Ideas for Iona to the Canaries in March

Megabear2

Not having sailed Iona nor having been to the Canaries for 13 years I wonder if anyone can give me an idea what to expect!

First thing: itinerary is Madeira, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Cadiz and Lisbon overnight.

Question: which ports will I need a shuttle for - I'm on a saver so need to pay.

Question: When I booked for Canaries last October (cancelled due to my aunt's situation) there was a trip to the solar observatory on a day trip. This doesn't seem to exist via P&O on my trip.  Has anyone done this independently and if so how difficult is it to do?

Question: No idea what to do I  Gran Canaria and Lanzarote, any ideas gratefully received!

Question: Cadiz, never been at this time of year, what should I expect weatherwise?  Suggestions for where to go for something other than a stroll around which I normally do would be great.

Question: Lisbon.  I love this city but have never stayed overnight.  As I'm travelling alone any suggestions on something to do there that's both safe and uncomplicated - I'm fine for daytime activities.

If anyone has ideas or can point me to information which might be useful I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you

• Thanks 1

You will probably need the shuttle in Lisbon as P&O dock at the Carnival pier which is a good walk to the town centre, or alternatively walk around the area close by. There is usually a tour to Seville from Cadiz which we really enjoyed, it can be cooler up in Seville so a jacket/fleece would be advised. 

Madeira is a 20/30 minute walk from port to town, it isn't far in a straight line but you have to walk around the bay. 

• Thanks 1

In Tenerife take the tram to the old capital of La Laguna, high up in the mountains. You can buy a ticket at any tram stop using cash or credit card. Validate your ticket on the tram The fare is €1.35 each way and it takes around 30 mins. You can catch the tram at Fundacion, about a 10 min walk from the port. Look for the tram going up hill to La Trinidad, which is the Main Street in La Laguna. Take an extra layer of clothing as there is a distinct temperature change due to altitude. 
If you like shopping, on the way back, get off at the penultimate stop of Teatro Guimera and walk down the main shopping street back to the port

https://metrotenerife.com/routes-and-timetables/

Brian

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You will probably need the shuttle in Lisbon as P&O dock at the Carnival pier which is a good walk to the town centre, or alternatively walk around the area close by. There is usually a tour to Seville from Cadiz which we really enjoyed, it can be cooler up in Seville so a jacket/fleece would be advised. 

Madeira is a 20/30 minute walk from port to town, it isn't far in a straight line but you have to walk around the bay. 

Thank you.  The berth for Lisbon is something called JTab on What's in Port which rather confused me! I assume it is called something else.

1 minute ago, BrianI said:

In Tenerife take the tram to the old capital of La Laguna, high up in the mountains. You can buy a ticket at any tram stop using cash or credit card. Validate your ticket on the tram The fare is €1.35 each way and it takes around 30 mins. You can catch the tram at Fundacion, about a 10 min walk from the port. Look for the tram going up hill to La Trinidad, which is the Main Street in La Laguna. Take an extra layer of clothing as there is a distinct temperature change due to altitude. 
If you like shopping, on the way back, get off at the penultimate stop of Teatro Guimera and walk down the main shopping street back to the port

https://metrotenerife.com/routes-and-timetables/

Brian

I travelled to La Laguna on the tram last December. I bought a return ticket and you scan it when you get on the tram at Fundacion AND scan it when you get off the tram at La Laguna. Then scan it again when you get back on. No need to scan when you get off at Fundacion. I sweated all the way back as I forgot to scan when I got off at Fundacion. Luckily no ticket inspector boarded.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you.  The berth for Lisbon is something called JTab on What's in Port which rather confused me! I assume it is called something else.

JTab is the Jardin do Tabaco near the main terminal about half a mile east of Black Horse Square. Room there for 2 very large ships to berth plus some smaller ones.

Edited by davecttr

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

JTab is the Jardin do Tabaco near the main terminal about half a mile east of Black Horse Square. Room there for 2 very large ships to berth plus some smaller ones.

Thank you.  I assume then it's walkable as Fionboard says above?  I'm hoping to do something in the evening so walkable sounds ideal!

Edited by Megabear2

We are going to Tenerife on Iona in March and the observatory is offered as an evening excursion. For us it was a toss up between that and cable car to top of Teide.

Lanzarote we are visiting Manrique's house made in the lava tunnels. It is offered as an excursion, but should be easy in a taxi as it is close to the port.

I haven't been inspired by anything in Gran Canaria yet.

There is an evening excursion in Lisbon but you have to make your own way back to the ship. It doesn't look far, but there are two of us. You may not want to do it on your own.

Edited by happy v
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, happy v said:

We are going to Tenerife on Iona in March and the observatory is offered as an evening excursion. For us it was a toss up between that and cable car to top of Teide.

Lanzarote we are visiting Manrique's house made in the lava tunnels. It is offered as an excursion, but should be easy in a taxi as it is close to the port.

There is an evening excursion in Lisbon but you have to make your own way back to the ship. It doesn't look far, but there are two of us. You may not want to do it on your own.

Are you on 18th March trip?  I haven't looked at the sailing time for Tenerife so didn't realise there may be an evening trip.

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Are you on 18th March trip?  I haven't looked at the sailing time for Tenerife so didn't realise there may be an evening trip.

Yes. Are we on the same cruise?

The excursion leaves at 5/5.30 pm. It should be excellent. I think it's the biggest telescope in Europe.

1 minute ago, happy v said:

Yes. Are we on the same cruise?

The excursion leaves at 5/5.30 pm. It should be excellent. I think it's the biggest telescope in Europe.

Yes we are! How exciting. I've tried three times to go to the observatory, twice cruises cancelled by covid and then the business with my aunt last year.  I shall get straight on it!  Thank you. 

37 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes we are! How exciting. I've tried three times to go to the observatory, twice cruises cancelled by covid and then the business with my aunt last year.  I shall get straight on it!  Thank you. 

This is a cruise vlog for Lanzarote.

• Thanks 1

We were in Lisbon 10 days ago. Took the shuttle from the ship, took nearly 30 minutes going around in a three quarter circle before we alighted. Walked through the city towards the river, looked to our right and there was the ship about 15 minutes walk away. Moral of the story, don't both with the shuttle, off the ship, turn left and a casual walk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Question: No idea what to do I  Gran Canaria and Lanzarote, any ideas gratefully received!

hey megabear - Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is one of my favourite ports.  Its an easy walk off the ship.

I think we ve been there 3 times. You can

*use a bus or taxi to get to the old part of the city where there is a fantastic museum with the history of Columbus and the later explorations of south America

(we used the hop on hop off bus which is convenient, but not one of the best in terms of what you see and as far as I remember expensive, it does pick up at the port gate though).

* hire a pedal cycle as there are nice dedicated off road cycle routes

* walk to the beach on the opp coast from where the ship docks, only about 15 mins, nice beach and lots of attractive cafes etc

*personally I always go shopping in El Corte Ingles, Spains best department store, huge,  lovely quality like Harrods or Selfridges, and the branch in Las Palmas is enormous. (I bought 3 handbags on our  last visit!), and  walkable from the ship. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sleepingcat said:

hey megabear - Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is one of my favourite ports.  Its an easy walk off the ship.

I think we ve been there 3 times. You can

*use a bus or taxi to get to the old part of the city where there is a fantastic museum with the history of Columbus and the later explorations of south America

(we used the hop on hop off bus which is convenient, but not one of the best in terms of what you see and as far as I remember expensive, it does pick up at the port gate though).

* hire a pedal cycle as there are nice dedicated off road cycle routes

* walk to the beach on the opp coast from where the ship docks, only about 15 mins, nice beach and lots of attractive cafes etc

*personally I always go shopping in El Corte Ingles, Spains best department store, huge,  lovely quality like Harrods or Selfridges, and the branch in Las Palmas is enormous. (I bought 3 handbags on our  last visit!), and  walkable from the ship. 

We went around the old part of the city using the bus when we called there in 2013, visited the museum, watch a concert of traditional Canarian music which in one of the little squares in the old town. We too visited El Cortes Ingles, my wife did buy a handbag, I remember buying a few things too, also an opportunity to practice my Spanish. 

On a land visit some years earlier visited Teror, not far from Las Palmas, around 20km, it’s worth a visit. Roque Nublo National Park might be too far for a day visit from Las Palmas, that’s in the centre of the island, about an hour or so from Las Palmas,  but you do get some amazing views.

https://www.grancanaria.com/turismo/en/the-island/municipios-de-gran-canaria/visit-teror/discover-teror/

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, happy v said:

In Gran Canaria we will wander acros to las canteras. Not far and apparently one of the best beaches in Europe. Cafe's and restaurants etc.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In Gran Canaris we will wander acros to las canteras. Not far and apparently one of the best beaches in Europe. Cafe's and restaurants etc.

Thanks. That could be a plan for us. We thought we would just have a bimble about, but I do like a destination as it stops the decisions over which street to take 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, happy v said:

Thanks. That could be a plan for us. We thought we would just have a bimble about, but I do like a destination as it stops the decisions over which street to take 🙂

Doesn't look far on images. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

We were in Lisbon 10 days ago. Took the shuttle from the ship, took nearly 30 minutes going around in a three quarter circle before we alighted. Walked through the city towards the river, looked to our right and there was the ship about 15 minutes walk away. Moral of the story, don't both with the shuttle, off the ship, turn left and a casual walk.

I'll second that! Exactly the same for us in early January.

We walked back in half the time it takes on the bus.  Very pleasant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Cadiz - have you been to Jerez? We enjoyed a trip there and it’s not far. Lots of bodegas. 

Thank you, no I haven't.  Only thing I've done outside the main town was a trip to see the Spanish Riding School many years ago,  is Jerez the home of sherry?