelled due to Covid, we're hopeful but also cautious).

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

My TA

This is a start, but not every TA is as connected and knowledgeable as Lyn's, she's an exception. I would also add that I would listen to people that have a 5-15 year cruising experience with Oceania. I would also listen to people that are currently reporting what is happening onboard. 

There is definitely some good information on this thread, especially about getting anything important in writing. This has saved me a lot of grief over the years while onboard. I always have a printed copy of my most current invoice, my final documents, as well as any paperwork for excursions. I also do this for flights, hotel rooms, rental car, private tours. Call me old school but things in the digital world can go sideways real fast. Not that we don't use modern technology, I just find it good to have a backup.  It also helps to know where things are on the Oceania website in case a policy you were planning on is not being followed on a ship. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Robjame said:

A little research will set you straight:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

As mentioned above, not all members of the ship staff receive a share of the gratuities paid by passengers. Bartenders, main show entertainers and third-party shop employees are some of the more obvious ones, but they're not the only ones.”

But then again you are the self-proclaimed expert

That quote refers to the daily service charge/daily auto gratuity that is added to the passengers' onboard accounts. Those gratuities fund the salaries of housekeeping and restaurant crew.

The beverage auto gratuities...typically 20% these days...are what funds the salaries of the bar waiters and bar tenders.

You're failing to distinguish between the two different types of gratuities and whose salaries they fund and the article neglects to mention the beverage gratuities.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

We have an excellent TA, too. However, this cruise was not booked by him, I received a brochure in the mail last year from my university's alumni association and it was booked through the travel agency they used. This is our first time doing a "co-branded" event featuring the alumni association.

In the past on cruises with these groups  I noticed  the group usually have an evening cocktail hour with snack & drinks provided

Does your group mention this for their guest ?

It is usually a few nights  during the cruise  I have noticed they have these gatherings

3 hours ago, Amber14 said:

After receiving different answers from Oceania reps, my TA contacted her Oceania Business Development Manager and they confirmed what you were told - $30 pp pd before you board to upgrade and $40 if you do it on the ship. Here's their reply:

Here is the accurate information reflecting the price changes with the drinks package

Advance Purchase (Prior to Sailing)
$29.95 per guest, per day – House Select
$59.95 per guest, per day – Prestige Select

Onboard Purchase
$39.95 per guest, per day – House Select
$69.95 per guest, per day – Prestige Select

For those guests who have selected the beverage package (House Select) as their OLife Choice amenity and wish to upgrade once they are on board, the upgrade will be based on the onboard purchase price of $69.95 per guest, per day.

If your guest has selected the Drinks Package as part of OLife, and do wish to upgrade the guest would be responsible for the new cost of $30 per day per person.  If they were to do this onboard it would be the $40 difference

Just for the record, those last two paragraphs are a bit confusing. I think the last one should say this. 

If your guest has selected the Drinks Package as part of OLife, and do wish to upgrade BEFORE THEIR CRUISE the guest would be responsible for the new cost of $30 per day per person.  If they were to do this onboard it would be the $40 difference.

This is also assuming that the value of taking the House Select as your Olife choice is $29.95 a day per person. In the past the value of the House Select has been $39.95, which has made taking it a better value than the OBC or cruise only, depending on the length of your cruise. With a value of $29.95 a day on a 10 day cruise it's a wash, and there is no benefit to using it as a gateway to the Prestige. 

That only leaves working the Shore Excursions to your benefit as an Olife choice, which I truly expect them to get busy destroying. 

It would appear that for those wanting the Prestige package the best way to go is to purchase it before the cruise. Then this takes the benefit of waiting until the 3rd or 4th day out of the equation. 

PS-Amber, Dcguy was actually told it's $70 a day per person to upgrade onboard even if you selected the House Select as your Olife choice

Good luck with this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

Just for the record, those last two paragraphs are a bit confusing. I think the last one should say this. 

If your guest has selected the Drinks Package as part of OLife, and do wish to upgrade BEFORE THEIR CRUISE the guest would be responsible for the new cost of $30 per day per person.  If they were to do this onboard it would be the $40 difference.

This is also assuming that the value of taking the House Select as your Olife choice is $29.95 a day per person. In the past the value of the House Select has been $39.95, which has made taking it a better value than the OBC or cruise only, depending on the length of your cruise. With a value of $29.95 a day on a 10 day cruise it's a wash, and there is no benefit to using it as a gateway to the Prestige. 

That only leaves working the Shore Excursions to your benefit as an Olife choice, which I truly expect them to get busy destroying. 

It would appear that for those wanting the Prestige package the best way to go is to purchase it before the cruise. Then this takes the benefit of waiting until the 3rd or 4th day out of the equation. 

PS-Amber, Dcguy was actually told it's $70 a day per person to upgrade onboard even if you selected the House Select as your Olife choice

Good luck with this. 

New info: you can not upgrade to Prestige from the Olife House package before you board, only once you are onboard and the cost is $40. Oceania is working on getting the correct info out there.

Edited by Amber14
correction

21 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

New info: you can not upgrade to Prestige from the Olife House package before you board, only once you are onboard and the cost is $40. Oceania is working on getting the correct info out there.

Passengers have never been able to upgrade the O Life House Beverage package prior to boarding.  The cost to upgrade the O Life House Beverage package once you board is $30.00 per person, per day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

So, are you saying that your earlier post regarding what your TA learned from O (I.e., ok to do pre-cruise booze upgrade) was incorrect?

If so (or even if not so), this kind of uncertainty just strengthens the argument about having a paper trail that identifies responsible parties.

50 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

Confusion reigns. If these changes actually happened or are happening, then somebody didn't think it through before the information was released. I'm not shooting you, it appears you're only a messenger. 

I think I'll just quit drinking, that'll make it simpler to figure out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5