Taxi Scam Fort Lauderdale Licensed Taxi

CaliforniaAC

This has happened to us twice, on two different trips. I am only going to relate the last one. 

If you get into a taxi at the cruise port in Port Everglades / Ft. Lauderdale Make sure that the driver starts the meter. 

We were going from the port to the Embassy Suites on SE 17th St. on November 11th 2022

The driver who picked us up, in the taxi line at the port got us in the car with our luggage. A few minutes into the ride I noticed the meter wasn't on (which I thought was odd) and asked him how much the fare would be. He said $30.00. I thought this was way off. When we were almost to the hotel, I said "You said $30.00?" and he replied "No, I said $40.00". Then I got mad. I took photos of the official sticker on the windshield, his taxi number, and when I got out, we paid him his fare, and I told him very directly that I was going to report him, and took a photo of his license plate. 

When we got to the hotel, he came back to me and gave me $10.00 back. I guess he thought I wouldn't report him.

Here is the information you should know that was on the sticker:

No additional charge shall be made for extra passengers or luggage

Rates: $2.95 for the first 1/6 mile, and 40 cents each additional 1/6 mile

$3.00 for fees starting at FLL (not the cruise port)

$13.00 minimum fare for trips that begin at Ft. Lauderdale / Hollywood Int'l Airport or Port Everglades Seaport

The distance between the cruise port to the Embassy Suites is 2.5 miles per Google. Our fare should have been $13.00 minimum fare.

To report any problems call (954) 357-5350

It doesn't matter which taxi company did this to me. There are 54 licensed taxi companies in Broward County. 

I hope this helps someone. I am posting this because I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

IMG_7611.jpg.dc2a12dc5e18db50cdb0c784760a3d76.jpg

• Like 4

Make sure they start the meter! You paid way too much for going from the port to Embassy Suites. Even $30 is a scam. It is a common scam in Fort Lauderdale because most visitors don’t know what the driver is doing. They have tried it on me. When I realized it I only gave him $20 at the end. Nothing he could do but accept that since he had not used the meter…..I prefer Uber in most cases than those taxi drivers. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CaliforniaAC said:

This has happened to us twice, on two different trips. I am only going to relate the last one. 

If you get into a taxi at the cruise port in Port Everglades / Ft. Lauderdale Make sure that the driver starts the meter. 

We were going from the port to the Embassy Suites on SE 17th St. on November 11th 2022

The driver who picked us up, in the taxi line at the port got us in the car with our luggage. A few minutes into the ride I noticed the meter wasn't on (which I thought was odd) and asked him how much the fare would be. He said $30.00. I thought this was way off. When we were almost to the hotel, I said "You said $30.00?" and he replied "No, I said $40.00". Then I got mad. I took photos of the official sticker on the windshield, his taxi number, and when I got out, we paid him his fare, and I told him very directly that I was going to report him, and took a photo of his license plate. 

When we got to the hotel, he came back to me and gave me $10.00 back. I guess he thought I wouldn't report him.

Here is the information you should know that was on the sticker:

No additional charge shall be made for extra passengers or luggage

Rates: $2.95 for the first 1/6 mile, and 40 cents each additional 1/6 mile

$3.00 for fees starting at FLL (not the cruise port)

$13.00 minimum fare for trips that begin at Ft. Lauderdale / Hollywood Int'l Airport or Port Everglades Seaport

The distance between the cruise port to the Embassy Suites is 2.5 miles per Google. Our fare should have been $13.00 minimum fare.

To report any problems call (954) 357-5350

It doesn't matter which taxi company did this to me. There are 54 licensed taxi companies in Broward County. 

I hope this helps someone. I am posting this because I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

IMG_7611.jpg.dc2a12dc5e18db50cdb0c784760a3d76.jpg

So many have been scammed there.  Also from the airport to the hotels on 17th St.  It should be about $12-13 .

We usually take Uber or Lyft.  At least you know up front the cost.

Sorry this taxi took advantage of you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Make sure they start the meter! You paid way too much for going from the port to Embassy Suites. Even $30 is a scam. It is a common scam in Fort Lauderdale because most visitors don’t know what the driver is doing. They have tried it on me. When I realized it I only gave him $20 at the end. Nothing he could do but accept that since he had not used the meter…..I prefer Uber in most cases than those taxi drivers. 

That's why I'm posting this. I agree, it's a common scam, I want to make sure other visitors are aware and hopefully know better. When you get in a line at the port with a hundred other people, and most are rushing to catch a flight, most would think that something like that won't happen. We've  been leaving out of Port Everglades for 20 years. 

We prefer Left or Uber too, and use their services when we travel. Getting out of the port is always a hassle.

Be aware, If you're going in and out of the port or airport make sure the driver starts the meter. If the driver doesn't, there's a problem. Take good care.

• Like 1

Yes. Not just in the islands you visit, but on your home turf as well.

p.s. My Mother paved the way from south eastern Kentucky to California as a twenty something about 1952. She came with another young woman for a vacation, then never left! 

• Like 1

BTW having them start the meter doesnt always work either. I was in a taxi alone from port everglade to Fll and I watched the driver start the meter however once we left the port area I looked at the meter and noticed it was off. I asked the driver about it and he said fare is $20 flat fee. As a female alone in cab at 730am I didnt say anything. When I got to the airport I handed him the fare and didnt tip him. Had he left the meter on I would have given him the same amount  or more anyway but I still felt scammed.

2 hours ago, LImom said:

BTW having them start the meter doesnt always work either. I was in a taxi alone from port everglade to Fll and I watched the driver start the meter however once we left the port area I looked at the meter and noticed it was off. I asked the driver about it and he said fare is $20 flat fee. As a female alone in cab at 730am I didnt say anything. When I got to the airport I handed him the fare and didnt tip him. Had he left the meter on I would have given him the same amount  or more anyway but I still felt scammed.

Not tipping was a good solution in your situation. Off course since he is off the meter he is still coming out ahead. I would report him but I would not tell him I was reporting him. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:11 AM, LImom said:

You did the right thing. Protecting yourself is number one. Sometimes we are going by gut instinct, ya know.

There are so many taxi scams in Ft. Lauderdale that I have to wonder if there's any point in reporting them.  The drivers obviously aren't concerned about it so perhaps the report is pointless.  Perhaps the taxi drivers wouldn't lose so much business to the ride shares if they were considered a reputable business.  For me, taking a taxi in Ft. Lauderdale is a last resort.  I only had to wait 3 minutes for my Lyft last month and I knew the price before I got in. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ericosmith said:

For me, taking a taxi in Ft. Lauderdale is a last resort.  I only had to wait 3 minutes for my Lyft last month and I knew the price before I got in. 

What was the cost with Lyft from the port to FLL.

We ran into the same scam last November out of PE, but only got soaked $20, so that's all we gave the driver when he dropped us at FLL. We used Uber yesterday for the first time in Fort Lauderdale, from the Renaissance to Terminal 2, it was painless and simple. We will be using it again to avoid the taxi mess when we disembark at T2 in a few days. How is the Uber pickup experience, is there usually a big crowd waiting for their driver, or is it reasonably easy for find your specific ride. We have the luxury of having a lot of time until our 1:30 flight so we may wait until most people are gone.

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We ran into the same scam last November out of PE, but only got soaked $20, so that's all we gave the driver when he dropped us at FLL. We used Uber yesterday for the first time in Fort Lauderdale, from the Renaissance to Terminal 2, it was painless and simple. We will be using it again to avoid the taxi mess when we disembark at T2 in a few days. How is the Uber pickup experience, is there usually a big crowd waiting for their driver, or is it reasonably easy for find your specific ride. We have the luxury of having a lot of time until our 1:30 flight so we may wait until most people are gone.

Not bad.  There’s a waiting area just outside the doors, straight ahead and you’ll see people waiting for private or shared rides.  

We order our pickup as soon as we get outside.  They are usually very close-by the area on cruise day.

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not bad.  There’s a waiting area just outside the doors, straight ahead and you’ll see people waiting for private or shared rides.  

We order our pickup as soon as we get outside.  They are usually very close-by the area on cruise day.

Excellent, thanks. We live in a semi-rural area where there my be a single Uber within 10  miles. I was amazed yesterday when I hailed our ride and the guy was at the hotel in less than 2 minutes. There were a lot of others available as well.  Getting a car to PE should be simple.