2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

t do you not get the Zero Proof Package??? LOL

Or you were at the Pool Bar???

Cheers and bon voyage

Bo,

Pool Bar, yes.  Zero package, not so much.  😎

• Haha 2

On 1/24/2023 at 5:18 PM, Jim_Iain said:

When I read the sky is falling posts on this thread,  all I can do is scratch my head.  Seems logical if I need a specific drink or item to consume I would pick it up the night before unopened can or bottle and stick it in the room refrigerator.

That is my plan for Beyond next week. I’ll let you know how it goes in my LIVE thread. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

Interesting post on FB group from someone on Norwegian Dawn who took a picture of Apex anchored nearby.  She was asked about the bars being open on Dawn. Here are her replies.

Response from poster on Dawn when asked about the open bars on the ship: "we’re not on the Apex. We’re on Norwegian Dawn. The bars on our ship are all open. I’m guessing will be same on Apex."

My response to her: "Interesting. Celebrity has only had one bar open while anchored in GC. According to Celebrity it is a new law in GC limiting ships to only one open bar."

Her reply: "very strange. We have 2 to 3 running during day plus the ones in restaurants then the rest open from around 5pm. Same whether in ports or not. The usual ones were open when we docked this morning."

Sort of adds credence to the licensing theory. 

• Like 2

My first thought is that there is some kind of size/passenger numbers thing to it but it looks like the Dawn is just a little smaller.  I guess there must be a 'permit' available for purchase that X hasn't paid for and NCL has.  

Edited by rmalbers

2 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Interesting post on FB group from someone on Norwegian Dawn who took a picture of Apex anchored nearby.  She was asked about the bars being open on Dawn. Here are her replies.

Response from poster on Dawn when asked about the open bars on the ship: "we’re not on the Apex. We’re on Norwegian Dawn. The bars on our ship are all open. I’m guessing will be same on Apex."

My response to her: "Interesting. Celebrity has only had one bar open while anchored in GC. According to Celebrity it is a new law in GC limiting ships to only one open bar."

Her reply: "very strange. We have 2 to 3 running during day plus the ones in restaurants then the rest open from around 5pm. Same whether in ports or not. The usual ones were open when we docked this morning."

Three things possible here:

The Dawn passenger is lying-----doubtful, no reason too

NCL is breaking the law-----doubtful, why would they break the law

Celebrity is lying so they can cut back on drink package drinks----more likely.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Or

The Cayman Islands have a reciprocal agreement with the Bahamas (NCL flag state) and not Malta (Celebrity flag state)...

There are a lot of options that don't involve any of the cruise lines lying. I will confess I can find nothing on any official Cayman Island web page that gives any insight. Licensing per venue makes sense. Requiring an inventory to assess duty makes some sense. Not applying equally to all cruise lines could be a function of flag state and other agreements (or not). It would be nice if X would just state what the requirement actually is and provide the source!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Possibility number 4 (and to me the most likely) below:

26 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

My first thought is that there is some kind of size/passenger numbers thing to it but it looks like the Dawn is just a little smaller.  I guess there must be a 'permit' available for purchase that X hasn't paid for and NCL has.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I replied to her as well.  I don't think she understands the situation. Just like the person on the Apex that says the bars have been open.  No, the question is at the moment while anchored, how many bars are open.   Oh well, tomorrow our friends will be there on another cruiseline so I hope to get a straight answer.

So far no answer from GC port or GC tourisn emails. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

I replied to her as well.  I don't think she understands the situation. Just like the person on the Apex that says the bars have been open.  No, the question is at the moment while anchored, how many bars are open.   Oh well, tomorrow our friends will be there on another cruiseline so I hope to get a straight answer.

So far no answer from GC port or GC tourisn emails. 

@Dar & Bob Thank you for keeping us in the loop. 

At the risk of being accused of being a drunkard or whining from my computer, I have a strong suspicion that this is a Celebrity cost cutting issue.

As much as I love Celebrity, I am becoming a bit concerned in the product they sold compared to the one they're delivering. December was a huge roll out for the 2023/2024 season and right now it's starting to feel like a bait and switch. Hope I am wrong, will know first hand in two weeks. 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cw2go said:

At the risk of being accused of being a drunkard or whining from my computer, I have a strong suspicion that this is a Celebrity cost cutting issue.

As much as I love Celebrity, I am becoming a bit concerned in the product they sold compared to the one they're delivering. December was a huge roll out for the 2023/2024 season and right now it's starting to feel like a bait and switch. Hope I am wrong, will know first hand in two weeks. 

Patty 

I just sent an email to Celebrity asking them to explain the situation and show where this law/regulation is cited.   We had another issue with the dining room so decided to see what they have to say.

I have a huge final payment due in a couple of days and mentioned that these situations are of a concern.  We shall see.   

And no I have no intention of cancelling at this point but some answers as to what X is doing would be nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Admittedly I haven’t read every post here but have Celebrity said that? I thought the reason was GC government imposed a charge so Celebrity decided for commercial reasons they would only open one bar, not because they were forced to. Have I missed something?

And one bar being open is enough for me, never been able to sit at two at the same time despite years of trying.

28 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Patty 

And you should be concerned. Here's an example: I booked my Sky suite back in August. At the time, there were 3 Room Service breakfast categories. Continental, Premium, and Specialty. When I boarded Jan. 12th, Specialty breakfast category was not on the card in my stateroom. My butler informed me that this was not for Sky suites starting that day. (Of course, this was the breakfasts I was looking forward to...) Only Continental and Premium. However,  Specialty breakfasts were on the app for 'Retreat Guests'...I showed him that...and he said "You are absolutely right sir" and I had the breakfasts for my cruise. 

The timing for these (unannounced) changes is colliding with what you expected when you purchased the product. So one needs to be aware of what was advertised when you made the purchase compared to what they offer when you arrive in your SR. And bring it up on the spot when something is missing.

It was the same for the afternoon canapes...not for Sky suites any longer...unless you pointed out that that was the bargain when you made the booking. Now, I didn't care about those, but my neighbors down the hall did...they mentioned it and *boom* they got them. (They had a different butler BTW)  

I haven't looked to see if the marketing blurbs have been updated on the website...but it's obvious they are doing a little more differentiation between upper and lower suites. And it certainly makes the lower suites feel lower...lol...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

Patty 

Be interested to understand your rationale behind thinking it’s a cost cutting issue, how much will it save them doing this in one port of the many that they visit. If they did this at them all I would see the point. Maybe I am being stupid!

14 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Admittedly I haven’t read every post here but have Celebrity said that? I thought the reason was GC government imposed a charge so Celebrity decided for commercial reasons they would only open one bar, not because they were forced to. Have I missed something?

And one bar being open is enough for me, never been able to sit at two at the same time despite years of trying.

According to the blurb in Celebrity today and on the Bars it was "due to local laws and customs regulations" that they were able to offer bar service only at the Pool Bar.

Yes, you can drink at that one bar along with 2,799 other guests.   The 4 bartenders were hustling off their behinds.

Since they mention customs did they have to pay a Duty for the bars they had open?  This hasn't seemed to be the case on any of the other cruise lines.  So that is the big question - what is the reason.  It would really be strange for GC to say only ONE bar. IMO

\

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Be interested to understand your rationale behind thinking it’s a cost cutting issue, how much will it save them doing this in one port of the many that they visit. If they did this at them all I would see the point. Maybe I am being stupid!

As has been mentioned,  it was according to the bar signs due to customs regulations.  Did Celebrity have to pay duty for each bar.  $$$ Waiting for the definitive answer 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

As has been mentioned,  it was according to the bar signs due to customs regulations.  Did Celebrity have to pay duty for each bar.  $$$ Waiting for the definitive answer 

12 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

@C4HCG Not for a second do I think anyone is being stupid but what other reason could there be? Again I said suspected, I really don't know. I've used google like posted and found nothing. Celebrity doesn't seem to be forthright with this info. GC hasn't posted anything on their web pages. It's all seems so secretive so my rational is justified. 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Have I missed something?

Yes, you've missed something. We stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet. We go to a restaurant for lunch, in this case Sushi on 5. We enjoy a glass of wine with lunch. After at least 6 cruises with stops in GC this is the 1st time we have not been able to have wine at lunch. Even the Retreat Lounge (Michael's Club) was shut down. Then to be told that this is a GC regulation, BUT, another cruise line today reported that multiple bars were open is just another nail in the coffin with Celebrity's cuts.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

What it seems to me to be is that GC is now imposing some kind of fee for every bar that cruise ships have open,

Celebrity made the decision that to close all bars would be too drastic so they are paying to keep just the Pool Bar (the most central bar during the day) open.

NCL seems to have decided they will pay to keep more of their bars open.

It's a balancing act between customer satisfaction and what they will pay.

Either way it's a money grab from GC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I got lucky. I booked a cabana for the day when we got to GC. (I was ticked off that we had to tender 6 miles south of George Town itself) 

I had no problem receiving my bottle of Grey Goose and bucket of 6 beers when I checked in to my cabana...what a deal that was!   $99 to book the cabana...and about $80 dollars+ of booze and food given to you as part of the deal!! 

Bean counters must have been off on holiday at the time  🤣

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

So friends are in GC today on another cruiseline and multiple bars are open.  I have sent a second email to Celebrity requesting an explanation.  Waiting on a response 

Thanks for your tenaciousness!! 

Beginning to look more and more like X didn't want to pay something or wanted to cut back on something...or both...lol...

Thanks again...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Good point. If you start counting how many passengers remained onboard who wish to have a drink during the time at anchorage it may be worth a thought that 1 bar cannot accommodate them all in a reasonable fashion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The pool bar has been the one bar to remain open. So if you were only drinking from there you wouldn't have noticed.

That was not the only bar that was serving drinks.  😎