Beware of Acupuncture onboard

RobinKS

Disclaimer, I did not do enough research, prior to purchasing "Quit Smoking" Acupuncture for my husband on our recent Odyssey of the Seas cruise.  He went to his session on Day 3 and was told that "1 session won't provide any benefits" instead, he would need to have between 5 and 30 sessions, at $179 per session.  What a rip off!  

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

My wife tried it once to relieve some medically-related chronic pain. It led to her finding an acupuncture person at home for quite a while with good success.

My wife is a nurse retired from a pain center.  The medical Doctor she worked for used acupuncture in some cases to ease cases of chronic pain.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobinKS said:

Disclaimer, I did not do enough research, prior to purchasing "Quit Smoking" Acupuncture for my husband on our recent Odyssey of the Seas cruise.  He went to his session on Day 3 and was told that "1 session won't provide any benefits" instead, he would need to have between 5 and 30 sessions, at $179 per session.  What a rip off!  

You can ask first.  Did you actually think that one session was going to be effective?

• Like 2

I enjoy spa services like a massage, facial or the thermal suite, but it stops there. Cruising is NOT the time to try things that could have more serious side-effects like cool-sculpting, injectables, ANYTHING with a laser...if you'd not done it before. Try that stuff out at home with a reputable doctor. 

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

So why even make the post?  Who actually thinks you can "cure" smoking with a single acupuncture session.  Who needs to research that?

I made the post to forewarn others, as we were unable to get a refund when he learned that it would be a minimum of 5 sessions.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Who actually thinks you can "cure" smoking with a single acupuncture session.  

People who don't know and/or haven't researched it. I know absolutely nothing about acupuncture, nothing.  However, I know I don't ever want to do it.  I don't have a phobia of needles, I just don't want people targeting my nerves with sharp objects.  I wouldn't know if it takes one or 500 sessions but if I was interested in it, I'd probably research it.  But, that's me.  I'm not going to go into a public social media site and try to embarrass someone for not researching it and then trying to warn others not to do the same.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RobinKS said:

Thanks for bringing this to a newbie's (not me though) attention. I once considered trying acupuncture but, after I did my research (guess you learned a lesson), decided that it wasn't for me. You may have saved someone from booking that first session! Happy cruising to you!

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

You can ask first.  Did you actually think that one session was going to be effective?

The post you yourself quoted has the actual word "Disclaimer" explaining they did not do research.

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

People who don't know and/or haven't researched it. I know absolutely nothing about acupuncture, nothing.  However, I know I don't ever want to do it.  I don't have a phobia of needles, I just don't want people targeting my nerves with sharp objects.  I wouldn't know if it takes one or 500 sessions but if I was interested in it, I'd probably research it.  But, that's me.  I'm not going to go into a public social media site and try to embarrass someone for not researching it and then trying to warn others not to do the same.   

Acupuncture is considered an essential health benefit in many if not most states, especially as an alternative to opioid use for pain management.  That also means it wouldn't cost $179 per session on the mainland.  

Don't post "Beware of Acupuncture onboard" simply because you didn't research it.  Many people benefit from the procedure.  Acupuncture isn't the problem here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

The post you yourself quoted has the actual word "Disclaimer" explaining they did not do research.

Fine, you go with that, it's perfectly reasonable to expect that a single session of acupuncture is a plausible way to stop smoking.  

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

Acupuncture is considered an essential health benefit in many if not most states, especially as an alternative to opioid use for pain management.  That also means it wouldn't cost $179 per session on the mainland.  

Don't post "Beware of Acupuncture onboard" simply because you didn't research it.  Many people benefit from the procedure.  Acupuncture isn't the problem here.

The post wasn't against acupuncture itself.  Sure, if you only read the title that is one assumption you could make, but that is why there was an actual post when opening the thread.

• Like 1

Just now, vjmatty said:

The post wasn't against acupuncture itself.  Sure, if you only read the title that is one assumption you could make, but that is why there was an actual post when opening the thread.

Then why title it that?  And end with "What a rip off! "

Enjoy the footprint analysis on your next cruise.

3 hours ago, RobinKS said:

Not really.  This was a first "dose" visit.  The price of the sessions, would be dependent on you finding a person to continue with the sessions.  There is no magic one session cure for smoking.  The same goes with pain management.  One session helps, but it must be a series of sessions, to make this work.  So, was it a rip off?  No, it was not, and it seems the person told you how it works.  Nothing to beware of, unless you don't actually do research.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Not really.  This was a first "dose" visit.  The price of the sessions, would be dependent on you finding a person to continue with the sessions.  There is no magic one session cure for smoking.  The same goes with pain management.  One session helps, but it must be a series of sessions, to this work.  So, was it a rip off?  No, it was not, and it seems the person told you how it works.  Nothing to beware of, unless you don't actually do research.  

The possible "rip off" may stem from how it was advertised/presented prior to the sale.  

18 hours ago, Ret MP said:

The possible "rip off" may stem from how it was advertised/presented prior to the sale.  

You are correct, that's what I meant by rip off. It wasn't advertised that it would require multiple sessions. I was only trying to warn others not to make the same mistake I did, by not doing enough research before.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, RobinKS said:

You are correct, that's what I meant by rip off. It wasn't advertised that it would require multiple sessions. I was only trying to warn others not to make the same mistake I did, by not doing enough research before.

There are lots of things to be beware of on cruise ships because they are rip-offs so thanks for pointing out this one. 

• Like 1