Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

34 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Are the dishes (that state as such) now back to being carved or prepared at the table (e.g. Crepes Suzette)? I recall reading that it was one of the many “because of Covid” cutbacks, some of which have become permanent. We were on Cunard last week and a la carte dishes (inc flambé’d dishes) were prepared table side. Interestingly, there was also an evening cabin service every day (in addition to the morning) which included chocolates 🤔

I had Crepes Suzette prepared table side 2 nights ago on Ventura and my husband has the jamon Pata Negra likewise.  When I commented that the same dessert had been brought ready-prepared to the table on Iona in March, the server sounded very knowledgeable in telling me that having been a Covid measure, service had been back to normal for the last 2 Iona sailings and that it was now fleet wide.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Are the dishes (that state as such) now back to being carved or prepared at the table (e.g. Crepes Suzette)? I recall reading that it was one of the many “because of Covid” cutbacks, some of which have become permanent. We were on Cunard last week and a la carte dishes (inc flambé’d dishes) were prepared table side. Interestingly, there was also an evening cabin service every day (in addition to the morning) which included chocolates 🤔

The Cunard cabin service is for all grades (I know you were Grills) which is as it has always been.  Prepared table side has not unfortunately occurred on Cunard for some time except as Grills level, certainly not on my WC in 2019 and I cannot recall it in the past 9 years.  I understand they are hoping to restart the parade of the chefs in the near future however.  The Grills have always offered the flambe dishes even when they were stopped in Britannia restaurant. 

On Britannia at Christmas the only prepared at table dish was the Dover sole, that may of course have changed.

It's not really a comparison with the Cunard Grills and Epicurean.

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The Cunard cabin service is for all grades (I know you were Grills) which is as it has always been.  Prepared table side has not unfortunately occurred on Cunard for some time except as Grills level, certainly not on my WC in 2019 and I cannot recall it in the past 9 years.  I understand they are hoping to restart the parade of the chefs in the near future however.  The Grills have always offered the flambe dishes even when they were stopped in Britannia restaurant. 

On Britannia at Christmas the only prepared at table dish was the Dover sole, that may of course have changed.

It's not really a comparison with the Cunard Grills and Epicurean.

My comments weren’t related to MDRs on either line. I was simply trying to establish if flambé dishes had returned in Epicurean and, if not, whether the excuse for its continued absence made any sense. 

15 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I had Crepes Suzette prepared table side 2 nights ago on Ventura and my husband has the jamon Pata Negra likewise.  When I commented that the same dessert had been brought ready-prepared to the table on Iona in March, the server sounded very knowledgeable in telling me that having been a Covid measure, service had been back to normal for the last 2 Iona sailings and that it was now fleet wide.

That’s excellent news. Many thanks for confirming. Stopping it under the excuse of it being a Covid measure was laughable. At least those tenuous excuses can’t be used any longer!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

My comments weren’t related to MDRs on either line. I was simply trying to establish if flambé dishes had returned in Epicurean and, if not, whether the excuse for its continued absence made any sense. 

Sorry if I misunderstood.  I was pointing out that because of supposed health and safety issues Cunard along with most other lines stopped flambe for the majority of guests a long time ago.  The Grills I believe never had it stopped at any point.

Epicurean on my past five Britannia cruises before and after covid offered not so much a flambe as a blowtorch experience.  Certainly my last three Britannia cruises everything was plated apart from the Dover sole.  On Azura, however, until covid all menu items referred to as flambe or prepared table side continued to be as described in preparation at your table.

Interestingly ion MSC Divina they still had a Baked Alaska parade last time I sailed on her.  

Edited by Megabear2

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry if I misunderstood.  I was pointing out that because of supposed health and safety issues Cunard along with most other lines stopped flambe for the majority of guests a long time ago.  The Grills I believe never had it stopped at any point.

Epicurean on my past five Britannia cruises before and after covid offered not so much a flambe as a blowtorch experience.  Certainly my last three Britannia cruises everything was plated apart from the Dover sole.  On Azura, however, until covid all menu items referred to as flambe or prepared table side continued to be as described in preparation at your table.

Interestingly ion MSC Divina they still had a Baked Alaska parade last time I sailed on her.  

Interesting. We haven’t been on Britannia since 2017, but on all 3 previous cruises on her the crepes Suzette in Epicurean were flambé’d table side in exactly the same way as they were in Princess Grill last week. We are on Britannia in July, so will see if Epicurean is still as good as we remember it. I hope, so as we intend to use it quite a bit over our 14 nights!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brian1 said:

When we sailed Cunard Club,we got the daily choice of the MD setting our desserts alight.

Hopefully not all of them Brian? 😂 Good to hear though, as we are trying Club next year. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hopefully not all of them Brian? 😂 Good to hear though, as we are trying Club next year. 

LOL, it was a compromise with a slightly enhanced menu and dedicated table, waiter and assistant at all 3 meals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

When we sailed Cunard Club,we got the daily choice of the MD setting our desserts alight.

Yes, Club as well has an extended menu which offers different dishes.  I've only tried it once on QM2 and the cabin is basically identical to the balcony cabins. I did not find it good value for the several thousand pounds more than Britannia. The "new" Deck 13 Club cabins may be different but they are notorious for noise issues and being forward a long way from the public areas. The Club restaurant on QM2 was an add on and extended when they realised the popularity.  The main reason they they were originally popular was the free time dining.

The Club cabins on Elizabeth are different and were planned. I've never tried Victoria's.  Queen Anne's look a better option but again the price differential is very high.

• Like 1

We were on QE,it was a worldie segment from Singapore to Cape Town with a SA landtour and flights inc.I didn't get the breakdown of our Club price but our cabin was just next door to a Princess Grill cabin which was a bit longer but otherwise the same.The Club DR seemed so intimate and we got to know everyone when walking thru every day even though we had a 2top.Our waiters were great and had all our preferences waiting for us especially at breakfast.A compromise for us pricewise but a great experience for a once in a lifetime package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, Club as well has an extended menu which offers different dishes.  I've only tried it once on QM2 and the cabin is basically identical to the balcony cabins. I did not find it good value for the several thousand pounds more than Britannia. The "new" Deck 13 Club cabins may be different but they are notorious for noise issues and being forward a long way from the public areas. The Club restaurant on QM2 was an add on and extended when they realised the popularity.  The main reason they they were originally popular was the free time dining.

The Club cabins on Elizabeth are different and were planned. I've never tried Victoria's.  Queen Anne's look a better option but again the price differential is very high.

We checked out Britannia Club on QM2 last week and didn’t like the location. Basically just one end of the MDR. On the other ships it’s a separate dining room altogether. I agree that the price premium can be horrendous on

some cruises, but we’ve got it for £1k more than Britannia for a 14 night cruise on Queen Anne next year and whilst the cabin is the same size as Britannia cabins ours is located by the grills suites on a good deck. We were happy to pay that premium just for the dining benefits, but we noticed last week that the additional cabin enhancements etc are virtually identical to those in Princess Grill cabins, the only notable difference being the better Grill restaurant. It’s a shame that P&O don’t have a similar thing, although maybe that conflicts with their new strategy. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We checked out Britannia Club on QM2 last week and didn’t like the location. Basically just one end of the MDR. On the other ships it’s a separate dining room altogether. I agree that the price premium can be horrendous on

some cruises, but we’ve got it for £1k more than Britannia for a 14 night cruise on Queen Anne next year and whilst the cabin is the same size as Britannia cabins ours is located by the grills suites on a good deck. We were happy to pay that premium just for the dining benefits, but we noticed last week that the additional cabin enhancements etc are virtually identical to those in Princess Grill cabins, the only notable difference being the better Grill restaurant. It’s a shame that P&O don’t have a similar thing, although maybe that conflicts with their new strategy. 

I do not believe P&O passengers would want to pay the difference in price. QA will be interesting as there are several pay extra dining venues planned. 

My QA booking for the 30/6/2024 currently from £6458 for Cunard balcony fare with $500obc compared to £8098 Club with $600obc.   A Princess Grill would be £11998 with $800 obc. Compares  very favourably with Arcadia 25 June 2024 (has 2 extra days) at £5998 for select balcony with £440obc. The mini suite would be £10298 with £480 and full suite £11598 with £520 obc. 

Really no comparison in quality so Cunard so a no brainer.  Therefore unless the ship and service were massively upgraded I doubt anyone would want a "half way house" on P&O?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

7 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

On Britannia in September we were told it was due to Covid.

On Arvia in January, on our first night we were told it was due to Covid; on the second night we were told they didn't have any propane.

On this last trip on Arvia we were told there is a training need, and it will be back soon.

And, as if to rub it in, near to our table on the second night there was a brand spanking new trolley, never used.🙄

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TigerB said:

On Arvia in January, on our first night we were told it was due to Covid; on the second night we were told they didn't have any propane.

On this last trip on Arvia we were told there is a training need, and it will be back soon.

And, as if to rub it in, near to our table on the second night there was a brand spanking new trolley, never used.🙄

LOL,how ironic,a ship that runs on gas aint got enough to set your cherries alight.

• Haha 10

54 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I’m surprised that someone in Carnival House hasn’t come up with a new line to cover for cutbacks or staff shortages, now that they can’t use the “because of Covid” excuse any longer 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m surprised that someone in Carnival House hasn’t come up with a new line to cover for cutbacks or staff shortages, now that they can’t use the “because of Covid” excuse any longer 😂 

When the pandemic truck I did fear for the supply of propane canisters to flambé our 🍒.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

It’s really odd - they make  every attempt to avoid mentioning Covid infections on their ships, whilst simultaneously blaming changes/shortages/problems on Covid! 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, TigerB said:

This is Menu 1:

Screenshot_2023-05-09-23-03-22-6852.thumb.jpeg.0657c017745ef333011ca3fa174452de.jpegScreenshot_2023-05-09-23-03-59-1052.thumb.jpeg.f194df7913c10f07b023fc7c241ff6c7.jpegScreenshot_2023-05-09-23-04-38-9632.thumb.jpeg.e3ce7f3bd8bbaaca1aa9221ab6630872.jpegScreenshot_2023-05-09-23-05-09-6482.thumb.jpeg.ef64dde436ac17f53852679b05103708.jpeg

Photos of Menu 2 are in this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2931167-arvia-k308-all-aboard/page/6/#comment-65255328

I'm sure they'll be the same when you are on at the end of the month

Seeing menus isnt a problem knowing what menu is on what night prior to the cruise is the problem when you book pre cruise

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Seeing menus isnt a problem knowing what menu is on what night prior to the cruise is the problem when you book pre cruise

Having done a 14 night Iona cruise where Epicurean switched from menu 1 to 2 half way, and on my current 10 night Ventura cruise they are switching from menu 1 to 2 tomorrow, ie after 5 nights, so half way again. I wouldn’t be surprised if this were the regular pattern but I don’t actually know for sure.

Just been looking at the "Dining" section in "My Cruises" on the website. It says there that Afternoon Tea in the mdr is available "once a week on a sea day", so it seems they are limiting this activity now. Of course, as it is on the website, it is anyone's guess if it is correct...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

LOL,how ironic,a ship that runs on gas aint got enough to set your cherries alight.

Only a few months ago my local garden centre had a sign up saying there was a shortage of propane gas and they could only do exchanges and not new sales, 

7 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Only a few months ago my local garden centre had a sign up saying there was a shortage of propane gas and they could only do exchanges and not new sales, 

All I can say is,as a heating fitter/plumber, I'm glad I retired.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Britboys said:

Just been looking at the "Dining" section in "My Cruises" on the website. It says there that Afternoon Tea in the mdr is available "once a week on a sea day", so it seems they are limiting this activity now. Of course, as it is on the website, it is anyone's guess if it is correct...

Depends on the ship afternoon tea is no longer done in MDR on Iona or Arvia.

• Thanks 1