Ship announcements in cabins.

Pushka

On 1/31/2023 at 12:59 PM, WNcruiser said:

Well the good news is that it’s not your memory 😀. I spoke to a couple different techs and yes, when the Jupiter was new it was able to broadcast the PA announcements on the bridge channel. Unfortunately it no longer does. 

The only Information I could gather  was that it broke and they decided not to fix it. No explanation why. 

14 months ago, the explanation was that they needed a part and it was "on order".

I just asked and was told "there's a part that's needed, and it's on order".  And when I said "Is that the same part that was on order back in 2021?" - well, the silence was telling.  I then said "guess that's one more 'Supply Chain Issue' to go along with all the others". 

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2023 at 8:12 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Perhaps things have changed but on all our Viking cruises, the manager has made it very clear that prefer to deal with issues rather than hear about them from the home office after a guest has complained after disembarking. 

Well Clay....got a chance to talk with the manager and it was interesting.

When I mentioned concerns, his first reaction was that this couldn't be happening.  And then it devolved into minimizing my complaints.  Completely denied that there had been any changes or cutbacks since before covid, then when specifics were mentioned, he fell back on the old "supply chain issues" trope.  When he wasn't blaming things on staffing problems from HQ.

Trust me....he's going to hear from the head office about his dismissive attitude.  Though it's not really for my future benefit - my likelihood of being back on Viking is slim.  I'll try to do a full review in the next week or two.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

When I mentioned concerns, his first reaction was that this couldn't be happening.  And then it devolved into minimizing my complaints.  Completely denied that there had been any changes or cutbacks since before covid, then when specifics were mentioned, he fell back on the old "supply chain issues" trope.  When he wasn't blaming things on staffing problems from HQ.

Trust me....he's going to hear from the head office about his dismissive attitude.  Though it's not really for my future benefit - my likelihood of being back on Viking is slim.  I'll try to do a full review in the next week or two.

That is most disappointing feedback from what I assume is the ship's General Manager. This is definitely not our experience with the 3 we have experienced. Those are definitely comments to be included in the end of cruise survey.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, FlyerTalker said:

14 months ago, the explanation was that they needed a part and it was "on order".

I just asked and was told "there's a part that's needed, and it's on order".  And when I said "Is that the same part that was on order back in 2021?" - well, the silence was telling.  I then said "guess that's one more 'Supply Chain Issue' to go along with all the others". 

I look forward to hearing more Flyer.  I have come to think of you as a rational poster here and I am fully in the camp of things change.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Sorry to hear, now I’m becoming concerned about our July cruise which we convinced through our glowing reviews to have friends join. 

Look forward to your review. 

15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I look forward to your review in the near future. I will be on Viking Jupiter in June. Hope they have a different GM by then. I just had a thought, maybe the disappearing GM got COVID.?

I am not worried about hearing the  daily announcement in our state room on the tv. We are early risers and always up and about,. My cruise also has no sea days. 

Edited by Azulann

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I've been on a total of 8 Viking cruises since 2015 (4 river & 4 ocean). The ONLY time I had a problem with ship management was on the Jupiter last year. This hasn't stopped me from booking more cruises on Viking - but none are on the Jupiter.

• Like 3

Well that is concerning as our first Jupiter cruise is coming up in July.  We have been on both the Sea and Sky and had no problems with the GM answering questions without being defensive.  I will have to say on the Sea was the first time (4 Viking cruises prior) that I was told "No, I can't do that".  It was over the simple request for Ranch dressing at the Pool Grill.  I was told they would have to go all the way to the restaurant to get ranch.  Didn't understand the problem as I am sure the world cafe had ranch dressing but no one would go get it.  I reported this to Viking and was told that employee would not be a Viking employee for long with that attitude.  It really surprise me that he refused to go get any and I didn't understand them not having any on hand as ranch is one of the most popular salad dressings.  Hoping that our Jupiter cruise is the delight I am accustomed to from Viking.  We pay premium prices to sail on Viking and expect and deserve exceptional service.  Has anyone else noticed that all humanity seems to be angry and self centered these days???  

• Haha 1

Sad to hear but not surprised.  Our Holiday Cruise on the Sea was notable in that the GM, and all ship management as far as I could tell, were invisible.  Never met a single one.  Same with the poor cruise director.  Never around in passenger spaces.  Had numerous occasions where crew walked right past our seats without making any eye contact, no greeting or noticing our empty glasses.  Our first experience on Viking where I repeatedly had to go to the bar to order drinks.  We have the next world cruise booked and really hope they up their game to match pre covid.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Azulann said:

I look forward to your review in the near future. I will be on Viking Jupiter in June. Hope they have a different GM by then. I just had a thought, maybe the disappearing GM got COVID.?

I am not worried about hearing the  daily announcement in our state room on the tv. We are early risers and always up and about,. My cruise also has no sea days. 

I think wanting to hear the announcements is very itinerary specific. For us, it's announcements about the Suez Canal. For Alaska it was when we entered Hubbard Bay. We were told the night before it would commence at 8am. That didn't sound right. So we got up at 6.  We'd already started entering the bay. Sure enough an announcement was made at 7. 

We were on Jupiter last May.  We informed Guest Services one day that the testing was botched up and we received someone else's vials.  We weren't nasty about it at all, but we told them that we were going to go on with our day -- gym, breakfast, etc.  

That evening there was a letter in our room from the GM -- I can't remember his name -- apologizing for the error and said it wouldn't happen again.  It happened again the next morning to us and several others on our deck.  

We weren't against their testing policy, in fact we supported it.  But after experiencing it and chatting with others on board, we decided it was ineffective.

• Like 2

On the Jupiter for 3 weeks in March/April 2022. I’m pretty sure that we could hear the announcements via the appropriate channel on the TV. We were in quarantine for ten days and couldn’t (didn’t) just run out into the corridor to hear what was going on. It was very frustrating to hear about things happening on board and not be able to take part 😅.

We we’re also quite impressed by the crew that we encountered. Their reactions to a couple just suddenly appearing from nowhere in the middle of the Atlantic were quite amusing. Most were slightly embarrassed that they’d „forgotten“ our cabin number and names.

Not to mention the excellent and friendly treatment we were given during quarantine.

Edited by Berlin Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Berlin Bear said:

On the Jupiter for 3 weeks in March/April 2022. I’m pretty sure that we could hear the announcements via the appropriate channel on the TV. We were in quarantine for ten days and couldn’t (didn’t) just run out into the corridor to hear what was going on. It was very frustrating to hear about things happening on board and not be able to take part 😅.

We we’re also quite impressed by the crew that we encountered. Their reactions to a couple just suddenly appearing from nowhere in the middle of the Atlantic were quite amusing. Most were slightly embarrassed that they’d „forgotten“ our cabin number and names.

Not to mention the excellent and friendly treatment we were given during quarantine.

We were also on the same Jupiter cruise as you, albeit not in quarantine, and like you, we could get the announcements on the TV

• Thanks 1