Sail and sign card

mexicobob

We will be on our first Oceania cruise in April on the Riviera. For anyone that has cruised on this ship since she was upgraded in December........do they still issue a card for purchases, room key, etc? Other cruise lines do not do that any more and assume one day Oceania will do the same.

If cards are still used.........do the shops on board sell lanyards?

Thank you.

37 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

We will be on our first Oceania cruise in April on the Riviera. For anyone that has cruised on this ship since she was upgraded in December........do they still issue a card for purchases, room key, etc? Other cruise lines do not do that any more and assume one day Oceania will do the same.

If cards are still used.........do the shops on board sell lanyards?

Thank you.

O still uses key cards for cabin entry and onboard purchases. You won’t see a lot of hole punched key cards on a lanyard on O ships - just not that “country club casual” vibe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

How sensitive are the key cards? Do they demagnetize easily? In my prior cruise life, I found that if I had my cell phone and cruise card in the same area, the card key would demagnetize and no longer work. Not an issue on the ship because I don't have my phone on me, but when getting off the ship, it is. 

I absolutely would never wear with a lanyard. 

Just curious. 

• Like 1

When manufacturers stop making women's clothing without POCKETS, I'll stop using a lanyard for my key card!

Seriously, I have bought a couple of small cell phone purses to carry my key card and phone since so many cruise lines now have daily schedules, specialty restaurant reservations, etc. on their ap so you need to carry your phone around the ship.  So, I'm also interested in the answer to the question about the sensitivity of the key card.

18 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

How sensitive are the key cards? Do they demagnetize easily? In my prior cruise life, I found that if I had my cell phone and cruise card in the same area, the card key would demagnetize and no longer work. Not an issue on the ship because I don't have my phone on me, but when getting off the ship, it is. 

Just curious. 

Many thanks,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, loriva said:

When manufacturers stop making women's clothing without POCKETS, I'll stop using a lanyard for my key card!

+1

I have quite a few pants without pockets. I carry a small purse with my key card but I do not consider a lanyard to be tacky. It can be worn discreetly tucked behind a shirt. 

To the OP - I just came off of RCI and they are still issuing cards to everyone. 

• Like 1

OMG  I am tacky then 

I did buy a lanyard  in the gift shop with  OCEANIA on it  so I guess they did not get the memo that it was tacky

Not sure if they still have them just go to reception & they will punch a hole in your card  for us tacky people

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Just curious. 

I've never had one demagnetize on O. It has happened on other cruise lines - one even got demagnetized by the snap on my clutch. Maybe I'm just more aware of it now? But I always have my keycard in a wristlet with my cell phone - I just try to keep them separated by something like the Currents folded up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Just curious. 

Hi  Yes they do demagnetize very easily.  I went thru 2 on a recent cruise on Insignia.

• Like 2

When I have set up Meet & Greets on the ships I always provide lanyards along with name tags.  I didn't realize that was considered outre.

But on one cruise (back in 2012, the Black Sea cruise) I was surprised to see that members in our relatively large group -- about 16 people -- took to wearing them all the time. I don't think they used them on board, mainly for our private tours.

My intent for providing lanyards and name tags is usually strictly for the Meet & Greet.  But I have to confess that I was pleased to see our members using them regularly!

Maybe they would not do so today ...

Mura

8 hours ago, SophieM said:

I tuck mine in the top of my bra. Works like a charm and never demagnetizes. :Of course, that doesn’t work so well with a turtleneck. 🙂

Ah, the infamous "bra purse"!  Yep, been there, done that.

I was just out looking this week for a casual dress for our upcoming cruise.  Not a single one I could find with pockets!  I voted with my pocketbook and did not buy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loriva said:

I was just out looking this week for a casual dress for our upcoming cruise.  Not a single one I could find with pockets!  I voted with my pocketbook and did not buy.

Haha, I just bought a cute dress that does have pockets! Hadn't considered it for a cruise... hmmm. I think it will work! 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 6:52 PM, LHT28 said:

If I have a belt loop on my shorts or pants  I hook around it

but I have worn around my neck

if you choose not to wear one fine  bet  no need to look down at others that  do wear them

I do  not always have a pocket  & I am not carrying a purse around the ship

JMO

Agree. Didn’t realise wearing a lanyard was not the thing to do in polite society … (I don’t necessarily do what others recommend, just what suits me as long as no others are harmed)!

I'm sorry for the person who said lanyards reminded her of work.

I can do the ‘down my bra’ trick but don’t really think rummaging around in there is polite either (or hygienic ha ha).

On a recent cruise (pretty average/ poor I have to say) we had a medallion which we had in a silicon watch band - that worked (no so much the cruise itself, though). It may be better when O switches up to some sort of medallion.

In the  meantime, a lanyard it is, sorry if it offends you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, loriva said:

very annoying   same with some slacks & shorts

I can sew  so have been known to put pockets in some of  my clothes but it is just a PITA

I think the designers should  think about the clothes they design for normal people

I vote with my wallet .....no pockets no sale

• Like 1