Lobster Tails

bigque

We are leaving on Odyssey for 6 nights Saturday, and last week there were tails on the dinner menu one night.  I looked today, and they are gone off the menu, but there is an option to purchase a main tail.

On Anthem last week we received the smaller Caribbean tails as well. Getting 2 was not a problem. I asked MDR manager who comes around the table each night about the transission to the larger Maine tails. He hadn't heard about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sdear said:

We are leaving on Odyssey for 6 nights Saturday, and last week there were tails on the dinner menu one night.  I looked today, and they are gone off the menu, but there is an option to purchase a main tail.

I wish they would serve spiny lobster instead of maine lobster.  In my opinion they taste better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling  they are only serving lobster (free one) on 7 night cruises  or longer. 

Could be that menu has not been updated.  The upcharge for the lobster is standard on each night's menu as is the filet mignon.

Edited by nelblu

Just got off a 10 day Caribbean cruise on Monday on the Vision and was served 2 large and very tasty lobster tails for free on the Dress up to Impress night.  Very satisfied with that.  I think it was Maine lobster…it certainly was larger than any others I’ve had on board in the past.  No upcharge.  However I did notice on the menu every night a price of I think $29.99 if you wanted to purchase lobster.

16 hours ago, poocher said:

$16.99.  Serving cold water Maine lobster tails now.

From the RCL blog I heard that Royal is required to purchase lobsters from an MSC (Marine Stewardship council) member.  So the lobsters are actually Canadian lobsters.  

17 minutes ago, Northbay said:

Just got off a 10 day Caribbean cruise on Monday on the Vision and was served 2 large and very tasty lobster tails for free on the Dress up to Impress night.  Very satisfied with that.  I think it was Maine lobster…it certainly was larger than any others I’ve had on board in the past.  No upcharge.  However I did notice on the menu every night a price of I think $29.99 if you wanted to purchase lobster.

I believe you may be under the old menus as a whole lobster was $29.99 + grats.  New menu the lobster tail upcharge is $16.99 + grats.

We’re on Wonder ots right now. I purchased the Maine lobster 2 nights ago. It was huge snd delicious. Tomorrow is lobster night so same thing at no extra charge (second tail costs $16.99). But I do think spiny lobster is sweeter.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

We’re on Wonder ots right now. I purchased the Maine lobster 2 nights ago. It was huge snd delicious. Tomorrow is lobster night so same thing at no extra charge (second tail costs $16.99). But I do think spiny lobster is sweeter.

I'd be interested in hearing your review of the Lobster night. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magicat said:

From the RCL blog I heard that Royal is required to purchase lobsters from an MSC (Marine Stewardship council) member.  So the lobsters are actually Canadian lobsters.  

Yeah Canadian lobsters are just Maine lobsters that migrated 😄😄

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Well,  I hope the first Lobster Tail is larger than my..............thumb.  Which, from my experience are no larger than my............thumb.  And only half of a tail at that.  

The normal state thumb or when it gets excited?

• Haha 1

We were on Harmony last week and they had Carib lobsters and the waiter brought out as many as we wanted. They were awfully small so it was good we had more available.

I found the menu's lacking, I know they are going to change this week.

12 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

On Anthem last week we received the smaller Caribbean tails as well. Getting 2 was not a problem. I asked MDR manager who comes around the table each night about the transission to the larger Maine tails. He hadn't heard about it.

Go figure, The Kitchen on board their ships are the last to know about changes. That way it makes them look dumb when passengers know  about the change before them.  Why do the higher ups at Royal put the employees in that position.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

FYI: The title of “MDR manager who comes around the table each night” is  “Head Waiter.”  You are, of course, served by a waiter and assist waiter.

3 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

FYI: The title of “MDR manager who comes around the table each night” is  “Head Waiter.”  You are, of course, served by a waiter and assist waiter.

LOL, I just call him/her the maitre d'.

10 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Sure - if that makes a difference to the context of this thread.