Awful food on oasis

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Bit didn't you use a Miami hotel?

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No! Even if I did would it matter when I am saying I used lowball figures?

30 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Just rechecked my original post and I did say Miami Hotel $250. So, I did imply that it was in Miami. OK, I owe you all one. Check is in the mail. LOL 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Where did you find a drink for $5 in Miami?  I live in the area and it looks like your prices are on the low side. I wish!  I do agree that cruising is a good value. Especially if you have C&A benefits.

Just rechecked my original post and I did say Miami Hotel $250. So, I did imply that it was in Miami. OK, I owe you all one. Check is in the mail. LOL 

8 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

For people on low-sodium diets who crave salt, it was probably MSG and soy sauce with extra salt added. 😁 Forbidden fruit always taste the best and the "I am on vacation" phrase is an easy way to justify it for one week. 🤣 

Nope, that was not it.

• Like 1

I was on Harmony of the Seas last week and the food was the worst I've ever had - I've been on 30+ cruises with every line except Disney.  The MDR was the absolute worst - I would be embarrassed to serve up what they were dishing out.  Also, VERY limited menu now, one page and no, you can't ask for anything if it isn't on that nights menu.  I was supposed to get a shrimp cocktail when it was on the first night's menu but it never came, so I figured I'd just get one the next night.  Nope, the waiter said we couldn't have it - in fine print at the bottom it says you cannot have anything that isn't on the menu unless you have dietary restrictions that were addressed pre-cruise!  We were actually glad to get off the ship so we could fix something decent at home.

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

No worries - I'll treat you to a $5.00 drink next time you're in town. 🤣 Might have to be at my place - LOL!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nelblu said:

The quality and taste on Oasis was a hit or miss.  Sailed her in October & December and some of the standard dishes where inedible.  For instance, you mention the NY Strip as being very good. Mine both in the MDR and lunch with Officers was veiny and quite chewy.  Also, I found the Pork Chops on Allure, Anthem and Oasis quite dry and tough.  As mentioned, before I'm not a chef but I can do a better job with Shake and Bake.

Going to miss the following wonderful entree from the old menu--Seafood Linguine with Marinara Sauce.

1179927433_image0(2).jpeg.32c77a8177c9b4e44e4b8fbb7fb6cd0c.jpeg

I've always said, "a good chef can make even the cheapest meats seem tasty and tender".  Apparently, something is lacking on those cruises.  :classic_mellow:

10 hours ago, nelblu said:

Ps.  I still enjoy cruising with Royal.  

That's the attitude!  Love it.  

On 1/21/2023 at 2:55 PM, Gemrac9693 said:

enough said

Way too much said...FRIEND!  I'm so glad I never have your kind of problems, we'd never cruise again!  Can't wait to get back on Allure in September and experience all she has to offer...for the 4th terrific time.  Was anything at all to your liking?  Just wondered!

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Guessing you watch Chopped🤣

LOL

Nope, not one show.  If this subject wasn't about food, I'd guess it was about motorcycles.  

I did "Google" Chopped before I typed this and see it is a show on the Food Network.  Cooking shows aren't my thing. :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

LOL

Nope, not one show.  If this subject wasn't about food, I'd guess it was about motorcycles.  

I did "Google" Chopped before I typed this and see it is a show on the Food Network.  Cooking shows aren't my thing. :classic_rolleyes:

They make a dish out of a bunch of random crap

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Boy O Boy, doesn't that sound appetizing! LOL

Some interesting creativity. They also have a fully stocked pantry to supplement it. But the 4 included ingredients have to be noticeable

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Some interesting creativity. They also have a fully stocked pantry to supplement it. But the 4 included ingredients have to be noticeable

The closest thing I come to watching a cooking/recipe thing is:  heygrillhey.com.  Good stuff.

We were on Oasis from 1/5 - 1/15 and certainly did not think the food was awful!  But we try to avoid buffets whether on land or sea.  We did eat breakfast a few times in Windjammer and it was fine/ok but we never had any issue finding a table.  MDR food and service was very good and we ate there 9 of the 10 nights.  We had lunch in Park Cafe or the Mexican place most days which were both good.  We were looking for a cheap get away and this cruise fit the bill 100%!  Where else could you travel for 10 nights, including food and entertainment for under $2,000? 

• Like 2

I was on this 10-day cruise Jan 5-15.

The windjammers I've experienced on the Oasis, Allure, and Harmony were poorly designed for the number of passengers.  There are a limited number of tables on either side of the food islands, so most people have to look for seats towards the back of the windjammer.  There is no exit from the rear of the windjammer other than slogging back past through the food area to the front exit.  So you have to navigate already crowded areas around the food islands with plates of food as well as dodge people entering and exiting the windjammer.  There's not even room for a bar in the Oasis windjammer.  The windjammer food on the Oasis was OK to me, but the hectic experience detracted from the experience.

On the other hand, on the Wonder, the windjammer was moved down one floor to deck 15 and the kitchen facilities were moved from the center of the windjammer to another floor.  Thus, there is a nice entryway, spacious food islands, and walkways to navigate the windjammer without trudging through the food areas.

All of the chaise lounges in the Oasis solarium were covered by towels (not necessarily people) by 7:30 AM.  The outdoor area forward of the solarium was not opened until after 9 AM, so a lot of people had to wait for that to grab a chair.  Additionally, the solarium area is not fully enclosed, so you have to deal with wind & rain on poor weather days (yes, even Caribbean cruises have nasty weather).

Again, the Wonder has a fully enclosed, temperature-controlled solarium.  Add to the fact that the Wonder is nearly brand new and has other improvements, I prefer that ship.  I took the Oasis cruise because it was the only 10-day cruise on an Oasis-class ship this year, last year, or next year.  For the usual 7-day Caribbean cruise, I'll book another ship.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JKHawaii said:

Again, the Wonder has a fully enclosed, temperature-controlled solarium.  Add to the fact that the Wonder is nearly brand new and has other improvements, I prefer that ship.  I took the Oasis cruise because it was the only 10-day cruise on an Oasis-class ship this year, last year, or next year.  For the usual 7-day Caribbean cruise, I'll book another ship.

A few weeks ago, I started a thread asking about the temperature in the Wonder's Solarium because I've read that it is completely enclose with glass, plastic, or whatever.  The popular answer was that it was too hot and too humid, even with a few windows opened.  I'm looking forward to going on the Wonder one day and I'll see for myself.  But, that is what my little unofficial survey produced.  

Good review though.  I liked it.  

On 1/21/2023 at 2:57 PM, Gemrac9693 said:

Windjammer food is basic at best, it's a battle to get a table and who designed the food islands and while I'm on it there is not enough seats anywhere and trying to get beds in solarium is hard work 

Of course Windjammer food is basic, it's a buffet. Buffet food is basic. If you want a better buffet, since it's the only thing you mention in your original post with awful food, sail Celebrity, Holland America or Virgin Voyages. Must better buffet experiences and VV has the Food Hall styled Galley. 

If you want better food on RCCL go to the Specialty Dining. We had great meals for an entire week on Symphony, mostly at the restaurants. 

On 1/21/2023 at 2:57 PM, Gemrac9693 said:

Windjammer food is basic at best, it's a battle to get a table and who designed the food islands and while I'm on it there is not enough seats anywhere and trying to get beds in solarium is hard work 

But you found something.  Not every cook is going to cook to your specifications.  They are cooking for thousands.  Did you starve eating food on the ship? 😂