Izumi Sushi Ultimate Dining Change

HSDerm348

On the Odyssey now.  Everyone who likes sushi and books the unlimited dining package should know of a big change we were told happened within the last month.  

Previously (and as advertised on the website still) you could do a pre-fix menu ($34.99) which got you the miso soup, an app, two entrees (e.g., two rolls), and a desert - per person OR you could order $35/person a la carte.  We always ordered a la carte because we just ordered up to $35/person worth of rolls - we enjoy the sushi more than the other things.

We were informed by the waiter (and the manager confirmed) that you now MUST get the pre-fixe menu, there is no a la carte option.  Further, you don’t get the miso soup AND the rolls are 4 pieces (half size).  So now you just get an app, the equivalent of one roll, and a desert.  The price of which is significantly less than $35 even if ordered a la carte!

I showed them the website and they said there is really nothing to do, they can’t do a la carte credits, but they would send in a screenshot of the website (to someone).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HSDerm348 said:

On the Odyssey now.  Everyone who likes sushi and books the unlimited dining package should know of a big change we were told happened within the last month.  

Previously (and as advertised on the website still) you could do a pre-fix menu ($34.99) which got you the miso soup, an app, two entrees (e.g., two rolls), and a desert - per person OR you could order $35/person a la carte.  We always ordered a la carte because we just ordered up to $35/person worth of rolls - we enjoy the sushi more than the other things.

We were informed by the waiter (and the manager confirmed) that you now MUST get the pre-fixe menu, there is no a la carte option.  Further, you don’t get the miso soup AND the rolls are 4 pieces (half size).  So now you just get an app, the equivalent of one roll, and a desert.  The price of which is significantly less than $35 even if ordered a la carte!

I showed them the website and they said there is really nothing to do, they can’t do a la carte credits, but they would send in a screenshot of the website (to someone).

I posted about 4 pieces of sushi after my dec b2b so many of us have read my posts and others.

The new no ala carte, is that just if you purchased the unlimited? If it applied to all surely they would cross it off. 

This was at our lunch reservation that this happened. We were told it was a change to the entire unlimited dining usage at Izumi Sushi - not just at lunch.  No a la carte and the rolls are half size and no miso soup.

A table of six next to us ordered the regular pre fixe menu and got soup, starter, normal rolls, and dessert.  It is just impacting those with the unlimited dining it appears.

19 minutes ago, Yinster said:

If you got the unlimited dining, can you not go twice in one night? Or am I missing here?

Exactly, if that's the case, order, close my tab. Order again. Seems like a bad interpretation and not the norm. Half a roll is not a meal. UDP in 56 days so we will see

26 minutes ago, Yinster said:

If you got the unlimited dining, can you not go twice in one night? Or am I missing here?

Yes that's exactly it. There were reports even in nov where one time limit. Some ships hadnt enforced it yet. One time to playmakers or izumi per night. 

You got it. One time per night.

11 minutes ago, SWACruising said:

Exactly, if that's the case, order, close my tab. Order again. Seems like a bad interpretation and not the norm. Half a roll is not a meal. UDP in 56 days so we will see

He said he got the meal for 34.99 which to me is quite a bit of food. It's not one sushi order. His post said izumi wasnt taking ala carte orders. 

I also ran into cant have izumi for diamond plus bogo on grandeur which isnt the norm but was left in my cabin saying this. They can make their own rules. Ok its chops and Giovanni instead. No izumi.

56 minutes ago, SWACruising said:

I had pre purchased for my family for out New Years cruise on Navigator. The number of pieces for a roll had changed. So we each got to order 1 small plate and 2 large plates and dessert. So if you ordered 2 rolls, you got 8 pieces. I don’t eat sushi, but after gyoza, ramen bowl and dessert, it was plenty. I guess for some it’s not enough.

When I was on the Wonder in Nov., before change, I saw couples with 2 rolls each, which was 32 pieces total. It was a crazy amount of food, and most of it sat there, wasted, when they were done.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I had pre purchased for my family for out New Years cruise on Navigator. The number of pieces for a roll had changed. So we each got to order 1 small plate and 2 large plates and dessert. So if you ordered 2 rolls, you got 8 pieces. I don’t eat sushi, but after gyoza, ramen bowl and dessert, it was plenty. I guess for some it’s not enough.

When I was on the Wonder in Nov., before change, I saw couples with 2 rolls each, which was 32 pieces total. It was a crazy amount of food, and most of it sat there, wasted, when they were done.

I get that it could be enough for some people - we go there for the sushi.  I will say the gyoza are good but both that and the truffle lobster roll were not on the menu anymore either (at least when we went at lunch).  So, one roll per person isn’t exactly a lunch when you don’t want the apps and dessert that they offer and they won’t let you use the package to just order rolls - just the two half rolls.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HSDerm348 said:

I get that it could be enough for some people - we go there for the sushi.  I will say the gyoza are good but both that and the truffle lobster roll were not on the menu anymore either (at least when we went at lunch).  So, one roll per person isn’t exactly a lunch when you don’t want the apps and dessert that they offer and they won’t let you use the package to just order rolls - just the two half rolls.

Yeah, that is a bummer. We went for dinner. My daughter had the truffle Lobster Roll and one other that I can’t remember. She also had Miso soup as a small plate. What’s funny is my granddaughter ordered off the kids menu, and she got 12 pieces of sushi. I ordered the Poke Bowl for 2nd large plate, and gave to her. My non fish daughter asked for a veggie sushi roll and got 8 pieces. 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:07 PM, HSDerm348 said:

A table of six next to us ordered the regular pre fixe menu and got soup, starter, normal rolls, and dessert.  It is just impacting those with the unlimited dining it appears.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:11 PM, firefly333 said:

Ok that's what I thought. So what we saw in dec is still there. None of us had unlimited. 

I think it is anyone that orders the pre Fixe.  We went on Anthem on 1/13 and ordered it for 2 and we were not on the plan.  We only got 4 rolls for the Futomaki and Baked Snow Crab Dynamite rolls.  The Sashimi seemed to be full size.  I spoke to the manager and he said it was fleet wide that anyone who got the Prix Fixe menu would only get 4 rolls.  I told him they need to change the paper menus and online ones if they are going to keep this change as it still said you get 2 large plates and the description under the large plate section states the number of rolls.  

They ended up giving us a Futomaki and Baked Snow crab for take-out for lunch one day to make up for poor communication of the change.  It will be interesting to see if the menus are updated when we sail on anthem again on 4/23.

• Like 1

I enjoy Izumi for sushi as part of the UDP so not sure how this cut of the number of pieces by 50% will work for me.  We were on Odyssey in early December before the change and enjoyed the portions.  I don't recall feeling it was an excessive amount of food.

We are back on Odyssey in 2 weeks and will give it a try one night.  I can always go to another restaurant later for something extra if not enough food.  But maybe the new portions will still be enough and help cut back on my typical weight gain on a cruise.  One of my goals is to eat healthier / not excessively while cruising.  

• 3 weeks later...

On Odyssey this week. Had dinner at Izumi under the UDP and got only 4 pieces of sushi per roll as expected under the new terms. The interesting thing is I got it to go another night under the UDP and each roll had 8 pieces. Not sure if that was a mistake or not. Getting it to go tomorrow probably too as wife wants to eat at PlayMakers so I will get my Izumi dinner to go and eat it there with her. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 4:08 PM, HSDerm348 said:

Still says two rolls (8 pieces apiece) on the lunch menu for my Oasis sailing in December. Plus the soup and small plates. That's per person. The price for lunch and dinner is the same as is the menu. They certainly should update that if it's not true. It's open for reserving.

I will say for me, 16 pieces of sushi is way more than I can eat.

Edited by nferr
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 6:24 PM, acuprulez said:

Anyone know if they're enforcing this limitation on Star class guests, since technically that's UDP?

We were on Odyssey mid-January in Star class suite. I'm reading these comments and wracking my brain to remember whether we only got 4 pieces or 8?!? (some times my cruise memories run together! We were on Symphony in December, not star class but had UDP, and i know we got 8 pieces that time). But I really think we got 8 pieces on Odyssey....i know between the 2 of us we had a lot of food and probably didn't finish it all. I think my opinion going forward would be that if i don't get full on what they serve me, i don't mind paying the $15 or whatever to get another roll....

On 2/23/2023 at 8:54 AM, wreckem2013 said:

If you have UDP or prebook you only get four pieces per sushi roll. Only way to do a la crate and get 8 pieces per roll is make a reservation at the restaurant(not on the app) once you board. It’s been like this for a few months now.

That's really strange. 

There are huge differences between sizes of the Izumi rolls. The biggest is a meal by itself. The smallest would leave me hungry if I only received 4 pieces.

This is vacation though, and people should be able to over-indulge without much judgement. I'm not talking about ordering a dozen lobster tails on lobster night, but just having what would be a big sushi feast and not feeling restricted. It's an upcharge after all.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Sorry i know this is an old thread, but i am looking for some clarity. If i make a reservation at the restaurant can i still get the sushi a la carte at dinner and will there be 8 pieces of sushi? (I don't have udp).