What changes would you suggest?

phoenix_dream

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't go to chain's at home and don't want to when traveling. I know it comes down to a matter of branding, and I do think a Five Guys burger is must better than a mast grill one, but in general I don't want exactly the same meal I could get at home, or one whipped up by Chef Mike. 

And then there is the possibility of adding Eden, Eden Bar and Fine Cuts to S Class. Also the Sushi joint on E-Class is so much better than the rest of the Fleet.

Finally adding more suites to the Retreat as they do sell out. Expanding the S class ships for this purpose and add a larger Lumanae.

Edited by Oville

2 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Absolutely agree 100%.I know that the name of this site is Cruise Critic but honestly, it sometimes feels like no one has anything good to say. Yes, it's important to look for what can be improved but there rarely seems to be recognition of anything that is done right - or better than the competition. Balance the positive with the negative. A day at sea is better than at day at work! 

We're looking forward to our third cruise since the end of the pandemic 👏😁

Ok.  What are some improvements or benefits that have been added?  I and many others only see things being taken away.  I noticed a big difference on my last cruise with Royal (Celebrity’s Mama) in November.  The food was terrible (even in one of the specialty restaurants), less food choices and super long wait times for everything (staff shortages).  We were also charged for room service.  I was on the same ship pre pandemic and it was a big change from that cruise.  I’m hearing a lot of the same from recent X cruisers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Ok.  What are some improvements or benefits that have been added?  I and many others only see things being taken away.  I noticed a big difference on my last cruise with Royal (Celebrity’s Mama) in November.  The food was terrible (even in one of the specialty restaurants), less food choices and super long wait times for everything (staff shortages).  We were also charged for room service.  I was on the same ship pre pandemic and it was a big change from that cruise.  I’m hearing a lot of the same from recent X cruisers.

Just shut up and enjoy your cruise or don't go. 

j/k   😄    I feel your pain.   There have been a lot of not so good changes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Have you ever cruised on Celebrity and if so when?

• Like 1

The flowers are nice and I have to believe they reuse them, if not, they save the $$$. I DO want my qtips, preferrably without all the packaging. Just a small container with a couple of dozen in it. 

They have already cut back on lotion, shampoo and conditioner by using the large sizes in the shower. I don't know how to they can cut back further.

As far as the daily paper is concerned, it should be optional. Most people use the app, so they can save on paper. They already cut back on the "newspaper" a few years back. I really don't need all the advertisements, but perhaps the vendors are paying for them.

Was there a study done during covid regarding whether there was more or less waste when staff served the guests in the Buffet? 

Offer full or half portions in the MDR. Older guest simply cannot eat that much any more, but they still would like to try things. Perhaps "child" portions of the entrees AND apps etc.

This is all I can think of right now. Maybe something else will occur to me when we are on the Millie Feb 3rd. Oh, the 3rd is my birthday, I love the cake, but only make it to serve 2 OR just put a candle in whatever dessert I order.

2 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

The flowers are nice and I have to believe they reuse them, if not, they save the $$$. I DO want my qtips, preferrably without all the packaging. Just a small container with a couple of dozen in it. 

They have already cut back on lotion, shampoo and conditioner by using the large sizes in the shower. I don't know how to they can cut back further.

As far as the daily paper is concerned, it should be optional. Most people use the app, so they can save on paper. They already cut back on the "newspaper" a few years back. I really don't need all the advertisements, but perhaps the vendors are paying for them.

Was there a study done during covid regarding whether there was more or less waste when staff served the guests in the Buffet? 

Offer full or half portions in the MDR. Older guest simply cannot eat that much any more, but they still would like to try things. Perhaps "child" portions of the entrees AND apps etc.

This is all I can think of right now. Maybe something else will occur to me when we are on the Millie Feb 3rd. Oh, the 3rd is my birthday, I love the cake, but only make it to serve 2 OR just put a candle in whatever dessert I order.

You are talking peanuts, nothing that will save Celebrity from their current debt.😢

Here's one with some big potential.  It's time to eliminate the TA's and move to all on-line booking or direct sales with their own reps.  Celebrity wants to target a younger demographic and they are probably more comfortable booking a cruise from the App on their phone than working through a TA.  Spend some additional money now in marketing but the potential is huge.  Or at least perhaps it's time to drastically reduce commissions to the TAs.  I think other cruise lines will be more than happy to follow RCL's lead on this procedure.

3 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Here's one with some big potential.  It's time to eliminate the TA's and move to all on-line booking or direct sales with their own reps.  Celebrity wants to target a younger demographic and they are probably more comfortable booking a cruise from the App on their phone than working through a TA.  Spend some additional money now in marketing but the potential is huge.  Or at least perhaps it's time to drastically reduce commissions to the TAs.  I think other cruise lines will be more than happy to follow RCL's lead on this procedure.

Still peanuts in savings but you are probably right about younger people.😉

Edited by Oville

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

They have a whole office full of big bucks management that get paid to figure out what to do, let them earn their money. I don’t think the general public knows enough about the whole operation to come up with anything that would save any significant dollars. Awhile back, I suggested the start the fuel surcharge, and even start charging for luggage handling like the airlines do, but that didn’t fly because it would add cost to the cruisers. They, instead, jacked up the drink packages and internet, and that seems to be accepted. With the pandemic, and now inflation, people are more worried about the financial well being of their family than a industry that only a small portion of the world’s population can afford even if they wanted to. 

Apparently X's management doesn't know enough about the whole operation either.  Have a VALID issue with X and their customer service tells you to pound sand?  Email LLP/the Exec Team, if they feel it's valid, it'll be fixed as I've personally experienced and seen reported here on CC.  During the pandemic they went "Always Included" that has evolved/devolved several times and even the disingenuous name changed to "All Included"

It's inevitable that all fees will increase and that new fees will receive push-back.  I shared my opinion of specific reasons why your proposed fees wouldn't pull in much revenue and will summarize them yet the overall point is, why bother with the hassle of deploying $10/day $40/bag (or whatever amount) fees?  Why not simply increase the cruise fare by $40-$70/person?

It's easy to say 3000 people will bring a bag so that's $40 x 3000 = $$$ but that isn't the case at all

Baggage fees:

- Like airlines if you have status or hold a co-branded credit card you receive free baggage.

- When/how do you charge the person who did NOT pay in advance?  You'd need to hire additional staff to handle baggage fees outside of the terminal because you drop off your bags with porters outside of the terminal.  There's also the up front cost and ongoing maintenance of the hardware and software.

- Like airlines many only use checked baggage as a LAST RESORT as they'll attempt to use a FREE carryon.

-  If more people are carrying on, expect an overall more casually dressed sailing and folks arguing with Matre Ds and Guest Services.

-  For many, packing a carry-on allows you to get 7 nights, therefore potential customers may need a really good reason to booking a 8+ night sailing and being charged a fee.

-  If X charges fees and Princess (or any competitor) doesn't, many will start looking into princess.

I'll ask again, is it worth the hassle or is it better to simply increase the fare by $40-$70/person?

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

I think they don’t need to change anything. What I don’t like others will, what others don’t like I will, that’s life. If you dislike the Celebrity offering so much then cruise with another. 

I agree! We love cruising with Celebrity for a variety of reasons.

When it comes to food, this past year we’ve limited ourselves to booking Aqua cabins so we can truly enjoy “any time” dining in Blu for breakfast and dinner, while also enjoying a more healthier, higher quality meal. However, I will say we will no longer book a Sky Suite, as the “rich” food served in Luminae gives us heartburn. But then we’ve also noticed are stomachs have gotten more sensitive for some reason the older we get. So there is that. 😂

We also very much enjoy their entertainment, to include both their evening shows in the main theater as well as the various games shows conducted in various parts around the ship.

As far as price goes, Celebrity has always been a Supply and Demand cruise line, and now is no difference. However, I will also say no one (including us) was complaining about the prices when Celebrity first started back up in June 2021. The key to lower prices with Celebrity, along with Princess and NCL, is to book a desired itinerary as soon as they are released, especially if you want one of the more favored cabins such as the aft-facing Aqua cabin on one of their M-Class ships. Wait too long and the price may rise considerably. Heck, we just booked an aft-facing Aqua cabin on a Mar 2025 11-day cruise on the Constellation when it first came out. Three weeks later the price jumped $1,100 pp! Sure, the itinerary includes 3 days docked in New Orleans followed by a day in Key West, so that could have something to do with it.

However, Celebrity’s big shortfall for us is their lack of longer more unique itineraries when compared to some of those offered by Princess and on occasion by NCL (on their smaller ships) like the 38-day B2B we just completed. But when it comes to transoceanic cruises, Celebrity is definitely our goto cruise line, especially if we can make it a B2B!

And as far as their recent change to reduce the dinner offerings in the OVC, I’m sure their modified offerings will be very acceptable.

But, the bottom line is we’re quite happy with Celebrity and hope they continue doing what they do and we will adjust accordingly, just as we have done over the past 10 years we’ve cruised with them. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Really?  The commission on a recent cruise was about 14%, seems like a large chuck of money to me.

Yes, 14% AFTER they remove $125 pp and non commissionable fare, then there are all the discounts. A TA ends up getting $150 on a $4000 fare. For that they are the ones spending 90 minutes on hold to get you a reduced fare. They spend another 90 minutes getting you the discounted upgrade on your drink package. If the Military discount is missing, guess who makes that call and throws in part of the commission to you as OBC. TA's earn their money.

Oh, and most of the time the TA's know more about what is going on than the people on the phone. I love it when they tell me a reservation has to be repriced because of a cabin change in the same category. 

I know enough to ask for a supervisor or hang up and call back to get someone who actually knows something. THAT is why people use a TA. It is called customer service, of which we all know the X website has absolutely none.

Edited by Keys Kathy
add
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, miched said:

Eliminate the production shows and replace with guest entertainers

Return the Elite HH to one lounge and not be available at any other bars or give 2 drinks per day that can be used anytime.  

Eliminate the Art Auctions 

Replace the balcony furniture with comfortable reclining chairs and foot stools. 

More electrical outlets in the cabins and better lighting.  

Enforce the rules, regulations,  and codes that they have.  

Provide what is promised and don’t use supply issue as an excuse.  If it isn’t available then refund a portion of the cost 

Have a better selection of Bourbon and stock it.  

Get rid of Kelly as the designer. 

Bring back the welcome aboard Sparkling wine.   That was the first impression of Celebrity that we had and was sold as it  being the cruise line for us.  

Issue wrist bands with medallions to be used instead of cards.  No lost cards and more convenient

Just for fun.  Weight the passengers as they board and then when they  disembark.   Charge them a surcharge per pound gained.  If they lost weight give a refund.     I would wear very heavy clothes plus weigth straps boarding and very light clothing leaving. 🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I can't argue with any of that especially since my husband and I tend to lose weight on cruise. I don't know why, we just do.

I believe this thread is asking people for suggestion on how they can make cuts that don't hurt.

They can make several things "on request" Bread, butter, snacks  delivered to the room. A tote bag. Turn down service. BUT it has to made clear these items are available. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Yes, 14% AFTER they remove $125 pp and non commissionable fare, then there are all the discounts. A TA ends up getting $150 on a $4000 fare. For that they are the ones spending 90 minutes on hold to get you a reduced fare. They spend another 90 minutes getting you the discounted upgrade on your drink package. If the Military discount is missing, guess who makes that call and throws in part of the commission to you as OBC. TA's earn their money.

Not saying that the TAs don't work for the commission, but perhaps cruisers will need to start doing this for themselves or the booking software needs to improve.  Your numbers don't seem to make much sense given a lot of the incentives that some TAs kick back to the clients.  Yes, the passengers won't get the OBC from the TAs but that money is probably better spent where they need to provide incentives for certain cruises.  It's also not completely fair to the passengers that they get different deals or no deals from some TAs.  Again those funds are better spent by the cruise line where they need to offer incentives.  No need to offer incentives where the cruise sells out.

• Like 2

Quite simply:

I think everything that I don't want should be eliminated or only available for a charge.

I think everything I do want should be included or at least included for me as:

- A guest of The Retreat

- An "Elite" member

- A holder of a Premium Beverage Package

OP asked what we would be prepared to put up with in the way of any cuts that Celebrity (and other lines) definitely have to make. I asked a similar question in another thread and there were no ideas forthcoming. I've just read through all 6 pages of this thread, hoping to see some realistic and well thought out ideas.

However, unless I missed something, I don't think I've seen many suggestions! A bunch of people saying just put things back to how they were, some saying put prices up more and one post with a whole long list of additional things for Celebrity to do which would all cost them more money and not help their bottom line at all. 

Actually I did see a few people say the turn down service could be eliminated, but I'm sure I remember a thread on that from a few weeks ago which resulted in another moan-fest.  

I wouldn't care if evening turn down service was eliminated, although I'm not sure how much of a saving it would result in? If it takes let's say 100 cabin stewards to service all the cabins every morning, if they aren't doing turn down service in the late afternoon/ evening, what do they do? Its not like you can just have 50 cabin stewards instead and spread the load throughout the day, people won't be happy if their beds are left unmade until 4pm. 

Anyway, my suggestions would be:

Scrap the pillow chocolates.

Have towels replaced every 2 days instead of every day (for environmental as well as cost saving reasons).

Scrap the afternoon delivery of random, fairly awful nibble sized bites of food to concierge and aqua cabins.

Cut portion sizes where appropriate.

Improve website so you can do more things online instead of having to call in (I did see someone mentioned that, and it's a very good point).

On port intensive sailings maybe cut out a port stop, extra day at sea, take longer to get from A to B and save tens of thousands of dollars on fuel and port fees. Although the spreadsheet people in HQ will know if that would work or not based on money saved in fuel vs extra food for everyone eating lunch onboard vs extra spend of people on board on drinks etc.

I love the idea of changing the OVC into a food court type place. I recently saw a video on the NCL Prima (I think thats their latest ship) which has a fantastic looking food court type thing with various different cuisines. However, a change like that will involve weeks in dry dock and a lot of money spending.

I'd also suggest they do away with most of the shops they have on the lower decks and turn them into some other revenue generating space. The shops are empty most of the time apart from the extremely bored looking staff members unlucky enough to be stuck manning them. Again tho, that would have to be done in dry dock and would cost a chunk of change. 

Any other thoughts (apart from do nothing/go back to how it was 'in the old days')?

35 minutes ago, OysterD said:

OP asked what we would be prepared to put up with in the way of any cuts that Celebrity (and other lines) definitely have to make. I asked a similar question in another thread and there were no ideas forthcoming. I've just read through all 6 pages of this thread, hoping to see some realistic and well thought out ideas.

However, unless I missed something, I don't think I've seen many suggestions! A bunch of people saying just put things back to how they were, some saying put prices up more and one post with a whole long list of additional things for Celebrity to do which would all cost them more money and not help their bottom line at all. 

Actually I did see a few people say the turn down service could be eliminated, but I'm sure I remember a thread on that from a few weeks ago which resulted in another moan-fest.  

I wouldn't care if evening turn down service was eliminated, although I'm not sure how much of a saving it would result in? If it takes let's say 100 cabin stewards to service all the cabins every morning, if they aren't doing turn down service in the late afternoon/ evening, what do they do? Its not like you can just have 50 cabin stewards instead and spread the load throughout the day, people won't be happy if their beds are left unmade until 4pm. 

Anyway, my suggestions would be:

Scrap the pillow chocolates.

Have towels replaced every 2 days instead of every day (for environmental as well as cost saving reasons).

Scrap the afternoon delivery of random, fairly awful nibble sized bites of food to concierge and aqua cabins.

Cut portion sizes where appropriate.

Improve website so you can do more things online instead of having to call in (I did see someone mentioned that, and it's a very good point).

On port intensive sailings maybe cut out a port stop, extra day at sea, take longer to get from A to B and save tens of thousands of dollars on fuel and port fees. Although the spreadsheet people in HQ will know if that would work or not based on money saved in fuel vs extra food for everyone eating lunch onboard vs extra spend of people on board on drinks etc.

I love the idea of changing the OVC into a food court type place. I recently saw a video on the NCL Prima (I think thats their latest ship) which has a fantastic looking food court type thing with various different cuisines. However, a change like that will involve weeks in dry dock and a lot of money spending.

I'd also suggest they do away with most of the shops they have on the lower decks and turn them into some other revenue generating space. The shops are empty most of the time apart from the extremely bored looking staff members unlucky enough to be stuck manning them. Again tho, that would have to be done in dry dock and would cost a chunk of change. 

Any other thoughts (apart from do nothing/go back to how it was 'in the old days')?

I think I gave some major cost savings examples.  Just how much do you think a company in big time debt is going to save on dumping pillow chocolates?

Edited by Oville

26 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Well -- as a starting point, think about where cruise ships incur the highest operational costs, and apparently that's fuel. So the idea of cutting out a port and cruising more slowly has some merit and could save a boatload of money (pun intended). Another option would be to spend fewer actual hours in port, as port and docking fees are also hefty. They would need to be careful with this though -- too many short port days starts to be a turn-off.

It is also stated in all materials I've read (and various documentaries about the business of cruise ships) that getting passengers onboard, even at a lower cost, and then plying them with opportunities for onboard spending is the model most lines feel is most profitable. So...  cruise lines need to come up with new ideas/experiences that passengers will pay for onboard.

I don't know what that looks like, but I'd say better shore excursions (more small groups doing things like food tours with the ship's chef, etc.) are one item. Shorex are a profit center. More "deluxe" special pop-up food and wine opportunities. Finding new things to bring on board (like the spa, casino) that can bring in bucks but hasn't yet been tapped. Special entertainment opportunities with crazy-high priced tickets with "name" entertainers. 

These avoid the trap of cutting out things people like/want. You are ADDING new things; people can decide whether to consume those things or not. Many will, especially those who've been cruising for years and crave new things to do onboard...