General vibe on O

Sibsie

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@Sibsie

if you can travel at the drop of a hat, we were told this a.m. that there are only 770 on Marina, Santiago to Buenos Aires and into Antarctica. While the seas can be rough in Drakes Passage, from a purely enjoying Nature standpoint, this cruise is absolutely the best we have ever taken. ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. 
You should grab the first available itinerary that floats your boat and get to cruising Oceania and don’t look back. So much of 2023 is sold out, and Waitlisted but try it, you’ll like it. New itineraries for 2025 will be out in a couple of months. 
Mauibabes

770 seems unlikely - until about 2 days ago, the website showed all categories as WAITLIST.  There's some availability showing now, but I can't imagine ~500 passengers chickening out in that timeframe.

But hope springs... I'd love the ship to be that empty.  What was your source?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@Sibsie

if you can travel at the drop of a hat, we were told this a.m. that there are only 770 on Marina, Santiago to Buenos Aires and into Antarctica. While the seas can be rough in Drakes Passage, from a purely enjoying Nature standpoint, this cruise is absolutely the best we have ever taken. BSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. 
You should grab the first available itinerary that floats your boat and get to cruising Oceania and don’t look back. So much of 2023 is sold out, and Waitlisted but try it, you’ll like it. New itineraries for 2025 will be out in a couple of months. 
Mauibabes

Edited by NewSalty
duplicate

We find Oceania to be much quieter than Celebrity and for us that's a good thing. Even out by the pool when the loungers are nearly full O's vibe is more chilled than on X. (It helps that you don't have to fight for a lounger on O like you do on X.) People on O are friendly but a bit more reserved/introverted perhaps than on X.  

• Like 1

I think you’ll find the waitlist is due to Oceania pausing the sale of all cabins due to the protests and uncertainty in Lima. This cruise ends in Lima with the next leg starting there which I’m due to join on 19 March. This leg is also waitlisted in every category of stateroom. Waiting with everything crossed at the current time in the hope things settle down in Peru. 

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

NO steel bands by the pool....

But do you know how many complaints I've seen here over the years because they're not? Especially in the Caribbean.  That's one of those things I really don't care about one way or the other. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ORV said:

But do you know how many complaints I've seen here over the years because they're not? Especially in the Caribbean.  That's one of those things I really don't care about one way or the other. 

A big issue for some. Some people are happy listening to Anne Murray, Perry Como, and Olivia Newton John sitting by the pool regardless of where the ship is. Some of us would rather have an occasional steel band, German Umpah Band, or Greek minstrels depending upon where the ship is sailing. A bit of lively entertainment would be good occasionally. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

YUCK  who in their right mind would listen to Anne Murray 😲

Well, someone must be clamoring for it. The pool and Lounge system seems to play her regularly. The answer to your question is the multitude of O passengers far older than you, of which there are many.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Well, someone must be clamoring for it. The pool and Lounge system seems to play her regularly. The answer to your question is the multitude of O passengers far older than you, of which there are many.

Older than me 😲🍷

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goaty said:

I think you’ll find the waitlist is due to Oceania pausing the sale of all cabins due to the protests and uncertainty in Lima. This cruise ends in Lima with the next leg starting there which I’m due to join on 19 March. This leg is also waitlisted in every category of stateroom. Waiting with everything crossed at the current time in the hope things settle down in Peru. 

Different cruise.  The one in question starts in Santiago and ends in Buenos Aires.

Our 19th O cruise is next week and free cruise in May.  Obviously we’ve been very happy with this cruise line since 2007.

However, the vast majority of passengers will be your parents’ ages. My children are your age and I would never suggest they cruise O. Not for at least another 10 years….or more.

Everything is geared toward seniors….music, show productions, comedians, etc.

If you’re ok cruising with older folk, the cabins, food and service on O are top-notch. 

• Like 4

I was in my early 50’s on my first O cruise and didn’t feel too young. It was a great itinerary. Back then the entertainment was almost non-existent. It’s much better now and they’re making a good effort towards appealing to a wider range of age groups, 

Now I’m 67 and feel like I’m in the middle age range although it does depends on the itinerary . On my South Pacific cruise last year there were as many people younger than me as older. 

• Like 1

An age rule of thumb. If you’re on a cruise segment that is 12-14 days or shorter, the median ages may be slightly lower. If you are on a cruise segment 14 days or longer the median age jumps rapidly. I’ve been on O cruises where the median age was 80. Many of those were not a young 80 .

• Like 1

The source for the Feb. 7 cruise back to Buenos Aires was the Cruise Director on one of his comments sessions.  A friend on board was also inquiring about taking the return trip and that number was a part of their discussion. 
We are in the Fjords now with grey cloudy skies and breezy, but have to duck out into the Straights tonight for some rocking and rolling, 4 meter waves with 30 km winds.  Tomorrow about noon we duck out again and rock and roll during the day but will get a good nights sleep.  
Definitely bring your patches or other motion sickness potions. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The source for the Feb. 7 cruise back to Buenos Aires was the Cruise Director on one of his comments sessions.  A friend on board was also inquiring about taking the return trip and that number was a part of their discussion. 
We are in the Fjords now with grey cloudy skies and breezy, but have to duck out into the Straights tonight for some rocking and rolling, 4 meter waves with 30 km winds.  Tomorrow about noon we duck out again and rock and roll during the day but will get a good nights sleep.  
Definitely bring your patches or other motion sickness potions. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Wrong thread?

34 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Thanks Robin for sharing the clarification to my post. 

hopefully we will meet up again on another I cruise soon.  
Mauibabes

Hopefully soon! Would you love to cruise w you both again!

So we are Celebrity regulars and last spring we went on our first Windstar (Star Breeze bigger one without sails). There was 170 passengers (post COVID holds 360) and we loved everything about it and thought we were hooked until a passenger told us the food was even better on O.

So we are booked on 21 day Regatta March of 2024....Papeete around FP then Hawaii then back to LA.

Can anyone compare O to Windstar?

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

An age rule of thumb. If you’re on a cruise segment that is 12-14 days or shorter, the median ages may be slightly lower. If you are on a cruise segment 14 days or longer the median age jumps rapidly. I’ve been on O cruises where the median age was 80. Many of those were not a young 80 .

I was on a 14 day Caribbean in December 2022 where the median age was 80+. The rule of thumb did not hold true for my cruise.

7 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I was on a 14 day Caribbean in December 2022 where the median age was 80+. The rule of thumb did not hold true for my cruise.

We were on the same cruise.  Very elderly passengers. Very common on cruises out of Miami.