money concerns

In Australia, you can use credit or debit cards for practically everything, even very small amounts of money.  The vendors may charge 1 - 2% for using them, but often there is no charge.  If your credit card charges for foreign exchange transactions, you might find there is a 3% or more charge added, or worse, a flat fee like $5 for each transaction. Check their Terms and Conditions for foreign exchange. It will be hidden in there somewhere.  In that case, you'd be better off getting some Australian dollars when you arrive and using it for the smaller purchases.   Our banknotes are very pretty - some people take them home as souvenirs. Taxis in Australia do accept credit cards, but there is a surcharge.

Ask on the NZ forum for details on their currency.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GeroWA said:

Credit Cards are accepted almost everywhere for almost everything so you won't have any worries using them..

The cards are also tap and go. I use my Visa for everything. The last time I had to sign for a purchase was somewhere in Arizona in 2016.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Note that some cards like American Express and Diners club are not as widely accepted 

4% card charge on Amex, probably Diners Card too. Probably why many merchants will not accept them.

ANZ Visa Debit Card all the way for me. Only card I have these days. Universally accepted.

Edited by NSWP

I just want to add that you need to make sure you have a pin set on your card and that the card has a chip inside.  I am not sure how credit cards are used in the US now but a few years ago I think I recall that pins were not common and that people generally signed.  In Australia (and I think NZ) if you want to make purchases over a certain amount (often $200 but could be less) you need to enter a pin.  Signatures are not commonly used here.  

Another thing - in Australia, you usually advise your bank which issued the card that you are travelling overseas and which countries and dates so that the fraud detection doesn't stop use of the card.  

Here is an article that might be helpful https://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/11/using-credit-cards-in-other-countries.asp

Edited by lucymorgan

I use Citibank Visa card and Capital One Visa card for all my international travels.  Both cards have chips.  I use both cards as credit card and not debit card.  I do not have pin for both cards and never been asked to put in pin number when I used the cards.

So, to use those cards in Australia and NZ, I need to call my bank and find out if I can set pin numbers on those cards? 

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

So, to use those cards in Australia and NZ, I need to call my bank and find out if I can set pin numbers on those cards? 

Yes, I would definitely get set up with a PIN before you leave home. Usually transactions over $200 will require a PIN. Sometimes lower, occasionally higher. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I use Citibank Visa card and Capital One Visa card for all my international travels.  Both cards have chips.  I use both cards as credit card and not debit card.  I do not have pin for both cards and never been asked to put in pin number when I used the cards.

That is interesting that you don't need a pin to use your credit cards in the USA.  Is that for every amount, with no limit?

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

That is interesting that you don't need a pin to use your credit cards in the USA.  Is that for every amount, with no limit?

I don't have PIN on my any of my credit cards and never been asked.  I used my credit cards for all my purchases in 70+ countries that I visited and never had problems. After reading prior posts that I need PIN in Australia and NZ, I called Citi bank and Capital One, and both banks told me if I plan to do Cash Advance on my credit cards, then I need to request PIN, otherwise, I do not need PIN.  If I use PIN, it will be consider as cash advance.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't know if there is a limit.  The most I ever charged for one transaction was around $10,000 for Princess cruise, and were never asked for PIN.

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I don't have PIN on my any of my credit cards and never been asked.  I used my credit cards for all my purchases in 70+ countries that I visited and never had problems. After reading prior posts that I need PIN in Australia and NZ, I called Citi bank and Capital One, and both banks told me if I plan to do Cash Advance on my credit cards, then I need to request PIN, otherwise, I do not need PIN.  If I use PIN, it will be consider as cash advance.

Do you just tap and go or do you have to sign each time you use your card?

Just now, possum52 said:

Do you just tap and go or do you have to sign each time you use your card?

It depends on the merchants.  For major shops, for example, Costco, large chain dept stores/pharmacy/supermarkets, I only need to tap.  Smaller shops/restaurants, might need to tap and sign. 

Did several cruises last year in the Mediterranean and Mexico, and used both cards with no problems. 

As an example, in Australia in costco - you can just tap and go for under $200 but for over $200 you need to enter a pin.   To be safe, perhaps make sure you have a pin and only use it if necessary.  It would be worthwhile for others to know if you actually need to use it 🙂 

Edited by lucymorgan

2 minutes ago, lucymorgan said:

As an example, in Australia in costco - you can just tap and go for under $200 but for over $200 you need to enter a pin.   To be safe, perhaps make sure you have a pin and only use it if necessary.  It would be worthwhile for others to know if you actually need to use it 🙂 

Earlier, I called Citi bank and Capital One, both banks told me if I plan to do Cash Advance on my credit cards, then I need to request PIN, otherwise, I do not need PIN.  If I use PIN, it will be consider as cash advance and not a credit card purchase.  I definitely do not want cash advance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Earlier, I called Citi bank and Capital One, both banks told me if I plan to do Cash Advance on my credit cards, then I need to request PIN, otherwise, I do not need PIN.  If I use PIN, it will be consider as cash advance and not a credit card purchase.  I definitely do not want cash advance.

I understand - I am suggesting that you have a pin anyway for emergencies but only use it if you need to.  I guess the issue may be that if you have a pin the terminal may want you to use it.  Could you take one card with a pin and one without?  I usually take at least two cards overseas in case one has a problem.  

An example may be checking into a hotel: I am almost certain that a PIN would be required when either paying for your accommodation and also when authorizing any security hold processed through EFTPOS terminal that the hotel may request. 

Agree with the person above regarding Costco, if my purchase is over $200 I am required to enter the PIN. i.e. Tap, then PIN required before transaction is processed.

I cannot imagine tapping for a $10K transaction and not being asked for a PIN. Perhaps the EFTPOS machines in AU will default to a signature required if no PIN is available? I am not sure.

8 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I believe the point of sale machines have a function to generate a signable slip if someone cannot enter a pin.   Just tell the assistant so they can press the correct buttons.

Based on experience of an OS colleague here in a cafe (Parramatta CBD), where he wanted to sign as he had no PIN ("what's a pin?"), the young staff person didn't know anything about signing, just tap & go & PIN if required. I was about to step in & fix the bill, when another staff member came up & printed a slip off - the first staff member was amazed 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Seriously?! In NZ you can tap for free up to a certain figure.. otherwise you use a pin (and no - it's most certainly not a cash-advance!) on your credit-card. Nobody signs for a credit-card purchase.. that's last century stuff hahaha.