The $2.00 bill saga.

Cruise5life

3 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Not once have I had an issue spending a $2 bill.

Meaning what, exactly? That somehow, someway since YOU haven't had an issue that means that it isn't possible that someone else has?

Or is this some sort of "Never have I ever..." game?

7 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Meaning what, exactly? That somehow, someway since YOU haven't had an issue that means that it isn't possible that someone else has?

Or is this some sort of "Never have I ever..." game?

I’ve never had an issue either.     
can I play along.     
Oh wait.  I started the game.   

and we’ll see what happens in Columbia today.     

I’ve been using 2.00 bills for maybe 20+ years of cruising and 30+ cruises. not once has someone said oh I won’t take your 2.00 bill.       
and I have 2 more weeks of cruising the Bahamas and Caribbean to do this month.   And I’ll guarantee you I have no issues at all.    

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I’ve never had an issue either.     
can I play along.     
Oh wait.  I started the game.   

and we’ll see what happens in Columbia today.     

I’ve been using 2.00 bills for maybe 20+ years of cruising and 30+ cruises. not once has someone said oh I won’t take your 2.00 bill.       
and I have 2 more weeks of cruising the Bahamas and Caribbean to do this month.   And I’ll guarantee you I have no issues at all.    

And again, you're being so myopic that you can't recognize the fact that your experience doesn't mean that someone else is guaranteed to have the same experience. The fact that you "never" has absolutely no bearing on the experience or the truth of others.

I've never caught COVID on a cruise ship. Never. Not once.

That doesn't mean that others haven't. Nor does it mean that it can't happen to someone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had issues with $2 bills in Bermuda.  Restaurant there wouldn’t accept it (tried to get rid of it paying my tab).  

Same cruise, crew member said they couldn’t cash it on board, but had to take it to the land based bank to change it.

My original question, why go out of your way to make it more difficult for foreign establishments and crew to cash what is clearly an attempt to be frivolous?  I don’t get it.

Other U.S. currency is normally accepted everywhere.  $2 bills?  Not so much!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Had issues with $2 bills in Bermuda.  Restaurant there wouldn’t accept it (tried to get rid of it paying my tab).  

Same cruise, crew member said they couldn’t cash it on board, but had to take it to the land based bank to change it.

My original question, why go out of your way to make it more difficult for foreign establishments and crew to cash what is clearly an attempt to be frivolous?  I don’t get it.

Other U.S. currency is normally accepted everywhere.  $2 bills?  Not so much!

EXACTLY.

I've also seen places that won't take $50 or $100 bills either. Doesn't mean that there aren't places that will take them. Doesn't mean that they aren't a valid form of currency. Just means that some bills are not as widely accepted as others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SeaShark said:

EXACTLY.

I've also seen places that won't take $50 or $100 bills either. Doesn't mean that there aren't places that will take them. Doesn't mean that they aren't a valid form of currency. Just means that some bills are not as widely accepted as others.

Which is why, for an upcoming cruise where we will be paying U.S. cash for a private tour in the Dominican Republic, I’m going to bring nothing larger than twenties, so as not to create any potential problem for the guide.  

As it happens, I needed to go over to our bank this morning.  While I was talking with the teller, I asked him whether he ever sees $2 bills in ordinary commerce.  He said no, sometimes teachers get them as gifts for children, but they are not in regular use and he described them as "novelties." 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clemson Tigers fans stamp em with a tiger face and tip with $2 ‘s when they travel for Bowl Games! It’s a cool 😎 tradition. I guarantee you will be remembered by bar staff if you bring em. Also if you order em from the bank in large amounts they usually com in sequential order! Be unique!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joesantos said:

Clemson Tigers fans stamp em with a tiger face and tip with $2 ‘s when they travel for Bowl Games! It’s a cool 😎 tradition. I guarantee you will be remembered by bar staff if you bring em. Also if you order em from the bank in large amounts they usually com in sequential order! Be unique!

Hence my Pick Taters All Year earlier...IPTAY. Clemson, AU with a lake.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

Money is money.

Tipping is between a man and his God.

But seriously folks, I haven't googled the deuce, but growing up in Chicago in the middle of the last century, $2 bills were considered good luck and were known as "racetrack money."  Some guys carried one around in their wallet for luck, along with a prominently displayed $20 for the traffic stop.

I never had a problem using them. I have an uncut sheet I got from the mint (?) in DC. Try spending one of those!

Edited by latserrof

This was a fun topic to explore for a few until people started getting silly.  

$2 bills are cool and it all comes down to money being money.

You GO Cruise5Life, enjoy the bills and I'm sure whoever receives them as a tip will enjoy them as well.

Happy Sails ~

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, latserrof said:

Money is money.

Tipping is between a man and his God.

But seriously folks, I haven't googled the deuce, but growing up in Chicago in the middle of the last century, $2 bills were considered good luck and were known as "racetrack money."  Some guys carried one around in their wallet for luck, along with a $20 for the traffic stop.

I never had a problem using them. I have an uncut sheet I got from the mint (?) in DC. Try spending one of those!

Ah...the "I never..." argument. Just because you "never had a problem", that means that everyone else will be the same, right?

I can honestly say that I've never known anyone who carried a $20 in their wallet for the traffic stop. Even though this statement is 100% true, does that mean that your statement about the $20 isn't?

1 minute ago, lizmit said:

This was a fun topic to explore for a few until people started getting silly.  

$2 bills are cool and it all comes down to money being money.

You GO Cruise5Life, enjoy the bills and I'm sure whoever receives them as a tip will enjoy them as well.

Happy Sails ~

So, you're going to dismiss people's opinions by judging them as "silly"? Can't you make a point without demeaning labels and name-calling?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Ah...the "I never..." argument. Just because you "never had a problem", that means that everyone else will be the same, right?

Wrong.  I never said that, or even implied that. My statement wasn't an argument. I was just relating my experience. I didn't even think to say "your results may vary."

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, latserrof said:

No, I never said that, or even implied that. My statement wasn't an argument. I was just relating my experience. I didn't even think to say "your results may vary."

Of course you implied it. Why else would you share without responding to an ask? The entire "point" here is that the "I never _____" or the "I always _____" statements are, tbh, crap. You just happened to step in it.

The whole "your results may vary" comment actually proves the point. If your results may very, then relating one's own experience becomes utterly pointless, because "your results may very". Might as well just answer "yes", "no", and "maybe" to every question. All the bases are covered and one answer is bound to be right.

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Of course you implied it. Why else would you share without responding to an ask? The entire "point" here is that the "I never _____" or the "I always _____" statements are, tbh, crap. You just happened to step in it.

The whole "your results may vary" comment actually proves the point. If your results may very, then relating one's own experience becomes utterly pointless, because "your results may very". Might as well just answer "yes", "no", and "maybe" to every question. All the bases are covered and one answer is bound to be right.

Sorry, I wasn't addressing any question or argument, right or wrong. I wasn't trying to make any point. Just sharing.

4 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

This all started with a $2 bill. That’s getting a lot of bang for your two bucks. 

It's been almost as interesting as the thread on "Free Water". Until that thread, I didn't realize how critical six bottles of "Free Water" is to the enjoyment of a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Went to Cartagena with 10.00 in 2’s.   Came back with 0 2’s.    Every vendor accepted my 2.00 bills for items I bought.      

i even got local currency in exchange.  

again.  Never have I had an issue spending my 2’s.      

80CD63DC-D7A6-41A9-BB61-578E943C9B7A.jpeg

• Like 1

Meh, use what you want to use, mileage may vary.  $2 bill my wife tried to use in Ensenada wasn't accepted.  Nor was it accepted in Cabo.  That's just our personal recent experience.  Perhaps some other local vendors would take it?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Meh, use what you want to use, mileage may vary.  $2 bill my wife tried to use in Ensenada wasn't accepted.  Nor was it accepted in Cabo.  That's just our personal recent experience.  Perhaps some other local vendors would take it?  

meh,  Was just in Cabo last week and spent a few.    
same in Puerto Vallarta , Acapulco and Guatemala.  
every port not an issue on my 15 day Panama Canal trip.   

next cruise on Sunday to Bahamas.  
will use more 2’s just because.   Lol 

and yeah.  That’s a brag comment. Lolol.   

Edited by Cruise5life
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

meh,  Was just in Cabo last week and spent a few.    
same in Puerto Vallarta , Acapulco and Guatemala.  
every port not an issue on my 15 day Panama Canal trip.   

next cruise on Sunday to Bahamas.  
will use more 2’s just because.   Lol 

and yeah.  That’s a brag comment. Lolol.   

🙄

• Haha 1