Cruise Insurance Question for US Citizens

ssawjo

Hello,

We are thinking of cruising on Arvia in October 2023 from Barbados.  We (four of us) are US citizens.  I contacted my travel agent who will not book anything on P&O because of the insurance requirement.  She stated that P&O "requires" a £2 million (@$2.5 million USD) policy coverage.  Otherwise, boarding will be denied.

The P&O recommended insurance provider will not issue policies to US citizens, reason unknown.  I checked with my usual travel insurance provider, Allianz, and they do not issue policies for that amount.  If, however, I do find a policy if would cost @$3000 USD per person, or probably more for my spouse and I due to our age and pre-existing conditions.  

See the statement below from a travel agent that was sent to my agent:

"Dear Mr. Selby, 

Thank you for your email. I am pleased to hear you are joining us on board Britannia. 

We do recommend Holiday Extras for travel insurance, but unfortunately you do have to be a UK resident to take out a policy with them. 

I am unable to recommend another insurance provider, however we do require for you to have comprehensive, cruise-specific holiday insurance including medical and repatriation cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19. We would also recommend that your policy includes cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment, and full cover for any and all existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit.    

For more information on our travel insurance requirements, please visit P&O Cruises - travel insurance."

Can anyone provide any help for this insurance issue?  Not sure how to proceed.  

Thank you for any answers.  I will try to answer any questions to make things clearer if possible.

Cheers,

Bill O.

Carefree, AZ USA

After I wrote the above post, I saw that the cruise we were thinking about was cancelled.  It was K322A (Barbados r/t).  So, I guess the above question is moot.  But I still would like to get an answer anyway.

Thanks, Bill

14 hours ago, ssawjo said:

After I wrote the above post, I saw that the cruise we were thinking about was cancelled.  It was K322A (Barbados r/t).  So, I guess the above question is moot.  But I still would like to get an answer anyway.

Thanks, Bill

Regards my relatives in Canada, I seem to remember them saying they had worldwide medical cover from their "normal" health insurance connected with my brorher's former employers (he was an academic in. Canadian University), though I understand he has a particularly good health insurance policy.  They have relied in that for travel abroad, though am not sure they ever bothered with cancellation insurance.

I  am wondering if your standard healthcare insurance may be of some use and also be taken as part of the requirement by P&O.  Perhaps worth looking closely at your policy and asking P&O about that. 

It certainly sounds like a problem, though insurance does become a problem for UK nationals as they get older, depending upon specific health conditions they may develop.  Cost of insurance can at times equal the cost of the holiday, or perhaps exceed it, so can become a limiting factor on travel.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, tring said:

Regards my relatives in Canada, I seem to remember them saying they had worldwide medical cover from their "normal" health insurance connected with my brorher's former employers (he was an academic in. Canadian University), though I understand he has a particularly good health insurance policy.  They have relied in that for travel abroad, though am not sure they ever bothered with cancellation insurance.

I  am wondering if your standard healthcare insurance may be of some use and also be taken as part of the requirement by P&O.  Perhaps worth looking closely at your policy and asking P&O about that. 

It certainly sounds like a problem, though insurance does become a problem for UK nationals as they get older, depending upon specific health conditions they may develop.  Cost of insurance can at times equal the cost of the holiday, or perhaps exceed it, so can become a limiting factor on travel.

But would that cover helicopter evacuation if required?  Surely there must be some US insurance companies that provide travel insurance that meets the P&O requirements. Most, if not all, UK ones do.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

But would that cover helicopter evacuation if required?  Surely there must be some US insurance companies that provide travel insurance that meets the P&O requirements. Most, if not all, UK ones do.

That would be cruise specific which was never applicable toy non cruising relatives, yes would be needed. 

I suspect the main problem for the op is the cost, though as I had mentioned, it does become a big problem for us as we age, just need to check a number of quotes and hope we can find one which is acceptable, or give up holidays.

2 hours ago, tring said:

it does become a big problem for us as we age, just need to check a number of quotes and hope we can find one which is acceptable, or give up holidays.

I  agree,   and end up telling myself and others   our  annual policy costs around £1000.

So £500 each.   We are lucky enough to be able to manage 4 cruises a year so that

is £125 each    ie almost the cost  of 3 days drink package.  ( Not that we buy them)

People happily spend £40  a day on a drink package  but jibe at the insurance that could save

thousands of pounds.

Having said that , $3000 per person !!!!    I wouldnt  pay that I would find another ship/line.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 9:02 AM, Snow Hill said:

I would imagine the reason for not giving non U.K. Citizens cover has something to do with the UKs Financial Regulations and/or the insurance underwriters. 

Most U.K. Travel Insurance providers have this eligibility clause, there are a few niche providers in U.K., but no doubt they will come at an increased cost. 

54573152-20A0-4C35-9193-0C05B280C484.jpeg

So if you are a US citizen sailing on Cunard from the US do you have to meet insurance requirements? Just wondering as Cunard stipulate the same requirements for UK citizens as P&O do.

If that is the case, then there must be insurance policies available in the US, may be ask on the Cunard board?

14 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

So if you are a US citizen sailing on Cunard from the US do you have to meet insurance requirements? Just wondering as Cunard stipulate the same requirements for UK citizens as P&O do.

If that is the case, then there must be insurance policies available in the US, may be ask on the Cunard board?

Cunard cannot force US guests to buy an insurance policy as it is against US law.  Most guests sail under their own health policies and if they wish buy add ones for cancellation etc.

Also credit card companies offer travel insurance as part of their deals.  US insurance is nowhere near as comprehensive as European policies.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased two P&O cruises in 2024.  Vacations to go the agent for P&O America said we no longer have to purchase insurance insurance.  I have purchased an annual travel policy that covers travel and travel health including evacuation from Allianz.  This is in addition to my usual medical insurance.

Edited by Pete Cruise

6 hours ago, Pete Cruise said:

I have purchased two P&O cruises in 2024.  Vacations to go the agent for P&O America said we no longer have to purchase insurance insurance.  I have purchased an annual travel policy that covers travel and travel health including evacuation from Allianz.  This is in addition to my usual medical insurance.

What do you do for insurance when cruising from the US?  Does your usual medical insurance cover you for any emergency medical incidents, including helicopter evacuation and repatriation?

On 2/9/2023 at 4:29 AM, terrierjohn said:

What do you do for insurance when cruising from the US?  Does your usual medical insurance cover you for any emergency medical incidents, including helicopter evacuation and repatriation?

The same policy covers no matter where I sail from.  It is an annual policy that covers all travel from January to January.  I renew it every year.

58 minutes ago, Pete Cruise said:

The same policy covers no matter where I sail from.  It is an annual policy that covers all travel from January to January.  I renew it every year.

If this covers you for medical costs up to £2m, including repatriation etc, then why wont P&O accept it, in the same way they accept ours. 

We have sailed with our Canadian relatives from Southampton, on P&O and RCL, and I am fairly certain they used their Canadian travel insurance and did not have to provide anything extra.

On 2/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, terrierjohn said:

If this covers you for medical costs up to £2m, including repatriation etc, then why wont P&O accept it, in the same way they accept ours. 

We have sailed with our Canadian relatives from Southampton, on P&O and RCL, and I am fairly certain they used their Canadian travel insurance and did not have to provide anything extra.

It doesn't cover the all of the conditions required by itself.  I was told P & O no longer required the insurance for US passengers but highly recommended it.  Between my Allianz policy and my primary medical policy I have plenty.  Medicare doesn't cover US residents outside the US. 

On 1/25/2023 at 3:50 PM, ssawjo said:

Hello,

We are thinking of cruising on Arvia in October 2023 from Barbados.  We (four of us) are US citizens.  I contacted my travel agent who will not book anything on P&O because of the insurance requirement.  She stated that P&O "requires" a £2 million (@$2.5 million USD) policy coverage.  Otherwise, boarding will be denied.

The P&O recommended insurance provider will not issue policies to US citizens, reason unknown.  I checked with my usual travel insurance provider, Allianz, and they do not issue policies for that amount.  If, however, I do find a policy if would cost @$3000 USD per person, or probably more for my spouse and I due to our age and pre-existing conditions.  

See the statement below from a travel agent that was sent to my agent:

"Dear Mr. Selby, 

Thank you for your email. I am pleased to hear you are joining us on board Britannia. 

We do recommend Holiday Extras for travel insurance, but unfortunately you do have to be a UK resident to take out a policy with them. 

I am unable to recommend another insurance provider, however we do require for you to have comprehensive, cruise-specific holiday insurance including medical and repatriation cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19. We would also recommend that your policy includes cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment, and full cover for any and all existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit.    

For more information on our travel insurance requirements, please visit P&O Cruises - travel insurance."

Can anyone provide any help for this insurance issue?  Not sure how to proceed.  

Thank you for any answers.  I will try to answer any questions to make things clearer if possible.

Cheers,

Bill O.

Carefree, AZ USA

Bill your travel agent probably doesn't want to book P & O because P & O America requires all booking outside the UK to be book through Vacations To Go.  

3 hours ago, Pete Cruise said:

It doesn't cover the all of the conditions required by itself.  I was told P & O no longer required the insurance for US passengers but highly recommended it.  Between my Allianz policy and my primary medical policy I have plenty.  Medicare doesn't cover US residents outside the US. 

Are you sure that P&O have said that, find it hard to believe, if that was the case then the passenger or passengers would be fully liable for all the costs involving a medievac from a ship. 

44 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Are you sure that P&O have said that, find it hard to believe, if that was the case then the passenger or passengers would be fully liable for all the costs involving a medievac from a ship. 

I am sure @Megabear2has said in reference to Cunard that they can not insist that Americans have the Insurance cover. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

You are correct just like all the ships out of the US if you have to be flown off the ship you are liable for the bill.  I always have insurance no matter who I cruise with.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine has just returned from her first ever cruise. They were on Britannia and she surprised me by saying that there were a lot of Americans onboard. A couple of years ago I was discussing P&O with our US cruise agency and I was told that although they could book clients with Cunard P&O was off limits. Assume that has changed now. 

On 3/1/2023 at 7:04 AM, sandancer said:

A friend of mine has just returned from her first ever cruise. They were on Britannia and she surprised me by saying that there were a lot of Americans onboard. A couple of years ago I was discussing P&O with our US cruise agency and I was told that although they could book clients with Cunard P&O was off limits. Assume that has changed now. 

Yes outside the UK everyone has to book though Vacations to Go.  Vacations to Go doesn't promote P & O well.  I found my cruise on the P & O website and was given the Vacations to Go phone number.  

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 10:24 PM, Pete Cruise said:

Yes outside the UK everyone has to book though Vacations to Go.  Vacations to Go doesn't promote P & O well.  I found my cruise on the P & O website and was given the Vacations to Go phone number.  

Ugh, this is very discouraging then. We were looking into a P&O cruise, but I will not book through "vacations to go" because they are very shady scammers. Thanks for saying this, at least it helps me not waste my time any longer looking into P&O!

• 10 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 9:49 PM, Pete Cruise said:

Did you take your cruise yet? We are scheduled to sail w P&O in June. I just found out that P&O requires insurance. I am unable to find a $2ml coverage policy. Wondering how we should go about it. I have my primary medical but not sure if it covers global.