Move Up ?

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

We are in aqua class and finally got our elderly dad to go on the cruise, only he chose the infinate verandah cabin which means he cannot dine in Blu with us.  I just signed on his account and finally see move up offer, question, if I bid to move up to aqua class am I correct to think that he cannot choose his cabin?  He walks with a walker and needs one of us for assistance, we need to be very close to him should he need our assistance.  

All the cabins available are all aft which is far from mine, and a lot of walking for him to do.  

What would you do?  I am so confused to move him up or keep him where he is very close to us but he can't dine in Blu.

5 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

We are in aqua class and finally got our elderly dad to go on the cruise, only he chose the infinate verandah cabin which means he cannot dine in Blu with us.  I just signed on his account and finally see move up offer, question, if I bid to move up to aqua class am I correct to think that he cannot choose his cabin?  He walks with a walker and needs one of us for assistance, we need to be very close to him should he need our assistance.  

All the cabins available are all aft which is far from mine, and a lot of walking for him to do.  

What would you do?  I am so confused to move him up or keep him where he is very close to us but he can't dine in Blu.

Seems to me that taking care of your dad would come ahead of upgrading to Aqua class.  Stay where you are, be close to him.  

You can always pay to upgrade him to Aqua by calling Celebrity or the TA if that is how you booked.

There is absolutely zero guarantee that you will get anything with move-up.  

Plus if you move him you can also move your cabin.

If he stays in a veranda who will he eat dinner with?

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Seems to me that taking care of your dad would come ahead of upgrading to Aqua class.  Stay where you are, be close to him.  

Yes, the aqua class cabins available are all the way aft and too far from him, thank you.

54 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

With a move up offer you have zero choice of the room    I usually say expect the worst cabin in the category and be happy if you get a better room.

Yes, all the available aqua class rooms are all very aft, your right.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

You can always pay to upgrade him to Aqua by calling Celebrity or the TA if that is how you booked.

There is absolutely zero guarantee that you will get anything with move-up.  

Plus if you move him you can also move your cabin.

If he stays in a veranda who will he eat dinner with?

I will have to forfeit going to Blu, really booked aqua to experience blu, but it doesn't work out for me this time.

3 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I will have to forfeit going to Blu, really booked aqua to experience blu, but it doesn't work out for me this time.

Can you change your cabin location closer to an available aqua cabin for your dad?  Another thought…can you pay an up charge for your dad to dine with you in aqua?  I know this is done at times for upper suite guests regarding Luminae. 

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Can you change your cabin location closer to an available aqua cabin for your dad?  Another thought…can you pay an up charge for your dad to dine with you in aqua?  I know this is done at times for upper suite guests regarding Luminae. 

Hello.......Yes, but it will be so much walking for dad, he has his cabin right outside the elevator now which allows him a few steps to the elevator instead of walking a long way to it.  I was thinking of speaking to the person in charge in Blu and yes, offering to pay for him to dine there with us.  It doesn't hurt to ask, I also wrote special needs and explained this situation, asking them if he can dine with us 1-3 evenings and we would go for dinner around 7:45pm a bit after the rush.  I have no problem going to the dining room, but it be nice experiencing Blu for 2-3 evenings,  I certainly don't want to ask for too much, not expecting every night.  Your so kind thank you.

You now have 3 threads on this topic.   

A move up is not a guaranteed.   If you get it you cannot choose your cabin.  You will get a cabin that is open.  There no way that anyone would be moved out of a cabin to accommodate one closer to you

Leave it as is and dine with him in the MDR and purchase a few specialty restaurants if you want something extra 

Don’t put the staff in a situation that can jeopardize their job.   If you aren’t in Aqua Class or a suite you cannot dine in Blu

This may be harsh but what you are trying to do by asking for him to dine in Blu by paying extra is against their policy.  It would open up others doing the same and not fair to those that pay for the privilege of Aqua Class and being an exclusive amenity.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is not an option for Blu, only Luminae offers suite guest to pay for a guest and it certainly is not a guarantee. 
If there is one rule that is strictly enforced it is that only Aqua class passengers are permitted to dine in Blu. People pay a premium for it. Many people have tried one story or another to try to get their mother, father, friend etc into Blu only to be politely told no. I believe the opening poster has stated that this was a free cruise through the blue chip club and she paid a minimal amount to cruise in Aqua. She’s been advised many options for her situation with the best being to move all 3 of them to a suite and problem solved, all can dine together in Luminae or downgrade herself to the same type of cabin as her FIL so she wouldn’t then feel she was missing out on Blu.  As Miched has commented twice (here and another thread) it would be putting the Blu staff in a bad spot. 

Edited by CruisersTimesThree

Yes you can eat in MDR if you are in Aqua.   It's best to let the Blu hostess arrange it for you.  If you don't when you give your room number to the MDR they will probably just direct you to Blu.

To the OP.  On the first day you probably want to go to Blu when they first open and explain your situation and ask for arrangements to be made for your cabin to dine in MDR.

10 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello.......Yes, but it will be so much walking for dad, he has his cabin right outside the elevator now which allows him a few steps to the elevator instead of walking a long way to it.  I was thinking of speaking to the person in charge in Blu and yes, offering to pay for him to dine there with us.  It doesn't hurt to ask, I also wrote special needs and explained this situation, asking them if he can dine with us 1-3 evenings and we would go for dinner around 7:45pm a bit after the rush.  I have no problem going to the dining room, but it be nice experiencing Blu for 2-3 evenings,  I certainly don't want to ask for too much, not expecting every night.  Your so kind thank you.

Such a blessing to have your dad with you. I hope you can figure it out. Either way, have a wonderful time making memories! 😊

10 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Since your cabins are now close together and your intention is to consider your father's comfort,  if it were my father I'd forego Blu and dine with him in the MDR with a specialty restaurant in the mix.  Considering his advanced age and health issues I'd feel terribly bad knowing he is dining alone...even one night would make me feel so guilty..how could I enjoy my dinner in Blu, which BTW is not worth all the hype IMO.  Since you have 94 cruises by your signature, there's probably more to come.  Next time book Aqua again but cruise/dine without the angst you're feeling now.  He must feel bad as well that joining you is causing you this concern.

It seems you have your answer to the question I just wanted to mention that when traveling with my older relatives we rent a scooter and it makes all the difference in their ability to cruise. Ships are big and if you have balance issues it can be a safety concern. 

• Like 1