MSC Divina 12/19/22 - Never Again!

peanutzmom

On 1/15/2023 at 7:10 AM, 40yearcruiser said:

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Divina. The cruise experience on a European-based ship is different from the typical US ships. Because they have more of a mix of nationalities among their passengers the style of entertainment, service, and even cuisine is more subdued. We have done 4 cruises on MSC, 3 Caribbean and one transatlantic and have enjoyed their style. Two cruises have been after the Covid shutdown and the crew could not have been more attentive and enthusiatic to serve us. It seems that all the cruise lines (like many other businesses) are having problems with their suppliers. We were on a Princess ship over Christmas and they ran out of lemonade on the 3rd day of a 10-day cruise and also had shortages of other food items they usually have. It's unfortunately a widespread problem. We will be doing an 18-day Middle-East and repositioning cruise on the new MSC World Europa in a couple months. We can't wait to see their new ship. By the way, we also are frequent cruisers with cruises in all parts of the world, and over 700 days at sea on many different cruise lines, so have experienced things we love and things not so great. Don't count MSC out on one experience.

This is not an issue of European ships but of MSC ships... 

34 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

In my word - absofrigginlutely 😉  When leaving the YC area I noted that the ship was overrun with guests looking to maximize the value of their incredibly cheap drink packages.  They were ordering drinks by the fistful and completely overrunning the bars.  As a result the bars were running out of product left and right and the guests were getting more unruly.  It was definitely more of a "Carnival 3 night" party crowd even though it was a 4 night Sunday departure which (in my experience) is usually quieter.

You said it. I definitely attribute the poor behavior to the unlimited drink packages.
We saw it happen at all inclusive resorts and stopped going to them because of the way people acted. 
I would like to go back to the days of cruising where people had to pay for every drink they wanted.

The quality of drinks was better and the majority of people didn’t over indulge because it was coming out of their pocket. 

Besides wine, I didn’t enjoy one mixed drink in the 14 days we were on Divina. Ocean Cay drinks were really gross. 
Stopped for a Margarita on the way back from the Lagoon and it smelled like Lysol…the drink not the bar. 

The all inclusive cruises are really turning into the horrible all inclusive resorts we’ve boycotted. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 12:17 AM, lcpagejr said:

Ive cruised MSC twice previously....fortunately both in YC. I would never cruise MSC outside of YC due to many of the issues you encountered and inconsistencies of service and product that I observed while walking the ship outside of YC

I have my first MSC cruise in three weeks- we already paid way too much for a four day cruise over college spring break.  Considering upgrading to YC, spending more on top of the crazy price for two cabins for four day- about what  I typically pay for a week! Ugh.  Between CC and YouTube, I actually have a sense of dread…

I see lots  of “Never Again” reviews and threads for most cruise lines. I wonder which line they will go to since most are having similar issues? Many things are not the same as previously - cruises, airlines, hotels, restaurants, resorts, etc. Most things cost more and you get less. Continuing to expect things to return to the way they were is just asking for disappointment.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, LTCruzer said:

I see lots  of “Never Again” reviews and threads for most cruise lines. I wonder which line they will go to since most are having similar issues? Many things are not the same as previously - cruises, airlines, hotels, restaurants, resorts, etc. Most things cost more and you get less. Continuing to expect things to return to the way they were is just asking for disappointment.

There’s a lot of choices now. We will keep traveling and try new companies/ships. The days of us being loyal to one brand are over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTCruzer said:

Exactly, look how much Disneyworld costs these days.

1 hour ago, LTCruzer said:

There are industry issues, and then there are issues that come with the fares that MSC is offering including the easy plus package for less than it costs to get on the older carnival ships without drinks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mowogo said:

There are industry issues, and then there are issues that come with the fares that MSC is offering including the easy plus package for less than it costs to get on the older carnival ships without drinks.

Exactly. MSC can afford to undercut everyone their shipping business is their bread and butter.
I’m starting to wonder why they even bothered with the cruise business.  
I’m not liking what I’m reading about some of the problems with their container business at all. 

28 minutes ago, mowogo said:

Not sure I’ve seen too many complaints about prices being too low for any product or service, lol. The 3-4 day cruises on most lines have always been more of a “party” crowd. I guess those that don’t care for the current pricing / passengers can choose Yacht Club, Explora or a more expensive cruise line in the future.

Edited by LTCruzer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, L1211 said:

I have my first MSC cruise in three weeks- we already paid way too much for a four day cruise over college spring break.  Considering upgrading to YC, spending more on top of the crazy price for two cabins for four day- about what  I typically pay for a week! Ugh.  Between CC and YouTube, I actually have a sense of dread…

I think you have to go with an open mind. Our Divina cruise was over New Years and there were 3800 people on for the first 10 days and only 2000 the last 4 days. We definitely spent more time on our balcony because it was hard to get a chair on deck while at sea. We avoided the busy areas of the ship especially the buffet and opted to pay for room service instead. 
We had a good time but it wasn’t our favorite cruise.
That had little to do with the ship or crew and more to do with the loud, rude and obnoxious passengers we had the displeasure of cruising with.  

For that reason alone we will only book YC and never cruise during a holiday again. 

• Thanks 1

We recently returned from the Divina 12/30 -01/09 10 day. This was our first MSC cruise; we were in an Aurea suite with fixed window, no balcony. We rarely sit out on a balcony, but love the natural light, so this was fine for us. Our cabin steward was very helpful and gracious. It was a beautiful cabin with loads of closet and storage space, a comfortable sitting area with armchair and loveseat, and a bathroom with tub and shower, similar to Royal's Junior Suite. There were no USB outlets, and no electric outlets except at the vanity.

Our cabin was at the bow, and both our Dining room and buffet were  from midship to aft, so we did a lot of walking going to meals. We lost 2 pounds each during the cruise, but it wasn't just from walking. We found the dining room meals just  "meh" and the buffet a total disappointment for lunches. A huge percentage of what I saw on plates at lunch was pizza, cheeseburgers, hot dogs and french fries, with usually 1 meat and 1 fish entree. We didn't go hungry, but the food was not a highlight of the trip.

The shows were entertaining, but mostly just song and dance variations from night to night. The pools and whirlpools were lovely, but very crowded even on port days. The gym was full every time we tried to go.

The departure experience was difficult. After getting off the ship ramp, USA passport holders were held back, while foreign passport holders were sent down to claim luggage and clear border control.

When we were finally allowed after  a 40 minute wait to go claim luggage, we found that our bags were not in their numbered zone, but spread out through 3 number sections. We had purchased transfers to Miami International, and had to wait until our bus filled up before heading to the airport. I wish we had taken a taxi, as we had to sit on the coach for 15 minutes  more at the airport while luggage was unloaded.

We expected some differences from our usual cruises, but we did not find the value or the pleasure and I would say I would be unlikely to cruise MSC again. 

Barb

12 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

We recently returned from the Divina 12/30 -01/09 10 day. This was our first MSC cruise; we were in an Aurea suite with fixed window, no balcony. We rarely sit out on a balcony, but love the natural light, so this was fine for us. Our cabin steward was very helpful and gracious. It was a beautiful cabin with loads of closet and storage space, a comfortable sitting area with armchair and loveseat, and a bathroom with tub and shower, similar to Royal's Junior Suite. There were no USB outlets, and no electric outlets except at the vanity.

Our cabin was at the bow, and both our Dining room and buffet were  from midship to aft, so we did a lot of walking going to meals. We lost 2 pounds each during the cruise, but it wasn't just from walking. We found the dining room meals just  "meh" and the buffet a total disappointment for lunches. A huge percentage of what I saw on plates at lunch was pizza, cheeseburgers, hot dogs and french fries, with usually 1 meat and 1 fish entree. We didn't go hungry, but the food was not a highlight of the trip.

The shows were entertaining, but mostly just song and dance variations from night to night. The pools and whirlpools were lovely, but very crowded even on port days. The gym was full every time we tried to go.

The departure experience was difficult. After getting off the ship ramp, USA passport holders were held back, while foreign passport holders were sent down to claim luggage and clear border control.

When we were finally allowed after  a 40 minute wait to go claim luggage, we found that our bags were not in their numbered zone, but spread out through 3 number sections. We had purchased transfers to Miami International, and had to wait until our bus filled up before heading to the airport. I wish we had taken a taxi, as we had to sit on the coach for 15 minutes  more at the airport while luggage was unloaded.

We expected some differences from our usual cruises, but we did not find the value or the pleasure and I would say I would be unlikely to cruise MSC again. 

Barb

We were on that sailing and the one after it. Sorry that was your first MSC cruise. If it were ours we probably wouldn’t cruise with them again either.
It was just too crowded. The buffet was awful and not what we experienced on other MSC cruises. The crew couldn’t keep up I felt bad for them. 
I blame it on being a holiday cruise. I hope I’m right. 

17 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

is it your first cruise? its the same on any cruise line .

GOLDENBONNIE--We have cruised over 30 times on 5 different cruise lines; I can assure you I have not experienced any other cruise that left me saying "never again". Please accept my personal opinion at face value, as I have plenty to compare my experience to.

Barb

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barb in ga said:

This was our first MSC cruise; we were in an Aurea suite with fixed window, no balcony.

Everything in your post is true. We would never have cruised MSC again had it not been for the 'experience' we selected. We were reading accounts just like yours until we came across accounts of the Yacht Club. We splurged. 

Now though we would not return to the Davina, the experience was exceptional in the YC. MSC's new ships have larger cabins, more electrical outlets, more storage, better verandas same great service. We would never attempt a cruise on MSC not situated in the YC.

We were just on the Divina over MLK weekend and had a similar experience as the OP.  While we expected a full ship (we had 4200!), we also expected they would be staffed to serve that many.  They weren't.  No plates or silverware on the buffet, running out of food, lines a mile long, no place to sit (due to tables not being bussed) if you were able to get food.  None of the flavors of gelato needed to make the shakes they advertised.  No Diet Coke!  How do you run out of Diet Coke?!?  We had good service in the dining room and the food was "ok".  We also didn't have an assigned dining room or time, but we stood in line before sail away and were given one.

We sailed on the Meraviglia 11/22 and didn't have any of these issues. Of course, the ship was only half full, so that helped.  We had a terrible dining room experience on the Meraviglia (over an hour to get our food, the wrong items came out, plus they were raw), so we ate all of our meals on buffet and enjoyed them.

Sounds like MSC is only staffed for half-full cruises.  

Edited by GreytRacer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, barb in ga said:

GOLDENBONNIE--We have cruised over 30 times on 5 different cruise lines; I can assure you I have not experienced any other cruise that left me saying "never again". Please accept my personal opinion at face value, as I have plenty to compare my experience to.

Barb

You must never have sailed from Miami before in your 30 cruises.  After one time in MIA, you would never book a shuttle like you say you die;  "We had purchased transfers to Miami International, and had to wait until our bus filled up before heading to the airport. I wish we had taken a taxi, as we had to sit on the coach for 15 minutes  more at the airport while luggage was unloaded." 

That disappointment is on you, not MSC.  All transfer services try and fill up before moving on.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GreytRacer said:

We were just on the Divina over MLK weekend and had a similar experience as the OP.  While we expected a full ship (we had 4200!), we also expected they would be staffed to serve that many.  They weren't.  No plates or silverware on the buffet, running out of food, lines a mile long, no place to sit (due to tables not being bussed) if you were able to get food.  None of the flavors of gelato needed to make the shakes they advertised.  No Diet Coke!  How do you run out of Diet Coke?!?  We had good service in the dining room and the food was "ok".  We also didn't have an assigned dining room or time, but we stood in line before sail away and were given one.

We sailed on the Meraviglia 11/22 and didn't have any of these issues. Of course, the ship was only half full, so that helped.  We had a terrible dining room experience on the Meraviglia (over an hour to get our food, the wrong items came out, plus they were raw), so we ate all of our meals on buffet and enjoyed them.

Sounds like MSC is only staffed for half-full cruises.  

Divina is in trouble. This was our experience but we were on for 14 days. 
Our third time on what I consider my favorite ship was definitely not like prior experiences. 

They are way understaffed and overworked to be selling that many cabins filled to capacity. 

I was hoping our experience was because of it being the New Year’s Eve cruise but it seems to be carrying over. 
Too many saying “one and done” “tried it, hate it” etc. on our cruise. 

If the foreign travelers continue to come here to cruise, MSC may have a chance of surviving the US market.
If they’re relying on Americans to keep them here they better change things and fast. 

We only had 10% Americans out of 3800 pax on our sailing. Not exactly what I call attracting Americans. Divina has been in the US for 10 yrs so not exactly a new ship to the US market. 

Any idea what the percentage of American pax was on your cruise?

39 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Divina is in trouble. This was our experience but we were on for 14 days. 
Our third time on what I consider my favorite ship was definitely not like prior experiences. 

They are way understaffed and overworked to be selling that many cabins filled to capacity. 

I was hoping our experience was because of it being the New Year’s Eve cruise but it seems to be carrying over. 
Too many saying “one and done” “tried it, hate it” etc. on our cruise. 

If the foreign travelers continue to come here to cruise, MSC may have a chance of surviving the US market.
If they’re relying on Americans to keep them here they better change things and fast. 

We only had 10% Americans out of 3800 pax on our sailing. Not exactly what I call attracting Americans. Divina has been in the US for 10 yrs so not exactly a new ship to the US market. 

Any idea what the percentage of American pax was on your cruise?

Not sure of the percentage of American passengers, but I will say that when we passed a family late on Day 3 of the cruise who were speaking English, we were surprised and commented on it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GreytRacer said:

Not sure of the percentage of American passengers, but I will say that when we passed a family late on Day 3 of the cruise who were speaking English, we were surprised and commented on it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Our experience exactly. 

One thing we’ve always enjoyed about cruising especially years ago when we would sit with the same people at dinner every night, was making new friends. 

Even when we’ve cruised in Europe we’ve never had a problem conversing with other passengers. 

When I get in an occupied elevator I always say good morning or good evening etc and I’ve never had it met with complete silence. Every single time. My husband would say to me “why do you keep greeting people when they’re ignoring you?” I said I’m hopeful that I’ll get a response sooner or later. 🤪 

This last cruise was a very different/strange experience.  When we came across people we could have a conversation with it was clear they were ecstatic about it as well. 

As I said we’ve traveled all over the world and have never ever met so many unfriendly and rude people as we did on this cruise. 

• Like 1

The MSC cruises out of Miami have not been that great except in 2021 when very few were aboard. The fellow passengers have been a problem. I was on Divina in November and it was similar to what you describe.  However the buffet was good, though very  crowded in the mornings. I skipped the dining room except for lunch on the last day. Service and food were quite good.

I did 14 days (10 +4) on Meraviglia out of Port Canaveral on December 1st. I only went to the dining room once but also had the blackened raw fish along with 2 other people at my table. They took our plates and after 20  minutes the waiter had not returned so i left and went to the buffet, which i found good.

I loved the crew but the last 4 days became more crowded . Still it was good until we had a woman overboard on the last morning. MSC handled the search well but getting in at 11 caused near riot conditions,  which were made worse by the idiotic cruise director continuing to call disembarkation numbers even though there was no room. It was after 1 before I got off and I was in the first group after the do it yourself group.

Personally I NEVER sail during the holidays, but find early December inexpensive and quiet.

• Like 1

I boarded the Divina on Friday (1/20) and other than some slow bar service for those at my table that drink alcohol, everything has been great. I arrived at 10:40 AM for an 11:00 AM boarding time and was at the buffet at 10:55. The food and entertainment has been good. The passenger mix seems to be 50/50 US / International. They announced the ship was full, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. I have heard 2,200 and 2,700 mentioned as the passenger count by different people. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1