Has anyone sailed on Celebrity Millennium recently?

jbinpa

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Random observation of the day: Andrea, the hotel director, is omnipresent. She seems to be in constant motion, walking around the ship and mingling with passengers. If you ever need to speak with her, just stay in one public area for a short time. She’s bound to pass by you in short order. 

Andrea is, quite simply, the commanding face of Celebrity for me. We've had the pleasure of cruising in the past when she was also at the helm of the Hotel department (another B2B2B cruise we enjoyed on the Summit in very early 2020 before covid) and she was a standout then too. She was on the outer deck of the Millie on Feb 11th as we were boarding for our first segment this time, and I recognized her instantly!! She genuinely seems to enjoy her role and appears to perform it expertly, if the service and quality we experienced are any indication. But beyond that, she has also mastered the art of interacting with guests. She was often visible - in fact I'm pretty sure we saw her at least once every single day of our voyage! - and she made it a point to make eye contact and smile as she went about her day, even if she wasn't able to take the time to chat. When she did reach out to personally interact with us, whether it was at Le Petit Chef, or on the pier, or in the MDR, or waiting for coffee at El Bacio, she was always warm and sincere, and seemed genuinely interested in making sure we were absolutely happy with our cruise experience. She sets the bar very high when it comes to customer service interactions, and I think the vast majority of her entire team is doing a great job of meeting that expectation!  If you do chat with her, keep in mind the correct pronunciation of her name... an-DREY-a is correct versus the more common ANN-dree-a  🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

Andrea is, quite simply, the commanding face of Celebrity for me.

Since my post only a few hours ago, we’ve seen and chatted with Andrea (which I have been pronouncing correctly) two more times today. 

• Like 1

Some more random thoughts from today: the Retreat staff on Millennium coordinate more events than other ships I have sailed. Today we had a sailaway on the helipad with another planned for the Retreat Sundeck with live music. I believe some close-up magic is also planned for the lounge. This is a nice change to the somewhat sterile Retreat experiences we’ve had. 

Thanks to those on Cruise Critic who recommended Bonaire Cruisers golf carts. What a great day. We drove at our own pace, stopped when we wanted to, met flamingos, donkeys and goats, and vibed at a beach bar in Sorobon. I can’t recommend Bonaire Cruisers highly enough. 

The passenger count is just under 2000 putting us at about 90% capacity. It definitely feels like 90%. I have no idea how we got there given the number of available cabins just a week ago, but here we are.

That said, I spent about an hour on the Retreat Sundeck this afternoon and had the place nearly to myself. I basically had my own personal staff of 3 catering to my every need. 

We’re about half way through this sailing and are truly finding our stride now. Aruba awaits tomorrow. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, capsplace said:

I saw an earlier post either here or on another thread that the captain is Pierre.  Any remarks or commentary about him?

I met Captain Pierre briefly tonight during dinner. He was polite, cordial and pleasant. It was a pleasure speaking with him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This is Ernest the cruise director’s last week. He leaves for vacation and will return on Constellation. Sarah will be taking over Cruise Director duties on Millennium. 

For us, we felt that Ernest was just meh… we are very social and out and about all the time, but literally only interacted with him one time, and only because we initiated it… And we were left feeling rather underwhelmed by his presence.  But cruise directors, and the way people feel about them, can be a rather subjective thing, so perhaps others have enjoyed his role more than we did. 

On 3/26/2023 at 10:51 PM, RichYak said:

More from Millennium…

I neglected to mention Osvin, the Retreat manager and Ernest, the cruise director in my earlier posts. Radu, my butler, continues to shine. 

My day was spent oscillating between 2 loungers on the beach at St Kitts Marriott—one in the sun and the other in the shade—and drinking painkillers. It was brutally magnificent. I don’t know what was in those drinks but they were perfect. 

Aszy, our taxi driver to and from the Marriott, is now a new friend. Listening to him speak about his homeland and family was inspiring. 

Dinner at Luminae was great. Ivana, the Sommelier, left a bottle of South African syrah at our table that paired well with my fillet mignon and my wife’s duck breast. The proteins weren’t the highest quality, but they were prepared perfectly. 

So far my on-board Zacapa hunt has come up empty. There was none to be found at the Martini Bar, the Rendezvous Lounge, and Cellar Masters. Apparently during the pandemic, we drank everything over 20 years old and need another 23 years to release more Zacapa rum. 

I believe life is a marathon and not a sprint so I feel undeterred. The Retreat Lounge, Sunset Bar, and Sky Lounge are in my crosshairs and tomorrow is a sea day. Victory will be mine, I will find it… I hope. 

By the way, tonight’s sunset, as seen from the Martini Bar, was accompanied by a green flash. There is no better advertisement of M-class ships connection to the sea than that. 

The better part of our evening has been spent on this magnificent balcony, where my thumbs currently and furiously type this, watching the surf and stars and feeling the slight breeze while sipping on cocktails. I’m sure there’s something going on in the theater and many other venues, but this is all the entertainment that we need. 

Now my thumbs are succumbing to the painkillers, syrah, martinis and Irish Whisky so I will sign off for now. More tomorrow. 

Is Edwin your waiter in Luminae, by any chance?

Randy

2 hours ago, capsplace said:

I saw an earlier post either here or on another thread that the captain is Pierre.  Any remarks or commentary about him?

I'm glad you asked. He was the captain of my trip on the Millennium in November. He seemed like a fine captain. I went to his navigation lecture on the cruises last full day. I'm glad I went. Here's my report on it:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@RichYak  Did you do the Chef's Table on this cruise? My wife and I were thinking about it but cannot find the menu or pictures of the dishes for Millennium.  

No we did not. Chef’s Table is not our kind of thing. 

• Thanks 1

Aruba today. I don’t want to put a hex on it, but we’ve had great weather this trip. Having never been to this island before, we decided to let Celebrity handle the planning and did a ship excursion. 

We climbed the rock formation, visited the natural bridge and the lighthouse, and spent the last hour plus at Eagle Beach. I know Aruba is windy but wow. It was a constant sand blasting skin treatment when we weren’t in the water. Beautiful beach, but certainly not my favorite. 

We had our butler bring sushi to our cabin for a late lunch followed by a quick nap then Cafe al Bacio. We watched sailaway from the Sunset Bar with rum drinks then visited Cellar Masters for the first time where we met the very talented Marrin. Tell her what you like and let her do the rest. She has wines that are not listed on the menu. 

Tonight we’re breaking our usual habit by actually going to the theater again—unusual for us. We promised Ernest we’d go to his Vegas show. Then Le Petit Chef for a late dinner.

I’ll report back later. 

• Like 2

No we did not. Chef’s Table is not our kind of thing. 

Thank you.  We were just curious what the menu was like on Millie.

We climbed the rock formation, visited the natural bridge and the lighthouse, and spent the last hour plus at Eagle Beach. I know Aruba is windy but wow. It was a constant sand blasting skin treatment when we weren’t in the water. Beautiful beach, but certainly not my favorite. 

We had our butler bring sushi to our cabin for a late lunch followed by a quick nap then Cafe al Bacio. We watched sailaway from the Sunset Bar with rum drinks then visited Cellar Masters for the first time where we met the very talented Marrin. Tell her what you like and let her do the rest. She has wines that are not listed on the menu. 

Tonight we’re breaking our usual habit by actually going to the theater again—unusual for us. We promised Ernest we’d go to his Vegas show. Then Le Petit Chef for a late dinner.

I’ll report back later. 

I left some skin and blood on the rocks in the old gold mine on my last cruise on that same shore excursion.  I forgot my age and agility and slipped while climbing around on the rocks inside the mine ruins.  

Any idea who might be Marrin's replacement?  We understand that she's leaving next month and we were looking forward to experiencing some excellent concoctions and selections with her. 

Looking forward to hearing your experience at Le Petit Chef. In all our previous Celebrity cruises it's one venue we have discussed but have yet to experience.  Have some extra OBC so was thinking maybe this time, depending on the menu. 

Unlike prior nights, I’m writing this inside my cabin as it’s still far too windy out on the balcony. My whisky tastes almost as good in here, so fear not—I will survive. 

Ernest’s show tonight was very entertaining. The man can sing and the band is really good. We really enjoyed it. Music runs deep in his family and it shows in his performance. 

i know Le Petit Chef is polarizing but we think it’s fun, whimsical, and the food quality is high. Add to that Gede, the excellent somm, and you get a complete dining experience. He perfectly paired a different wine with each course including dessert. He’ll get a mention on the post cruise survey. That’s a big deal in my book. 

On Millennium Le Petit Chef show is the same, night after night, and sailing after sailing… for now. I chose the alternate first course and my wife chose the alternate dessert. Don’t worry about doing this. There is no drop off in quality and it doesn’t diminish the show. Eat what you think you’ll enjoy. 

Curacao tomorrow. Until then, good night.  

• Like 3

On 3/27/2023 at 7:57 PM, DaKahuna said:

@RichYak What menu is being offered in La Petite Chef on Milli?  Could you ask if they plan to change any time soon?  We are thinking of trying it when we are onboard.

John

Here is the new menu being served at Le Petit Chef. It doesn’t look like any changes or alternative menus are on the horizon as this menu and animation show are fairly new. 

As an FYI, this menu is currently showing on the Celebrity app for our November 2023 cruise.

Randy

LE MENU EXTRAORDINAIRE

TARTLET OF SLOW-ROASTED HEIRLOOM TOMATOES

FETA, TAPENADE, ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS, ARUGULA EMULSION

POACHED SHRIMP* AND PERSIAN CUCUMBER SALAD

LEMON-GINGER LECHE DE TIGRE, MANGO-ESPELETTE PEPPERS FLUID GEL, RICE CRACKERS

BRAISED SHORT RIB OF BEEF

HORSERADISH MASH, YOUNG PEAS, WILD MUSHROOM & SMOKED BONE MARROW JUS

STRAWBERRY CHANTILLY NAPOLEON

PUFF PASTRY, WHIPPED CREAM, STRAWBERRIES

THE OTHER MENU

CURED SALMON

HERBS, GAZPACHO, PICKLED SHALLOTS, SALMON ROE*

ROASTED BEETS SALAD

BURRATA, PISTACHIO, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, AGED BALSAMIC, BABY ARUGULA

PAN SEARED MEDITERRANEAN BRANZINO

GREEN ASPARAGUS, MASHED POTATO, CAVIAR BEURRE BLANC*, CHIVES

CHOCOLATE CARAMEL DECADENCE

DARK CHOCOLATE, DARK CHOCOLATE WHIPPED GANACHE, CARAMEL

@RichYak & @Schmoe38  Thank you for the info on Le Petit Chef.  That is the menu showing in my app as well but wanted to make sure that it was correct.  I don't really trust the app that much until we are onboard.  In looking at the menu, the only thing that really appeals to me is the short ribs and the branzino.  Not into beets, roasted tomatoes, etc.  We'll just see how we feel once we are onboard.  I know beyond a shadow of doubt that we will not go hungry.

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@RichYak & @Schmoe38  Thank you for the info on Le Petit Chef.  That is the menu showing in my app as well but wanted to make sure that it was correct.  I don't really trust the app that much until we are onboard.  In looking at the menu, the only thing that really appeals to me is the short ribs and the branzino.  Not into beets, roasted tomatoes, etc.  We'll just see how we feel once we are onboard.  I know beyond a shadow of doubt that we will not go hungry.

The Le Petit Chef menu in the post above is 100% accurate. 

• Thanks 1

I was having a great night until I saw that the disembarkation luggage tags have arrived. All good things must come to an end, so they say. 

Our Taste of Curacao excursion today was meh at best. The guide was pleasant enough but the seats on the bus were tight even for my petite wife. And when one of the sites on the walking tour is the post office, maybe rethink the route. The included lunch at Mambo Beach at the end of the tour was quite good so not a total loss.  

We returned to the ship to find sushi rolls and shrimp cocktail awaiting us. Radu our butler continues to shine. The Retreat staff threw a sail away party on the sundeck with Bryony the solo guitarist providing the musical entertainment. She brings a ton of personality to her act. Her set included songs from Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, The Beatles, and Elvis Presley, so you know it must be good. 

Dinner at Luminae was exciting tonight as there was a wedding proposal. After dinner we returned to the Retreat lounge where I finally remembered to ask about Zacapa 23. Alas, it would appear there is none on board. Luis the bartender recommended Atlantico (I think that’s the name) as a worthy substitute. 

Tomorrow is our final sea day with a Wines of the World tasting with new friends we met this week and a closeup magic show later on. It could get rowdy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

Dinner at Luminae was exciting tonight as there was a wedding proposal. After dinner we returned to the Retreat lounge where I finally remembered to ask about Zacapa 23. Alas, it would appear there is none on board. Luis the bartender recommended Atlantico (I think that’s the name) as a worthy substitute. 

Thank you for following up on this.  I am not familiar with Atlantico so I'll have to look into that.  On the beverage list they show both Bumbu and Brugal which I am familiar with.  

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

Tomorrow is our final sea day with a Wines of the World tasting with new friends we met this week and a closeup magic show later on. It could get rowdy. 

We are signed up for the Food and Wine Paring Workshop but have not signed up for the Wines of the World.  We did this on a previous cruise and I liked it but my DW not so much.  She's a fan of sweet whites and there did not seem to be any of those offered.  Ours was five or six stations, each representing a different country/region, and a red and white win for each.  I hope you enjoy yours and am anxious to hear how it goes. 

"Thank you for following up on this.  I am not familiar with Atlantico so I'll have to look into that.  On the beverage list they show both Bumbu and Brugal which I am familiar with."

Might it have been Diplomatico?  

Thank you for all your information, really looking forward to being back on the Millennium tomorrow.  Right now we are enjoying the wonderful San Juan weather. Sure beats being at home with rain, snow ice etc.  I too was hoping they had Ron Zacapa rum, it was only in the World class bar on the Equinox oh well no problem.

Edited by If only

11 hours ago, RichYak said:

I was having a great night until I saw that the disembarkation luggage tags have arrived. All good things must come to an end, so they say. 

Our Taste of Curacao excursion today was meh at best. The guide was pleasant enough but the seats on the bus were tight even for my petite wife. And when one of the sites on the walking tour is the post office, maybe rethink the route. The included lunch at Mambo Beach at the end of the tour was quite good so not a total loss.  

We returned to the ship to find sushi rolls and shrimp cocktail awaiting us. Radu our butler continues to shine. The Retreat staff threw a sail away party on the sundeck with Bryony the solo guitarist providing the musical entertainment. She brings a ton of personality to her act. Her set included songs from Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, The Beatles, and Elvis Presley, so you know it must be good. 

I enjoy the Ron Zacapa Old Fashioned at the World Class Bar (Diageo liquors).  I was able to order this (frequently!) on Equinox in January.  I have seen here on CC that Diageo no longer has an agreement with the parent company of Zacapa.  Other rums will need to suffice.

5 hours ago, If only said:

Thank you for all your information, really looking forward to being back on the Millennium tomorrow.  Right now we are enjoying the wonderful San Juan weather. Sure beats being at home with rain, snow ice etc.  I too was hoping they had Ron Zacapa rum, it was only in the World class bar on the Equinox oh well no problem.

Shirley

I was only able to buy it in St Maarten and bring it home as part of our duty free allowance. I paid USD $65 for a 1 litre bottle. It runs CAD $89.99 for a 750 ml bottle at the LCBO.

Randy