Pinkenba Renewal?

Sky News has found a story here. I don't know how widely it has been circulating via other news outlets.

Port land is bound to be industrial. Much of the peninsula is low lying and flood prone, and QLD government can't revitalise private land holdings. A sewage plant is not a fun park.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Port land is bound to be industrial.

It's just Sky News being Sky News. If there isn't a story for them to negatively spin about the Qld govt, they'll just make one up.

The cruise terminal is next to a sewage plant, because that was the last bit of suitable river frontage available.

The area is/was an industrial wasteland. The nearest residential suburb is 6km away at Pinkenba Village. Nobody lives near the terminal, and I suspect that nobody has for decades at least.

By the way, who is putting on this supposed pressure? In the report there's no name, no organisation, no nothing.

Rubbish news from a rubbish source.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It's just Sky News being Sky News. If there isn't a story for them to negatively spin about the Qld govt, they'll just make one up.

The cruise terminal is next to a sewage plant, because that was the last bit of suitable river frontage available.

The area is/was an industrial wasteland. The nearest residential suburb is 6km away at Pinkenba Village. Nobody lives near the terminal, and I suspect that nobody has for decades at least.

By the way, who is putting on this supposed pressure? In the report there's no name, no organisation, no nothing.

Rubbish news from a rubbish source.

I figured the News Corp rags would also have a bit on this. Interesting headline Welcome to Bris-bin? Push to upgrade ‘derelict’ zone around city’s $177m tourist magnet. The story is behind a paywall, so I am not bothered to link it

• Like 1

Yes it’s in an industrial area, but you are going there to get on a ship not sightsee. I have been to equally shabby port areas all over the world.  In Buenos Aries we had to board a bus at the terminal and then travel through rows and rows of containers to get to the ship.  ln Peru we docked next to commercial fishing vessels unloading their catch, Costa Rica pretty dodgy etc, etc.

Main problem with BICT is distance to city and lack of transport options.

• Like 6

On 1/9/2023 at 9:52 PM, Gwendy said:

Yes it’s in an industrial area, but you are going there to get on a ship not sightsee. I have been to equally shabby port areas all over the world.  In Buenos Aries we had to board a bus at the terminal and then travel through rows and rows of containers to get to the ship.  ln Peru we docked next to commercial fishing vessels unloading their catch, Costa Rica pretty dodgy etc, etc.

Main problem with BICT is distance to city and lack of transport options.

Actually some people are there to sightsee. People that have Brisbane as a port.

I embarked and disembarked there last year. It's a disgrace. And the design is also ridiculous. You check in and walk a kilometre to get on the ship. Because of this there were MANY people sitting waiting for wheelchairs. They couldn't cope. 

We are going there on a cruise and we will just stay on board. There are no public busses. Only option is a $32 Uber or $40 taxi to the train station.

47 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

Actually some people are there to sightsee. People that have Brisbane as a port.

I embarked and disembarked there last year. It's a disgrace. And the design is also ridiculous. You check in and walk a kilometre to get on the ship. Because of this there were MANY people sitting waiting for wheelchairs. They couldn't cope. 

We are going there on a cruise and we will just stay on board. There are no public busses. Only option is a $32 Uber or $40 taxi to the train station.

Well it definitely isn't a km walk to the ship, slight exaggeration I'm sure. We are both in our 60s & it's no problem at all. I do understand the elderly, disabled, grossly overweight & unfit have a problem. 

After 3hrs in the car to get there I'm just happy to see the ship & start the boarding process. 

I agree as a port stop she's a long way from anywhere. 

• Like 1

The terminal had to be built in an area of the river that could be reached by large cruise ships and where it was wide enough for them to turn around. When the terminal was opened, it was announced that the walkway to the ship is 350 metres long. I calculated the various distances as I walked and reckon that is correct. I felt it was a long way and maybe it could have been designed somewhat better, but the design had to allow for tidal variation.

• Like 1

If you want some views, they can be had on the top decks. To the south is Cleveland and Wellington Point. To the east is Moreton Bay and Tangalooma. To the north is Redcliffe and the Glasshouse Mountains. To the west is the Brisbane River, the Gateway Bridge and the CBD.

We just got back from NZ last month and I'd have to say that Brisbane port, for all its faults, compares favourably with Wellington, Lyttleton  and Napier ports.

Not every port can be the OPT.

• Like 7

It defiantly isn't a km to board from checkin, but yes for some it is not easy, i agree it is not the most prettiest port to dock at, but a lot better than the other side of the river, and yes the public transport at a reasonable price is lacking. But i think we all judge our cruises in Australia by the terminal in Sydney OPT, there are not many ports around the world where you can walk a couple of hundred metres out of you hotel and be at the terminal to checkin.I have been to a lot worse than Brisbane.

• Like 5

Rather than attempting to beautify the Port area, I would like to see them attend to basics like transportation to the Port. I can't say I've been to another major city anywhere else where there is such a lack of transport. When I was there in July, they had split my cruise into two, so Brisbane became a port of call. They put on a shuttle to the CBD for $25 return. From what I've read here, It seems that is no longer an option. I'd like to see a shuttle either into the CBD or nearest train station so passengers on cruises with Brisbane as a port of call can actually get out and enjoy their day. I have family in Brisbane so have seen many sights but there is always something new and I was able to spend the day at GOMA.

Crew on board have also mentioned they hate Brisbane port as its "so damn expensive to get anywhere".

Perhaps the government will wake up if a lot of people are indeed staying on the ship rather than spending their money in Brisbane.

Edited by Yaya_in_Oz
  • Like 2

I feel that transport is necessary when a ship calls into Brisbane as a port of call, but not so essential when it is a turn-around port. I do realise  there are some B2B passengers, but doubt that there would be sufficient to warrant a shuttle bus. Even if there were 30 or 40 people, they wouldn't all want to go to the CBD and they wouldn't all want to go at the same time.

57 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Rather than attempting to beautify the Port area, I would like to see them attend to basics like transportation to the Port. I can't say I've been to another major city anywhere else where there is such a lack of transport. When I was there in July, they had split my cruise into two, so Brisbane became a port of call. They put on a shuttle to the CBD for $25 return. From what I've read here, It seems that is no longer an option. I'd like to see a shuttle either into the CBD or nearest train station so passengers on cruises with Brisbane as a port of call can actually get out and enjoy their day. I have family in Brisbane so have seen many sights but there is always something new and I was able to spend the day at GOMA.

Crew on board have also mentioned they hate Brisbane port as its "so damn expensive to get anywhere".

Perhaps the government will wake up if a lot of people are indeed staying on the ship rather than spending their money in Brisbane.

Those crew that are allowed off the ship in Brisbane get a free crew shuttle to the city, at least on the ships I am aware of. For our last 2 port days in Brisbane, passenger shuttles have been available (P&O and Princess).

The QLD govt has little to gain financially from passengers going into Brisbane. Their part was to build a facility that cruise ships larger than Pacific Explorer could dock at. It is a fine terminal. Brisbane Council - your turn.

58 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Those crew that are allowed off the ship in Brisbane get a free crew shuttle to the city, at least on the ships I am aware of. For our last 2 port days in Brisbane, passenger shuttles have been available (P&O and Princess).

The QLD govt has little to gain financially from passengers going into Brisbane. Their part was to build a facility that cruise ships larger than Pacific Explorer could dock at. It is a fine terminal. Brisbane Council - your turn.

Well thats good to know. When people were talking about transport, I took that to include ports of call. I'll be on the Coral again shortly so I'll chat to the crew so perhaps things are slowly improving.

While the QLD govt may not gain financially, passengers do spend and that keeps businesses happy. 

• Like 1

We also have to remember that cruise ships didn't operate in Australia for close to 2.5 years so ports did not get revenue during this time. I suspect things will improve in time - maybe not quick enough for some people though. 

Even Portside was a bit scruffy the first time we docked there in 2014 or 2015. You disembarked on to the wharf and had to walk a fair distance outside, with no shade or shelter, into the terminal building. By the time we visited there again a new building (apartments?) had been built which included a gangway and walkway inside to the terminal.

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel that transport is necessary when a ship calls into Brisbane as a port of call, but not so essential when it is a turn-around port. I do realise  there are some B2B passengers, but doubt that there would be sufficient to warrant a shuttle bus. Even if there were 30 or 40 people, they wouldn't all want to go to the CBD and they wouldn't all want to go at the same time.

Really? Try many hundreds. I disembarked last month. The lines at the taxi rank and waiting for Ubers was massive. That was the only way (other than ship transfer) to get to a train station. Not everyone has someone to pick them up. People are off in a few hours. 7-9 and everyone is off. 

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

There is a need, someone will fill it and offer a service that will meet that need and make money doing it.

There is a need - but it is a commercially viable need??? 

9 hours ago, sayaguru said:

Really? Try many hundreds. I disembarked last month. The lines at the taxi rank and waiting for Ubers was massive. That was the only way (other than ship transfer) to get to a train station. Not everyone has someone to pick them up. People are off in a few hours. 7-9 and everyone is off. 

Really? Many hundreds doing back to back who would use a shuttle bus?

36 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Really? Many hundreds doing back to back who would use a shuttle bus?

Do cruiselines have day trip excursions for Brisbane?  I think Brisbane is a beautiful city with a lot to offer day visitors.  (Botanical Gardens (city and Mt Cootha), Roma Street Gardens, Southbank, Queensland Performing Arts Centre, Queensland Museum, Art Gallery, Modern Art Gallery, State Library, Museum of Brisbane, Newstead House and US War Memorial, Qld Maritime Museum  and that is just the city. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Do cruiselines have day trip excursions for Brisbane?  I think Brisbane is a beautiful city with a lot to offer day visitors.  (Botanical Gardens (city and Mt Cootha), Roma Street Gardens, Southbank, Queensland Performing Arts Centre, Queensland Museum, Art Gallery, Modern Art Gallery, State Library, Museum of Brisbane, Newstead House and US War Memorial, Qld Maritime Museum  and that is just the city. 

Yes, they do. A typical example:

Princess Cruises - Port - Brisbane, Australia