MSC Stole my Money

RedgeToo

On 1/9/2023 at 5:19 PM, diesel1973 said:

On my first and only cruise with MSC Guest Services onboard charged me for 2 dinners in 2 speciality restuarants Which I was to get free. The only answer I got from them was "there must be some misunderstanding" .Waste of time posting on here because the MSC cheerleaders will turn it around and make it your fault. It amazes me how these pirates keep  bending some people over but they keep coming back for more. Good luck!!!

Those are the type of issues it’s easier to take to the credit card company if you are within their parameters for a dispute and an on board charge should be within range. 

we had a dispute with TAP airlines about the refund of a cancelled flight, they cancelled.  A letter to DOT helped jar it loose, but what a pain. 

• 5 weeks later...

MSC is very slow with refunds. They make no effort to hide this: the agents on the phone will tell you up front that you won't get your money back for 3 months. They can obviously do better than this if they are motivated to, and I would encourage people in this situation to report it to consumer protection agencies in their countries. If this is determined to be an illegal practice, the CEO will receive some messages that they will not be able to ignore so easily.

In the meantime, if you have something in writing confirming that your refund is on the way, then I think the money will arrive eventually with no further action on your part. Again, I am not saying this is OK, but I believe that continually contacting your TA and MSC only wastes more of your time and makes you angrier, and does not speed up the refund process. If it brings you some satisfaction to post complaints on-line to warn other potential customers, then keep doing that, but as I said the most useful thing you can do is contact consumer advocacy organizations in your jurisdiction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedgeToo said:

Quick update.

Despite promises, MSC has still not refunded my money.

I've messaged Christian Hein 3 times with no response.

Dreadful customer services.

Last November I finally got a $1000 overcharge back. It only took 2 years, dozens of emails, many chats with YC concierge and finally a cruise line rep that my MSC TA has to step in and rectify it.

So there's hope for everyone.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:31 PM, Fitzget said:

That is actually wrong. The single supplement does not apply when two people have paid. In this case, she was charged a cancelation fee equal to her brother's cruise fare of $289. A $75 single supplement on top of that should not have been charged. But we worked it out with customer service and her money was supposedly refunded. We'll see if they actually do. 

Please read the cancellation policy from MSC's website concerning "no shows" or cancellation by one passenger in a double cabin.

In her case, the single supplement did apply and MSC followed its written policy that passengers agree to when booking.

MSC closed the loophole for those who tried to avoid the single supplement for those who boked a fictious cabin mate who then would cancel or be a "no show" on the day of embarkation.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/us/documents/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-221115-FINAL.pdf

On 2/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, Homosassa said:

Please read the cancellation policy from MSC's website concerning "no shows" or cancellation by one passenger in a double cabin.

In her case, the single supplement did apply and MSC followed its written policy that passengers agree to when booking.

MSC closed the loophole for those who tried to avoid the single supplement for those who boked a fictious cabin mate who then would cancel or be a "no show" on the day of embarkation.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/us/documents/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-221115-FINAL.pdf

Interesting because we were told by MSC that she should NOT have been charged the single supplement since she already paid double occupancy. She got a refund. 

Pretty much everybody on this site has experienced problems with MSC's customer service or IT department.  I was just screwed out of $50 OBC because I clicked the wrong button for a cruise next January.  I think you can summarize MSC as:

Onboard = Excellent.

Onland = Sucks.

But we all still cruise MSC.

On my Jan 22 cruise on the Seashore, I had ( or thought I had) pre-purchased 3 funpasses for for my 2 nieces and nephew.  Well it ended up all 3 were loaded on MY sail/sign card, not theirs.  MSC would not transfer the funpasses to their cards.  I ended up losing a large portion because I was not with them the entire time.  I was not a happy camper, but chalked it up to a learning experience.  I now know better and am going on my second MSC cruise ( Seaside) this April.

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

How old are your nieces and nephew?

I vaguely remember signs at the different venues that children below a certain age needed to be accompanied by an adult to use the facility.

That could explain why their passes were on your card.

You are correct!!

Also the kids cards had no spending power. Just primarily for ID purposes getting on and off the ship.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:27 PM, KennyFla said:

Pretty much everybody on this site has experienced problems with MSC's customer service or IT department.  I was just screwed out of $50 OBC because I clicked the wrong button for a cruise next January.  I think you can summarize MSC as:

Onboard = Excellent.

Onland = Sucks.

But we all still cruise MSC.

I won't be cruising with MSC after my October cruise. If I could cancel that one without losing my deposit, I would

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:27 PM, KennyFla said:

Pretty much everybody on this site has experienced problems with MSC's customer service or IT department.  

Nope, have not had any negative experiences with our MSC cruises in any respect, before, during, or after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Nope, have not had any negative experiences with our MSC cruises in any respect, before, during, or after.

Ditto for us.

Any issues we had were either quickly corrected by shore side customer service or Guest Relations on board ship.

• Like 1