Arvia K308 - All aboard

TigerB

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Seriously though, it really isn’t in P&O’s interest to maintain the previously high standards of the MDR when all that’s going to do is reduce the numbers paying a supplement to eat elsewhere. Tricky balancing act for them.

Which they seem to be getting right, if the current cruise on Arvia is representative of the new norm.  We are used to seeing the speciality restaurants on P&O ships largely empty most nights, but that is absolutely not the case on here.  The venues are much bigger and they seem to be pretty much packed all evening.  We've not eaten in a MDR yet in our 6 nights on board and I don't think we will for the remaining 8 nights.  The food is excellent, in both quality and quantity, so far.  Sindhu last night was fantastic, as was the Beach House a couple of nights ago.  6th Street Diner was perfectly good, although I'm not sure we'll be rushing back there as there are so many better options.  The Olive Grove (all free of charge, unlike Iona when we were on her last year) is also brilliant, especially the tuna steak and the lasagne.

The only fail so far was on the formal night, when they advertised in the Horizon and on the screens around the ship that the MDR menu would be served in the two MDRs and in 6th Street Diner and Olive Grove.  We went to 6th St because the virtual queues for the MDRs were 100+ each at about 1930.  Staff there knew nothing about serving the celebration menu.  So we upped sticks and went to the Keel and Cow (no wait) and had first class (non celebration menu) food there instead.  All in all, we've eaten like royalty (as I'm sure the scales will demonstrate when we get home!).  Certainly on a par, in my opinion, with any of the cruise lines mentioned above, all of which we've cruised with and Princess (Club Class - MDR food with much better service, as mentioned above), Celebrity (Luminae - very disappointing) and MSC (Yacht Club - excellent) which we've been with post-Covid.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m not going to bang on about the high end restaurants we may, or may not, have dined at, but I will make special mention of the Regency Cafe in Pimlico. Way out there on its own, as featured in Layer Cake etc!...

I used to work on Horseferry Road and the Regency was great value for lunch. Only trouble was that the food always had a nasty taste - probably due to all the family who owned it being Tott**ham Hot***s fans....

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I used to work on Horseferry Road and the Regency was great value for lunch. Only trouble was that the food always had a nasty taste - probably due to all the family who owned it being Tott**ham Hot***s fans....

As a Tractor Boy, I wasn’t too bothered. At least, not for some years! Good food at a good price though, complete with unique floorshow. Always a good sign if cabbies eat there. I’d put it up there with Katz’s Deli in New York.

• Like 2

We can argue all day long about food and restaurants on cruise ships because food is a very personal opinion and what one person thinks is fantastic another might not. It doesn't mean one is better than the other just that we all have differing tastes.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bill Y said:

Unfortunately you are correct. They even baked this in when allocating MDR space on Arvia. The old criteria of every passenger must the catered for in a MDR is going.

But many passengers are choosing to not have MDR 

People arent being forced to have speciality or buffet or Quays. They are choosing to

Having the choice is great I think

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Which they seem to be getting right, if the current cruise on Arvia is representative of the new norm.  We are used to seeing the speciality restaurants on P&O ships largely empty most nights, but that is absolutely not the case on here.  The venues are much bigger and they seem to be pretty much packed all evening.  We've not eaten in a MDR yet in our 6 nights on board and I don't think we will for the remaining 8 nights.  The food is excellent, in both quality and quantity, so far.  Sindhu last night was fantastic, as was the Beach House a couple of nights ago.  6th Street Diner was perfectly good, although I'm not sure we'll be rushing back there as there are so many better options.  The Olive Grove (all free of charge, unlike Iona when we were on her last year) is also brilliant, especially the tuna steak and the lasagne.

The only fail so far was on the formal night, when they advertised in the Horizon and on the screens around the ship that the MDR menu would be served in the two MDRs and in 6th Street Diner and Olive Grove.  We went to 6th St because the virtual queues for the MDRs were 100+ each at about 1930.  Staff there knew nothing about serving the celebration menu.  So we upped sticks and went to the Keel and Cow (no wait) and had first class (non celebration menu) food there instead.  All in all, we've eaten like royalty (as I'm sure the scales will demonstrate when we get home!).  Certainly on a par, in my opinion, with any of the cruise lines mentioned above, all of which we've cruised with and Princess (Club Class - MDR food with much better service, as mentioned above), Celebrity (Luminae - very disappointing) and MSC (Yacht Club - excellent) which we've been with post-Covid.

Like you we don't see the appeal of MDR compared to the other options. We like the choice and variety

If we were In a hotel in a holiday resort we would try to explore lots of different restaurants

The best all inclusive hotels in the world all have multiple speciality restaurants nowadays

They don't expect you to dine in the same place 14 nights in a row

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

People arent being forced to have speciality or buffet or Quays. They are choosing to

That's  apparently not the case on every cruise though!  Seems to be a cunning plan ...

• Like 1

It is a very good way to sell cruises, surely - a cheap basic price, but then less than marvellous food unless you pay more, often each evening for people who like really good meals.  I think it is known as 'bums on seats'.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, TigerB said:

Wednesday night was the first formal night, and we chose to eat at Chef's Table for the first sitting - 18:00. I put to the back of my mind all the comments on these boards about it, both for and against, and went in with an open mind.

So here's my review and verdict:

When we came out of the lift (midship) on deck 16, there was a queue of folk stretching back through the double doors to the Sky Dome area. It was spread out as such that it was awkward for my wife to manoeuvre her wheelchair. Luckily, a couple allowed us into the queue ahead of them.
We were greeted by the restaurant host about fifteen feet from where the Beach House desk is sited. Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that when they started it was only using the Beach House part of Horizon. It appears that they are also using part of the port side too; from what I could tell, folk that wanted to share tables were being directed to that side.
After verifying that we wanted a private table, we were taken in and shown to a bank of three tables for two, with a gap of less than two inches between the tables. So, it would have just been like sharing a table for six. We refused it.  Even if we did want to sit there, it was no good for my wife's wheelchair, as whoever sat next to her wouldn't have much room. We were redirected to a more suitable table, which had at least two feet between it and the two tables for four either side.

Our waiter took our food order and suggested that we may wish to order dessert, to speed things along. It was about five minutes before the wine waiter came to us.
I seem to recall that a lot of complaints on these boards concerned the slow service and food not being very hot, due in the main to very few staff. They appear to have rectified that by drafting in loads of staff, and the service of food was very quick, lightning quick in fact. It's a pity the drinks service didn't match it. Our two glasses of wine arrived after our main courses had been placed on the table. The table next to us had their free fizz, and it arrived after they had finished their main courses. Now, one of the things about the menu is that each course has a wine pairing. If you followed that for every course, you would be having your main course wine with your coffee.
The food: no different to what we have had on celebration nights in the MDR. There may have been a couple of tweeks, but I didn't have a look at the MDR menu earlier, so couldn't say what they were. 

The ambience: it didn't feel like we were eating in the Horizon/Beach House other than being able to see the servery, where all the food was being played up, from our table. There were certainly no 'buffet interlopers' walking through. But sadly, despite the tables being well dressed, the whole experience had a canteen feel to it, and it felt very rushed. In part, it felt a bit like one of those work Christmas meals at a venue that seats about a hundred folk; when the meal service starts, a load of waiters descend like locusts to get everyone fed before the cabaret starts. And before you know it, you've filled your belly without having a chance to savour the flavours.
Another by-product of the rushed service is, unlike when you are in the MDR with your familiar waiting team and have no problem asking for an extra portion, it just didn't feel like that was appropriate.

IMG_20230419_1821377772.thumb.jpg.0425ddcbea4af07242c50d1fd35622aa.jpgIMG_20230419_1802133772.thumb.jpg.c5916958832755f63eb850819fb3e0c5.jpg

IMG_20230419_1835405802.thumb.jpg.fbd3da6982ac2f7d6b9d5d3de9da5acf.jpgIMG_20230419_1802263712.thumb.jpg.1be07fd55d82978688fb0e83d748ab1d.jpg

IMG_20230419_1802311962.thumb.jpg.bcd2339b7c6bfe9a2baf917386cd14f1.jpgIMG_20230419_1835357822.thumb.jpg.1aa3cf265c2f662b1f023dd7e9f3460f.jpg

IMG_20230419_1854023562.thumb.jpg.e8149b18844f0400ec544b71791cb0e8.jpgIMG_20230419_1802515432.thumb.jpg.191fd0cb2e1bd8a0f68eca028db776f9.jpg

Verdict: seen it, done it, (not) bought the t-shirt...... definitely won't do it again.

Pretty much sums up our experience that evening.  Like you we were shown to a "6" table when we had booked a two top. The Ole Lady like wise declined it and we suggested a nearby proper table for two, which was agreed.  

Enjoyed the meal, though hardly any lobster in the lobster/prawn thing. Only 2 king prawns as well. Day before, got six king prawns in the po boy for lunch in the 6 th St diner 

The Ole Lady enjoyed the beef Wellington 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Pretty much sums up our experience that evening.  Like you we were shown to a "6" table when we had booked a two top. The Ole Lady like wise declined it and we suggested a nearby proper table for two, which was agreed.  

Enjoyed the meal, though hardly any lobster in the lobster/prawn thing. Only 2 king prawns as well. Day before, got six king prawns in the po boy for lunch in the 6 th St diner 

The Ole Lady enjoyed the beef Wellington 

Our lass enjoyed the beef wellington, too.  I agree you totally about the lobster pastry doodah; if we were in the Zenith I would have asked the lads for another two of those.😄🐷

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:39 PM, Selbourne said:

Extremely useful review. Many thanks. It doesn’t remotely appeal to me but your comments have confirmed that we will have the celebration dinner in one of the MDRs

Yes, Selbourne; never again for us. Once bitten, twice shy as they say

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 6:02 PM, Selbourne said:

Those photos remind me why Epicurean on Britannia is our favourite restaurant at sea. Pleased to hear that it’s as good on Arvia. I could happily eat in there every night!

We've eaten a few times in there whilst on Britannia, and the only discernable difference between our last time on Britannia in September and the three meals we've had so far over two cruises on Arvia is the price increase.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 2:23 PM, cruising.mark.uk said:

We're planning to eat at Keel & Cow tonight; our lass has been looking forward to that for a while. There were a few things I fancied when I looked at the menu the other day, but I think it is changeover day today; so, we'll see.

We've just about given up on trying to get into Olive Grove; I like the sound of the tuna steak but fear that they will now be starting on the other menu, the one we had on the last cruise and didn't like.

Last night was the first time we managed to get in either of the MDRs; instead of waiting until the virtual queue opened at 18:30, we went down at 17:55; we got seated almost immediately.  We'll try that again, but it wouldn't bother us at all if we didn't get in at all; the menus appear to be the same as January and, with there just being the two of us to please, we're happy with using the speciality restaurants.  The only firm reservation for dinner we have in Zenith is for the next formal night.

2 minutes ago, TigerB said:

We're planning to eat at Keel & Cow tonight; our lass has been looking forward to that for a while. There were a few things I fancied when I looked at the menu the other day, but I think it is changeover day today; so, we'll see.

We've just about given up on trying to get into Olive Grove; I like the sound of the tuna steak but fear that they will now be starting on the other menu, the one we had on the last cruise and didn't like.

The Pork Belly in Keel & Cow was fantastic!  

Either you have been unlucky with OG, or we have been lucky.  We've now been three times - on each we joined the virtual queue at about 1900, with somewhere between 20 and 50 in the queue.  One time we were called after about 15 minutes, the other 2 it took half an hour or so.  You are right about the menu - we were in there last night and they told us on the way out that it does change over today and gave us a sneak preview (the lady on the desk seems to have adopted us as 'regulars' lol).  The lamb shank on the new menu caught my eye.  I suspect we'll go at least twice in the time left on the cruise - we've thoroughly enjoyed everything we've eaten there so far.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TigerB said:

We've eaten a few times in there whilst on Britannia, and the only discernable difference between our last time on Britannia in September and the three meals we've had so far over two cruises on Arvia is the price increase.

We're in Epicurean tomorrow (Barcelona).  Do you have any particular recommendations for what they do especially well?  Thanks, in advance.

3 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

We're in Epicurean tomorrow (Barcelona).  Do you have any particular recommendations for what they do especially well?  Thanks, in advance.

We're back in there on the second Barcelona day.

To be honest, they do everything well in there.

The menu will have changed when you dine in there; the🦞 will be on that one. But beware, you will make a mess of your table cloth; or maybe that's just us!🤭

'The menu will have changed when you dine in there; the🦞 will be on that one. But beware, you will make a mess of your table cloth; or maybe that's just us!🤭'

Adopt a pincer movement .....no problem.😄

All the food  photos you have shared look great thanks.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I've checked my phone from January and this is the current menu:

IMG_20230119_1955444572.thumb.jpg.bae839b3892159645f713c5d386f9c1c.jpgIMG_20230119_1955479792.thumb.jpg.f28443bc413129f509942249d3286c4f.jpg

IMG_20230423_172049889_HDR2.thumb.jpg.85b421d1114926163752ebb2589d39f4.jpgIMG_20230119_1956003762.thumb.jpg.0067f14c46b285ce94dddd43f3f7efc5.jpg

IMG_20230119_1956047702.thumb.jpg.b38ed219fd65a261ba0644b614410be7.jpg

IMG_20230119_1955324022.thumb.jpg.b0c532ac2c8c3d65148fb0bbb66bbf86.jpgIMG_20230119_1955371592.thumb.jpg.985662b9612d9244c4b88b156b61adcc.jpg

I'll probably plump for the salmon duo (again), and the Dover sole.  I'll toss a coin for dessert; I'd have any of them 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are from Glass House the other night...

IMG_20230417_193934265_HDR2.thumb.jpg.35f49a536e1e09c8631a62974f215e6a.jpgIMG_20230417_1908442892.thumb.jpg.998f5b02c593938953296ff93100ab22.jpgIMG_20230417_193944002_HDR2.thumb.jpg.c227ed13cd4a0fcf0a87914d5857bc7f.jpgIMG_20230417_1908399502.thumb.jpg.d46cfe385fe9e2fcf03d62f78c7db7f8.jpgIMG_20230417_193940940_HDR2.thumb.jpg.b9b9b9ac0e535bb52a238dc04f5a1639.jpgIMG_20230417_1908371272.thumb.jpg.1ce19500089ef806780d911134cd5ed3.jpgIMG_20230417_193938629_HDR2.thumb.jpg.5aaeac88643c899864e0a0ab73cede51.jpg

IMG_20230417_1909020962.thumb.jpg.e2f5336d679de0ac9772acdafa9ca5d5.jpgIMG_20230417_200305717_HDR2.thumb.jpg.cf4178bd016c6314b02b1590933e1d22.jpg

IMG_20230417_1908519752.thumb.jpg.3c9825b7a1c403239c8d42a789b5fcf0.jpgIMG_20230417_200316394_HDR2.thumb.jpg.f8b6c12d58d59d260e346795c511a3f0.jpg

We didn't have dessert.

To be honest, we weren't as keen as we were when we last dined here, on Britannia in September. I'm quite certain that the mains then we're one dish rather than a trio.

4 minutes ago, TigerB said:

These are from Glass House the other night...

IMG_20230417_193934265_HDR2.thumb.jpg.35f49a536e1e09c8631a62974f215e6a.jpgIMG_20230417_1908442892.thumb.jpg.998f5b02c593938953296ff93100ab22.jpgIMG_20230417_193944002_HDR2.thumb.jpg.c227ed13cd4a0fcf0a87914d5857bc7f.jpgIMG_20230417_1908399502.thumb.jpg.d46cfe385fe9e2fcf03d62f78c7db7f8.jpgIMG_20230417_193940940_HDR2.thumb.jpg.b9b9b9ac0e535bb52a238dc04f5a1639.jpgIMG_20230417_1908371272.thumb.jpg.1ce19500089ef806780d911134cd5ed3.jpgIMG_20230417_193938629_HDR2.thumb.jpg.5aaeac88643c899864e0a0ab73cede51.jpg

IMG_20230417_1909020962.thumb.jpg.e2f5336d679de0ac9772acdafa9ca5d5.jpgIMG_20230417_200305717_HDR2.thumb.jpg.cf4178bd016c6314b02b1590933e1d22.jpg

IMG_20230417_1908519752.thumb.jpg.3c9825b7a1c403239c8d42a789b5fcf0.jpgIMG_20230417_200316394_HDR2.thumb.jpg.f8b6c12d58d59d260e346795c511a3f0.jpg

We didn't have dessert.

To be honest, we weren't as keen as we were when we last dined here, on Britannia in September. I'm quite certain that the mains then we're one dish rather than a trio.

You could have large plates or trip of dishes in Glass House on Iona in March.

• Like 1