How to be reached in an emergency?

pittnh

2 minutes ago, pittnh said:

How can someone get ahold of me on the ship if there is an emergency at home?  My plan was not to use cellular or internet service while on the cruise.  Can the phones in room be dialed directly?

888-724-7447 at least that's what it used to be; not sure it's the same but it's listed somewhere on your e-docs as well! They would also need to have your names, your ship name, sail date, and cabin number.

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

888-724-7447 at least that's what it used to be; not sure it's the same but it's listed somewhere on your e-docs as well! They would also need to have your names, your ship name, sail date, and cabin number.

great thank you!  I'm a little early so I haven't got the e-docs yet

• Like 1

Has anyone ever been called that way?   What happens if you aren't in your room when they call?   
Not that there is anything that we could do in an emergency, but I'm one of those people that would rather know. 
We will all have our cell phones but we'll only be using them for Royal chat and as mp3 players.  So, no internet services.  If something happened we could add internet.  

Has anyone ever used the Royal Chat to get messages from someone not on the cruise ship?   Like maybe I could give my parents my daughter's login.    In an emergency they could send me a chat message as if it came from her?   Maybe?   

42 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Has anyone ever been called that way?   What happens if you aren't in your room when they call?   
Not that there is anything that we could do in an emergency, but I'm one of those people that would rather know. 
We will all have our cell phones but we'll only be using them for Royal chat and as mp3 players.  So, no internet services.  If something happened we could add internet.  

Has anyone ever used the Royal Chat to get messages from someone not on the cruise ship?   Like maybe I could give my parents my daughter's login.    In an emergency they could send me a chat message as if it came from her?   Maybe?   

The chat feature in the app will only work while on the ship, you can not chat with someone off the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

Our son-in-law received a call from home when his grandfather died.  Guest services found him and told him.  We were also able to use the Guest Services phone when my husband’s sister died.  They let him call his brother-in-law.

Yes.  Used to cancel a tour when a port was cancelled or reach a car service when our cruise ended early.   Guest services is always cooperative. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What did people do before the internet and cell phones existed ?

Cruise ships have always had phones available to use for emergencies. Had to go to guest services or wait until you go to a port and were lucky find someone to borrow a phone. Had an emergency when sailing on Carnival in 2004 and they were very kind to offer the phone. There was a fee though.

We had to reach my mother-in law when her son passed unexpectedly,

we called (can't remember what number) they patched us to her room.

She wasn't in there they called her over the intercom and connected us

to the phone she was nearest too. She got off at next port and few home.

Passports are essential for just this reason.

29 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Cruise ships have always had phones available to use for emergencies. Had to go to guest services or wait until you go to a port and were lucky find someone to borrow a phone. Had an emergency when sailing on Carnival in 2004 and they were very kind to offer the phone. There was a fee though.

Royal has never charged us a fee for the calls we made.  Also if you need to make a call in an emergency call gurst services from cabin rather than waiting on line.  When Stockholm stop was cancelled, took a look at line, went back to cabin and called guest services.  I needed to cancel a private tour.  No problem,  no fee.

22 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Royal has never charged us a fee for the calls we made.  Also if you need to make a call in an emergency call gurst services from cabin rather than waiting on line.  When Stockholm stop was cancelled, took a look at line, went back to cabin and called guest services.  I needed to cancel a private tour.  No problem,  no fee.

Could that have been because the cause was the cancelled port?