Wonder Of The Seas MDR

6 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Looks good, is it my imagination or have the plates substantial shrunk in size.  I have read reports that portion size has been greatly reduced. 

Not at all.   All my meals have been huge.   
tonight’s turkey dinner was so big I could hardly finish it.    

On 2/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Looks good, is it my imagination or have the plates substantial shrunk in size.  I have read reports that portion size has been greatly reduced. 

I think some of the meals have shrunk a little, at least on the Harmony. One that definitely noticeable was the fish and chips in the MDR. Normally we would get 2 pieces of fish, but this time we each only got one. We could have asked for more, but didn’t bother.

Another thing I really dislike is that when I would get 2 appetizers I could get them served at the same time. I like to have my salad with shrimp cocktail or soup together. Now they will let you only have one at the time. I complained so they gave in. I was on a b2b and on January 16th and it wasn’t like that. On January 21st is when they said it changed. I don’t see what difference it makes to them. Maybe they are trying to discourage people from getting more than 2 appetizers. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure is this is specific to Harmony or ship wide. I will be on the Odyssey this weekend so I’ll see what it’s like there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I think some of the meals have shrunk a little, at least on the Harmony. One that definitely noticeable was the fish and chips in the MDR. Normally we would get 2 pieces of fish, but this time we each only got one. We could have asked for more, but didn’t bother.

Another thing I really dislike is that when I would get 2 appetizers I could get them served at the same time. I like to have my salad with shrimp cocktail or soup together. Now they will let you only have one at the time. I complained so they gave in. I was on a b2b and on January 16th and it wasn’t like that. On January 21st is when they said it changed. I don’t see what difference it makes to them. Maybe they are trying to discourage people from getting more than 2 appetizers. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure is this is specific to Harmony or ship wide. I will be on the Odyssey this weekend so I’ll see what it’s like there.

A table for two gets quite crowded if the waiter unbidden brings four starters at once; that happens fairly often.  There is shuffling to fit them with the bread plates, bread basket, wine glasses, water glasses, S&P, butter, and table marker already on the small table.  We’d rather the waiter bring the soup/salad and appetizer separately, as that’s how we eat them.  To us it feels like the waiters are rushing us when they dump all the starters at once, though understand your disappointment if you ask for both starters at once and they come one at a time. Perhaps if we were sharing a larger table with others who tended to only order one starter I’d feel differently.

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

A table for two gets quite crowded if the waiter unbidden brings four starters at once; that happens fairly often.  There is shuffling to fit them with the bread plates, bread basket, wine glasses, water glasses, S&P, butter, and table marker already on the small table.  We’d rather the waiter bring the soup/salad and appetizer separately, as that’s how we eat them.  To us it feels like the waiters are rushing us when they dump all the starters at once, though understand your disappointment if you ask for both starters at once and they come one at a time. Perhaps if we were sharing a larger table with others who tended to only order one starter I’d feel differently.

DH usually doesn’t order 2 so it’s only 3 on the table. We never had this problem before until on the Harmony last month.

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We were at a table for eight on Quantum a few months ago.   All the appetizers were brought out at once, the fellow next to me ordered three.  I think about 15 appetizers were placed on the table.  We all complained and they were brought out one serving at a time for the remainder of the cruise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, topanga49er said:

Is it just me or has the menu really not changed that much?  It is a better font, a couple of updates, but I am not seeing the huge fuss of a big change...  What am I missing besides no unlimited lobster tails 🙁

No substitutions, no changes, no requests - dessert only - if you eat ALL the vegetables!

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 7:06 PM, Cruise5life said:

Some pics of my meals this week on the Wonder.   Every meal was outstanding but the lasagna. 
added in a few deserts.   
everyone in our party of 10 had great meals and great service. 

AEEB45D8-03E9-49DD-9061-8D63DA985F84.jpeg

F53E84C1-DB21-44B6-83CB-DAD37DB83CA4.jpeg

133B04E3-CB0D-47B9-A56D-E0A0D177350C.jpeg

7E8D48F5-F34E-4EAA-83C2-4173154BAD0D.jpeg

698CA345-29FE-405D-BC1B-749ED1DB5E0F.jpeg

2C8EED91-2DE1-4E9B-A619-033FB2275064.jpeg

B8B7EDB8-8B8C-413D-9B7C-323D48895330.jpeg

22D6413E-3614-429E-9DA5-498649D00C7C.jpeg

897A51AD-54A5-43E5-8603-931606D902EF.jpeg

B32C05C5-3A52-4C32-9236-AF7F53256716.jpeg

9F08824D-98D3-4B0E-B300-B8C9A3097EDB.jpeg

Most of that looks pretty good!  A couple comments and questions: 

- Why are they skimping on the veg?  I thought budget-minded places filled the plate with veg.  

- I am so going to eat that spaghetti next time I cruise. 

- What is that dark dessert with two scoops of ice cream?

- What is that thing that looks like something in a pastry?

On 2/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, taglovestocruise said:

I don't have a problem with smaller portions; after all, we're having an appetizer, bread, an entree and dessert.  And we can't take any of it home for tomorrow's lunch.  

AS LONG AS big eaters like my son-in-law are allowed a second whatever without additional cost.  

On 2/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, ReneeFLL said:

... Another thing I really dislike is that when I would get 2 appetizers I could get them served at the same time ... 

Disagree ... I'd rather have them at the same time.  If it's offered, I'm ALWAYS getting the shrimp cocktail, and it doesn't take me long to eat four shrimp; I'd rather not wait for the second item.  I figured out quickly that the key is to SPECIFY YOUR PREFERENCE.  

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

No substitutions, no changes, no requests - dessert only - if you eat ALL the vegetables!

I have a problem with all of this.  I can understand limiting outrageous requests (I want what you served yesterday or a dessert that I think is up in the Windjammer), but even little mom and pop restaurantas can manage substitutions and changes.  I expect more from a cruise ship. 

As for the veg, if these plates are a realistic indication, it's not going to be hard to finish your vegetables.  Seriously, I eat 4Xs that much veg for dinner at home every evening.  

I know we’re supposedly not allowed to make any changes, but I notice that all the entrees always are covered in something, either gravy or some kind of sauce. I would like them without sauce. To me it’s always too salty.

has anyone tried to ask to serve entrees without the “gravy”?

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I know we’re supposedly not allowed to make any changes, but I notice that all the entrees always are covered in something, either gravy or some kind of sauce. I would like them without sauce. To me it’s always too salty.

Or with sauce on the side.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Yes-even with the new rules/menu, one can specify no  gravy/sauce  or  on the side with no problem. Same with most salads. Some salads are pre mixed. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes-even with the new rules/menu, one can specify no  gravy/sauce  or  on the side with no problem. Same with most salads. Some salads are pre mixed. 
m

Thanks! I like salad every night but I Can’t eat Caesar salad because of the dressing. I was hoping I could ask for it without it on the nights where that’s the only salad offered. 

Your beef looked good.  I wish I had taken a picture of mine on Allure this week.  It looked nothing like that and was like shoe leather, inedible.

Also it looked like your cookie had ice cream on top?  On Allure it was 2 cookies on a plate on formal night with a tiny garnish of whipped cream and a raspberry at the top of the plate.  I asked for ice cream but didn’t get any.  

I think they are working things out ship to ship as they go.

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Let's all make a pact:  Complain about this silly rule in your post-cruise survey.  Gravy /sauce /dressing on the side is hardly an outrageous request!  

I definitely had pre-mixed Caesar Salad out of a bag on Independence in December.  I eat that at home, but I expect a bit more when it's served in a restaurant. 

52 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

... Also it looked like your cookie had ice cream on top?  On Allure it was 2 cookies on a plate ... 

Two cookies on a plate is what I expect to pick up at Cafe Promenade ... not what I expect to be served as a dinner dessert in the MDR.

On 2/12/2023 at 7:06 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Most of that looks pretty good!  A couple comments and questions: 

- Why are they skimping on the veg?  I thought budget-minded places filled the plate with veg.  
I only really like carrots.   So every meal the adjusted the meal to add mashed potatoes and gravy and carrots.   So sometimes it didn’t look like much.    But I could have asked for more.    
but I was usually getting a entree as an appetizer so the small portions was ok with me.  

- I am so going to eat that spaghetti next time I cruise. 

this and the lasagna both taste like chef boy R D lol.  So have a back up plan in place when you get it. Just in case.  Lolol 

On 2/12/2023 at 7:06 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

- What is that dark dessert with two scoops of ice cream?

Chocolate  hot lava cake 

- What is that thing that looks like something in a pastry?

thats a brownie with cream top and a Carmel corn on top.