John Heald discusses new Carnival policy on gifts to crew from passengers

Honolulu Blue

On 2/8/2023 at 10:27 AM, ObstructedView2 said:

But leave your $2 bills at home. 

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

In this economy the $5 bill is the new $2 anyway.

So if the $5 bill is the new $2 bill, and we shouldn't use $2 bills, by this logic, now we shouldn't use $5 bills🤔?

2 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

So if the $5 bill is the new $2 bill, and we shouldn't use $2 bills, by this logic, now we shouldn't use $5 bills🤔?

Correct - don't use them. They should be sent to me instead. I know how to give them a proper burial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think this may be a southern thing.  My husband has gotten many edible gifts from patients before.  Sometimes they are cookies from Tiff's Treats or that Bundt Cake store, but we have gotten homemade stuff before, too. He has also gotten liquor, cigars, plants, homemade jellies, fresh fruit/vegis grown from yards, etc.  One patient even knitted him a blanket when we had our youngest son.  I also recall my neighbors bringing over casseroles, etc. when we had our children...and people definitely do this in the south when someone dies.  Casseroles and pies galore.  Another patient once bought him two bags of pecans from her yard.  In fact, when I was growing up in the 90s, many Sundays after lunch everyone would bring a dish and the whole church would eat.  And growing up my grandmother would always have "sweets" in her freezer to dethaw just in case someone stopped by her house she could quickly dethaw them.  And she did have people just drop by on a regular basis. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, momof4boys said:

Exactly   And all those folks wanting to give them deodorant and body wash.....YIKES   How does that make the person feel.. GIVE the $$$$$$$$

I brought extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. when cruising first started back up and crew were not allowed to get off the ship.  Some had been on for several months and were running out of stuff.  So they were really happy to get stuff they were out of.  Had one crew member ask if they could take some extras for their friends that needed some as well.  

I still tipped my normal.  This was just stuff they could not get at that time.  Now I don't bring that any more (because they are allowed off the ship again) I just ask them if there is anything I can get at port for them.  Usually it ends up being something they cannot get on the ship (a particular snack or drink) or something they have run out of and have not had time to get.  

Edited by kwbrad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kwbrad said:

I brought extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. when cruising first started back up and crew were not allowed to get off the ship.  Some had been on for several months and were running out of stuff.  So they were really happy to get stuff they were out of.  Had one crew member ask if they could take some extras for their friends that needed some as well.  

I still tipped my normal.  This was just stuff they could not get at that time.  Now I don't bring that any more (because they are allowed off the ship again) I just ask them if there is anything I can get at port for them.  Usually it ends up being something they cannot get on the ship (a particular snack or drink) or something they have run out of and have not had time to get.  

The crew are well trained to accept offered items with graciousness.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I think this may be a southern thing.  My husband has gotten many edible gifts from patients before.  Sometimes they are cookies from Tiff's Treats or that Bundt Cake store, but we have gotten homemade stuff before, too. He has also gotten liquor, cigars, plants, homemade jellies, fresh fruit/vegis grown from yards, etc.  One patient even knitted him a blanket when we had our youngest son.  I also recall my neighbors bringing over casseroles, etc. when we had our children...and people definitely do this in the south when someone dies.  Casseroles and pies galore.  Another patient once bought him two bags of pecans from her yard.  In fact, when I was growing up in the 90s, many Sundays after lunch everyone would bring a dish and the whole church would eat.  And growing up my grandmother would always have "sweets" in her freezer to dethaw just in case someone stopped by her house she could quickly dethaw them.  And she did have people just drop by on a regular basis. 

There is a huge difference between people who have an ongoing relationship and those whose employment can altered by a complaint of a guest who didn't care for their attitude.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've cruised with some of the same crew a few times. We still tip over and above. We know one of them liked kit kats, so we brought a bag of kit kats on a few weeks ago for him. He told us he had beer from crew bar and kit kats after his shift when we saw him the next day! We've also asked if we can get them anything in port. One said chips so we brought back some chips. One of our other fav bartenders will do her new contract on the ship we're sailing next. We asked her if there's anything we can bring with us for her and she asked for spicy chips and snacks.  It never reduces our extra tips, but we're happy to bring on something they enjoy that can make their day better. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The crew are well trained to accept offered items with graciousness.  

Yes I know, and they may have just been polite.  But around the same time when I asked crew what they needed at port, most were saying things like lotion, a new toothbrush, one asked for some laundry detergent.  So I got the impression they needed those things.  Remember that when cruising started back off many crew were not allowed off at ports for months.  

7 minutes ago, kwbrad said:

Yes I know, and they may have just been polite.  But around the same time when I asked crew what they needed at port, most were saying things like lotion, a new toothbrush, one asked for some laundry detergent.  So I got the impression they needed those things.  Remember that when cruising started back off many crew were not allowed off at ports for months.  

Just curious, I wonder what they'd say if you handed them a $5 instead of a bottle of lotion. Genuinely asking I am not beating you up. I can definitely see your point. When cruising first started back everything was in flux and I'm sure they had to stretch supplies thin.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Just curious, I wonder what they'd say if you handed them a $5 instead of a bottle of lotion. Genuinely asking I am not beating you up. I can definitely see your point. When cruising first started back everything was in flux and I'm sure they had to stretch supplies thin.

I would say that suddenly that bottle of lotion or toothbrush would lose all relavence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mz-s said:

Just curious, I wonder what they'd say if you handed them a $5 instead of a bottle of lotion.

They said thank you, because I did.  Regular tips, plus $20 on the first day, $5-10 each additional day, and $20-40 on the last day depending on how the week went.  I am not skimping on my tips because I also make sure they had toiletries they could not get at the time. I have sailed 7 times since cruising restarted, I started this after the first couple after multiple conversations with crew who had realized once they got on that they were having a hard time getting basic goods.  And the bottle of lotion was given to a steward who specifically asked me for that because she had run out and did not want to buy it onboard at the high prices and didn't know when she would be allowed off.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kwbrad said:

They said thank you, because I did.  Regular tips, plus $20 on the first day, $5-10 each additional day, and $20-40 on the last day depending on how the week went.  I am not skimping on my tips because I also make sure they had toiletries they could not get at the time. I have sailed 7 times since cruising restarted, I started this after the first couple after multiple conversations with crew who had realized once they got on that they were having a hard time getting basic goods.  And the bottle of lotion was given to a steward who specifically asked me for that because she had run out and did not want to buy it onboard at the high prices and didn't know when she would be allowed off.  

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I definitely recognize the restart was a different time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kwbrad said:

Of course they said thank you - their job depends on that.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Apples and Oranges.  Your husband is a doctor. Cruise ship staff are people that serve meals and clean rooms and try to make money to send home to their families.

I’m assuming no one in the history of the world has ever given a $5 tip to a doctor for their services

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

A lot of those things you mention would be something I'm used to also.   It is just that a church pot luck is not the same as giving a restaurant or housekeeping service person on a cruise ship home made food.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I can just about guarantee that I know what happened.  A USPH inspector found unsealed food in a crew cabin, and marked the ship down for it.  The crew are not supposed to have any open food in their cabins.  Even things like chips should be in individual serving packages.

Unfortunately that whole big bag of Doritos is an individual serving for me.   Although I guess the USPH inspector wouldn't find it unsealed unless I was actively eating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

A lot of those things you mention would be something I'm used to also.   It is just that a church pot luck is not the same as giving a restaurant or housekeeping service person on a cruise ship home made food.   

Oh, I agree.  And I do give tips rather than food. I was just saying that I could totally see some little, old southern lady making homemade candy or cookies for the crew.  This is very much something that I used to see a lot in "small town" Texas.  Even when I was going through ART, I once sent a big batch of cookies and desserts to my clinic.

Giving people you saw as less fortunate "hand-me-downs" was also a big thing in the small town I came from.  I used to get "hand-me-downs" from my "rich" cousin from Houston when I was a kid. I didn't mind it at all, though, because all her stuff was designer.  I even got her prom dress and it was amazing.  Granted, I would never give a cruise ship worker my old clothes or purses. (Although, now you can sell all that stuff on therealreal, etc. so giving them a gently used Chanel bag is probably something they would appreciate.) 

My point is just that I get why Carnival had to make the rule.  I don't think, however, that it is people being cheap. I think it is people trying to be thoughtful. In certain parts of the country and in certain circles, people consider it more thoughtful to give a small gift rather than cash to show your appreciation.  I suspect for purposes of thanking Carnival employees, leaving a thoughtful "Thank You" note with the cash is probably the best bet if you want to truly thank the crew. 

• Like 4

One, these people are paid to be nice and treat quest with respect. I would NEVER eat a homemade goodie from a stranger, but I am sure the staff feels like they have to because of their tip if they are offered something. Two, they don't have room to keep the stuff you give them. Give them cash, and they can purchase their own goods as needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[Just my ramblings on the topic and not "in response" to any particular post]

There is certainly a reasonableness and a level of absurdity in what gifts you might give to a crew member, but I am only aware of positive comments from crew members and folks close to crew members regarding receiving (reasonable) gifts.

From those in the industry and current and former crew members who post their experiences, it is my (and mine alone) conclusion that the biggest impact for crew members are, in order of meaning (again, just my impression) -

Praising the crew member by name to management and on surveys;

Leaving your auto-gratuity intact;

Additional tips;  and,

Gifts

So while gifts don't advance them in their job or provide more money, that personal thought is still appreciated by many workers.  

If I were a gift-giver (which I am not and I don't), I would feel comfortable in expressing my thanks and appreciation through appropriate gifts.  Of course, without skimping on the first three.  It doesn't have to be either/or.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

One, these people are paid to be nice and treat quest with respect. I would NEVER eat a homemade goodie from a stranger, but I am sure the staff feels like they have to because of their tip if they are offered something. Two, they don't have room to keep the stuff you give them. Give them cash, and they can purchase their own goods as needed.

I concur and if you have them homemade baked goods or hand me downs, I’m afraid they’d end up in the trash.

If you think you’re being thoughtful by giving them something they would send to their families back home, don’t forget they would need to spend money shipping this stuff to wherever.

Cash is king for these folks

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I concur and if you have them homemade baked goods or hand me downs, I’m afraid they’d end up in the trash.

If you think you’re being thoughtful by giving them something they would send to their families back home, don’t forget they would need to spend money shipping this stuff to wherever.

Cash is king for these folks

Can you imagine the spouse's response if they opened a package full of Detroit Lions' gear?  

• Haha 2

Retired teacher here -I used to shudder every Christmas and June when I would easily get 20 “Best / Favourite Teacher” Coffee mugs and smile and say thank you plus write a thank you card for parents. Multiply that by 30 plus years and we are talking well in excess of 1000 mugs donated to Goodwill.

While all gifts were of course appreciated, some (gift cards to book store, liquor store, coffee) were always appreciated more. Honestly, my favourite gift was a box of thirty pairs of socks because I was known for my patterned socks - one pair from each student - and I still remember each one of their names. Obviously - like a doctor this was something on a more personal level with people that you have some sort of relationship with it.  That being said gifts were never expected or solicited. 

I find it insulting that John Heald is encouraging gifts of hats and trinkets - it must be painful for those poor employees who are more than likely professionally educated and doing this job because it pays more than being a professional back home - to smile and say thank you for that 3 for $1 trinket and gush and say how grateful they are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Oh, I agree.  And I do give tips rather than food. I was just saying that I could totally see some little, old southern lady making homemade candy or cookies for the crew.  This is very much something that I used to see a lot in "small town" Texas.  Even when I was going through ART, I once sent a big batch of cookies and desserts to my clinic.

Giving people you saw as less fortunate "hand-me-downs" was also a big thing in the small town I came from.  I used to get "hand-me-downs" from my "rich" cousin from Houston when I was a kid. I didn't mind it at all, though, because all her stuff was designer.  I even got her prom dress and it was amazing.  Granted, I would never give a cruise ship worker my old clothes or purses. (Although, now you can sell all that stuff on therealreal, etc. so giving them a gently used Chanel bag is probably something they would appreciate.) 

My point is just that I get why Carnival had to make the rule.  I don't think, however, that it is people being cheap. I think it is people trying to be thoughtful. In certain parts of the country and in certain circles, people consider it more thoughtful to give a small gift rather than cash to show your appreciation.  I suspect for purposes of thanking Carnival employees, leaving a thoughtful "Thank You" note with the cash is probably the best bet if you want to truly thank the crew. 

Thanks.  You explained it well and I tend to agree.  

36 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Retired teacher here -I used to shudder every Christmas and June when I would easily get 20 “Best / Favourite Teacher” Coffee mugs and smile and say thank you plus write a thank you card for parents. Multiply that by 30 plus years and we are talking well in excess of 1000 mugs donated to Goodwill.

While all gifts were of course appreciated, some (gift cards to book store, liquor store, coffee) were always appreciated more. Honestly, my favourite gift was a box of thirty pairs of socks because I was known for my patterned socks - one pair from each student - and I still remember each one of their names. Obviously - like a doctor this was something on a more personal level with people that you have some sort of relationship with it.  That being said gifts were never expected or solicited. 

I find it insulting that John Heald is encouraging gifts of hats and trinkets - it must be painful for those poor employees who are more than likely professionally educated and doing this job because it pays more than being a professional back home - to smile and say thank you for that 3 for $1 trinket and gush and say how grateful they are.

I just knew it!  I should have been giving my teachers cash instead of those apples.   😄

• Haha 3