Queen Victoria

DaisyUK

Hi, as a relative newbie to Cunard (having sailed on QE and QM once each), we are now considering a QV cruise in November. My understanding from previous advice on these boards is that QV and QE are very similar, but I have just read some pretty damning reviews of QV which basically say that she is in poor condition. Any recent experiences of QV would be very much appreciated!

They're not similar, they're identical!

We were on board last November and I can guarantee there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ship.

I'm convinced that Cunard has two of each ship, because the ones that I've been on (more than a couple of dozen trips) rarely resemble some of the bad reviews.

Go for it!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

She was OK last August. I suppose some could say the cabin was a little ''tired'' if wanting to be super critical, but it was fine for us and made a very comfortable home for the ten days we were onboard. Maybe we're easily pleased.

We were QG and service all round, was impeccable; food great; cruise fantastic so something pretty drastic must have happened in five months.

3 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

They're not similar, they're identical!me of the bad reviews.

Go for it!!!

Almost. QE apparently can carry 20 more passengers, and some of the public rooms are slightly differently titled. I don’t think QV has a Café Carinthia. etc, etc.

15 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

They're not similar, they're identical!

We were on board last November and I can guarantee there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ship.

I'm convinced that Cunard has two of each ship, because the ones that I've been on (more than a couple of dozen trips) rarely resemble some of the bad reviews.

Go for it!!!

I spent an idle minute the other day, reading reviews of other cruise lines. Many of those were similar to those of Cunard ships, complaining about falling standards since Covid, lack of staff, dismal food, disappointing service, tatty ship, etc. I suspect dissatisfied passengers are very prone to post reviews, and, if the experience starts off badly, putting a passenger in a negative frame of mind, they can always find plenty of minor faults to criticise.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 3

I was lucky enough to cruise on all three Cunard ships last year. QV is certain no worse than the other two. In fact, in my humble opinion, I would say QE was in the worst state, if any of them are. I think you have to read reviews very carefully. I am always amazed at how one tiny thing not being right seems to ruin peoples cruise, and cause them to write a bad review.

QV is my favorite still, and I have already booked to go on her again this year. I am gutted that she will be sent off to do fly cruises in 2024 as I don't fly 😔

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

I was lucky enough to cruise on all three Cunard ships last year. QV is certain no worse than the other two. In fact, in my humble opinion, I would say QE was in the worst state, if any of them are. I think you have to read reviews very carefully. I am always amazed at how one tiny thing not being right seems to ruin peoples cruise, and cause them to write a bad review.

QV is my favorite still, and I have already booked to go on her again this year. I am gutted that she will be sent off to do fly cruises in 2024 as I don't fl😔

She is our home from home so we're gutted too, but, pastures new and all that and we have two QA trips booked so far for '24.

• Like 1

QE is our favourite but we sailed on QV as we only sail from Southampton so currently have no option. We had no complaints on the standard or cleanliness of the ship but 1 or 2 meals at lunch in PG were very poor quality. I just hope they improve for November when we go on her again.

Wow, thanks for the speedy responses!

I had to smile at the '2 of each ships' comment, and agree that people who have had a negative experience seem to post more than those with a positive or mainly-positive experience.

I will take a look at Roscoe's blog - thank you for the link.

We were fine with QE and QM2. It's true that they aren't as new and glitzy as Regent's new ships, which we also enjoy, but we have found different advantages to sailing with Cunard.

I have booked!

Looking forward to a cruise on each of the Queens this year, and hopefully QA next year.

• Like 3

We sailed on QV last August first time on Cunard and she was in great shape, public areas immaculate and marvellous staff. 

Her only downfall are her showers (Brittania class) are tiny and have curtains which cling.  I'm a size 12 lady and I felt cramped, I can't repeat my DH builders comments in polite company regarding them, ut was the only blight on  an otherwise great ship. 

I have to agree with the comments above. We found the QV in great shape when we. spent two weeks on her last Autumn. New thick carpets in the public areas and we also had smart new curtains installed in our cabin.

There seemed to be no lack of staff and the service in the MDR was excellent as was our helpful and cheerful cabin steward. The outside areas were well looked after and the rear of deck 9 was filled with chairs, tables, sofas and masses of sun lounges. Musical entertainment provided at lunch times, a takeaway food area, a bar and swimming pool drew lots of passengers in the good weather. 

We’ve booked again for this coming year and are sorry to hear that she will be moving to Europe in 2024. 

Edited by Petulia
Word omitted
  • Like 1

Im currently on board ...you may have noticed. ,... I couldn't praise her condition highly enough especially when I hear reports of the QM2 and the QE. She is definitely sparkling, the new carpets in the companionways and staircases are lovely, the good humour is evident in the staff....(and boy they need it if im on board) and the protocols around COVID seem to be working beautifully. I have not seen a single thing that indicates she is anything other than a very much loved and appreciated home away from home.

You will have a fantastic trip...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 4:33 PM, Victoria2 said:

She is our home from home so we're gutted too, but, pastures new and all that and we have two QA trips booked so far for '24.

Hello, we are going on QV in August, sorry if this post is not an answer to anything, but I have been trying to find a Roll Call for 20th August to no avail, I don't know how to start a post. Glad you liked QV I started to read reviews, best stop now and form our own opinions, we have been on QM and QE2 and various other cruise lines. Thanks for any help you can give us. We are Murray and Arlette from the UK.

26 minutes ago, Lady of the Nile said:

Hello, we are going on QV in August, sorry if this post is not an answer to anything, but I have been trying to find a Roll Call for 20th August to no avail, I don't know how to start a post. Glad you liked QV I started to read reviews, best stop now and form our own opinions, we have been on QM and QE2 and various other cruise lines. Thanks for any help you can give us. We are Murray and Arlette from the UK.

Some of the reviews are so negative as to strain belief. But, if I hadn’t been on the ships, I should be seriously considering cancelling. Again, it seems to be a case of the two ships phenomenon: the lovely one I go on, and the diabolical one that so often appears in reviews.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lady of the Nile said:

We are also on this voyage! Here is the roll call I just started -

Looking forward to meeting you on board 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, roscoe39 said:

Im currently on board ...you may have noticed. ,... I couldn't praise her condition highly enough especially when I hear reports of the QM2 and the QE. She is definitely sparkling, the new carpets in the companionways and staircases are lovely, the good humour is evident in the staff....(and boy they need it if im on board) and the protocols around COVID seem to be working beautifully. I have not seen a single thing that indicates she is anything other than a very much loved and appreciated home away from home.

You will have a fantastic trip...

Any word yet as to whether Queen Victoria's bottom will get a clean bill of health? With the issues with Queen Elizabeth, hopefully QV will pass inspection with flying colors. Missing the New Zealand ports would not be good.

1 hour ago, safarigal said:

Any word yet as to whether Queen Victoria's bottom will get a clean bill of health? With the issues with Queen Elizabeth, hopefully QV will pass inspection with flying colors. Missing the New Zealand ports would not be good.

On February 10, Roscoe reported the following information on the "Queen Elizabeth cleaning hull" thread. Hopefully this remains the case for QV.

On 2/10/2023 at 5:26 PM, roscoe39 said:

unrelated but was told last night at a party by one of the bridge officers that we (The QV) had been given clearance for the Bay of Islands, which is great news. our bum is as clean as a whistle.....

9 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

On February 10, Roscoe reported the following information on the "Queen Elizabeth cleaning hull" thread. Hopefully this remains the case for QV.

Fingers crossed, I don't know how they could be so confident so far in advance of their arrival in New Zealand. Plenty of ships have been caught out this season, not just Queen Elizabeth. 

• Like 1